If Paddy plays and Petracca plays.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

darylcowie
Club Player

If Paddy plays and Petracca plays.....

I Paddy plays and Petracca plays this week, I wonder if we will be subjected to another article on the AFL website along the lines of "this mob didn't want you" directed at Petracca, which is really just yet another thinly veiled snipe at our recruiting.

For what it's worth, I do think that Petracca is and will continue to be a better player than Paddy, but we already had plenty of big-bodied mids and we really needed to get a contested marking beast into our forward line.

Membrey is very honest and promising, but a bit-under-sized.

Bruce is really a swingman that Richo has used to fill the gap until Paddy matures.

Carlisle could also play a similar role to the one that Bruce plays now, but with more impact when he plays second ruck.

It wouldn't surprise me if Richo plays Carlisle at CHF instead of CHB next season, with Bruce moving behind the ball, where his agility could be more useful than Carlisle's.

So what started out as pissing contest about the Dees and our recruiting has morphed into a thread about our future forward line.

Thoughts anyone?

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: If Paddy plays and Petracca plays.....

As I hear it Paddy won't play. It seems that as it is his third concussion (albeit a minor one) this year, they have decided to give him an extended rest. It's a shame as he was really beginning to hit his straps. Some continuity would have been great for the kid leading into 2017.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote:I Paddy plays and Petracca plays this week, I wonder if we will be subjected to another article on the AFL website along the lines of "this mob didn't want you" directed at Petracca, which is really just yet another thinly veiled snipe at our recruiting.

For what it's worth, I do think that Petracca is and will continue to be a better player than Paddy, but we already had plenty of big-bodied mids and we really needed to get a contested marking beast into our forward line.

Membrey is very honest and promising, but a bit-under-sized.

Bruce is really a swingman that Richo has used to fill the gap until Paddy matures.

Carlisle could also play a similar role to the one that Bruce plays now, but with more impact when he plays second ruck.

It wouldn't surprise me if Richo plays Carlisle at CHF instead of CHB next season, with Bruce moving behind the ball, where his agility could be more useful than Carlisle's.

So what started out as pissing contest about the Dees and our recruiting has morphed into a thread about our future forward line.

Thoughts anyone?
Its my thoughts that any decision we made about Petracca has absolutely nothing to do with Saturdays game. No if, buts or maybe's. Carlisle isn't even playing yet and journo's are paid to make pointless comments about lots of things. We just need to win. Bruce was still a defender when we set after Paddy and the gap we need to fill; is the one that will cause a crater size divot across most of Etihad Stadium when Riewoldt retires. Bruce already has a spade in his hand and Paddy will have to get into a bobcat if he is gonna help.

Vazelos
Club Player

Look at Tom Boyd at the Bulldogs and what they paid for a player giving them plenty of head aches on & off the ground.
For a 2nd season Paddy is a gem and will be an elite key forward.
Problem is Petracca looks likely to be a gun mid fielder, what can you do?
Im happy with the call, scarcity of Paddys type made the decision a sound one.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Hope Paddy McCussion has some luck soon so that he can start stringing a few together and up the ante on his development.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote:For what it's worth, I do think that Petracca is and will continue to be a better player than Paddy, but we already had plenty of big-bodied mids and we really needed to get a contested marking beast into our forward line.
And by making this statement, you have lost me. What a redundant argument and post you have made.

Who likes apples? Who prefers oranges?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

How come Petracca's name was being pronounced 'Pertracker' at the start of the season but now the commentators - in between drooling over him - call him 'Pertrarker"?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

If we'd drafted Petracca supporters would be whining about not taking the big marking tall forward that Melbourne would be playing beside Hogan.

We'd be watching Bruce one out against 4 blokes (instead of 3) and hoping that Tom Lee would still be the answer as a tall forward.

I'm amazed that any supporters still think Petracca was the better option, especially considering some of the things that Paddy has been able to do this year.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I want to see Paddy do a Phil Narkle and adopt a helmet for the rest of this season. There are a number of players wearing them at the moment, and Paddy has more reason than most to wear one.

kp83
Club Player

darylcowie wrote:I Paddy plays and Petracca plays this week, I wonder if we will be subjected to another article on the AFL website along the lines of "this mob didn't want you" directed at Petracca, which is really just yet another thinly veiled snipe at our recruiting.
That really was one of the stupidest headlines I've read. Basically that could be said to any number 2 draft pick when they come up against a team that had pick 1. I know there was not much between these 2 players in particular but really it was just trying to make a story out of nothing.

FWIW, I think most intelligent people can accept that we made a good, sound decision. I still feel that this will be our trump card against the other emerging teams (Dogs, Dees etc) when the whips are cracking in a couple of years. That is, that we will have a very potent forward line with multiple options whereas theirs will be a bit one dimensional (Dees - Hogan, Dogs - Stringer). Anyway, time will tell...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Christian is a better player, I think it's hard to argue that... He was a better junior, he has looked far superior at Senior level at this point (VFL & AFL)

That's not to say Paddy isn't any good .... Before you all sook

Paddy may well be a good player, even a gun! I think Petracca has gun written all over him.
Yes Paddy can clunk them, he's quite slow and is a poor kick. If he gets his body right (ATM it's ordinary)
Christian is a bit of a freak. If he makes the most of his talent he will be a star.

Whether we should have selected one or the other depends on what you value more?
A power fwd
Or
A power mid

kp83
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Christian is a better player, I think it's hard to argue that... He was a better junior, he has looked far superior at Senior level at this point (VFL & AFL)

That's not to say Paddy isn't any good .... Before you all sook

Paddy may well be a good player, even a gun! I think Petracca has gun written all over him.
Yes Paddy can clunk them, he's quite slow and is a poor kick. If he gets his body right (ATM it's ordinary)
Christian is a bit of a freak. If he makes the most of his talent he will be a star.

Whether we should have selected one or the other depends on what you value more?
A power fwd
Or
A power mid
Just a question re Petracca as I haven't really seen much of him. Is he a genuine midfielder or is he more of a half-forward? Played most of his juniors as a forward no?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Forward come midfielder

Has a little bit of Fyfe about him with his power and explosiveness but not the height.
He also has that similar untidiness by foot that Fyfe has...

A bit of typical HF cleverness and is a goal kicker

Has not got the tank to be an out and out Mid but will go through there

I suggest 70/30

Paddy is a very typical FF/CHF
Is also very clever for his size

Paddy has a much more workman like attitude.