The Flux Report: Round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AeonFlux
Club Player

The Flux Report: Round 1

Bloody hell Roger! Another footy season has started, and no sign of you. :( So I’ll have to do all this again???? (Sigh.)

Thoughts:
Not too bad an effort for three and a half quarters Saintas.
Ran out of mid fielders. Our next level blokes didn’t get enough of it:
Dunstan - I suspect that hit affected him........ tony......?
Lonie – Looked dangerous up forward though.
Templeton – He now looks big enough, and did some nice things early, but then disappeared.
Gresham – First game, so no problems there, and should get another run.
Billings – Surprised he got it 22 times, though when he did, looked very classy.
Acres – Big third quarter, but still looks hurried when he gets that thing. Mav was the same, but is now confident to hang onto the footy when he gets it, rather than panicking. Give Acres a consistent run of games, and he’ll settle, and then really start to show what he can do.

Liked:
Hickey!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Seb. First 30 possession game! A touch of ‘the Acres’ though, in that he still seems to lack confidence, and rushes things when he gets the footy. But was still getting to contests at the end of the game. That’s a huge plus, as covering the ground was previously a huge question mark against him. I’m now prepared to say that he will make it. Onya Seb! :D
Roo. We nearly won the game, and Roo did next to nothing! (Almost) no forward line marks, ‘get out’ marks leading up the ground, didn’t seem to be drawing half the opposition backline to him. And that didn’t seem to adversely affect The Bruce.

Really liked:
Our future on display. 8-)
Roo, Sam F, Joey, P66, Dempster all leaving us, and people worry how we’ll go without them. Well, we scored freely without Roo, Joey was ok, but nothing standout, and Sam and Shaun we’re forced to stand blokes way too big for them........... but we have Goddard and Carlisle, in the wings. And McCartin also.
The frenetic attack on the ball and player that Richo has instilled. The oppositions don’t like it........ just watch that Hawks game from last year. Only current problem is we can’t keep it up. But that will change! :twisted:

The cut in interchanges. Great start AFL. Now slash the numbers again!

Felt sorry for:
Sam Fisher. He’s lost a lot of pace. Playing on experience now. But Sam deserves, and has more than deserved to play out his final year......... without having to man up the gorillas. But despite that, he did a great job against the odds. Star! Champion!
Port Adelaide and their bogan fans trying to channel Liverpool (“You’ll never walk alone”) with "You’ll Never Tear Us Apart”. Truly truly cringe worthy. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Don’t understand:
Our key backs were significantly under sized, yet were continually competing one out. Where was the third man up to help out?????
And who the hell was on Polack (or was it Pettard, or was it both of them)???? Really cut us up with long runs out of defence! :evil:

Really pissed off with:
That stupid deliberate out of bounds rule! Scrap it!!! :evil: :evil: If a bloke want to use the boundary line, or the goal line, as a defensive tool, then bloody well let him!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thoughts, Roger honey?

Thoughts, Saintas?

ReMembering:
Image Image Image Image

----- Rodger ------- Nymeria ------- BakesFan ----------- Aaron
HarryM wrote: Nope never heard of them :roll:
AeonFlux
Club Player

Re: The Flux Report: Round 1

Forgot the ins and outs. :oops:

IN:
Sanders, Minch, Roger (I wish. :( )

OUT:
Trump, Templeton.

ReMembering:
Image Image Image Image

----- Rodger ------- Nymeria ------- BakesFan ----------- Aaron
HarryM wrote: Nope never heard of them :roll:
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

A good wrap up Flux.....

....BUT....

I think the out of bounds "interpretation" (geez I hate that word) is good. As long as they're consistent week-to-week, and even over a whole game, there's no reason why a player shouldn't be pinged for using the line as an "out". Now if only they'd interpret a rushed behind the same way....

stevie
Saintsational Legend

It's farcical when a defender or ruckman is free to punch the ball out of the stadium without punishment. No attempt at all to 'keep the ball in play'. Even Dennis Commeti mentioned this on Monday and asked why it's considered different.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

THE NUTSHELL REPORT: ROUND 1
Good effort, ran ot of legs - will improve.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
spert
Saintsational Legend

Ran out of legs, but is this going to improve or have we a fitness issue? Armo and Steven seemed to have plenty of legs in the last quarter when they actually had the ball, but fumbled or had ineffective disposal. We expect our more experienced mids to stand up and put an effort in when the match is there to be won, not fall off the pace.
I thought too much emphasis on attack, as too many players running ahead of the contest most times, and those gaps out the back allowed PA to get easy possessions and answer our goals quickly, so we could never build up a buffer on the scoreboard.
Hickey was great.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

The out of bounds stuff is bulls***.
Leave the f****** out of bounds rule alone.
If it goes out it goes out, if you rush kick a dribbler to the line for safety then so be it.
Out on the full is the only rule needed.

Sick of them trying stupid little rule changes that end up being open to interpretation by the umpire depending on what side of the bed he got out of that morn

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Ran out of legs, but is this going to improve or have we a fitness issue? Armo and Steven seemed to have plenty of legs in the last quarter when they actually had the ball, but fumbled or had ineffective disposal. We expect our more experienced mids to stand up and put an effort in when the match is there to be won, not fall off the pace.
I thought too much emphasis on attack, as too many players running ahead of the contest most times, and those gaps out the back allowed PA to get easy possessions and answer our goals quickly, so we could never build up a buffer on the scoreboard.
Hickey was great.
Hickey was great - but couldn't fit that in the 40 character limit!
given our preseason i,d give the benefit of the doubt to the club re fitness. Armo and Steven match fit over many seasons, but rusty at the end when fatigue began to play it's part.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stkfc1
Club Player

Good analysis. It was Pettard that kept cutting us off or running it out of defence. Johannisen could well do it to us this week. Need to make these guys accountable and earn their possessions. Nothing annoys me more than seeing the same opposition backman cutting marks off or running it out of our 50. Coaches need to react to this quicker. Im sure a red light comes up on their laptop if an opposition player keeps winning contests. That being said they wont get a chance if our F50 entries are good enough.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:It's farcical when a defender or ruckman is free to punch the ball out of the stadium without punishment. No attempt at all to 'keep the ball in play'. Even Dennis Commeti mentioned this on Monday and asked why it's considered different.
A defender has to be able to punch the ball away from an opponent without being pinged for deliberate.

Gilbert was pinged in the first few minutes for going third man up and hitting it straight out, so I don't think there's a free pass for ruckmen.

I like the new interpretation. And as St. Chris says above, they should do it for the goal line as well.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Would we have won in 66 if we couldn't "Hit The Boundary"?

He tipped this Butch.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
stevie wrote:It's farcical when a defender or ruckman is free to punch the ball out of the stadium without punishment. No attempt at all to 'keep the ball in play'. Even Dennis Commeti mentioned this on Monday and asked why it's considered different.
A defender has to be able to punch the ball away from an opponent without being pinged for deliberate.

Gilbert was pinged in the first few minutes for going third man up and hitting it straight out, so I don't think there's a free pass for ruckmen.

I like the new interpretation. And as St. Chris says above, they should do it for the goal line as well.
Yes i undertsand that kosi but its still the same type of situation: not trying to keep the ball in play which is what kicks to the boundary are being pinged for.