Us and 'Them' - Do NOT be jealous Saintas!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Us and 'Them' - Do NOT be jealous Saintas!!!

A few supporters are getting stuck into us, bemoaning us, following Saturday's result. A bit of the old compare and contrast...? Well, since it slow news time on the forum, and despite popular demand, lets have a closer look at their 'genius', and at why our next fifty years can be as successful premiership-wise as their previous fifty years... our flags won't be in that piss-poo abomination, but in the best looking sporting jumper in the world, the fabulous tri-colour. Here goes...

For starters, I really am not jealous of them. If I was jealous, I'd be wishing that I was a Dawk supporter, not a Saint's supporter. So not jealous, then why not...?

Firstly, aesthetics.
I realise this doesn't matter to some people, but I could never relate to that abomination piss-poo jumper. :evil:

(Ok, if they at least toned it down, and went back to the original 'duller' colour shades, but no... just like the Teddies ruining the Fitzroy jumper by trying to brighten it up by introducing yellow for the white, and brightening the maroon up... like metallic paint and modern day mag wheels on a 1950's classic car... it doesn't work.)

But whatever, it will never compare with the best jumper in world sport... the RW&B tri-colour. (Yes, aesthetics really do matter to me. :)

Well run club?
Overall, yes, definately. But there are some very major caveats here, and there has certainly also been some abysmal management. After being seduced by Pig's Arse and nearly going out of existence, the club was saved by the likes of Dicker, combined with some very very good luck.

In fact, there has been some incredibly bloody good once in many lifetimes good luck.

At the time, many Dawk supporters where bemused at the move to Waverley Park. Waverley as a base wasn't/isn't suitable for the club's long term needs, hence why they are looking at moving out. They went to Waverley for one reason only.

As part of the whole housing development deal out at the old Waverley Park, the developers offered the Dawks a sweetheart deal to move out there. They ended up with the freehold of $25 million in real estate for a peppercorn $1 fee.

Give us $25 million onto our balance sheet, and see how we go. In a somewhat similar vein, the Hillbillies have had Kardinia Park transformed for them. Sure, unlike the Dawks, they don't actually own it, but it hardly matters, no one is gonna' kick 'em out. So although not on the balance sheet, effectively, it's theirs.

(Hence, one of the reasons I sooooooo want us to eventually get back to The Junction. :idea: But compare and contrast... with the recent Victorian election result, sadly, for the moment, our Dawk/Hillbilly-style 'good luck' didn't eventuate. But IMHO, our club simply must, treat that as merely a bump in the road.)

Well run club (2)
They were further 'gifted' an on-going tens of millions of dollars... sadly though in this case... thanks to our beloved club... pulling out of Tassie. :( :x

So whilst once again there was an element of luck, this time it clearly was their good management to envision what could be achieved in the longer term... c/f our management (very) short-sightedly stuffing up. :evil:

Well run club (3).
So after being absolutely gifted $25 million,
and then in spite of having Jeffed as Pres (another reason I could never support nor envy them) busily undermining the coach (including publically),
they managed to quietly retrieve 'a high draft pick and his buddys' files from that gutter in Ivanhoe,
and they won a flag.
(Good management, good luck...? Probably some of both. No credit to Jeffed though... he totally inherited that flag from Dicker IMHO. )

On-going finances... again, they cynically call themselves the family club... yet their pokies gouge out $21 million a year from low socio economic areas.

Our club does not do that. Am I envious of the Dawks? Again. No!

Well run club (4).

They will soon be moving to Dingley. Seriously??? What has Dingley got to do with Hawthorn? Huge mistake in the making there. Once the premierships stop, they risk becoming like Fitzroy... a name only, that represents no one, represents nowhere.

Think Fitzroy. They became nomads. And once that happened, all those earlier flags didn't help Fitzroy one bit. Ended up the ultimate nomads... got shipped out to crass Brisvegas. (Even managed to stuff up arguably the second best club theme song and jumper.)

All those flags won by the Teddies, let alone by Fitzroy... do they now really provide much solace now??? Especially so for Roy Boy supporters who no longer have a footy team, and arguably worse still, have to endure that hideous caricature up in soul-less Brisvegas, that the AFL tries to masquerade as still being their club... only living on elsewhere. :roll:

Dingley tip has absolutely no connection with the Dawks. They risk losing connection with their roots, and ending up nomads, linked to and belonging to, no where. The next time the finances get into trouble...

