The Road Home for 2016

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Road Home for 2016

Granted, last Sunday's result really took some of the gloss off of what had previously felt like a very progressive season. But here's the good news: there is still plenty more to be excited about, as the fixture for the remainder of the season doesn't really seem all that daunting. I, for one, am licking my chops over the prospect over the next four weeks (yes, even the game in Adelaide). I'm generally more of "take it week by week" kind of a Saints supporters, but there's plenty to be optimistic about. Here lies a fantastic challenge to notch up a few more wins and really finish the season on a high note: http://www.sfnews.com.au/#!what-does-th ... -like/c3xf

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: The Road Home for 2016

We should go at least 7-7 for the rest of the season.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we'll win 7/8 games

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I reckon we'll win 7/8 games
I hope it's 8

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

There's certainly more than several that are must win and should definitely win;
Both Essendon games at Etihad,Carlton at Etihad, Brisbane at Etihad.
There are also a few games that are classified as more than likely we will win given those sides' current form and their injuries; Freo at Etihad, Gold Coast at Gold Coast, Carlton at the MCG. Reckon on talent we can win all of these, but could drop one.
Then there are the 50/50 games - those games we are capable of winning, but could also get touched up in as these teams' lists are ahead of ours in terms of development. These games include: Bulldogs at Etihad, Melbourne at Etihad, and Richmond at the MCG. I think we are only likely to win one of these (and it will probably be Melbourne, given we match up on them well).
At the beginning of the season I thought we'd win 7 games all year and finish 5th from the bottom of the ladder. I still think that we'll win 7 games in 2016, but based on our run home, we could win as many as 9, which would put us 1 year ahead of schedule. I'll still predict we only win 7, but then again I only thought we'd win 2 last year and we won 6 and drew another. A lot of our progress this year should occur in the next 8 matches. If we capitalise on these next 8 games we will have a reasonable year. The future begins tomorrow.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Yeah it is a good run home and gives us an idea of where we are at with lots of teams in our weight division. That's how they design the draw these days if you finish in the bottom third you play a lot of bottom third teams. But Melbourne, Carlton, GC even Freo I don't see as easy beats. Will be good to see exactly where we are at.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Yeah it is a good run home and gives us an idea of where we are at with lots of teams in our weight division. That's how they design the draw these days if you finish in the bottom third you play a lot of bottom third teams. But Melbourne, Carlton, GC even Freo I don't see as easy beats. Will be good to see exactly where we are at.
Must beat Carlton at Etihad, at the G will be a challenge, must beat GC Suns as they have just become the first side since the 1890s to lose 4 games in a row by more than 70 points, and we surely will beat an interstate side at Etihad who haven't won a game yet.

But I agree with you that Melbourne are definitely not easybeats and Carlton will be hard to beat at the G.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 22 May 2016 12:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

I was going to start a rare thread (or even a rare post at all from me about this).

But do you realise that in the first 8 weeks of the year we have only played sides that are currently in the top 11.

Most commentators believe they are the only sides capable of making the 8 and we have played 8 of those 11 and none of the bottom 6 (apart from us).

We have beaten 2 (admittedly 2 outside the 8), run 3 close and were flogged by 3.

We now play 8 out of 14 against the bottom 6.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:I was going to start a rare thread (or even a rare post at all from me about this).

But do you realise that in the first 8 weeks of the year we have only played sides that are currently in the top 11.

Most commentators believe they are the only sides capable of making the 8 and we have played 8 of those 11 and none of the bottom 6 (apart from us).

We have beaten 2 (admittedly 2 outside the 8), run 3 close and were flogged by 3.

We now play 8 out of 14 against the bottom 6.
That's a weird kind of double edged sword though. It's ok playing the top teams with no real pressure to win and just being able to let rip. But its different with teams at our level and with some that we will be fully expected to beat. That brings it's own sort of pressure and weight with it and lends itself to a much better analysis of where our list is at and more media scrutiny if we do lose those that we should win. We can't hid behind "oh we are a rebuilding team" because we are playing equally rebuilding teams or teams fallen in a hole.

I hope Richo doesn't go into full "win at all costs - get as many wins as possible" mode during this softer fixture period. This still needs to be a development, experimental, blooding youngsters year - weighing that up with wanting to be competitive.

Playon
Club Player

How many chickens will we have? :)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think we will finish the year on 8 wins. Still better than last year's 6.5.