At least Richo wasn't happy....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

At least Richo wasn't happy....

It's good to see the Coach absolutely disappointed with yesterday... And NOT satisfied!!!

Whilst acknowledging a good three qtrs, he balanced that by bemoaning a terrible fade out.... He wasn't happy, which is good to hear.

He offered no excuses, other than Port went to another level, we did not handle that....that's also good to hear.

As soon as you start making excuses, you give players the option of being allowed to fail. A losing mentality

And excuses are very different from reasons... There are reasons we win, and reasons we lose... Excusing suggests we had no chance of success, and it's ok to fail

He's right, we lost dare.

We lost 'dare' because we lost run, and we lost the ability to put pressure on and handle their pressure.... It's why we couldn't get the ball out, or score.

One thing I noticed, all of our goals were just about from turnover... When we caught the defence out of position, and got in behind them.... We need to be able to also beat a set defence at times.
You cannot just base your game around pressure and turnover/ fast break, you must be able to be damaginging with the footy from defence or stoppage or stop play.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: At least Richo wasn't happy....

But we missed a practice match. 8-)

Saintsational Legend

I don't think I've heard richo use excuses for a loss ever.

We held them very well for a good chunk of the game but the last 40 minutes resulted in a 50-odd point turnaround, that is a smashing... But they are a very solid side.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE GRANT THOMAS AWARD

FOR A ST KILDA FC SUPER-SUPPORTER
THAT NEVER GIVES IN TO MEDIOCRITY
AND RELENTLESSLY DRIVES STANDARDS WITH SUPPORTERS
BY EMPTY CHEST PUFFING SPAMMING OF THE BOARD
AND CREATING UNNECESSARY THREADS

Awarded to

BIG MART

For his bravery in not accepting Mediocrity after the Port game

Signed: Alan Richardson

(ps Alan here - you were right Big Mart, I wasn't happy about that last quarter. I am glad you do not accept mediocrity like these other supporters. Like your name, you are truly the big man here. I fear how poor our team would play next week with all these supporters accepting mediocrity. I bet they also got those cheap mediocre easter eggs for their kids - that would be just their style.

If we do not win the flag this year then that is mediocre or is everyone happy to accept second best? Not me and I bet not you BM. Being ahead a potential top four team at 3 qtr time at their hostile home ground and not going on to win it when they have bigger bodies, bigger tanks and we had an interrupted preseason was mediocre. Mediocre. I've told the players relentlessly how mediocre they were and I will be telling them all week. That's good coaching. STuff this confidence, positive approach I've been using. Who cares how gutsy they played to give themselves a chance to win and exhausted themselves with younger bodies. What matters is purely that last qtr.

Now anything less than a six goals win is mediocre (well now I think about it that is mediocre too, it should be 100 pt wins each week). I need you out there Big Mart not accepting mediocrity like the others do. You hang tough. You're brother - Alan. ps I bet YOU got the good quality Cadbury eggs amirite?

<Warning issued under this rule as a clear breach has occurred despite inclusion of some humour and creativity:

Vigorous debate and friendly banter on St. Kilda Football Club matters is encouraged, as long as there is respect for each other’s opinions. No matter how much you disagree, or dismiss the worth of any opinion posted, or dismiss the worth of the poster in your eyes, your response must be respectful. Argue the facts. Post an opposing opinion. Do NOT make commentary about the poster - ONLY the post. If you tease, mock or bait another poster, or abuse them, OR repeatedly revisit past disagreements causing or creating an ongoing dispute between one or more posters, this is regarded as a breach of rules in the Fan Forum and will result in the issuing of a Saintsational warning. Such ongoing disputes can result in multiple breaches and can result in multiple Saintsational warnings.>

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

members message post game

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dragit
Saintsational Legend

:D

Banter and/or fun... Simon is cracking down on both.

It won't be tolerated.

You have been warned.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think that is a cheap shot

It is easy to belittle people anonymously, it wasn't needed, it was a sarcastic go... And it was clear in its intent.