Summary:
- They will always be stuck with those piss-poo colours.
- They risk becoming nomads, they risk losing their roots, where they came from.
- Management - yes, definitely there's been some top shelf management, but take away that freak $25 million, and consider the $21 million a year the 'family club' gouges from those who can't afford it...
(I don't want to consider the tens of millions of 'Tassie dollars' we gifted them. )

Aesthetics, 'meaning', community. I understand that for some, these may be a bit esoteric, but for me, they are too important.

So jealous of the Dawks? Me? No. Never.

So do I want to emulate what they are doing (gouging and risking becoming disconnected nomads)? Me? No. Never.

So would I like a touch of their incredible-manna-from-heaven-good-luck, in the form of helping us get back to The Junction? Now you're talkin'!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Us and 'Them' - Do NOT be jealous Saintas!!!

Ok, some more on good governance (them) and bad governance (us) - that Tassie deal.

TASMANIA’S quest for its own AFL team remains on hold until 2021 at least, after the State Government recommitted to a five-year $19 million deal with Hawthorn. Premier Will Hodgman announced the contract extension at the president’s dinner at the MCG before the Hawthorn-Richmond clash last night...

Under the deal, Hawthorn will continue to play four roster games and a pre-season game in Launceston until the end of 2021...

“Already $750,000 in bonus payments have been made under the current contract, which climbs to more than $1 million if the Hawks win the Grand Final this year...

Hawthorn first came to Tasmania in 2001 almost penniless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the previous five-year deal signed in 2011 was worth well above $3 million a season.

Newbold acknowledged the importance of the arrangement to both parties, saying recent research had shown Hawthorn’s economic impact in Tasmania and national brand exposure to total almost $30 million last year.

He said one of the most important aspects of the arrangement from the club’s point of view was its level of community engagement in Tasmania...

The Hawks have also grown their Tasmanian membership figure year-on-year since 2007, reaching a record number of 8948 in 2015...

In 1996, Hawthorn lost $1.2 million...

“In 1997, we made up our mind that we would look at other alternatives for home games,” Ian Dicker – president of the Hawks from 1996 to 2005 – told The New Daily.

“When we played small clubs like Port Adelaide at the MCG, we lost money.

“We knew then that if we wanted to compete with the bigger clubs like Essendon and Carlton that we had to get more profitable"...

The Tasmania option gathered momentum in 2000, though, after more than 7,000 fans attended a practice match between the Hawks and Richmond in Devonport.

That crowd alerted Dicker to the move’s potential.

“Later that year, [then Premier of Tasmania] Jim Bacon rang me and asked if Hawthorn would be interested in Tasmania. He asked me to look at Hobart as a destination,” he said.

“So I looked into it, rang Jim back and said that we could move a game against the Bulldogs to Hobart. But he had changed his mind by then, and wanted us in Launceston.”

But Hawthorn were not the only club looking at the city as a potential destination for matches.

“St Kilda, North Melbourne and Hawthorn were all invited to Launceston at the same time. So, sitting in the stand, we could hear what each other was saying,” Dicker said.

“St Kilda [who would end up playing games in Launceston from 2003 to 2006] said they didn’t want to be there but that Lindsay Fox, who was good mates with Jim, said they had to come...

“North Melbourne then said they got $200,000 out of games in Sydney and if they could beat it, they would consider it. But I wanted to build the Hawthorn brand and get into the Tasmanian community to do so.

“Jim immediately said ‘You’re in’ and that was that”...

And while the arrangement between Hawthorn and Tasmania is not solely responsible for the club’s remarkable transformation – many of Dicker’s other moves, including a $1 purchase of Waverley Park as an administration and training base, have played a key role – it helped the club become a financial powerhouse...

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 7465237561
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-31/h ... xtend-deal
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/h ... 7465243857
http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/2015/07 ... ved-hawks/

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, yeah, that's all great and good Ian, but what about wining games down there? (I can hear GT saying...)

Hawthorn have an outstanding record in Launceston, winning 35 of their 46 matches.

And that record is even more ominous in recent years – the Hawks have won 13 in a row and 20 of their last 21 there.

Familiarity with the large playing surface and significant local support has seen Hawthorn develop a real ‘home ground’ advantage – something no Victorian club bar Geelong can boast – and Dicker said that was always the aim.

“We certainly have a home ground advantage in Launceston. Hawthorn have played on it, right from the start.

