Changes v Hawks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Changes v Hawks

@AFL_PKeane: StK/Haw
Ray, Savage, Curren, Ross, Minchington, Goddard for Weller, Dunstan, McKenzie.
Lewis, Schoenmakers, Langford, O’Rourke for Puopolo.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Hawks

Good to see Ray and Savage back as well as Curren.

The Poopa out for the Hawks is a bonus

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
#gosaintas
Club Player

They have brought Shoenmakers in to stretch us further for height. If Goddard doesn't play the match ups will be interesting.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Think it'll be Ray, Savage and Ross the in's.. Unless they go with Curren in the tagging role that Weller left open.

Will be going in very short down back..

anthony_13
Club Player

I find it really hard to understand why Lee wasn't brought in

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I feel sorry for Lee, I reckon he's gone now. No Fisher and Goddard goes in before him. He probably would have suited playing on Gunston too. I reckon he should start packing his stuff up Richo mustn't rate him. Fisher will be back soon and he will miss his opportunity. Iguess these are the mysteries in selection the fans don't understand. At first he was playing well but there wasn't a spot, now there is a spot and he's playing well and he still isn't getting a go. Goddard is a first year and walks up. I thought it was strange that Paddy gets a go before Lee and Spencer. We have wasted those picks because they aren't developing them or have any interest in playing them. I think Richo seems to be able to coach but not sure on his player management. Maybe there is a post Pelchen thing where they don't want to credit him so won't let anyone he drafted make it. At least he isn't Jarred Allen, we might as well have shot his dog and stole his car while he was in hospital the way we treated him.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

ST KILDA

B Jarryn Geary, Sean Dempster, Cameron Shenton
HB Jack Newnes, Luke Delaney, Jimmy Webster
C Blake Acres, David Armitage, Farren Ray
HF Leigh Montagna, Nick Riewoldt, Jack Billings
F Tom Hickey, Josh Bruce, Jack Lonie
FOL Billy Longer, Adam Schneider, Jack Steven
I/C Shane Savage, Sebastian Ross, Dylan Roberton, Tom Curren, Hugh Goddard, Jack Sinclair, Darren Minchington (Three to be omitted)
IN
Farren Ray, Shane Savage, Sebastian Ross, Tom Curren, Hugh Goddard, Darren Minchington
OUT
Daniel McKenzie (Concussion), Maverick Weller (Suspension), Luke Dunstan (Rested)
NEW
Hugh Goddard
MILESTONES: Jack Steven - Playing 100th game

Ray into the 18, Roberton and Sinclair potential omissions.

But I can't see Roberton being dropped.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I feel sorry for Lee, I reckon he's gone now. No Fisher and Goddard goes in before him. He probably would have suited playing on Gunston too. I reckon he should start packing his stuff up Richo mustn't rate him. Fisher will be back soon and he will miss his opportunity. Iguess these are the mysteries in selection the fans don't understand. At first he was playing well but there wasn't a spot, now there is a spot and he's playing well and he still isn't getting a go. Goddard is a first year and walks up. I thought it was strange that Paddy gets a go before Lee and Spencer. We have wasted those picks because they aren't developing them or have any interest in playing them. I think Richo seems to be able to coach but not sure on his player management. Maybe there is a post Pelchen thing where they don't want to credit him so won't let anyone he drafted make it. At least he isn't Jarred Allen, we might as well have shot his dog and stole his car while he was in hospital the way we treated him.

We treated Allen fine until he left, then we stuffed up. There is no proof we have stuffed up with Lee ny not playing him but we may have stuffed up by picking him. Not every player needs to play ones to see if they are up to it. We have about 8 coanhes who see these guys every day and every minute of every game plus numerous replays. I garther the coaches are trying to do the best for the side so they will pick the best side that in the long run will help us. They make errors but probably 99% less than we make on here.

Macca82

Does anyone know what the go is with Spencer White, didn't play last week for Sandringham and missing again this week, hes not listed as injured.

