Jeff Gartlett

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jeff Gartlett

Hit the scoreboard 27 games in a row!!!

Tore Ricmonds small defenders apart last week

Hardly a touch today

Who was his opponent?!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jeff Gartlett

"Like"

:-)

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Wasn't the same bloke who kept Rioli to bigger all a couple of weeks ago by any chance?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

He's got a few heads now this year. Haters gunna hate though.

May it have been the same guy shadowing dalhaus around the other week also....

felix
Club Player

it's funny how his clangers really stand out but his good work to nullify an opponent isn't that obvious.

saint-stu
Club Player

felix wrote:it's funny how his clangers really stand out but his good work to nullify an opponent isn't that obvious.
As a stopper he is very very good.

1ac46a38
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I haven't seen the game this week but it sounds like he did well.

I think most are in agreement about the positive things Geary brings to the table. For mI haven't seen the game this week but it sounds like he did well.

I think most are in agreement about the positive things Geary brings to the table. For me, the issue is or has been about how the negative aspects of his game impact on the result... On a bad day, these aspects of his game stand out.

As a team I think you generally can't carry that. Especially playing at Ethiad in this new era of footy where turn overs are costly.

With that in mind, there are only really two satisfactory outcomes...
- Replace him with someone that can do the job better
- Geary improves on the negative aspects of his game

Today at least, from all reports, Geary took a step towards the lattere, the issue is or has been about how the negative aspects of his game impact on the result... On a bad day, these aspects of his game stand out.

As a team I think you generally can't carry that. Especially playing at Ethiad in this new era of footy where turn overs are costly.

Today at least, from all reports, Geary took a step towards the latter

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I haven't seen the game this week but it sounds like he did well.

I think most are in agreement about the positive things Geary brings to the table. For mI haven't seen the game this week but it sounds like he did well.

I think most are in agreement about the positive things Geary brings to the table. For me, the issue is or has been about how the negative aspects of his game impact on the result... On a bad day, these aspects of his game stand out.

Today at least, from all reports, Geary took a step towards the lattere, the issue is or has been about how the negative aspects of his game impact on the result... On a bad day, these aspects of his game stand out.

You have missed the point entirely

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Normal Geary game. Very good defensively. Very poor offensively.

Meanwhile today Hawks are finding out what it is like to play a team that does not give them soft turnovers.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 30 Apr 2016 11:50pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
freely
SS Hall of Fame

You've gotta have role players. Your elite kicks are never going to want to sacrifice their game to shut another player down (nor would you want them to).

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
skeptic wrote:I haven't seen the game this week but it sounds like he did well.

You have missed the point entirely
Oh please elaborate

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Stop overcomplicating it. Pretty simple. He stops many more goals than he lets through and we are better with him in the team.

Simple principles but do your swot if it makes you happy.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

And Sceptic, your post about Geary is a load of patronising bulls***.

Elaborate enough!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's limits the oppositions best small forward

And gives defensive coverage

His offensive output is secondary

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He's limits the oppositions best small forward

Correct but you may want to get this checked off with Sceptic the God.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:

First of all, I clearly did not miss the point. BM's point was a simple one and clearly grasped in my post. BM has been a big defender of Geary this season and is of the view that he does the job most weeks including today and does not get the recognition he deserves. The forum's consensus (IMO) is that whilst the above is true, too often his disposal is a liability. Don't know how you missed that.

How you read my post as patronising to Geary is beyond me as well. You would be a fun person to psychoanalyse I think... Someone tells you that your shoelace is untied you'd tell them off for criticising how your parents raised you rather than just tying your shoelace.

Like i said before, Geary's ability as a stopper is not questioned. His disposal has on multiple occasions this season stood out and not in a positive way. It was by all accounts good today.
Sorry that you find that insulting or patronising.

Geary's offensive capability may be secondary to his game, but his ability to turn the ball over cannot be discounted as it undermines the defensive aspect in that it costs goals. If his disposal didn't stand out for the wrong reasons... Like it didn't today, nobody would ever question it nor would he cop the criticism he does.