“We wanted to play the six interstate clubs down there and play two every season. That way, clubs would only play there once every three years and wouldn’t be used to it."
:idea: :idea: :idea:

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/2015/07 ... ved-hawks/

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Reading their history is interesting. They weren't always a happy team at Hawthorn...
Bill Walton was appointed captain-coach of Hawthorn in 1922. He was however refused a clearance by Port Melbourne and as a result spent the season playing for them, while coaching Hawthorn during the week. Twice that season, he had the unusual situation of playing a VFA game against the club that he coached. In one of those matches a Port Melbourne teammate had to be restrained from striking Walton over Walton's vocal support for the player's opponent...

The Mayblooms, as they were then known became the perennial whipping boys of the competition. Hawthorn had an almost casual attitude towards playing football and, lying remote from major industrial areas and consequently devoid of the business or political patrons available to Carlton, Richmond and Collingwood,[7] were not able to even pay their players the match payment then allowed by the Coulter Law...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorn_Football_Club

None other than Roy Cazaly (why do we keep helping that club?) changed their name to the much tougher 'hawks'.

1968 they also got a big break of zoning giving them 'our' Mornington Peninsula... and hence the bulk of the players who drove their 1970's-1980's era... many/most of whom would otherwise have been Saints. (Sam Kekovich was set to join his bro' at Carlscum, when overnight he was zoned to Nuff Nuff. Similarly, the Saintas had a bloke all lined up, but overnight had to let him go to the Dawks... Leigh Matthews... yep, one way or another, why do we keep helping that club?)

Oh... they also ended up with one of our former players... and former coach... I think everyone knows whom... (Why do we keep helping that club?)

Still not satisfied... we then gave them 'our' state... Tassie. (Why do we keep helping that club?) :(

So yeah, some bloody brilliant management, some good management and pretty bad management... and several pieces of bloody unbelievable good luck... that's the Dawk secret IMHO.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Adding up the $$$ from the Tassie government, memberships, merchandising, exposure (those games get live free-to-air coverage, I believe?) and hence sponsorship, money saved by shifting money losing low attendance games from the MCG to Tassie, and I'm sure the list goes on...

I reckon that move has been comfortably worth a net $50 million to them since 2001.

Hmmmmmmm... what's our current debt? $9/10 mil in the red...?

Well, if we'd done what the Dawks did re Tassie, we'd currently have up to $40 million NET in the bank.

Hmmmmmmm... that's a lot of $$$ to buy influence, uhm, I mean, get things done... like the return home to JO... :idea:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Ok, now that I've started a thread and also got it to page 17...

Despite (most of) the last fifty odd years, do not be jealous.

They will never be cool. And no other team except us will ever be cool.

No other team has what we have... the suburb of St Kilda. Get back to The Junction, tap into that St Kilda happening vibe and cool, and we have more potential to offer supporters (and hence sponsors) than any of the vanilla teams. And again, I'm (eventually) talking here nationally, and also, internationally.

We just need a leadership that has the same sort of vision for the long game as Ian Dicker showed way back when his once mighty Dawks were a rabble and nearly became extinct.

I'm very hopeful that we do now actually have that kind of visionary and 'big picture' leadership. :idea:

And also, I know that it only takes one flag, and all the stuff-ups of the past fade away. (And those stuff-ups will make that flag all the more sweeter... something supporters of successful clubs will never be able to experience btw.)

I also believe that it only takes that one flag to get the monkey of our backs. Win one, and the flood gates will open!

Get back to The Junction, tap into our cool, happening birthplace... and we can (and will) be the Hawthorn of the next fifty years! Only we will be wearing the tri-colour. We will be cool!!! 8-)

So, no, I'm not jealous of the Dawks, nor any of those boring same-same vanilla organizations. The Saintas are individual, cool, non-conformist, unconventional, bohemian arty muso survivors... with a great taste for aesthetics.

Gotta' love those Saintas. :D

I couldn't possibly support any other side in the AFL. I love those Saintas... stuff-ups and all.

ripplug66
Club Player

Is it age that makes you answer yourself Dave?

philtee
Club Player

Go Dave! Your rants should be printed on the next membership brochure!

