A tit bit for those S/S old enough to remember the era!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

A tit bit for those S/S old enough to remember the era!

Reading the latest Retired Police Gazette. There is a section called 'Reflections of the Past' one article is about the Victoria Police Boxing & Wrestling Club in the 1950's. From that article I thought you might find this piece interesting:

'The atmosphere reeks with the smell of over-heated sweating bodies, blood and saliva tinctured by the odour rising from the resin tray used by the boxers to maintain their footing. The place is poorly ventilated with windows set too high on the walls for easy access and only one pedestal fan (when it was working) to cover the whole area.
Victorian Football League (forerunner to the AFL) players also frequent this place. The likes of Bruce McLennan aka "Little Sport" because of his resemblance to a newspaper cartoon character. Bruce played on the backline for St Kilda and was also a better than average cricketer and tennis player. Ron Taylor, VFL South Melbourne footballer and Olympic boxer trained there as did Alan Jeans, one time St Kilda captain and coach. He was one of the inaugural members of the Bodgie Squad at Russell Street. A plain clothes unit set up to combat the problem created by the new cult of bodigiesand their female counterparts the widgies, who were making a nuisance of themselves around Melbourne and St Kilda'.

There you are you lot old enough to remember bodgies & widgies. So our old coach Jeansy dealt with them too. Was there no end to his talents eh??

If I can recollect correctly Bruce McLennan, left the Saints to play for Collingwood, or was it vice versa he came to the Saints from Collingwood? I'm sure someone on here will enhance my fading memory. I can never remember him playing for the Saints, I only knew him as a Detective at Russell street and he did tell me he played for the Saints & Collingwood.

I know Bruce was in the Melbourne papers a year or so back......... this time on the other side of the law. :shock: Those of you who live down the Mornington Peninsula way may recall the name........ It was a very sad case. Think Bruce got off the charges...... diminished responsibility or some such thing as he was suffering dementia me thinks

'Fess up.......... who was a Bodgie or a Widgie? Not I :P

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Re: A tit bit for those S/S old enough to remember the era!

Less said about Bruce McLennan the better it seems Loris.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 88403.html

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
loris
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Less said about Bruce McLennan the better it seems Loris.

Yes GO , as I said - a sad case . I have a feeling he didn't serve a jail sentence, maybe be he appealed the decision and had the sentence changed. Even tho that article says he had heart problems I'm sure a retired friend of mine from Dromana who used to work with him told me he was in advanced stages of either dementia or Alzheimer's and that was taken into account in what ever sentencing he served.

Sad case..... too often such individuals abuse the power they have over young innocents whose lives are scarred for ever.

On a lighter note GO............... I hope Officer Alan Jeans never had to say .......'You're nicked Grumpy One', because you were a Bodgie loitering around St Kilda :wink:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I worked afternoon shift with Bruce in 1977 at Russell St. We were both Detective Sergeants at the time. I had a chat with him about his days with the Saints. He told me that when he first got to the club, Keith Drinan was the only bloke beside himself that trained in a sleeveless jumper. Bruce did not think much of the other Saints players.

The Disch
Club Player

+1
Loris i think it is more than just a sad case.
Hope your not intermating it was sad for poor old Bruce.

loris
Saintsational Legend

The Disch wrote:

+1
Loris i think it is more than just a sad case.
Hope your not intermating it was sad for poor old Bruce.
Definitely, Not at all.. I think you would have understood that if you had read the complete sentence in my reply to GO., but you interpret what you want.

Although I'm sure it was very hard on his family as well, so I will admit feeling compassion for them.

Having been a social worker for a period in my working life I more than the average joe public have been exposed to the horror, heartbreak and harm of such cases.

The Disch
Club Player

There you go again, worrying about HIS family.
Oh well we all see things differently.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

loris wrote:On a lighter note GO............... I hope Officer Alan Jeans never had to say .......'You're nicked Grumpy One', because you were a Bodgie loitering around St Kilda :wink:
Nah Loris...... Chelt boy in those days. :wink:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I often wonder what exactly Jeansy did in the Police Force. Every time I visited Russell Street with my dad in the 50s and early 60s Jeansie was in the gym wrestling someone or other. I'm pretty sure he was coaching a bloke who represented Australia at the Olympics.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
jamesmc
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:I often wonder what exactly Jeansy did in the Police Force. Every time I visited Russell Street with my dad in the 50s and early 60s Jeansie was in the gym wrestling someone or other. I'm pretty sure he was coaching a bloke who represented Australia at the Olympics.
What are you implying here Shakey?? :? :?

loris
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:I often wonder what exactly Jeansy did in the Police Force. Every time I visited Russell Street with my dad in the 50s and early 60s Jeansie was in the gym wrestling someone or other. I'm pretty sure he was coaching a bloke who represented Australia at the Olympics.
There are a number of wrestlers names in the article BS, one is Ray Mitchell who was an Olympic wrestler - he may be the one you are referring to.

Apart from the police wrestlers, it also mentions the professional wrestlers who were always at the police gym notably, Big Chief Little Wolf, Bonny Muir & Jack Toohey.

Also in the Gazette there is a piece on a mid-week police team the 1962 Southern Police Premiership Team . It says the team included a few of the then VFL and VFA players. I can recognise a couple of copper Saints amongst them and an VFL Umpire plus Sandy player. I'm sure you can recognise more VFL & VFA players, Bernard.

These are the names:
G.Tampion, K.Blanchfield, P.Caddaye, B.Gaudion, R.Friend, J.Wade, M.Rogers, W.gibbons, W.Coady, D.Johnston, K.Egan, R.Mannachie, H.Rodda, M.Wells, W.Jubb, G.Trewitt, M.Porter, D.Oakley, R.Ryan, F.Crawford, R.Jennings, E.May, A.Buston, B.Annand & K.Clarke.

The Saints names I can recognise are Bill Coady and Bud Annand.
The Umpire is Bert Gaudion.
The Sandringham player is Dennis Oakely. The Saints tried so hard to get Oakley to play for them, but for some reason he didn't go to the then VFL. I know he spent a number of occasions doing pre-seasons with the Saints. He left the Police Force to go into social work I think, then he eventually became a minister of religion . Or it may have been his brother who became the minister........ My memory is getting hazy on players of 53 years ago. I think M.Porter played for Richmond, he was also a police wrestler.

See how you go Bernard Shakey & borderbarry........ I'm sure you can place more names than I have

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

It Was Ray Mitchell I was thinking of.

I was introduced to Big Chief Little Wolf by Yabby as a ten year old. One of the highlights of my life!

One of my younger brothers would be the only person to ever have the number 29 on his back in those days.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell