Silver lining 2015

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

andrewg
Club Player

Silver lining 2015

While it sux to loose and I don't condone tanking we need to have another last Finish this year. While getting a first round draft pick is an obvious benefit having the first pick in the pre season draft is just as important for us. This will be essential in attracting and obtaining out of contract players. To win 6 games and come 15-16 would be a disaster. It's the way the competition is at the moment and we need to 'play the game' if we don't we may end up like the Tigers. Again losses like today hurt short term but won't be thought about when we have a 1st pick and Shiel/Traloar/Sloan in the red white and black come round 1 2016.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Silver lining 2015

Suns have 18th covered atm. They are woeful and look like they're not even trying. They will come good though, there's too much talent there. Demons and Dogs look to be ahead of us and even though the Lions are struggling they have a good home ground advantage. Long way to go. I reckon we just keep trying to win every week, giving 100% effort, and see what happens. Might still get pick 1.

Saintsational Legend

losing to an undermanned Carlton side just about clinches the deal for the number 1 pick.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

No 1 is what it's about folks

“Yeah….nah””
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Surely we don't want another wooden spoon?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Pick one and two will certainly assist in the rebuild.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Surely we don't want another wooden spoon?
No but we do want another genuine crack at a Premiership and some stars in a side to get excited about.

That doesnt happen finishing 9th with our list and cash stocks and right now the comps elite arent busting down our door to be traded to us.....

Gotta draft well and to do that you need high picks - again no guarantee but it buys choice.

“Yeah….nah””
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:Surely we don't want another wooden spoon?
I don't like the idea either. Although the optimist in me would take another spoon if it meant a better shot at a 2nd premiership, by my math another spoon is a 3% increase in spoonage, a premiership is a 100% increase in cups (it's really not easy being a optimist sometimes haha)

Then again I have heard nothing ahout the upcoming draft class, is there going to be a #1 certainty? otherwise 16-18 are about the same.

andrewg
Club Player

Wooden spoons are pretty much the only way to add real talent to the list. It's not right but as it stands, thats the way AFL is. ATM there is only reward for first and last. Not to say pick 2,3 or 4 arnt good but that first pick in pre season draft is crucial.

SMS
Club Player

Lonie and Sinclair are guns!!!
We are building a flag team.
Webster and MKenzie still to show us we have speed and agility.

Dont know why anyone would be sad we are showing some great signs. Great pressure at times and skill at time. YES the kids cant play 4 quarters and make mistakes when tired and under pressure but thats normal. Whats not normal and what melbourne and tigers youngsters wiuldne do years ago is SHOW HEART AND SKILL. I think Lonie, Sinclair, Dinstan, Bruce, Billings, Longer are all showing this. Good times ahead.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Wooden spoons are pretty much the only way to add real talent to the list. It's not right but as it stands, thats the way AFL is. ATM there is only reward for first and last. Not to say pick 2,3 or 4 arnt good but that first pick in pre season draft is crucial.
Why is the PSD crucial? I can't remember the last time it came into play.

falka
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
andrewg wrote:Wooden spoons are pretty much the only way to add real talent to the list. It's not right but as it stands, thats the way AFL is. ATM there is only reward for first and last. Not to say pick 2,3 or 4 arnt good but that first pick in pre season draft is crucial.
Why is the PSD crucial? I can't remember the last time it came into play.
It's crucial as there is no priority pick to fast track builds anymore.
You're right it's not used like in the past but we need to use it.
If we end up with pick 3 and 23 or 1 and 19 whatever It's only 2 good players (potentially)
If we want a Treloar or Sheil you must trade for them
Free agents too old.
So let's keep early picks and get a free gun by using psd. It just has to be done!

Question . If we seriously didn't win another game (think we will) do you think there is any chance of a priority pick?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

GC may be a threat to our number 1 pick. Then again, once Gazza returns they will lift. They only need to win a few games to be higher than us.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:If we end up with pick 3 and 23 or 1 and 19 whatever It's only 2 good players (potentially)
If we want a Treloar or Sheil you must trade for them
Free agents too old.
So let's keep early picks and get a free gun by using psd. It just has to be done!
Sure, but they have to be really keen to come to us - no-one signs players who don't want to play for them, it's not the 70s.

