Poll: Who Goes Off the List This Year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Who is delisted or retires or is traded or otherwise ends up no longer with the club in 2016?

Poll ended at Tue 21 Jul 2015 7:36am

Tom Curren
7%
Luke Delaney
1%
Sean Dempster
1%
Sam Fisher
8%
Sam Gilbert
1%
Tom Hickey
3%
Jason Holmes (r)
0%
Tom Lee
2%
Daniel Markworth
4%
Darren Minchington
5%
Leigh Montagna
0%
Brodie Murdoch
2%
Brenton Payne (r)
1%
Lewis Pierce
4%
Farren Ray
4%
Nick Riewoldt
0%
Ahmed Saad (r)
13%
Josh Saunders
3%
Adam Schneider (r)
8%
Cam Shenton
2%
Tom Simpkin
12%
Arryn Siposs
6%
Spencer White
11%
Nathan Wright
1%

Total votes: 379

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Poll: Who Goes Off the List This Year?

This includes all the options who could remotely be considered a possibility to go. All the veterans are on here, just in case you think they should retire. Hickey is on here because he's a trade possibility.

Once a bunch of people have voted, we'll know what Saintsational's collective wisdom says about list management for this year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Poll: Who Goes Off the List This Year?

Trade Hickey, delist White, Siposs, Simpkin, Minchington, Saad Retire Ray and Schneider. That list does show how many are short of AFL class at the moment.
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 07 Jul 2015 8:07am, edited 1 time in total.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Trade Hickey, delist White, Siposs, Simpkin, Minchington Retire Ray and Schneider.
Are you going to vote in the poll?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Trade Hickey, delist White, Siposs, Simpkin, Minchington Retire Ray and Schneider.
Are you going to vote in the poll?

I thought I did but didn't press submit. I will do it again.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Delist or retire
Curran Fisher Markworth Saad Schnider Simpkin Siposs
7 gone

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Is this who we want or what we think will happen?

karnaby
Club Player

I voted for who I think will go but I also wonder if Markworth &/or Pierce might be downgraded to the rookie list so I didn't include those two.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Hallalj#3
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Trade Hickey, delist White, Siposs, Simpkin, Minchington, Saad Retire Ray and Schneider. That list does show how many are short of AFL class at the moment.
You think we could get a first rounder for Hickey?

I think Essendon might bite.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Is this who we want or what we think will happen?
Who we want, I reckon.

Personally I'm surprised there are so many votes for Fisher. Has he been that bad?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Who we want, I reckon.

Personally I'm surprised there are so many votes for Fisher. Has he been that bad?
He's been very good, it would be more about durability I imagine.

We prob need to lose a few vets so people are picking Dempster over Fisher to stay.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I chose Fisher to retire because as it was last week Delany and Goddard both missed out and need some games if not this year then definitely next year. Delany we need to know by half way through next season if we believe he is part of the future and Goddard needs to develop.

stjay
Club Player

Think it is about who is coming out of contract and the likelihood of being re-signed.
Here's the list:
St. Kilda: Sam Gilbert (UFA), Sam Fisher (UFA), Arryn Sipposs, Farren Ray, Tom Simpkin, Sean Dempster, Lewis Peirce, Spencer White, Darren Minchington, Daniel Markworth, Joseph Baker-Thomas, Jason Holmes, Adam Schneider, Ahmed Saad, Brenton Payne

A lot of votes for Tom Curren but he is not out of contract.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Will Tom Lee still have a future at St.Kilda FC after this season is done?

Looks like we'll have a few less Toms. The Jacks and Joshes aren't in any danger, however.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Who we want, I reckon.

Its not about him being 'bad.' He has only played 25 games in three years and is 33.

saintjake
Club Player

I'm amazed with so many people calling for Ray to get chopped.
He's come back from injury and is consistently getting over 20 touches and still adds plenty to the side.
Why would we cut him? Just because he's older than the others?

Fisher and Schneider are almost certain to retire or he retired.
Curren can't get into the team because he is behind Dunstan Ross and Weller. - Gone

Minchington is behind Billings, Lonie, Sinclair for small forward rolls and when he's played he really hasn't offered much. - Gone

Simpkin clearly is out of favour and just not good enough to play. I'd be amazed of he's still on the list next year. Odds on favourite to be the first one cut.

Saad - again, behind Lonie, Billings and Sinclair. And they can all play up the ground whereas he can't. - Gone

Spencer is clearly in the dog house and will probably be Gone. Potential might keep him.

Saunders and Murdoch haven't offered anything yet.
Siposs and Markworth like wise.

There is at least 10 guys who would be on the chopping block before Ray.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:I'm amazed with so many people calling for Ray to get chopped.
He's come back from injury and is consistently getting over 20 touches and still adds plenty to the side.

