Free Agent

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Free Agent

So when do we go free agent, I still think it is too early this year, plus do we go for a big name, or a good name to build depth and fill needs.
Problem with a big name is salary cap and putting too many eggs in one basket.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Free Agent

Fyffe is available next year. He'll do

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Bruce G McAbee wrote:So when do we go free agent, I still think it is too early this year, plus do we go for a big name, or a good name to build depth and fill needs.
Problem with a big name is salary cap and putting too many eggs in one basket.
I'm not 100% sure but I believe they're chasing 2 free agents.

The_President
Club Player

Would rather keep building this core & keeping them tight.

Players will play for less if they believe in where the club is headed & if they want to stay apart of the group.

Going out and enticing someone to come for money will rock the boat - Steven is a dual B&F winner now - possibly a third on the horizon. Do we really want to bring someone in on coin and rock the boat?

Let them build & players will want to come and play for less to be apart of the success

derby Street
Club Player

The_President wrote:Would rather keep building this core & keeping them tight.

Players will play for less if they believe in where the club is headed & if they want to stay apart of the group.

Going out and enticing someone to come for money will rock the boat - Steven is a dual B&F winner now - possibly a third on the horizon. Do we really want to bring someone in on coin and rock the boat?

Let them build & players will want to come and play for less to be apart of the success
Other clubs bring them in.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Goose is king wrote:Fyffe is available next year. He'll do
Even if he became available he'd be worth $1million plus per year. Although he is a champion, given that he is not precisely what we need (we have many big inside mids), I wouldn't go there.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

The_President wrote:Would rather keep building this core & keeping them tight.

No all free agents will cost a lot of coin. We just need to be smart and pick the right people at the right time.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:
Even if he became available he'd be worth $1million plus per year. Although he is a champion, given that he is not precisely what we need (we have many big inside mids), I wouldn't go there.
Surely you're kidding?? If he was available and if he wanted to come, $1 mil is the minimum I'd be offering. He is the best player in the country and he is a marketing dream.
Alas, we have less than no hope of getting him to our club

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Surely you're kidding?? If he was available and if he wanted to come, $1 mil is the minimum I'd be offering. He is the best player in the country and he is a marketing dream.
Alas, we have less than no hope of getting him to our club
You have to get him on the park first

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I see no harm whatsoever in being open to all possibilities as far as recruitment goes. As our ladder position, and finals-playing prospects improve, we'll have lower draft picks, but on the other hand will be an attractive destination for some players coming to the end of their contracts. The trick, as always, will be to use our collective know how in order to recruit wisely. On the evidence of the recent past, I have no reason to feel apprehensive.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

We'd certainly be up for a FA now if they fit our requirements. We are looking like we won't get those really high draft picks for a while now. We need cream and if a quality FA comes up that won't cost us a pick then now is the time. We also have plenty of room in the cap to front end something right now (plus I think we are allowed to use Carlisle's unused salary in our cap next year from memory). As more players start pushing their salaries up as they develop (look at what Bruce was able to command) then it gets hard to squeeze them all in.

Trades on the other hand like for Prestia or JOM are another matter as you have to weigh what you are giving up in terms of young draft talent. Ideally we want to keep feeding real youth in to keep the development conveyor belt nice and steady. If JOM was interested in coming to us, it would be a really tough decision for the club in having to give up some serious picks to get him and take the risk on his injuries being recoverable.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I'm sure we could afford Fyffe. If we pay our players 95% of the cap next season then we can use 105% of the cap in Fyffe's first year on a front ended deal. Then everyone gets paid what they are worth and or what we can afford from then on.
Not likely to happen though. But the money would be there.

Playon
Club Player

Fyffe isnt a free agent until next year, which means we'd have to trade for him. 2 first rounders?
Apart from that what free agents are we talking about? Its fine to suggest we take one, but......

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="Playon"]Fyffe isnt a free agent until next year, which means we'd have to trade for him. 2 first rounders?
Apart from that what free agents are we talking about? Its fine to suggest we take one, but......[/quote]

That why I said he was available next year. Basically nobody is available this year anymore except Hurley if he chooses DFA

Playon
Club Player

I was making a general comment,not directed at you, and yes I'd only see Hurley as a possible.

hotdish
Club Player

Will be interesting to see if the saints chase Mitch Brown from West Coast.

When he's not injured, he always seems to be behind Mackenzie, Schofield, McGovern etc. Has had a few knee recos and other unlucky injuries and we have previously tried to chase him. I believe he even formally did request a trade to the saints in October 2012 when Cripps was also leaving to the eagles...

People will say he's injury prone, but I think he has on the whole had some bad luck and at times, lacked opportunity. Turns 28 in December and is the kind of backman (195cm) we need. I would love to grab him for free... Has 3 or 4 good years in him.

FA List: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-03/t ... agent-list

Previous attempt to recruit M Brown: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6503085877