Jade Gresham

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mordi
Club Player

Jade Gresham

How good is this kid. Now in the starting centre 4 on occasions. Awesome talent.

What's the Point of it All?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jade Gresham

It's great he can legit hold his spot for next week...

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

He'll be an absolute gun in a couple of years.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Great first qtr, disappeared in the middle of the game and played well again in the last.

Certainly has poise for a 1st year player and shows a lot of courage getting in under packs

#1 Ryder fan
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Certainly has no trouble getting his hands on the footy, and his decision making will improve with experience.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Is young, going ok as knows where to be and is hard at it...but like many young players is rushing his ball use so is wasting his disposals.

Will get better with experience.

No doubt will be in and out of the team for a year or two along with some of our other young emarging players like Lonie, Acres etc.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mordi
Club Player

I actually think he's ahead of most of our young guys , at the equivalent stage, i.e. season one , handful of games.

Wombat15
Club Player

Can someone explain to me what Gresham is? his role confuses me because he doesn't seem to cope with playing up forward. seems to get caught out a lot and his defensive/man marking seems suspect. I'm sure the kids going to be good, he statistically tested very very well at the combine and was highly rated amongst his peers but what role is he? where's his best position?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

As a head to head got the chokkies over Parish, however he was in a dominant midfield and Parish has been thrown to tbe Wolves

You are garbage - Enough said
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:Can someone explain to me what Gresham is? his role confuses me because he doesn't seem to cope with playing up forward. seems to get caught out a lot and his defensive/man marking seems suspect. I'm sure the kids going to be good, he statistically tested very very well at the combine and was highly rated amongst his peers but what role is he? where's his best position?
McDonald-Tipungwuti was his opponent for most of the day and he killed us coming out of defence. Comprehensively beat Gresham, who I though needed to be much more accountable. With that said, Gresham is improving, making quicker decision and taking the game on. If this is what is needed to fast-track his development, so be it. Though right now Sinclair offers a lot more in the same role.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:Can someone explain to me what Gresham is? his role confuses me because he doesn't seem to cope with playing up forward. seems to get caught out a lot and his defensive/man marking seems suspect. I'm sure the kids going to be good, he statistically tested very very well at the combine and was highly rated amongst his peers but what role is he? where's his best position?

Well what he will be is a midfielder. Most likely inside mid.

However is currently being used as a small forward while being introduced to AFL level football. . This does not really suit his skillset at least at AFL level.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

A lot of kids burst on the scene

Templeton, Lonie, Dunstan were impressive early doors

carn_sainter
Club Player

He is a natural midfielder, inside-outside. Reminds me a little of Diesel Williams' ability to get hands on the pill and find space in tight. Williams was a dog, whereas Gresham is sportsmanlike, but he is a natural bonafide midfielder.

Still struggling with poise and ball use a little bit but that will come...anyway, he will be an absolute beauty. I think he also needs to trust his boot a little bit more but part of that is just getting some game time under your belt with this group of players. No doubt he will only get better and better.

I rank the young smalls on the list Gresham, Sinclair, Minchington, Lonie at the moment.

mordi
Club Player

carn_sainter wrote:He is a natural midfielder, inside-outside. Reminds me a little of Diesel Williams' ability to get hands on the pill and find space in tight. Williams was a dog, whereas Gresham is sportsmanlike, but he is a natural bonafide midfielder.

Still struggling with poise and ball use a little bit but that will come...anyway, he will be an absolute beauty. I think he also needs to trust his boot a little bit more but part of that is just getting some game time under your belt with this group of players. No doubt he will only get better and better.

I rank the young smalls on the list Gresham, Sinclair, Minchington, Lonie at the moment.
Agree with all you've said there. One thing with Sinclair and Lonie, both are still small bodied (understandably with limited pre-seasons). But Gresham appears to be much stronger, or maybe its just his body type.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:A lot of kids burst on the scene

Agree. The Gresh whilst good now seems a year or two off being ready

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
BigMart wrote:A lot of kids burst on the scene

Agree. The Gresh whilst good now seems a year or two off being ready
Templeton was not impressive IMHO - eye catching yes. A few good moments.

Lonie was more solid and will have a future.

Dunstan streets ahead and remains so.

Gresham will be good but how good will depend on his ability to up his decision making in traffic. Already has the moves to get in and out of contests, somethings that Luke Dubstan is still working on.

My opinion Dunstan will be best, then Gresham, then Lonie.

Templeton I have severe doubts.

Prefer Minchington to Tempketon.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think Lonie will be the best (actually Sinclair) because he can physically develop more and has more tricks.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair will be a beauty. He is another conversation!

Do you think Lonie will become a midfielder? I don't. Would love to be surprised.

Would love to see templeton played off half back to see if he can be a creative rebounding defender before fuklly assessing him.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saintbob
SS Life Member

Gresham is tracking well, i think he really needs to work on adding goal kicking to his bag of tricks to survive.

We've got way too many blokes his size and that also play his position, I currently rate them in this order:

1 Billings
2 Sinclair
3 Weller
4 Gresham
5 Minchington
6 Lonie
7 Templeton

I imagine in the next few years 3 of these blokes will no longer be on our list, just reverse the list from 7-1 and that's the order in which I believe they'll go.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Memories short

Last year we rated Lonie very highly

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have NO idea who is going to end up the best out of Dunstan, Lonie, Sinclair, Gresham and Templeton.

Dunstan probably the safest bet if you had to bet on it because he is already solid.

But I think someone will rise to a new level at some stage. I just have no idea which one it will be at this stage.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:I have NO idea who is going to end up the best out of Dunstan, Lonie, Sinclair, Gresham and Templeton.

Dunstan probably the safest bet if you had to bet on it because he is already solid.

But I think someone will rise to a new level at some stage. I just have no idea which one it will be at this stage.
Gilbert.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:I have NO idea who is going to end up the best out of Dunstan, Lonie, Sinclair, Gresham and Templeton.

Interesting to read Paul Hudson's comments on the VFL players from last weekend

Eli .. "looks like an AFL player playing VFL"

Hudson is a pretty good judge and he may well be the surprise package out those.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I concur with Hudson and have been a fan of Eli since day one. Don't underestimate the effect of that badly broken arm Eli suffered in his first year. He's slowly getting his confidence back. Reads the game well, has a burst of speed and kicks reasonably well. Running/rebounding defender, perhaps?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Jade Gresham reminds me a lot of Dan Hannebery if he develops as Hannebery has Trout will have had a big win!