The only reason Shiel would possibly come to us is if we offer him $800k a year to play in a side that's going to be thumped every week for at least another couple of years. But really he's got about 17 better options. He could stay at GWS and have a good chance at multiple flags, or if he wants back to Melbourne he'll find 9 clubs bidding for his services - I'm sure the Hawks and Pies will find a solid offer for him as they do with all the free agents, Melbourne and Footscray are on the way up which could be exciting, Essendon have the best "off-field support".

Why would he choose us? The only thing in our favour is the most salary cap room, but I'm sure plenty of retired players will tell him they would have given up a few hundred grand for a flag. Chances of that look pretty remote at St Kilda right now.
falka wrote:Question . If we seriously didn't win another game (think we will) do you think there is any chance of a priority pick?
I wouldn't have thought so, but I don't think anyone knows the criteria:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 6879331080

(Interesting that article has a picture promoting Goddard as a possible top three pick who could have ended up at Melbourne...)
The new rule “provides that the provision of special assistance is ultimately a matter for the Commission’s discretion and will be awarded only in exceptional circumstances.

“The decision will be based on a club’s on-field performance in recent years and any other matter the commission regards as relevant.’’
On-field performance will be terrible. If we can argue that we've been destroyed by free agency then that might help? No idea really though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Why is pick one the way to go. I hope we can finish 14th with 8 wins. See no joy in last position even if we try to justify why it is good. Maybe the recruiters think it is good but I doubt the off field think it is good. I really doubt AR thinks it is good.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't think pick one is any safer bet than pick 15 16 17 etc. Just win what we can and we should still get a good pick. From all reports the guys looking to go at one are all KPFs which I will cry if we stock up on more of. We need to get some running mids then some more and some more.

The AFL a couple of years ago said the priority pick was dead in it's old form. Teams need a few years of less than 5 wins and then only get a pick at the start of the second round from memory. It won't hurt but pick 19 isn't going to make us.

thesaint3
Club Player

WE keep picking up kids every year we are going to be on the bottom for another 6 to eight years,,,,,Need to try and pick up a sloan to fast track our development..

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I don't think pick one is any safer bet than pick 15 16 17 etc.
You know that's not true.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Pick 1 would be great but a pick in the top five should secure a gun. I think the last two drafts have been fantastic for us and we won't be in calculations for the no 1 pick by 2017

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

How many pick ones have the Demons had over the recent period? Likewise Carlton? Richmond have also had high draft picks. How many of these sides have played off in a GF recently?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Fiora or Tambling anyone?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

That would be 5, 6 or 7 with a hang over.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Some of the posters on here are acting like us finishing mid-table, or even with seven wins, is a distinct possibility - it isn't. At the beginning of the year most of us on this forum and over at BF believed we would only win a couple of games - maybe four if other sides cop monster injury lists(I still believe two because like the GC game we are always a possibility of playing a side low on numbers and out of sorts). We will finish stone motherless last.
After the results of the games played so far I don't think we will beat anybody else except maybe Melbourne at Etihad, possibly the Eagles at Etihad or Gold Coast at Etihad, but not all three; no way.
Even if we get Ross, Ray, Gilbert, and Webster back, they are not going to make the massive difference we would need to beat Brisbane in Brisbane for example, because we are getting smashed in the middle. Nick and Joey may make a difference if they come back as quickly and as fit as possible, but we may face the possibility that they will spend a lengthy term on the sidelines - especially Roo with a calf, those can be notoriously slow to return from, and training is banned until the scans are all clear.
Minchington, Hickey, and possibly Lee deserve a run if their form demands it, and if we keep losing, which we will do.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SMS
Club Player

Reiwoldt montagna back next week

We will beat Essendon.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Reiwoldt montagna back next week

We will beat Essendon.

No we wont. Sadly they will smash us. As long as we play the same positive footy as the first half yesterday I will happy.