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Kick long, kick straight Dave. The moment is closer.

felix
Club Player

I think you are jealous lol

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Not jealous just wish we had Clarkson and they had Lyon and Watters!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

whiskers3614 wrote:Not jealous just wish we had Clarkson and they had Lyon and Watters!
The coaches are irrelevant - way, way over-rated - and a nil-all draw in my book (I too would have preferred Clarkson, all the same).
It's their recruiters that we should be jealous of and I wouldn't mind swapping ours for - we could have had Rioli for starters - and players that use the ball with deadly efficiency by hand and foot!
It's the recruiters that make or break teams - the thing is you're stuck with the players you recruit - but you're never stuck with a coach, as there's always a "better" coach out there.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

11 million bucks a year from poker machines.

Some family club.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Go Hawks

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon you can have a little bit of luck, but largely you make your own "luck" happen. Hawthorn were always hungrier than us from the top down and continually planned ahead, and business men at the top ran it like a business and made decisions based on good business sense, in contrast, for decades our people at the top took their business hats off and put their mad supporter hats on, and we just gut-reacted to situations and made stupid short-term moves and let personality, and the tail wag the dog far too much- that definitely has never happened at Hawthorn, at that's what makes strong leadership (mind you, from a Saints supporter, I don't like Hawthorn or their smarmy supporters). As far as I'm concerned we start season 2016 as the new Saints and strive for success on and off the field, and Summers and co better be ruthless and clever in order to get that success.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Good on them! They put West Coast to the sword on Saturday. Great footy club.

ripplug66
Club Player

spert wrote:I reckon you can have a little bit of luck, but largely you make your own "luck" happen. Hawthorn were always hungrier than us from the top down and continually planned ahead, and business men at the top ran it like a business and made decisions based on good business sense, in contrast, for decades our people at the top took their business hats off and put their mad supporter hats on, and we just gut-reacted to situations and made stupid short-term moves and let personality, and the tail wag the dog far too much- that definitely has never happened at Hawthorn, at that's what makes strong leadership (mind you, from a Saints supporter, I don't like Hawthorn or their smarmy supporters). As far as I'm concerned we start season 2016 as the new Saints and strive for success on and off the field, and Summers and co better be ruthless and clever in order to get that success.

They nearly merged. Even we have never got as close as they did. And that was on top of being successful on the ground.

spert
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
spert wrote:I reckon you can have a little bit of luck, but largely you make your own "luck" happen. Hawthorn were always hungrier than us from the top down and continually planned ahead, and business men at the top ran it like a business and made decisions based on good business sense, in contrast, for decades our people at the top took their business hats off and put their mad supporter hats on, and we just gut-reacted to situations and made stupid short-term moves and let personality, and the tail wag the dog far too much- that definitely has never happened at Hawthorn, at that's what makes strong leadership (mind you, from a Saints supporter, I don't like Hawthorn or their smarmy supporters). As far as I'm concerned we start season 2016 as the new Saints and strive for success on and off the field, and Summers and co better be ruthless and clever in order to get that success.

They nearly merged. Even we have never got as close as they did. And that was on top of being successful on the ground.
Fox told me back then that it was never going to happen. It's all history now.

Playon
Club Player

Geez Dave after not posting for ages did you decide to make up for it? :)

loris
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Gotta' love those Saintas. :D

I couldn't possibly support any other side in the AFL. I love those Saintas... stuff-ups and all.
Encore Davey :P

Gotta' love our Davey Mc ! :P

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Good on you, Dave!

No jealousy towards Hawthorn from me. Let them enjoy their current dynasty. They have set a terrific benchmark. A lot of their supporters are possibly spoiled by the success. But meanwhile, I'll continue to be patient in waiting for our long overdue premiership. It'll be worth the wait. The future is starting to look bright, so hopefully it won't be too much longer.

Up the mighty Saints!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Not jealous Dave? Sounds like the worst case of "premiership envy" I've ever seen! Great to see you back, champ. Where have you been?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
To the top
SS Life Member

Interesting that not so many years back they were in discussions to merge with Melbourne.

Where they were on the table is confirmed by the Draft Picks they received to add Franklin and Roughead to their List - and Hodge before that.

So they were cellar dwellers.

These things go in cycles - which is the object of Salary Caps and Drafts.

However, as with Geelong with Father/Son selections giving them a marked advantage until the Drafting rules were changed, and now changed further, Hawthorn have been at their peak when Free Agency has been introduced, an introduction that sets aside the equalisation mantra of the AFL and has given an advantage spruiking "end your career with us and play in a premiership side".

