Heppell

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Heppell

Just read the news that Dyson Heppell is suing the Bombers, good on him. Essendon are still in a world of s*** if other players follow (and they probably will) and I reckon that means he won't be staying.

I reckon we should get going and get him. He is a fine player, a leader and the perfect age. I think he is perfectly suited.

felix
Club Player

Re: Heppell

You would think if you sued your club that it's probably a parting of ways .? Seems like a good kid.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

would have him at the saints

The Recruit
Club Player

5 years $800 a year
probably next captain....would be a massive get. Classy midfielder, plays well in big games and a leader.
He is also very much someone the kids will com to the footy to watch.

He just has to want to come to us....if the Carlise thing helps....what a great recruiting decision :wink:
Last edited by The Recruit on Fri 15 Apr 2016 5:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

stkfc1
Club Player

So long as we're not throwing the golden kitchen sink at him I'd take him in a heartbeat. We must stick to the Geelong/Hawks payment model to keep team together. I wonder if having Carlisle on the team will help or hinder us getting any of these players? I don't think he was the most popular guy at the Bombers.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

lol - last night Robbo on AFL360 was sucking up to Heppell like crazy.

"Oh look here is a picture of Heppell at the interstate Bombers game. Surely he cant be leaving the Bombers"

Heppell sat their with a sly grin on his face and didn't say a word.

It was gold.

Robbo almost pleading and trying to shame Heppell into saying he would stick to Robbo's beloved Bombers, Heppell not saying a word.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

You are garbage - Enough said
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The Age again reporting that he, "feels let down by the club".

Hard to see how someone who feels let down by the club and is suing them for $1m can be enthusiastic about staying. The Age also reporting that several clubs have approached him and that he would be worth two first round picks in a trade.

Are the Druggies suspended players not unrestricted free agents due to their contracts being breached by the club?

The Recruit
Club Player

st.byron wrote:The Age again reporting that he, "feels let down by the club".

Hard to see how someone who feels let down by the club and is suing them for $1m can be enthusiastic about staying. The Age also reporting that several clubs have approached him and that he would be worth two first round picks in a trade.

Are the Druggies suspended players not unrestricted free agents due to their contracts being breached by the club?
Yes they can leave for nothing. Not sure the AFL is keen on this though.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think that they are Free Agents. So no trade cost to get.

The Dons could well up with the first 3 or 4 picks in the draft.
1st from finishing last, 2-4 as FA compo for players like Hurley, Heppell etc.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Another report I read suggested that all of the players will sue them. The worst could be yet to come for Essenbum. May it be so. Zero sympathy for that club from me. On the same level as Carlton.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Can be if they really want to go down the legal path.

AFL don't want them to do that, but if I cant see them being able to enforce where a player with a voided contract can play. The player can go the AFL and test the restraint of trade that everyone knows the AFL will lose as per the NRL.

That will end the draft, and the expansion clubs would be effed.

AFL could pressure the clubs financially but they cant pressure the players and if the court rules the players can be DFA's (Workcover have shown Essendon had an unsafe workplace) the AFL would be powerless to stop them going to the club of their choice.

Does the AFL really want to victimise the players are they and their media plants have painted them as the victims all along?

Would be pretty bad.

Whole new world Byron.

Literally unprecedented.

You are garbage - Enough said
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

At 24 and 189cm and theway he plays he would be a great get to complement the mids and team we currently have. Our list very much needs a player like him.

You can only imagine that a lot of clubs will actively be courting him at present. You just know that the Hawks will be desperate to land a player like Heppell or Hurley to replace some of their aging top-end talent. Competition to land him will be fierce.

However playing devil's advocate the EFC cannot pay extra to the EFC players but rolling over in a court action would be one way that the EFC can get more money to players by agreeing to settle if they are coming back.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Another report I read suggested that all of the players will sue them. The worst could be yet to come for Essenbum. May it be so. Zero sympathy for that club from me. On the same level as Carlton.
Might I suggest a change from "could be" to "is", is warranted, St.B?

Many rely on the efflux of time as their salvation in such situations. But, the efflux of time has a lot of trouble sustaining when the worms are out, and the bus-throw-undery arts are having their finest exhibition in living, sporting memory.

Such joy.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Which explains why the AFL staunchly defended sticking to the current FA compo set up, instead of the more logical step of awarding compo picks at the end of rounds. They will be keen to see the club back up and cheating as soon as possible. It seems they would have prompted a landslide of departures...

...although I still wonder whether this law suit business (which they've loudly proclaimed is likely to occur across the board) isn't some sneaky way of dodging salary cap issues above and beyond their revised cap. "The club has come to an out-of-court settlement with Dyson for an undisclosed sum, and are happy to announce he has also resigned for the next 5 seasons for $100k".

Let's face it, they have form.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Which explains why the AFL staunchly defended sticking to the current FA compo set up, instead of the more logical step of awarding compo picks at the end of rounds. They will be keen to see the club back up and cheating as soon as possible. It seems they would have prompted a landslide of departures...

...although I still wonder whether this law suit business (which they've loudly proclaimed is likely to occur across the board) isn't some sneaky way of dodging salary cap issues above and beyond their revised cap. "The club has come to an out-of-court settlement with Dyson for an undisclosed sum, and are happy to announce he has also resigned for the next 5 seasons for $100k".

Let's face it, they have form.
A fine old perversion that would be, d.

How many ways can an organisation shred their credibility?

Mind you, they mightn't have any left to shred, should the momentum of late continue.

And, if they were to head down that path (they being HO), just wait for the flood of leaks from those who see higher opportunities, or those whose sanity is being held together by a coupla bits of string and the delusional belief this was all just an aberration caused by one rogue who flunked record keeping.