Poor effort, sayis more about the poster.... Perhaps a little bit of defensiveness in there as well, it's ok you can have your complex mate

In real life, I'd think you'd be a tad less brave, and less willing to be a smart arse?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: One thing I noticed, all of our goals were just about from turnover... When we caught the defence out of position, and got in behind them.... We need to be able to also beat a set defence at times.
You cannot just base your game around pressure and turnover/ fast break, you must be able to be damaginging with the footy from defence or stoppage or stop play.
That is such a shallow analysis. We broke their lines and their presses by hard gut running forward in numbers. That is new for us. Guys like Acres, Ross, Templeton etc just have not been capable of that two way running. That was a reason they were so burnt out at 3 qtr time - that incredibly hard two way running was another step up. It was getting numbers to support the ball for the first three quarters that overwhelmed them and broke through their defenses. To play that intense two way running is damn taxing but that is about the team pushing their limits in the pain zone to get better. There are physical limits these young guys are finding constantly. Next week hopefully they can go a bit longer, a bit longer again the week after.

No doubt when they do a four quarter effort against a top team you'll be amazed how they simply just decided to no longer "accept mediocrity" and were able to do it as if they flicked a switch. Doesn't work like that.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Lighten up marto...

You set yourself up by genuinly baiting other posters a lot of the time...

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Does he mean we lost a dare ice coffee?

longtimesaint
Club Player

They appeared to be fitter and run out the game better.
Maybe the interrupted practice match is still having an effect.

One year will be our year
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:They appeared to be fitter and run out the game better.
I don't think so. According to some here it had absolutely no effect so I've heard we are petitioning the AFL not to play any NAB games next year. We think we'll still be cherry ripe to go.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
I don't think so. According to some here it had absolutely no effect so I've heard we are petitioning the AFL not to play any NAB games next year. We think we'll still be cherry ripe to go.
Who's said it had no effect? Sure it had some impact but a 10 goal turnaround? I'm with Marto on this one. Too easy an excuse.

On a side note. In 2012 when we also missed the practice game v the Bombers up at Wangaratta, we also played Port in Adelaide in round one. We also let a 3/4 time lead of 5 points go to lose by 4 points. Not quite the same capitulation but maybe there is something in this. :?

Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote::D

It won't be tolerated.

You have been warned.
Warning WAS issued because it was teasing, mocking and baiting a poster. Clear breach.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:---------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE GRANT THOMAS AWARD

FOR A ST KILDA FC SUPER-SUPPORTER
THAT NEVER GIVES IN TO MEDIOCRITY
AND RELENTLESSLY DRIVES STANDARDS WITH SUPPORTERS
BY EMPTY CHEST PUFFING SPAMMING OF THE BOARD
AND CREATING UNNECESSARY THREADS

Awarded to

BIG MART

For his bravery in not accepting Mediocrity after the Port game

Signed: Alan Richardson

(ps Alan here - you were right Big Mart, I wasn't happy about that last quarter. I am glad you do not accept mediocrity like these other supporters. Like your name, you are truly the big man here. I fear how poor our team would play next week with all these supporters accepting mediocrity. I bet they also got those cheap mediocre easter eggs for their kids - that would be just their style.

If we do not win the flag this year then that is mediocre or is everyone happy to accept second best? Not me and I bet not you BM. Being ahead a potential top four team at 3 qtr time at their hostile home ground and not going on to win it when they have bigger bodies, bigger tanks and we had an interrupted preseason was mediocre. Mediocre. I've told the players relentlessly how mediocre they were and I will be telling them all week. That's good coaching. STuff this confidence, positive approach I've been using. Who cares how gutsy they played to give themselves a chance to win and exhausted themselves with younger bodies. What matters is purely that last qtr.

Now anything less than a six goals win is mediocre (well now I think about it that is mediocre too, it should be 100 pt wins each week). I need you out there Big Mart not accepting mediocrity like the others do. You hang tough. You're brother - Alan. ps I bet YOU got the good quality Cadbury eggs amirite?

<Warning issued under this rule as a clear breach has occurred despite inclusion of some humour and creativity:

Vigorous debate and friendly banter on St. Kilda Football Club matters is encouraged, as long as there is respect for each other’s opinions. No matter how much you disagree, or dismiss the worth of any opinion posted, or dismiss the worth of the poster in your eyes, your response must be respectful. Argue the facts. Post an opposing opinion. Do NOT make commentary about the poster - ONLY the post. If you tease, mock or bait another poster, or abuse them, OR repeatedly revisit past disagreements causing or creating an ongoing dispute between one or more posters, this is regarded as a breach of rules in the Fan Forum and will result in the issuing of a Saintsational warning. Such ongoing disputes can result in multiple breaches and can result in multiple Saintsational warnings.>

Gee Whiz, are we all getting a bit sensitive. I completely disagree with Bluthy and agree with BigMart on this occasion, BUT I still found it funny.