Hence the demographic of their side - and the sides they have recruited those players from and when (Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St Kilda et al - not from teams featuring in finals action).

So they pick the eyes out of teams down the list.

But, Hawthorn's time to slide will come - it is just being delayed by the recruiting of seasoned players from other Clubs down the Premiership Table - and, in the case of St Kilda, they have given up on Picks 18 (Dunstan) and 19 (Acres) to assemble their current List, so hopefully in the very near future we will be saying "Thank you, you had your time in the sun but now it is our time". And we can start attracting Free Agency players to extend our period of domination.

Unless they change the Rules again!!

On another related matter, the NRL Grand Final left the AFL Grand Final so far in its wake it was not funny.

Including TV audience.

When Brisbane took Field Goals instead of attacking the line looking for tries and started kicking to touch on the 5th tackle, believing they could defend their lead they reminded me of Hawthorn and their game plan.

When St George won 11 Premierships on the trot, they changed the rules including bringing in the 5 tackle rule so one side (St George) did not hold the ball throughout the game - which was boring.

The AFL should now consider increasing the distance a ball must travel for a mark to be paid, not allowing a mark if the ball is kicked backwards, refining the "holding the ball" rule to include intent and (even) introducing 2 players required to play in the F50.

Otherwise AFL will continue to be the poor relation to NRL, as we saw last weekend.

ripplug66
Club Player

To the top wrote:Interesting that not so many years back they were in discussions to merge with Melbourne.

Where they were on the table is confirmed by the Draft Picks they received to add Franklin and Roughead to their List - and Hodge before that.

So they were cellar dwellers.

These things go in cycles - which is the object of Salary Caps and Drafts.

However, as with Geelong with Father/Son selections giving them a marked advantage until the Drafting rules were changed, and now changed further, Hawthorn have been at their peak when Free Agency has been introduced, an introduction that sets aside the equalisation mantra of the AFL and has given an advantage spruiking "end your career with us and play in a premiership side".

Hence the demographic of their side - and the sides they have recruited those players from and when (Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St Kilda et al - not from teams featuring in finals action).

So they pick the eyes out of teams down the list.

But, Hawthorn's time to slide will come - it is just being delayed by the recruiting of seasoned players from other Clubs down the Premiership Table - and, in the case of St Kilda, they have given up on Picks 18 (Dunstan) and 19 (Acres) to assemble their current List, so hopefully in the very near future we will be saying "Thank you, you had your time in the sun but now it is our time". And we can start attracting Free Agency players to extend our period of domination.

Unless they change the Rules again!!

On another related matter, the NRL Grand Final left the AFL Grand Final so far in its wake it was not funny.

Including TV audience.

When Brisbane took Field Goals instead of attacking the line looking for tries and started kicking to touch on the 5th tackle, believing they could defend their lead they reminded me of Hawthorn and their game plan.

When St George won 11 Premierships on the trot, they changed the rules including bringing in the 5 tackle rule so one side (St George) did not hold the ball throughout the game - which was boring.

The AFL should now consider increasing the distance a ball must travel for a mark to be paid, not allowing a mark if the ball is kicked backwards, refining the "holding the ball" rule to include intent and (even) introducing 2 players required to play in the F50.

Otherwise AFL will continue to be the poor relation to NRL, as we saw last weekend.

The average city audience for the AFL was higher than the NRL which is amazing considering the timeslots. Yep the game was better but that can happen. Nothing the AFL can do about making the games close. We had some very good GF's in the last few years except the last 2. I'm sure the NRL have had poor ones as well. The AFL has never been considered the poor relation to the NRL unless one year does that. Cant remember to many people apart from us complaining about the pies and Geelong GF when they played us. And I hope they never bring in set positions. What a joke that would be. Don't mind a 20 metre kick but don't think it really changes the game especially if sides play off their man as much as WCE did on Saturday.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dont think they should change the distance of a kick or of running with the ball, but they should enforce them better. How often do you see a player run further with the ball than a recent kick, bearing in mind they should be the same distance. Also they should make that distance to include the man on the mark. Too often you see mark paid when then ball has traveled to just beside the man on the mark.
Also this kicking backwards crap. Something should be done about that. Even in the Grand Final Hawthorn had control of the ball near the end of the match and just chipped it around for a couple of minutes. There must have been eight or more backwards kicks involved. I would setting a limit on how many backwards kicks there can be in a piece of play to say two, then the umpire calls them play-on.