Our recent coaches

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Our recent coaches

Interesting to understand the perception of our recent coaches...

3/10 Tim Watson, either not ready or not capable
1/10 Malcolm Blight, a mistake
8/10 Grant Thomas, developed a champion squad, was unlucky with key injuries
7/10 Ross Lyon, inherited a great team, developed a winning yet negative model
5/10 Scott Watters, danced to a different tune
6/10 Richardson, building a new team

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our recent coaches

Toy Saint wrote:Interesting to understand the perception of our recent coaches...

perception of whom

saint4life
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Interesting to understand the perception of our recent coaches...

Ross is 9.5/10 - you're kidding yourself if you think GT was anywhere near developing a champion squad. We were never front runners and always in the mix but never the hunted in his time. Similar to the Dogs during 09/10.

Funnily enough the only coach to leave St Kilda on their own accord still has his preformances reduced by bitterness. 1 point the other way and its 11/10 - turning a 1/120 year event into 2.

Freebird
Club Player

Spinner wrote:

Ross is 9.5/10 - you're kidding yourself if you think GT was anywhere near developing a champion squad. We were never front runners and always in the mix but never the hunted in his time. Similar to the Dogs during 09/10.

Funnily enough the only coach to leave St Kilda on their own accord still has his preformances reduced by bitterness. 1 point the other way and its 11/10 - turning a 1/120 year event into 2.

How delusional are you rating Lyon so high when he takes over a team ready for glory and leaves them in tatters

howlinwolf
Club Player

Just my .02 worth..

1/10 Watson... No clue by his own admissions.

2/10 Blight... Just the wrong choice for us at the time. I'd rate Blight a lot higher for prior coaching.

6/10 Thomas... Great fatherly figure and team bonder but lacking tactical skills. We had a good list during his time. A lot of coaches would have had similar results.

8/10 Lyon... Could have easily been a premiership coach. Brought a game plan that nearly came off. Produced a revered team that was not made of 22 elite players by far.

4/10 Watters... Sorry has to be below 5 as that is a pass mark. Never coached again. Didn't understand the word hierarchy. Just did whatever.

7/10 Richo... At this stage but could and should go higher. Is building a true flag threat. Has an attacking yet defensive game style. The players are committed and sign on for less than the going rate. Speaks volumes.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
realdeal
Club Player

Gee whiz, they're only opinions so each to their own but as much as I'm enjoying Richo in the top job he hasn't exactly done anything to be a point above Thommo and just a point behind Lyon.

One coach got us to multiple prelim's when we consistently had our best players injured and helped us develop strong leaders. The other was a bounce and a toe poke away from being a 2 time premiership coach and legend. Richo hasn't actually done anything yet and is still a work in progress..

My two pence worth:
Watson- 2. Good intentions, bad timing.
Blight- 1. Bad intentions, bad timing.
Thomas- 7. Thomas helped the club and players regain some sense of self worth. Unlucky. Not letting go of some power ended in his downfall.
Lyon- 9. One of the most dominant seasons in memory without the ultimate. We went full pelt for a flag at the expense of our future. It didn't work.
Watters- 3. Stuck in no mans land. Didn't help himself. Fail.
Richardson- 5 (climbing upwards over the next few years) shown some great signs, enjoying the style of play this year, improvements must continue. Happy.

bbm
Club Player

Watson 4/10 - Had a decent crack and we had some reasonable results for a while.
Blight 1/10 - Heart not in it - left blaming the club for his own poor performance and application.
Thomas- 8/10 - Turned the whole place around with a patient plan built pride in the jumper and didn't accept mediocrity.
Lyon - 9/10 - The best strategic coach in his time. unique and orginal game plan almost got us a flag.
Watters - 4/10 - Clearly out of his depth - lost the players then everyone.
Richo - 7/10 - Perfect fit at the moment, honest, clear and straightforward with a good game plan.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:Gee whiz, they're only opinions so each to their own but as much as I'm enjoying Richo in the top job he hasn't exactly done anything to be a point above Thommo and just a point behind Lyon.

One coach got us to multiple prelim's when we consistently had our best players injured and helped us develop strong leaders. The other was a bounce and a toe poke away from being a 2 time premiership coach and legend. Richo hasn't actually done anything yet and is still a work in progress..

My two pence worth:
Thomas- 7. Thomas helped the club and players regain some sense of self worth. Unlucky. Not letting go of some power ended in his downfall.
Lyon- 9. One of the most dominant seasons in memory without the ultimate. We went full pelt for a flag at the expense of our future. It didn't work.
Richardson- 5 (climbing upwards over the next few years) shown some great signs, enjoying the style of play this year, improvements must continue. Happy.
pretty spot on

saint4life
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

GT had a better list and did less with it than RL.
GT did however along with RB, MK, BW and others did turn us from a rabble into a force, but failed to create the dynasty as he preferred a Games of Thrones melt-down instead. Unfortuantely the GOT script included a false phrophet in GW who swept to power with promises of improved football support and finances, but who instead laid waste to club.

GT's brief was to build a team. RLs brief was to take the next step and to win now.

Having been through the 70's and 80's the naughties was good period to be a StKilda fan. Wins became the norm, rather than a rarity.

Both GT and RL made the mistake of not moving on from a gameplan that had been developed and had brought winning success, but then was worked out by other coaches. That is where Clarkson has excelled.

MB and TW did assist to create the champion squad though through making us bad which allowed for some good young talent to be obtained and in MBs case also making us sexy enough for very good established players to want to join us from other clubs which has been a rarity in our history.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

This coach looks pretty recent:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

0 for Watters for mine.

He did my head in.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Did Twatters set us back or send us on rebuild quicker?

Timid should get 5/10 for sending us to the bottom and getting a PP, which all up delivered us Roo, Kosi and BJ over 2 seasons

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:0 for Watters for mine.

He did my head in.

What's watters doing now?

Massive exile from footy it seems.

It makes you wonder how he got the job if he was that bad....

Legendary
Club Player

Rumour as fact that Watters couldn't even get a gig in the WAFL, and not for want of trying.

Even Mark Neeld managed to get another gig after the Melbourne disaster. Shows how everyone got sucked in by the Malthouse aura after 2010/2011.

I agree with these ratings:
realdeal wrote:My two pence worth:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would go back further to the next coach which was Stan Alves. He was there for five years I think. He also had a magic year (97) when we were minor premiers, and should have won the big one. How does everyone rate Stan?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Alves. 9. Nearly gave us our second flag.
Watson. 2. Was not ready for it;
Blight. 1. Did not appear interested.
Thomas. 8. Built us up for the challenge.
Lyon. 9. Nearly gave us our second flag. But failed to look to the future.
Watters. 2. Had his own ideas apparently.
Richardson. 6 so far. Is doing a good job of the rebuild.

gone fission
Club Player

realdeal wrote: Richo hasn't actually done anything yet and is still a work in progress..
This ^

11 Wins from 47 starts at this point in time, 23% which is below Primus and Watson.

We need to start winning regularly before he could be rated well surely.

Two more years before he can fairly be judged though.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Rumour as fact that Watters couldn't even get a gig in the WAFL, and not for want of trying.

Even Mark Neeld managed to get another gig after the Melbourne disaster. Shows how everyone got sucked in by the Malthouse aura after 2010/2011.

I agree with these ratings:
I wonder what Twatters is doing now? On the dole??

How the hell did we employ him? Must've been terrible due diligence. I guess that was Netters and Westaway in action. Thankfully they are both history

Here's one of Robbo's better articles after the sacking

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6751527441

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I give Watters a ten because he took us to the bottom quickly.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
howlinwolf
Club Player

gone fission wrote:
realdeal wrote: Richo hasn't actually done anything yet and is still a work in progress..
This ^

11 Wins from 47 starts at this point in time, 23% which is below Primus and Watson.

"Richo hasn't actually done anything yet ?"
Wow. That's a grand statement.

I based my 7/10 on Richo based on his work with what tools he has at hand.
GT had more tools to work with at the time.

If I asked Richo to dig my house foundations and gave him a teaspoon to find 18 months later the foundations were 1/4 done, I'd be mighty impressed.
If I left him an excavator....... not so impressed.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
markp
Saintsational Legend

What a list!

Can we rate all our recent ruckmen next?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I know this won't be popular but I do wonder how Blight would have worked out if we tried him out for a couple of seasons. He says he was away working on different tactics and approaches to the game that would suit St Kilda which is a really strategic approach.
Thomas was a wild ride. His lack of defensive smarts was his undoing. I feel he also infantised some of our players with his over-bearing manner - the "chin up" thing he did with Roo was patronising and demeaning
Lyon - the ball bounces the right way and he's a legend. But his low scoring style always played with fire and he didn't let our talent really express themselves. The best team that year, by far a goal ahead at 3 qtr time in the grannie - just let them go for it
Watters was the definition of where the club was at the time - betwixt and between without clear direction. He was the sacrificial lamb we probably needed to slaughter to move on from the devastatingly close losses - his behaviors going rogue and poor communication didn't help him
Richo is really benefiting from being under a smart thinking President who has brought a really clear focus for the whole club. Part of me wonders if we should have made a play for Clarkson to see if he wanted a new challenge - he is just a genius - but Richo deserves to go to the finals and see what he can do with the kids he is developing nicely

gone fission
Club Player

howlinwolf wrote:
gone fission wrote:
This ^

"Richo hasn't actually done anything yet ?"
Wow. That's a grand statement.

I based my 7/10 on Richo based on his work with what tools he has at hand.
GT had more tools to work with at the time.

If I asked Richo to dig my house foundations and gave him a teaspoon to find 18 months later the foundations were 1/4 done, I'd be mighty impressed.
If I left him an excavator....... not so impressed.
It's not really a grand statement:

Wins so far under Richo

bris - terrible side
dogs - decent side last year
GWS - ordinary side 2 years ago
Freo - very good side
GCS - ordinary side
Coll - very ordinary
Ess x 2 - terrible side
melb x 3 - terrible side

What work has Richo done with his teaspoon to warrant a 7?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas had virtually no budget at his disposal to recruit the best support staff (medical and training).
Lyon had all those things. The footy club put itself on the back foot financially to get behind Lyon and win us a flag.

GT built the team that Lyon couldn't get across the line.

Both coaches have their flaws but if the Footy First admin had been in place when GT was coach then who would have known what he could have done.

If we're rating coaches then I'd go back one more from Alves and rate Sheldon an 8. He took the club from party town to professional bringing the mindset that we needed to become a club that doesn't tolerate anything but commitment to the job. He took us to our first final in 18 years and made us a competitive outfit able to beat any team on any day at any venue. Winmar's dispute over money in '93 started the derailment of Sheldon's tenure...we didn't make the finals that year and Kenny lost his job.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Life Long Saint wrote:Grant Thomas had virtually no budget at his disposal to recruit the best support staff (medical and training).
Lyon had all those things. The footy club put itself on the back foot financially to get behind Lyon and win us a flag.

GT built the team that Lyon couldn't get across the line.

Both coaches have their flaws but if the Footy First admin had been in place when GT was coach then who would have known what he could have done.

If we're rating coaches then I'd go back one more from Alves and rate Sheldon an 8. He took the club from party town to professional bringing the mindset that we needed to become a club that doesn't tolerate anything but commitment to the job. He took us to our first final in 18 years and made us a competitive outfit able to beat any team on any day at any venue. Winmar's dispute over money in '93 started the derailment of Sheldon's tenure...we didn't make the finals that year and Kenny lost his job.
Thomas had a better team. To put Thomas ahead of Lyon is laughable

You are garbage - Enough said