Team v Eagles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Team v Eagles

@AFL_PKeane: WCoast v StKilda:
Butler, Masten, Wellingham, Nelson for McGinnity, Bennell, Newman, Barrass.
Ray, Lonie for Schneider, Hickey.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Team v Eagles

Extremely conservative selections for an utterly meaningless game. Why Ray, seriously? Acres is fit, Sinclair is fit, Eli is fit, I think McKenzie is fit, hell even Siposs is fit and in form.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Team v Eagles

B
Sean Dempster Hugh Goddard Sam Fisher
HB
Jarryn Geary Dylan Roberton Jimmy Webster
C
Farren Ray David Armitage Jack Newnes
HF
Leigh Montagna Nick Riewoldt Sebastian Ross
F
Maverick Weller Josh Bruce Jack Lonie
FOL
Jason Holmes Jack Steven Luke Dunstan
I/C
Shane Savage Sam Gilbert Brodie Murdoch Darren Minchington
EMG
Luke Delaney Jack Sinclair Lewis Pierce
IN

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Stian
Club Player

FQF wrote:Extremely conservative selections for an utterly meaningless game. Why Ray, seriously? Acres is fit, Sinclair is fit, Eli is fit, I think McKenzie is fit, hell even Siposs is fit and in form.
The coaching panel must have a genuine belief that we can be competitive and they are looking for the team morale boost of a win or honourable loss rather than the individual benefits of getting games into a couple of individuals.

Probably also means that that they don't think that they need to have another look at any particular players before the hard delisting decisions are made????

mambo2706
Club Player

Interesting dropping Hickey. Not sure Holmes is up to competing with Nick Nat for an entire games on his own yet.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mambo2706 wrote:Interesting dropping Hickey. Not sure Holmes is up to competing with Nick Nat for an entire games on his own yet.
Its 2 or 3 times the guy has been dropped now. I have almost no doubt if he was rucking this year he wouldn't have been dropped at all. The poor guy isn't going to make it as a tall forward. I feel sorry for him because to me he is clearly a ruckman and our best ruckman.

St Loxton
Club Player

mambo2706 wrote:Interesting dropping Hickey. Not sure Holmes is up to competing with Nick Nat for an entire games on his own yet.
Was just thinking the same. Maybe he can learn a lot from the eexperience.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Agree happy for Holmes to go around,maybe Pierce may come into side.Did well at Sandy by all accounts

mambo2706
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Its 2 or 3 times the guy has been dropped now. I have almost no doubt if he was rucking this year he wouldn't have been dropped at all. The poor guy isn't going to make it as a tall forward. I feel sorry for him because to me he is clearly a ruckman and our best ruckman.
Yep. He's good when resting forward but not as a full time forward. I've said in another topic I think he plays best when he is the only ruckman. I think he's a great tap ruckman and certainly the best of our ruckman around the ground.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Stian wrote:
FQF wrote:Extremely conservative selections for an utterly meaningless game. Why Ray, seriously? Acres is fit, Sinclair is fit, Eli is fit, I think McKenzie is fit, hell even Siposs is fit and in form.
The coaching panel must have a genuine belief that we can be competitive and they are looking for the team morale boost of a win or honourable loss rather than the individual benefits of getting games into a couple of individuals.

Probably also means that that they don't think that they need to have another look at any particular players before the hard delisting decisions are made????
If they think Ray is going to have any impact on the result they are seriously deluded. I doubt that is the case.

I think more likely it is a farewell for Faz of sorts.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
I agree. The management of Hickey has been very poor.

mambo2706
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think more likely it is a farewell for Faz of sorts.
Wasn't he offered a one year contract?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mambo2706 wrote:
Wasn't he offered a one year contract?
Maybe they're fattening him up for sale? Or else hoping he'll perform badly so contract negotiations are easier.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Maybe they want to add something to a side that copped a 97-point thumping last week.

sainterryan

Maybe the kids havent been picked because they want them to play vfl finals

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

Maybe they want to add something to a side that copped a 97-point thumping last week.
Eagles will be quaking in their boots im sure.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Maybe because its meaningless Faz can go visit his family. Don't want our young guns hurting themselves when they could play in a VFL final. Good practice for them.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Thought Pierce would've come in but obviously going for the extra runner on the big Subiaco ground.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Was hoping to use this...

http://tinypic.com/r/2qntms6/8

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Was hoping to use this...

http://tinypic.com/r/2qntms6/8

Very good!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

So only two talls in the forward line. No third tall or resting ruckman and Bruce will have to help out in the ruck. Mmmm.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Jacks Back wrote:So only two talls in the forward line. No third tall or resting ruckman and Bruce will have to help out in the ruck. Mmmm.
Big ground would rather the extra runner..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:So only two talls in the forward line. No third tall or resting ruckman and Bruce will have to help out in the ruck. Mmmm.

Except for the ruck bit I think footy is heading for less and less talls unless they can get around the ground. That is why we don't even slight ly need to recuit talls this season. Every single pick must be a mid. We may only get 4 picks and based on how many players usually don't make it if we pick 4 mids only 2 or at the most 3 will be good enough to play any meaningful AFL footy. Leave any talls to the rookie draft and don't recruit any older players to the rookie draft unless they are KP backs.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Except for the ruck bit I think footy is heading for less and less talls unless they can get around the ground. That is why we don't even slight ly need to recuit talls this season. Every single pick must be a mid. We may only get 4 picks and based on how many players usually don't make it if we pick 4 mids only 2 or at the most 3 will be good enough to play any meaningful AFL footy. Leave any talls to the rookie draft and don't recruit any older players to the rookie draft unless they are KP backs.
So what do we do with Roo, Bruce, McCartin, Membrey and the three rucks when they are all fit? We can't just have two talls and one ruckman. We really need that third tall/lead up type player such as a Membrey (or similar) because we tend to break down in that area.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
spert
Saintsational Legend

The game means nothing on the back of a weak 97 point thrashing. I'm just hoping the club does the right thing from hereon in to manage the list- I just feel we're hanging on to too many older players for too long.