Treading fine lines might be viable when all is travelling smoothly. But, when you've lost control, and you're on the slide toward the abyss, it's best not to lube up the skates.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Many rely on the efflux of time as their salvation in such situations. But, the efflux of time has a lot of trouble sustaining when the worms are out, and the bus-throw-undery arts are having their finest exhibition in living, sporting memory.

Such joy.
Joy indeed. Schadenfreude perhaps. Or simply a sense of justice being done. Seeing Essendon's degree of unrestrained arrogance, bull s*** and obfuscation met with a steam train of equal force coming in the opposite direction would please me enormously.

When I posted the last post I thought of your 'worms wriggling' analogy and wriggling they are. Where people have been seriously f***ed over there will always the potential for them to resort to bus-under-throwing in response. Wriggle on worms......

supersaints
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote:So long as we're not throwing the golden kitchen sink at him I'd take him in a heartbeat. We must stick to the Geelong/Hawks payment model to keep team together. I wonder if having Carlisle on the team will help or hinder us getting any of these players? I don't think he was the most popular guy at the Bombers.
Think the Geelong model was thrown under the bus with Dangerfield, time will tell. Certainly would take him without destroying our own model ( the man with the bun has shown he wants to stay as part of the group, but may be peeved taking unders from us if we pay Hepple overs. Good player market value... No more

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Can be if they really want to go down the legal path.

AFL don't want them to do that, but if I cant see them being able to enforce where a player with a voided contract can play. The player can go the AFL and test the restraint of trade that everyone knows the AFL will lose as per the NRL.

That will end the draft, and the expansion clubs would be effed.

AFL could pressure the clubs financially but they cant pressure the players and if the court rules the players can be DFA's (Workcover have shown Essendon had an unsafe workplace) the AFL would be powerless to stop them going to the club of their choice.

Does the AFL really want to victimise the players are they and their media plants have painted them as the victims all along?

Would be pretty bad.

Whole new world Byron.

Literally unprecedented.
The AFL's bottom line will be to keep Essenbum afloat and competitive. They will be very interested in the Bummers trading for players that leave rather than them walking and the AFL having to provide them with compo picks. In the end, as you say, they can't force trades to occur. It would be a restraint of trade.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He'd be handy if we were able to land him

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Well... Getting players from Eesendon has worked out so well for us as of late

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Well... Getting players from Eesendon has worked out so well for us as of late
Though Milne was not too bad.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
stkfc1 wrote:So long as we're not throwing the golden kitchen sink at him I'd take him in a heartbeat. We must stick to the Geelong/Hawks payment model to keep team together. I wonder if having Carlisle on the team will help or hinder us getting any of these players? I don't think he was the most popular guy at the Bombers.
Think the Geelong model was thrown under the bus with Dangerfield, time will tell. Certainly would take him without destroying our own model ( the man with the bun has shown he wants to stay as part of the group, but may be peeved taking unders from us if we pay Hepple overs. Good player market value... No more
They have also jumped on board big-time having players from other clubs rather than "grow your own".
Smith, Caddy, Stanley, Dangerfield and Henderson all in the team this week.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Such joy.
Joy indeed. Schadenfreude perhaps. Or simply a sense of justice being done. Seeing Essendon's degree of unrestrained arrogance, bull s*** and obfuscation met with a steam train of equal force coming in the opposite direction would please me enormously.

When I posted the last post I thought of your 'worms wriggling' analogy and wriggling they are. Where people have been seriously f***ed over there will always the potential for them to resort to bus-under-throwing in response. Wriggle on worms......
Oh, Ye Olde ToT, is having a fun time, St.B. Chickens rushing home to roost, and all that - I have been in metaphor overload for 3 freakin' years. But, as they say, or they might not, can't remember, patience rewards the righteous.

It has been a veritable fauna feast, from the early ducks, to the later worms. But, on track for the earlier predicted (and not just by me) eventual playing out, and increasingly problematic shyte fest? You freakin' bet it is. Will it ease up any time soon - absolutely no way - the roll is on.

And, to put too fine a point on it, so it damn well should. One gets very tired of the spin from the vested, and the even more vested, interests.

I still maintain what was pointed to by the likes of BFUSA and myself, way back in '13, will be around about the end result......whenever there is an end result.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
supersaints wrote:
They have also jumped on board big-time having players from other clubs rather than "grow your own".
Smith, Caddy, Stanley, Dangerfield and Henderson all in the team this week.
Not so hard to do, when every coupla years you get to stick your snout in the public fund trough for yet another 'stadium upgrade', even after you're struggling to account for the funds spent on earlier 'upgrades'.

The squattocracy still has way too much clout. Google yourselves "Paddy Handbury Murdoch Nephew Geelong F.C."

And, when the word "philanthropist" comes up, ignore it. Then add "Managed Investment Scheme Olives Qld BROKE....and assets, what happened to 'em?"

I'm much wiser now, and I didn't burn anywhere near as much as good ol' Stevie Dank in a similiar scheme- he doesn't only spin b/s, he swallows it. Not only that, but he does it all on debt - he is one dumb SoaB. I dipped a toe in that water, while he removed his rig, and dived in full length.

And, I had the excuse of it it being the '90's and not even knowing who Paddy Handbury was - but, I do now.

Geelong and the whole Western District is rotten with crooks. As Rushie would say - "Armstrong Creek".

Playon
Club Player

Well the figure being bandied around is $1mil a year, is he worth that? No way is hell. I'd rather pass, sure he's a good player but he's no Ablett or Fythe.
If we can get him for the right price, sure why not