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I feel sorry for Lee, I reckon he's gone now. No Fisher and Goddard goes in before him. He probably would have suited playing on Gunston too. I reckon he should start packing his stuff up Richo mustn't rate him. Fisher will be back soon and he will miss his opportunity. Iguess these are the mysteries in selection the fans don't understand. At first he was playing well but there wasn't a spot, now there is a spot and he's playing well and he still isn't getting a go. Goddard is a first year and walks up. I thought it was strange that Paddy gets a go before Lee and Spencer. We have wasted those picks because they aren't developing them or have any interest in playing them. I think Richo seems to be able to coach but not sure on his player management. Maybe there is a post Pelchen thing where they don't want to credit him so won't let anyone he drafted make it. At least he isn't Jarred Allen, we might as well have shot his dog and stole his car while he was in hospital the way we treated him.

We treated Allen fine until he left, then we stuffed up. There is no proof we have stuffed up with Lee ny not playing him but we may have stuffed up by picking him. Not every player needs to play ones to see if they are up to it. We have about 8 coanhes who see these guys every day and every minute of every game plus numerous replays. I garther the coaches are trying to do the best for the side so they will pick the best side that in the long run will help us. They make errors but probably 99% less than we make on here.
If Goddard doesn't play then we are tanking or the selectors are clueless. There is no other explanation.

Saint wagga
Club Player

My guess for final line up will be
Ins ray, curren, Minchi and Goddard
Out: macca, Weller, dunstan and Shenton

Think we'd be too short in defence without another tall as hale is very effective forward, roughy and gunstan. Shenton unlucky IMO

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Macca82 wrote:Does anyone know what the go is with Spencer White, didn't play last week for Sandringham and missing again this week, hes not listed as injured.
I think it's lack of application that's his problem from I've read on here. If so, he's finished. Totally unacceptable in Richo's book, regardless of natural ability.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:My guess for final line up will be
Ins ray, curren, Minchi and Goddard
Out: macca, Weller, dunstan and Shenton

Think we'd be too short in defence without another tall as hale is very effective forward, roughy and gunstan. Shenton unlucky IMO
That sounds silly replacing Shents with Goddard against the Hawks. Why put a first gamer under so much pressure?

Sorry, just read if Goddard doesn't play we are tanking.

Gaz, where's your flying pigs gone?

elvis lives
Club Player

Lee is clearly the better performing player in the VFL, though Goddard has been very good also.
But Lee has been either best on or close to it four weeks in a row and has well and truly earnt a call up. There's plenty of time to play Goddard, and far better games to debut in. It jut my opinion but I reckon it was a mistake playing McCartin against the pies on a Friday night and his confidence suffered. Run a big risk I doing the same here. Regardless, Lee was clearly next in line for a defensive spot in the seniors.

I am marching in the Saints army
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

elvis lives wrote:Lee is clearly the better performing player in the VFL, though Goddard has been very good also.
But Lee has been either best on or close to it four weeks in a row and has well and truly earnt a call up. There's plenty of time to play Goddard, and far better games to debut in. It jut my opinion but I reckon it was a mistake playing McCartin against the pies on a Friday night and his confidence suffered. Run a big risk I doing the same here. Regardless, Lee was clearly next in line for a defensive spot in the seniors.

So why are the coaches doing it in your opinion? And who cares about McCartin confidence. It wont matter next year. By the way he was the best performed forward when he was picked so I don't understand how you want Lee for that reason but not McCartin.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:ST KILDA

B Jarryn Geary, Sean Dempster, Cameron Shenton
HB Jack Newnes, Luke Delaney, Jimmy Webster
C Blake Acres, David Armitage, Farren Ray
HF Leigh Montagna, Nick Riewoldt, Jack Billings
F Tom Hickey, Josh Bruce, Jack Lonie
FOL Billy Longer, Adam Schneider, Jack Steven
I/C Shane Savage, Sebastian Ross, Dylan Roberton, Tom Curren, Hugh Goddard, Jack Sinclair, Darren Minchington (Three to be omitted)
IN
Farren Ray, Shane Savage, Sebastian Ross, Tom Curren, Hugh Goddard, Darren Minchington
OUT
Daniel McKenzie (Concussion), Maverick Weller (Suspension), Luke Dunstan (Rested)
NEW
Hugh Goddard
MILESTONES: Jack Steven - Playing 100th game

Ray into the 18, Roberton and Sinclair potential omissions.

