Dempster, Paddy to miss. Roo 50/50

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Dempster, Paddy to miss. Roo 50/50

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-07/f ... hit-saints

Dempster requires knee surgery and will miss a month.

Paddy should return after the bye.

Nick is 50/50.

Step up Tom Lee. Time to shine.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dempster, Paddy to miss. Roo 50/50

Well there you go. Injuries can severely impact on performance.
Maybe upgrade Coghlan and give him a go. He'd be more ready than some other guys having played VFL last year and doing well.
I don't mind this scenario as it gives Lee and a few others time to get established.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Beno88 wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-07/f ... hit-saints

Nick is 50/50.

It was like the kiss of death, that clean injury report last week.

Horrible news about Shinner. Hope the surgery sorts it out.

This week looks impossibly hard. Why not give Roo a rest regardless and go for broke on the "ins"?

Pierce, Lee, Minch, Lonie, Eli, even the Panther or Wright. Let's just have a crack, nothing to lose. As you say Beno, time to shine.

Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Forgot the Blacres. He's a mandatory in. And I wouldn't mind having a look at Coghlan either.

Always loyal
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I want Roo to play provide he's about 80% because it's Carlton who we hate and also there is a bye the following week for recovery

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Lee! Come on down.

Coughs might even get a run at some stage. Can someone remind me of the Rookie rules? I know we have an extra one up our sleeve because of Carlisle?

The cold hard reality is that Dempster and Fisher were always going to go down at some point. Dempster has had an incredible run with injuries the last few years.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 07 Jun 2016 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Tommy Lee! Come on down.

Coughs might even get a run at some stage. Can someone remind me of the Rookie rules? I know we have an extra one up our sleeve because of Carlisle?
Think we already upgraded Holmes with that spot. Should be a replacement for Goddard who moves to LTI list?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-07/f ... hit-saints

Nick is 50/50.

Tom Lee......... :roll: :roll:

saint4life
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Deep s*** is an understatement. We face a red-hot Carlton without our full back, full forward, possibly skipper and coming off an 80-point thumping.

The only positive is that it creates opportunities. So step up Tommy Lee, Blake Acres etc. We need you.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

jeepers

when it rains it freaking pisses down!

well i guess it creates some opportunities. some time for a few to step up and make their place (or not).

what would have been written down as a win preseason is now looking very very shaky

#1 Ryder fan
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Brutal! I had a bad feeling this would be the case.

A week ago, we were counting our blessings about how fortunate we were with our great run of injuries. Now they suddenly seem to be mounting up. Typical bloody St.Kilda luck!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Deep s*** is an understatement. We face a red-hot Carlton without our full back, full forward, possibly skipper and coming off an 80-point thumping.

The only positive is that it creates opportunities. So step up Tommy Lee, Blake Acres etc. We need you.
I thought Lee played some reasonably good footy in his couple of games only to be dropped, rather than getting valuable game time- too good to be in the VFL and should be a regular in the backline for the next few years. Acres will be a gradual improver, but getting dropped every a couple of games doesn't allow a player to settle and get used to the way his team mates play around him. Should be put in the middle for a few weeks regardless. I reckon Pierce will get a gig too.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Link here to Jamie Cox's interview earlier today. Actually worth listening to in full.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-06-0 ... concussion

Roo - had a "procedure" yesterday. Assume the knee was drained, but he didn't say that. Scans show no structural damage.

Paddy - no neck damage. Very cautious about saying he would be right after the bye. I think they are going the full cotton wool approach (good call IMHO).

Hugh - surgery later in the week. Definitely out for season but a possibility for early next year depending on rehab.

D-Mac - will be good to go. Could have played but a bit ill.

Shinner - this morning's surgery was for cartilage floating on the knee. AT LEAST 4 weeks.

Freeman. Described it as a hammy (i.e. not an event or a tightness or an "incident"). At least 3-4 weeks. Says they are still keep to get some games into him this year. Says they have completely rebuilt his training program. Says he is in good spirits and extremely professional.

Described Lee and Delany as "pretty similar players", so suspect only one will come in.

Always loyal
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ok so Murphy is definitely out. Kreuzer, Phillps and Gorringe all under an injury cloud meaning they might not have a Ruck.

Basically Roo has to play. We have a bye in two weeks.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

About time they gave Pierce a go to help Hickey out. Now that Paddy is out, leave Bruce at FF, he's not a ruckman. Bring Acres and Lee in and maybe Coghlan. We can still be competetive with Carlton.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Tommy Lee! Come on down.

Think we already upgraded Holmes with that spot. Should be a replacement for Goddard who moves to LTI list?
Ok so if the rules haven't changed I think that means we are able to promote a rookie after the bye?
And/Or we can put Goddard on the LTI and bring someone up immediately.

So we might have two upgrades up our sleeve remaining?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:About time they gave Pierce a go to help Hickey out. Now that Paddy is out, leave Bruce at FF, he's not a ruckman. Bring Acres and Lee in and maybe Coghlan. We can still be competetive with Carlton.
I reckon the Blues are ahead of us. I doubt they'd totally drop the soap on the road ... Twice. It's really hard to come back from crap like that. Of course I'd be delighted to be proved wrong

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:About time they gave Pierce a go to help Hickey out. Now that Paddy is out, leave Bruce at FF, he's not a ruckman. Bring Acres and Lee in and maybe Coghlan. We can still be competetive with Carlton.
I reckon the Blues are ahead of us. I doubt they'd totally drop the soap on the road ... Twice. It's really hard to come back from crap like that. Of course I'd be delighted to be proved wrong
Most of our team will be fresh as they didn't try nor get near the ball. That's a positive for this week!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

This, unfortunately, is a great opportunity to see what the side could be like when the more experienced players are no longer there.

With both Fisher and Dempster out of the back line it brings opportunity to see what a future backline would look like without those two (albeit also without Goddard). The only talls we have at Sandy are Lee, Delaney and the rookie Coughlan. Delaney is a bit slow and probably could only play on the gorillas like Close or maybe Hawkins. Robertson might be tall but he plays small. I reckon we need to have a good look at Lee and also promote Coughlan to see how far away (or close) he is. If we upgrade Coughlan we still have a midway upgrade option as well.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

From what I've gathered Dempster came into the game considerably less than 100% and played like it.

I don't know what others saw, but i would be really disappointed if that was the case and guys like Lee, Delaney etc missed out to an injured guy.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Oh dearie me Dempster will be sorely missed.......... he covers for every player down back.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

was very confident before last week, and still would be despite the thrashing. We have crushed non top eight teams this year. but the injury toll has me doubting. no time to rest players, we need our best 22 available.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote: Described Lee and Delany as "pretty similar players", so suspect only one will come in.
While they can both play as key defenders I would say they are chalk and cheese.

Lee excellent kick and good offensively and handy intercept mark pulling down good numbers of marks. Coaches reoprtedly concerned about defensive aspects of his game.

Delaney is basically the polar opposite. Good defenseively, but witha poor offensive game.

With Fisher, Dempster and Goddard all injured there would even bea case to say play Delaney at FB and Lee at CHB. If I had to go for one it would be Lee.

While this week they will not play a giant forward line, it is not tiny either:

Everitt: 194
Walker: 190
Casboult: 199

Cripps who will push forward is 193

Gilbert 194 and Robbo 194 do not play key defender games despite their height. Gilbert who started the year well has also been quite poor the last 4 weeks and in this period he has played asa defender in the main.

Coughlan at 195 could be a smokie to be promoted. He is however at present lightly built. So you would expect him to be more of a flanker than key defender in the seniors at present.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
supersaints
Club Player

My info is that SOS ( or SOSOS) ----Son of Son of Sos will play at full forward because they consider our backline severely weakened, and it will be a good game to blood him, he looks pretty good to me

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Roo won't play. Don't think Motley will either.