Tony 74, What's up with Billings?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Darth Vader
Club Player

Tony 74, What's up with Billings?

Is he injured, out of form, ahead of himself, down on form/confidence, does he want to be there? Been down for a while now. Anyone on the inside know if there's anything going on?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tony 74, What's up with Billings?

And what's up with Armo? Injured?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he got his leg caught in a tackle at the end of the 1st quarter which hindered him for the rest of the game. Didn't look right after that.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:I reckon he got his leg caught in a tackle at the end of the 1st quarter which hindered him for the rest of the game. Didn't look right after that.
But it seems he hasn't done that much for the last handful of games.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Darth Vader wrote:Is he injured, out of form, ahead of himself, down on form/confidence, does he want to be there? Been down for a while now. Anyone on the inside know if there's anything going on?
Expectations are very high it seems.

Don't forget this kid is 20 years old, third season of senior footy, two injury plagued seasons, just 34 games..... and he's already averaging 21 touches a game this season (career high).

Jack is fine, and will be fine.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:Is he injured, out of form, ahead of himself, down on form/confidence, does he want to be there? Been down for a while now. Anyone on the inside know if there's anything going on?
I think he has been just going from the onset.

I understand he is only 20-21 and still developing but there is a reason he hadnt given away a free kick in 2 seasons, the kid is soft! He displays not one ounce of aggression or mongrel. For his size he was meant to be an elite overhead mark, but I am yet to see him win a one on one contest. He is poor at the breakdowns and is rapidly turning into another BJ, just being used on the outside because of his kicking but cant win his own ball.

I know I probably have unrealistic expectations on the kid due to his age, but other kids who are younger and even smaller eg Gresham and Lonie have shown more ticker in their few games than Billings has.

Give up on recruiting nice guys Trout - start looking for some with some mongrel and presence about them!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:

I understand he is only 20-21 and still developing but there is a reason he hadnt given away a free kick in 2 seasons, the kid is soft! He displays not one ounce of aggression or mongrel. For his size he was meant to be an elite overhead mark, but I am yet to see him win a one on one contest. He is poor at the breakdowns and is rapidly turning into another BJ, just being used on the outside because of his kicking but cant win his own ball.

I know I probably have unrealistic expectations on the kid due to his age, but other kids who are younger and even smaller eg Gresham and Lonie have shown more ticker in their few games than Billings has.
Ice got to concur with this.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:

Give up on recruiting nice guys Trout - start looking for some with some mongrel and presence about them!
"turning into another BJ" is a putdown?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Impatient Sainter wrote: He is poor at the breakdowns and is rapidly turning into another BJ, just being used on the outside because of his kicking but cant win his own ball.
Must be doing something right if he's turning himself from a number 3 draft pick into a number 1. A number one that has proven over time to be the correct pick and has been a super player.

As will Billings.

Clearly just going through a tough patch, which will make his explosion into the top 20 players in the comp in a year or two even more exciting.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:

They take time to come on. Quit being so impatient

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Impatient Saints is not even a member. All he does is pot our players.

Buy a membership <edited by mods>

Not a supporter in my opinion.

You are garbage - Enough said
Johnny Favier
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:

Sorry...I not only disagree, but I actually think that post is a load of sh1te. Oh....actually...NOT sorry...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do we remember how Ball, Dal and Roo performed in their 3Rd year.

How is Cripps, Bont amongst others going

Age is used as an excuse if needed

The kid is good, no question
But I do ? His intensity... He is a Mark Waugh... Looks good... Does he get the best out of himself?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Do we remember how Ball, Dal and Roo performed in their 3Rd year.

How is Cripps, Bont amongst others going

Age is used as an excuse if needed

The kid is good, no question
But I do ? His intensity... He is a Mark Waugh... Looks good... Does he get the best out of himself?
The kid had 30 possessions against Collingwood, 27 against Hawthorn and is averaging around 22 possies per game in his 3rd year of senior - not forgetting he is coming off a very serious injury last year

His overall key stats are virtually the same as Bontempelli and Josh Kelly - yet apparently he is not getting he best out of himself???

Seriously there are stupid things posted on this site every so often but those questioning Billings development are complete numpties and show their complete lack of intelligence regarding player development

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Even comparing Cripps with Billings is laughable - totally different type of player - one is totally inside and the other is mainly outside - doesn't mean that one who gets the ball on the inside is the better player - though some on here seem to think that

Cripps is "see ball, get ball, hand ball" - he may get more contested possessions and more tackles due to his inside work but he is a below average kick and doesn't kick many goals either

Whereas Billings has foot skills to burn and usually uses it to our advantage - also likes a goal does Jack and he also averages more marks than Cripps

We have others in our team that were recruited to do the job that Cripps does and Billings was recruited to provide classy outside run so I don't even see how the two are closely comparable

Billings is tracking absolutely fine and if he can get thru the season uninjured and put in a full pre-season we will see him break out even further next year

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do you believe he has the same impact as Bontempelli... Cmon ... Seriously

He had some good games early... But average lately ... Everyone keeps suggesting he's a star, he not there yet

Honestly... He's looked sluggish, even lazy and has been very outside

I have no doubt over his talent

But ATM he looks down

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Impatient Saints is not even a member. All he does is pot our players.

