Give to get

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Give to get

Interested in what players people would be willing to trade in order to get something of quality back into the club - Steele, Marchbank, O'Mera , Weller ( just to use a few names mentioned).

AKA the next McEvoy deal

To me the obvious areas we seem to have extra are Ruck and smaller forwards

On the basis they must have some value to the opponents:

Longer
Savage

Sinclair
Templeton (may not be valued highly by others),

Others?

felix
Club Player

Re: Give to get

Lonie
Webster
Billings
Wright

lintonstreet
Club Player

This is a thread sure to fuel emotions but needs to be discussed as I"m sure the club is discussing as well!

It hurts but I'd be willing to trade:
Longer
Sinclair
Billings
Eli
Lee
Lonie

All have value

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Does Gilbert still have currency ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Interested in what players people would be willing to trade in order to get something of quality back into the club - Steele, Marchbank, O'Mera , Weller ( just to use a few names mentioned).

AKA the next McEvoy deal

To me the obvious areas we seem to have extra are Ruck and smaller forwards

On the basis they must have some value to the opponents:

Longer
Savage

Sinclair
Templeton (may not be valued highly by others),

Others?
You say all this but surely it's not a one-way street!

Would there be any teams out there chasing any of our better players with offers of more money or longer contracts?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
lintonstreet
Club Player

Zed wrote:Does Gilbert still have currency ?
Good question, I'm not sure.
He's 30 but still playing well and quite versatile.
Which club would want him most?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

lintonstreet wrote:This is a thread sure to fuel emotions but needs to be discussed as I"m sure the club is discussing as well!

It hurts but I'd be willing to trade:
Longer
Sinclair
Billings
Eli
Lee
Lonie

All have value
At Carlisle time, Richo said "Trade Billings? No! I want Billings, and his brother, and his other brother :shock: "

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert doesnt have external currency. .

Gilbert does have internal currency and the 'good bloke' factor going in his favour. Just won the best club man award. So he will be definitely staying on next year.

Will be his last year if Brandon White comes on.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Armitage
Lonie
Templeton
Longer

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Lol at Eli and Lonie. What the fork do you guys expect we'd get in return??

A placemat?

Drink bottle perhaps?

Get real

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigballs
Club Player

I hate to lose anyone, but we have to be realistic.

To get the players we need or some extra lower draft picks, we have to offer clubs someone that would fit straight in to their club, so I think Longer and Sinclair would be the two most likely and maybe Eli as an added bonus.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Longer, Eli, Lee and next season second round dp.

Also, I would be hesitant in trading out second year players like Lonnie and Sinclair who have demonstrated talent.

People wanting to trade Bilings are off their head.

Need to apply cost/benefit and the fundamental principle that you only trade a player if you think you're going to get something better and or the new player will fill a gap.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Well yes you have to give a player that is meaningful if you want a decent pick back - that's the Sophie's choice part of it. The ones that jump out to me:

Longer - a high pick who was playing regularly last year and was generally seen as a good young physical ruck if deficient in around the ground play. But the huge guys sometimes bloom very late in that area and a club might think he has great potential with his physicality and mongrel and high pick.

Roberton - 100 games and is showing some real maturity. Athletic 194cm players don't grow on trees. Plays back with height for good cover, pretty good off the deck, and pushes forward to score goals which coaches would love to piss off the oppo forwards and make them accountable. I think he's too valuable for us - is that Gilbo type extra cover defender but could also become a key defender if he can stack on a bit of weight. But if we are trying to land a Marchbank or other defender he might be seen as necessarily expendale with Carlisle and Goddard already as big defenders.

Newnes - I know people will think he sancrosanct - and he is valuable for us no doubt. But he plays a position and role that we do have some good young similar talent - White, Rice, DMac. I would actually love to see Newnes given a go as an out and out midfielder. He has amazing endurance, pretty good kicking. Might stuggle in the clearances but love to see what he could do.

Armo - is probably coming down the other side of the mountain and if it facilited a trade you might have to consider it for the long-term benefit of the team. A team like GC would love his experience and team first mentality. IF he could go into a team where he is like the 3rd or 4th best mid it would free him as he tends to get a fair bit of shut down work done on him.

Weller Other clubs would love his physicality and forward pressure and leadership. He's a funny mid-size not really being small or tall. If we felt with Paddy, Members, and Bruce we are well stocked with big talls - and then we want the other forwards to be smalls for nimblees. But Mav seems to be nimble enough really for his size able to play high and low. Unless he started getting pushed out can't see him going anywhere.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Well yes you have to give a player that is meaningful if you want a decent pick back - that's the Sophie's choice part of it. The ones that jump out to me:

Longer - a high pick who was playing regularly last year and was generally seen as a good young physical ruck if deficient in around the ground play. But the huge guys sometimes bloom very late in that area and a club might think he has great potential with his physicality and mongrel and high pick.

Roberton - 100 games and is showing some real maturity. Athletic 194cm players don't grow on trees. Plays back with height for good cover, pretty good off the deck, and pushes forward to score goals which coaches would love to piss off the oppo forwards and make them accountable. I think he's too valuable for us - is that Gilbo type extra cover defender but could also become a key defender if he can stack on a bit of weight. But if we are trying to land a Marchbank or other defender he might be seen as necessarily expendale with Carlisle and Goddard already as big defenders.

Newnes - I know people will think he sancrosanct - and he is valuable for us no doubt. But he plays a position and role that we do have some good young similar talent - White, Rice, DMac. I would actually love to see Newnes given a go as an out and out midfielder. He has amazing endurance, pretty good kicking. Might stuggle in the clearances but love to see what he could do.

Armo - is probably coming down the other side of the mountain and if it facilited a trade you might have to consider it for the long-term benefit of the team. A team like GC would love his experience and team first mentality. IF he could go into a team where he is like the 3rd or 4th best mid it would free him as he tends to get a fair bit of shut down work done on him.

Weller Other clubs would love his physicality and forward pressure and leadership. He's a funny mid-size not really being small or tall. If we felt with Paddy, Members, and Bruce we are well stocked with big talls - and then we want the other forwards to be smalls for nimblees. But Mav seems to be nimble enough really for his size able to play high and low. Unless he started getting pushed out can't see him going anywhere.
Sophies choice indeed!

Longer is the one you would think is most likely to be traded:
- Is the one player with currency that we already have coverage for. And indeed it would appear that Longer and Hickey cannot both be played in the one team without affecting the balance of your best 22.
- Hawks (who wanted him the year we gained him and who could still use him in the future), Blues, Dogs all could use him.

Armo is a hard one as yes would suit the Suns (though McKay is no where near the Gold Coast and it is probably easier to fly to McKay from Melbourne than the GC). But the Saints have just made him a life member. I could only see him sacrificed it was to help gain a truly elite player (ie O'Meara) as opposed for a like but younger player like Steele.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Longer
Armo
Eli
Savage
Lee
Lonie
Murdoch
Shenton
Sinclair