But I can't see Roberton being dropped.
I reckon Roberton may be injured. He played well last week and limped off the ground after kicking a goal in the last Q

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
elvis lives wrote:Lee is clearly the better performing player in the VFL, though Goddard has been very good also.

So why are the coaches doing it in your opinion? And who cares about McCartin confidence. It wont matter next year. By the way he was the best performed forward when he was picked so I don't understand how you want Lee for that reason but not McCartin.

WTF are you sure he was the best performing forward? He hadn't kicked a VFL goal at that point I don't think. I'd hate to see the worst. We came out saying we won't put pressure on him by playing him before he's ready then we name him. Then bring him in with out warning. Lee is being royally screwed in not getting a run at the seniors. If I was him I would be sending the footage of his VFL form around the recruiters.

FQF
SS Life Member

If they bring in Schoenmakers and we leave out Goddard we'll be truly stuffed. We may end up seeing Bruce go back to the backline mid match.

It concerned me that when Richo was asked in the presser if we needed more height in defence, he said that the defence held up really well against Brisbane and they like the balance they've got. Is that a serious answer? Sides need to be picked based on the opposition and we played last week against a team with zero decent key forwards and this week against a team with at least 3.

I agree with most that Lee would probably have been a more suitable in but now that Goddard is selected, we must back him in.

#gosaintas
Club Player

FQF wrote:If they bring in Schoenmakers and we leave out Goddard we'll be truly stuffed. We may end up seeing Bruce go back to the backline mid match.

It concerned me that when Richo was asked in the presser if we needed more height in defence, he said that the defence held up really well against Brisbane and they like the balance they've got. Is that a serious answer? Sides need to be picked based on the opposition and we played last week against a team with zero decent key forwards and this week against a team with at least 3.

I agree with most that Lee would probably have been a more suitable in but now that Goddard is selected, we must back him in.
If Richardson doesn't play Lee or Goddard he is clueless or tanking. There is no other explanation.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
FQF wrote:If they bring in Schoenmakers and we leave out Goddard we'll be truly stuffed. We may end up seeing Bruce go back to the backline mid match.

If Richardson doesn't play Lee or Goddard he is clueless or tanking. There is no other explanation.

Or he knows more than you.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunate Lee isnt getting an opportunity given he has re-invented himself as a defender.

Re-drafting Saad and then playing him in the first five games show the coaches don't get it right 100% of time. Sure they mostly get it right and know a lot more than the fans - but that doesnt make them perfect omniscient oracles either. They are human. And even if they were oracles - if we cant criticize selection on a footy forum we might as well just close SS down.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 04 Jun 2015 9:12pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

If our midfield gets annihilated it won't matter if we have Silvagni, Jakovich, Spud and Barker in the back 6, we'd get opened up and scored against heavily, such is Hawthorns precision and skill.

We hold our own through the middle, guys like Schoenmakers won't be as much of an issue.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Unfortunate Lee isnt getting an opportunity given he has re-invented himself as a defender.

Re-drafting Saad and then playing him in the first five games show the coaches don't get it right 100% of time. Sure they mostly get it right and know a lot more than the fans - but that doesnt make them perfect omniscient oracles either. They are human. And even if they were - if we cant criticize selection on a footy forum we might as well just close SS down.

Maybe that wasn't the coaches at all. And that's different to picking the side weekly anyway. What ever they do right or wrong they know so much more than us when picking the side. And we can criticise but when we get comments that a coach knows nothing or is tanking then we have every right to suggest the coaches know more than a silly poster.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

It's a really weird selection. Hawthorn will probably have 65 inside 50s and he'll be making his debut playing on a Coleman Medallist or a dual premiership player who's a couple of inches taller than him. Sounds like a recipe for sure-fire failure, no matter how good he is. Not to mention that he seems to be more of a stay-at-home defender, so along with Delaney we'll have two guys who don't give much rebound.

Still, benefit of the doubt until 6:30pm Sunday, I guess.

felix
Club Player

Bit of an overreaction with lee , he has been a back men for how long a few weeks , by all reports he is doing well down back he should get a few games towards the end of the season with an eye for next year of being a more permanent back man . It's a long year there will be more injuries he will get a chance .