Curren can't get into the team because he is behind Dunstan Ross and Weller. - Gone

Minchington is behind Billings, Lonie, Sinclair for small forward rolls and when he's played he really hasn't offered much. - Gone

Simpkin clearly is out of favour and just not good enough to play. I'd be amazed of he's still on the list next year. Odds on favourite to be the first one cut.

Saad - again, behind Lonie, Billings and Sinclair. And they can all play up the ground whereas he can't. - Gone

Spencer is clearly in the dog house and will probably be Gone. Potential might keep him.

A few of them have age on their side. It will depend on Fisher I would think. They will want to lose at least 2 of our older players. Fisher has the advantage of being a better player and in a much more important position. Ray players where hal;f the team play. I would ask Ray to retire if Fisher wants to go on.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think there are a few who are extremely fortunate to have contracts for 2016. Really poor list management to have Saunders, Murdoch, Shenton and Curren signed on IMO as they are all players I would delist at the end of the year.

It will probably be Siposs, White, Simpkin and Minchington who end up being cut from the senior list with Schneider and Saad gone from the rookie list. Sinclair promoted to the seniors with Markworth/Pierce being candidates for demotion if we want to recruit another player to the senior list. Of course there's always the chance that they could pay out Saunders (who clearly is a long, long way behind the new crop of kids), Curren or Murdoch as well.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I think there are a few who are extremely fortunate to have contracts for 2016. Really poor list management to have Saunders, Murdoch, Shenton and Curren signed on IMO as they are all players I would delist at the end of the year.

It will probably be Siposs, White, Simpkin and Minchington who end up being cut from the senior list with Schneider and Saad gone from the rookie list. Sinclair promoted to the seniors with Markworth/Pierce being candidates for demotion if we want to recruit another player to the senior list. Of course there's always the chance that they could pay out Saunders (who clearly is a long, long way behind the new crop of kids), Curren or Murdoch as well.
Costs a relatively very small amount to pay out any of those guys. If it's the right thing to do for list management then the club shouldn't blink at it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:I think there are a few who are extremely fortunate to have contracts for 2016. Really poor list management to have Saunders, Murdoch, Shenton and Curren signed on IMO as they are all players I would delist at the end of the year.

Costs a relatively very small amount to pay out any of those guys. If it's the right thing to do for list management then the club shouldn't blink at it.

Im sure they wont but we have plenty to delist anyway. Still along way short of a good list which is expected at this stage of the rebuild.

saintjake
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

A few of them have age on their side. It will depend on Fisher I would think. They will want to lose at least 2 of our older players. Fisher has the advantage of being a better player and in a much more important position. Ray players where hal;f the team play. I would ask Ray to retire if Fisher wants to go on.
I hear what you're saying, but I don't agree.

Yeah Fisher plays in a more important position.
But he's more injury prone thanmy 80 year old Grandfather.
There is NO point in having Fisher on the list for another year when he will more than likely breakdown and miss a huge chunk of games.

I'd rather the club give him his papers and maybe look to trade or sign a free agent who can fit the role who has more durability if they don't think Delaney is up to it.

I don't see a benefit to keeping Fisher on the list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I hear what you're saying, but I don't agree.

Yeah Fisher plays in a more important position.
But he's more injury prone thanmy 80 year old Grandfather.
There is NO point in having Fisher on the list for another year when he will more than likely breakdown and miss a huge chunk of games.

I'd rather the club give him his papers and maybe look to trade or sign a free agent who can fit the role who has more durability if they don't think Delaney is up to it.

I don't see a benefit to keeping Fisher on the list.
Fisher has played double the amount of games as ray this year and is a CHB. Ray plays in position that most could play. Maybe both of them could go. IMO of course I would get rid of ray first.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Voted for Riewoldt - has been

You are garbage - Enough said
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think we need an orderly, staggered set of retirements.

2015 - Schneider Fisher
2016 Dempster Ray
2017 - Joey Gilbert Roo (?)

Comments

? next to Roo because I wouldn't want to put any limits on him. Clearly he is not a normal human.

Is Gilbert tradeable? We ask this question pretty much every single year. Highly unlikely that he is now.

Also Ray might need to play some VFL games next year which he may not want to do - so open dialogue there with him for next year. His call in some ways.

If we go just purely on form then Schneider is ahead of Faz. As good a bloke as he is, Faz kind of seems the most replaceable as he plays a generic kind of role.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Any chance at all Hickey could get us a pick in the top 30?

If so I reckon he is 100% bait.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Any chance at all Hickey could get us a pick in the top 30?

If so I reckon he is 100% bait.

Yep he would get a top 30 pick I reckon. Essendons second rounder or Carlisle and our second rounder.