Buy a membership <edited by mods>

Not a supporter in my opinion.
Bunk it is well known the club has up to 700k supporters with 37k members, so really that is a dumb comment. You dont have to be a financial member to support the club. I have been a member for a lot of years but I just got sick of the off field disasters our club seems to find itself in and made a statement.

I have never lived in Melbourne so I dont get the value of the membership that most do and the club has never seemed to value interstate members, for what they are 'donors'. You know if they sent you a team poster or even some decent memorabilia it would make you feel valued, but they dont.

On potting players - I have criticised Jack because I think he is cruising and not delivering on his potential. I want more for him and the club which I think he can deliver but he needs to put his nose down and fully commit. As is the case for any other player that gets critiqued.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Do you believe he has the same impact as Bontempelli... Cmon ... Seriously

He had some good games early... But average lately ... Everyone keeps suggesting he's a star, he not there yet

Honestly... He's looked sluggish, even lazy and has been very outside

I have no doubt over his talent

But ATM he looks down
So funny how you are happy to compare Billings with probably the number 1 rated player under the age 21

Ok lets do it

Bontempelli before this season had played 41 games - no major injuries of note / Billings had played 25 games and was coming into this year off a serious injury enough to put him out half a season last year

Disposals - Bont 209 / Billings 189
Marks - Bont 23 / Billings 36
Tackles - Bont 26 / Billings 31
Shots at goal - Bont 14 / Billings 8
1% - Bont 14 / Billings 8
Goal Assists - Bont 3 / Billings 9

So it seems against the no 1 rated U21 player in the land Billings stacks up plenty

Considering also that Bont plays in a slightly more developed team I would say Billings is tracking just fine

Bont has been on fire over the last 3 games whereas Billings did well earlier in the season - in fact a whole lot better than Bont

There wouldn't be one young player in the land that goes thru tough stages - and it seems no one realised that Billings was off for nearly a quarter on Sunday and down in the rooms with an ankle issue

Anyway nothing to see here - keep questioning his ability, lack of interest and laziness - even when the proof of his efforts this year have actually stacked up against one of if not the best rated youngsters in the land

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: I have criticised Jack because I think he is cruising and not delivering on his potential
Well he is cruising alongside two of the best rated youngsters in the land in Bontempelli and Josh Kelly

At a quick look his stats are also extremely comaparable against Luke Ball And Dal Santo in their 3rd years

So shove that up your critique

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Billings is the least of our worries surely?
We just need 16 good players and 6 very good players and we are sorted. We dont need a star.

devil saint
Club Player

This is the biggest load of rubbish. Billings is an absolute gun and has an obvious growth mindset that will hold him in great stead as he progresses through his career. The reason he doesn't give away frees is not because he is soft; rather, he seems to have a clarity of mind that ensures limited errors. Granted, he didn't have his best games yesterday but none of us are always at our very best. He has shown so many glimpses of brilliance and I would put a lot of money on him winning a Brownlow one day. Absolute gem and I am thrilled he is ours.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

devil saint wrote:This is the biggest load of rubbish. Billings is an absolute gun and has an obvious growth mindset that will hold him in great stead as he progresses through his career. The reason he doesn't give away frees is not because he is soft; rather, he seems to have a clarity of mind that ensures limited errors. Granted, he didn't have his best games yesterday but none of us are always at our very best. He has shown so many glimpses of brilliance and I would put a lot of money on him winning a Brownlow one day. Absolute gem and I am thrilled he is ours.
Devilhead concurs with Devil Saint :twisted:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote: I have criticised Jack because I think he is cruising and not delivering on his potential
Well he is cruising alongside two of the best rated youngsters in the land in Bontempelli and Josh Kelly

At a quick look his stats are also extremely comaparable against Luke Ball And Dal Santo in their 3rd years

So shove that up your critique
Luke Ball's career amounted to zip and Dal Santo was and still is soft as butter. Great reference Devilhead you win....

saintbob
SS Life Member

WTF do some people watch whilst they're supposed to be watching the footy?

Billings would be in the top 5 or 6 in our B&F if it was counted right now, the kid will be a champion for the St Kilda Football Club for the next 10-12yrs

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:WTF do some people watch whilst they're supposed to be watching the footy?

Billings would be in the top 5 or 6 in our B&F if it was counted right now, the kid will be a champion for the St Kilda Football Club for the next 10-12yrs

This!!

#1 Ryder fan