Positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Long Term Injury
Club Player

Positives

Obviously not that many, but I thought Hickey had a great game. Mumford was largely ineffective. Hickey beat him in the contest jumping over him and i thought was better around the ground, taking a couple of grabs. Not the in and under ruckman than Mumford is, but i thought he did well. Ross continues to develop as a footballer, of the younger guys he was the one shining light really. And I actually didnt mind Tom Lee's game. Yes he got caught out once or twice with the lead back to the goal square, but he is learning and he'll get better. What he does do is read the ball reasonably well, has decent hands and is a decent kick. For a guy who has only played 1 season down back, and at VFL level, i think he is worth persisting with. Oh yeah, and that Riewoldt goes alright.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Positives

I think that's about right. Ross, Hickey, Lee.

McCartin had a few nice touches early I thought. Just needs some half decent supply, which he was never going to get with the Giants midfield well on top all day

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Games like yesterday's don't deserve to have positives mentioned. We were horrendous & every person at the club is accountable.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Did McCartin play after HT

I never saw him on the ground?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Lee - showed some great marking firepower and good kicking. 2 games as an AFL defender and he doesn't look out of place.
Hickey - becoming a very solid ruck.
Gameplan - I thought it held up well against a much faster, more skilled, taller side. We dropped out bundle for 20 mins in that last quarter and got monstered. But outside that we pushed them despite being incredibly sloppy all night
Bruce and Paddy worked hard despite poor delivery (Paddy looked a bit tentative after crashing packs hard for 2 weeks a in row)
Roo is getting damn good hands at ground level - has surprised me
Steven, Ross and ARmo all got a fair bit of it - just didn't use very well
GWS did a fair bit of homework on us - shutting down Monty and Steven. We get shown a fair bit of respect now days - we are not easy beats.
The crowd were really into the game trying to get the saints to catch fire which they threatened to a couple of times but just couldn't really get the momentum for long enough

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

picks

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:picks
Reality is it's just one pick.

If we finish bottom, or down near it, then we get an early pick.

Put that one pick aside, and the Premiers get to pick before us for the rest of the night (eg they get 18, then we get 19 or 20 or 21...)

Getting an elite kid helps. But GWS are in line for another 5 or so first rounders to add to their NEAFL Allstars, on top of the ridiculously talented senior team we witnessed yesterday.

With that in mind, give me a win any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Fremantle and Collingwood LOLS!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Put that one pick aside, and the Premiers get to pick before us for the rest of the night (eg they get 18, then we get 19 or 20 or 21...)

Getting an elite kid helps. But GWS are in line for another 5 or so first rounders to add to their NEAFL Allstars, on top of the ridiculously talented senior team we witnessed yesterday.

We don't get our second round draft pick this year - we gave that away for Freeman.
Having said that, it looks like the picks we swapped for Hickey and Lee are definitely bearing fruit, and we still have Longer to come back in.

Club must play it cautious with Freeman, because as an elite mid, and with Carlisle to be over his injury niggles by September, we will have both of those guys in our side for round 1, 2017.

It's a shame we didn't beat Hawthorn though as that may have been the shining light for what is definitely going to be a long season. The first 8 rounds were always going to be hard and with Melbourne's momentum it may get harder after next Saturday.

And as we all know, Freo are about to go into an extended phase into the abyss so Dockers fans better harden up because, as we have experienced since 2013, that hard rains a gonna fall. People in charge cannot ignore recruiting for years and just hope that everything's gonna be alright. And our calculated risks at the trade table last year will bear fruit in 2017, but ensured that 2016 would be another development season at the bottom of the ladder. AR admitted as much recently.
Any win we get this year should be savoured and I encourage all St. Kilda supporters to get to both the Essendon, Carlton games and go an watch us play Freo, Brisbane and Melbourne, because we'll struggle to beat anybody else this season.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

a high pick is valuable to either trade or pick someone up...I'd like a win too but we aint gonna win the flag....suck it up , build a juggernaut side and lock and load for 2017 and beyond

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hickey. Is continuing to get better and had a great game against a very good ruckman in Mummy. Hickey has also ben consitently good this year.

Lee. I thought for his only second game in defense with the ball continually rainng down that end that he was good. His field kicking was superb and a highlight. We will only progress as a team if we can get more good kicks in our team. His defensive gamewas in the main solid and some of his marking superb.

Savage for his offensive game. His kicking was a thing of beauty. The downside was his defensive game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Slim pickings for positives apart from Hickey.

I still can't grasp people on McCartins back. He is still developing and will be a player heavily dependent on delivery, as most big forwards are. Even a much more mobile Cameron had 10 disposals and he had much better delivery and their midfield was getting it deep into the forward line constantly. (yes i know how many goals Cameron kicked but my point is the same). And Patton had the same amount of touches as Paddy! and 3 of pattons were shots on goal, paddy had 1 shot. So technically Paddy was more involved around the ground for a guy who has played 1/3 the amount of games.