I know that yesterday was a great effort - which makes it even harder to accept because the last 40 minutes were pathetic. Carlton lost by 2 goals and fought the game out. It's what I hoped we'd do too. Is that too much to ask? In the back of my mind I always knew that we would probably lose the game, but I was hoping for no more than 3 goals. We were down by 39 points until Roo kicked our last. Stacks of positives came out of the game, and I doubt it will stop anyone going to watch this week, but it's ok to be bitterly disappointed I reckon.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:

It won't be tolerated.

You have been warned.
Warning WAS issued because it was teasing, mocking and baiting a poster. Clear breach.
And yet monotonously start thread after thread about the same thing is not baiting...
Said before, said again one rule for one....

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:

It won't be tolerated.

You have been warned.
You eliminate soft mockery and banter - you eliminate personality. Leave it alone unless reported. Then have a think anyway. This is a footy forum, banter and mockery are part and parcel. May as well have a forum populated by spambots.
Last edited by desertsaint on Mon 28 Mar 2016 3:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Of course he's not happy, doesn't mean we can't be.

I'm sure Richo has drilled them on what to do in each scenario and a main one would have been getting the ball out our defensive half after our struggles last season and yet first game back we were trapped for an entire quarter and gave up a streak like 60-6 or somethings like that from the 3rd into the fourth.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:

It won't be tolerated.

You have been warned.
As others have pointed out, the purpose of this thread was clearly to bait other posters that bigmart considers to have loser mentality and perpetuate the myth of a culture of accepting mediocrity.

Was bluthy's post reported reported by anyone? Is the rule that a post has to be reported before you get involved?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i'm a spambot 'n i'm ok
but dare not post here
on any a day

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
supersaints
Club Player

Never known any coach to be happy with a loss... They speak the speak

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

WindSister wrote:i'm a spambot 'n i'm ok
but dare not post here
on any a day
You never wanted to be a spambot. You wanted to be..........a lumberjack!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
Who's said it had no effect? Sure it had some impact but a 10 goal turnaround? I'm with Marto on this one. Too easy an excuse.

On a side note. In 2012 when we also missed the practice game v the Bombers up at Wangaratta, we also played Port in Adelaide in round one. We also let a 3/4 time lead of 5 points go to lose by 4 points. Not quite the same capitulation but maybe there is something in this. :?
Yeah it was a disappointing end but Hawks were leading in the 3rd qtr today and it blew out to a 30 pt loss (on their home ground against a team that didn't even make finals last year). s*** happens in junk time. I just don't like people chucking around a word like "mediocre" willy nilly . Yesterday were were anything but mediocre. And there were some reasons for the blow out at the end. Anytime we lose this year and someone says how we played well is the self-righteously inane "accepting mediocrity" line going to come out?

I am satisfied with how we played yesterday seeing as where we are in our development and our interrupted preparation. And I'll tell you secret - Richo will overall be happy with that performance. But he's always wanting his players to stretch themselves and try and take it to the next level which makes a him a good coach. Now I'm going to eat the rest of my no brand chocky eggs as I certainly accept mediocrity in chocolate form.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Point of the post

To convey the message from Rico's Presser that he wasn't happy, and I believe that is a good thing

There was an insipid portion of Yesterday's game.... In 40 mins of footy we were beaten by 57 points.

There were reasons for that, for sure.... But those reasons are NOT acceptable!

There was also a very positive 80 mins of footy, where we were outstanding... But didn't come close to maintaining it.

AR will review the game, and balance the good and the bad... And not blinker the negatives.

The point of Bluthy's reply
Trying to take the piss out of someone... Nothing more.... Which all good people do
And it ain't hard on a keyboard

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:

It won't be tolerated.

You have been warned.
And yet monotonously start thread after thread about the same thing is not baiting...
Said before, said again one rule for one....
Show me where BigMart has started thread after thread on the actual CONTENT of the Opening Post? The content is about the game and the coaches reactions and the posters opinion on the matter. ZERO breach there. It is a genuine footy opinion on a footy topic on a footy board. There is one rule AND it is applied equally.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"