You do agree that he cops criticism by multiple people right?

Sorry if my tone is a bit patronising but it's pretty clear that you need things explained to you in detail

Rosco
Club Player

Pay that.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I woulod always question the worth of one of our players when I have not seen the game.

Or, probably not!

Saint supporter since '62
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:I woulod always question the worth of one of our players when I have not seen the game.

Or, probably not!
Point out where i did that please and where I have used today's game as evidence of that?

What some of you guys grasp from the words you read is mind boggling to me

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

First of all, I clearly did not miss the point. BM's point was a simple one and clearly grasped in my post. BM has been a big defender of Geary this season and is of the view that he does the job most weeks including today and does not get the recognition he deserves. The forum's consensus (IMO) is that whilst the above is true, too often his disposal is a liability. Don't know how you missed that.

How you read my post as patronising to Geary is beyond me as well. You would be a fun person to psychoanalyse I think... Someone tells you that your shoelace is untied you'd tell them off for criticising how your parents raised you rather than just tying your shoelace.

Like i said before, Geary's ability as a stopper is not questioned. His disposal has on multiple occasions this season stood out and not in a positive way. It was by all accounts good today.

Geary's offensive capability may be secondary to his game, but his ability to turn the ball over cannot be discounted as it undermines the defensive aspect in that it costs goals. If his disposal didn't stand out for the wrong reasons... Like it didn't today, nobody would ever question it nor would he cop the criticism he does.

Sorry if my tone is a bit patronising but it's pretty clear that you need things explained to you in detail
Not at all but do you always have to be so anal retentive? Your mummy and daddy must have done a real number on you.

Don't take yourself so seriously, Septic. You sound like someone who sits on level 3 every week in your polyester with your mum filling in all the columns in your footy record. Does she admonish you when you tally up the rushed behinds wrong, septic.

Stop Geary in person and tell him how he needs to improve his game you <<< MOD EDIT. POSTER WARNED FOR ABUSE >>>

Go on, send me another PM apology. It will go unanswered like the last two you've sent me.
Last edited by SaintPav on Sat 30 Apr 2016 11:57pm, edited 2 times in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:I woulod always question the worth of one of our players when I have not seen the game.

Or, probably not!

lol.

Yep

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

There is no such thing as a perfect player

Roo missed two today, switched to Ross and turnover goal and had a HB smothered another goal
Webster turnover goal

Steven often flips it, as does many of our players... Including Geary

You balance that with how effective they play their role

Point- he plays his role well
4th in past years B&F would suggest as much

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nodding in agreement

On the whole I can ignore the ridiculous whipping of the guy, knowing how rated he is internally.

But it's been silly lately, especially when you look at his opponents this year, and their regular form.

Scratch my head with Jarryn, he has all the attributes that people love in a player, but supporters are way harsh at times.

Words like list clogger and liability about #14 & #24 recently are staggering.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
skeptic wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Not at all but do you always have to be so anal retentive? Your mummy and daddy must have done a real number on you.

Don't take yourself so seriously, Septic. You sound like someone who sits on level 3 every week in your polyester with your mum filling in all the columns in your footy record. Does she admonish you when you tally up the rushed behinds wrong, septic.

Stop Geary in person and tell him how he needs to improve his game you condescending little sh!t.

Go on, send me another PM apology. It will go unanswered like the last two you've sent me.

:shock:

What a weird response. I've sent you 2 PMs in total... One was an apology and you responded with an apology yourself... And one was a response to bumped thread when you asked me a question...
You're either a bit daft, a liar, or you just don't know what you're talking about.

As a general rule of thumb I don't get so emotional over the football or over other people's opinion. I don't feel the need to call them names, pun nicknames and such. You obviously do and clearly can't stand to be challenged. That bodes well for your psyche as does your belief that because I have an opinion i need to speak to the players involved. The commentators in games must have to make a lot of phone calls during the week.

In the future, could you please stay on topic like BM has.

Don't wait up for an apology either