Changes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Die Hard 7
Club Player

Changes

I think firstly Newnes has to go back to half back where he showed real promise last year.

Then:
Out: McCartin, Curren, Saad, Membrey
Consideration to be selected: Goddard, McKenzie, Acres, Minch, Eli, Hickey and if ready -(Roo, Joey, Webster, Weller)

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes

Yes, unfortunately I think Newnes doesn't have the class to play midfield. Definitely more suited to half-back

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I think midfield is our greatest are of need.
Would our best in Steven and Armitage get more than a bit part in any of the top 4 aspirants midfields.
Reckon we won't be Finals material while either of them is in our top 4 Mids.
Good soldiers both but decidedly B grade(on a good day)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Minimal changes. Saints tradition.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saintlester
Club Player

We love to rip Armo & Jack apart when they had a less than great day. They may both be no better than B+ midfielders. Dunstan is suffering from limited pre season and oppo being more aware of him. At present he's our third midfielder so heaven help the rest. Sinclair will be a star but we don't want to burn him out. Maybe a break for him. The selection of Saad as sub was to me bizarre, he is not versatile enough for the role, and IMHO should be back at Sandy. Time to look at Acres, Webster and Lee.

So I'd say

Out: Sinclair, Saad, Shenton
In: Acres, Lee, Webster

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saintlester wrote:We love to rip Armo & Jack apart when they had a less than great day. They may both be no better than B+ midfielders. Dunstan is suffering from limited pre season and oppo being more aware of him. At present he's our third midfielder so heaven help the rest. Sinclair will be a star but we don't want to burn him out. Maybe a break for him. The selection of Saad as sub was to me bizarre, he is not versatile enough for the role, and IMHO should be back at Sandy. Time to look at Acres, Webster and Lee.

So I'd say

I think we need to cool it saying 'Player A will be star'.
History tells us very few will be stars.
At the moment we are living in some dream world that 10 of our under 21s will be stars. In reality only 2 or 3 will be. 3 will be good. 3 average. and 2 simply wont make it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We have to give Minch a genuine sustained opportunity.
He is 21 and on the last year of his contract. We need to find out if he can play.
Playing Saad and Schneider week in week out is a complete waste of time going fwd.
If Minch is no good well at least we will find out.
Right now we are just learning nothing.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 25 Apr 2015 4:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We have too many small forwards and we do not have enough genuine mids, which is why we seem to be stocking up on small forwards who either cannot play as mids, or are not yet ready to take rotations there.....and with Ross injured there is really no one apart from Joey and Weller to come back in. And Weller is our defensive mid.

We really lack genuine mids on our list now. Acres may be in time, but currently looks to be more of a flanker. Ditto for Billings. Dunstan has beena great pick up for us. I realy hope that in the next two drafts that we get to use our early picks on acquiring some more genuine mids. Ditto if we land any Free Agents

Also Membrey is only a medium forward. With our smalls not being handy marks we lack targets up forward.
* Roo to come back in. But I would like to see Lee, or White, given another crack as well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintlester
Club Player

Con, you make a fair point but everything I've seen Sinclair do says quality AFL player. OK, maybe star is a stretch but he may well be. I don't think that about a lot of the others. We see them play either at AFL or at Sandy and wish them to be good. We'd make finals next year if hope matched reality. In the end a solid list wins you games consistently. Hawthorn can't be broken down because of the depth they have. Not because of the amount of stars they have. We failed to win a Grand Final because our bottom tier were'nt good enough. Get enough players up to a an acceptable level and you will find that some will become your cream.

We know it takes time but patience is a diffcult virtue.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Saintlester wrote:We love to rip Armo & Jack apart when they had a less than great day. They may both be no better than B+ midfielders. Dunstan is suffering from limited pre season and oppo being more aware of him. At present he's our third midfielder so heaven help the rest. Sinclair will be a star but we don't want to burn him out. Maybe a break for him. The selection of Saad as sub was to me bizarre, he is not versatile enough for the role, and IMHO should be back at Sandy. Time to look at Acres, Webster and Lee.

So I'd say

I thought Shenton went okay. Lee should have had a game before Paddy IMO.

bigballs
Club Player

I was surprised that we only had the one change this week, thought there should have been at least three. There will definitely be more than one change next week after today's poor second half.

Hopefully Roo and Joey will be available, so there's at least two changes. I would expect to see at least two or three more.

It will be interesting to see how Tommy Lee goes in defence tomorrow for Sandy. If he plays a good game again, I would be tempted to give him a crack in our back six next week, probably for Dempster who I thought was pretty ordinary today.

For some reason Dempster looked a bit lethargic to me, looks like he could do with a rest.

Minchington, Saunders, Acres, Webster, Hickey could be a chance to come in too.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Very disappointed with the team selection this week. Was pretty gutless. Why are they persisting with Saad week after week, just like under the previous coach? Surely Minchington would have been the better bet today. And the selectors should be rewarding those who play well at Sandringham, otherwise what incentive do they have?

longtimesaint
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Very disappointed with the team selection this week. Was pretty gutless. Why are they persisting with Saad week after week, just like under the previous coach? Surely Minchington would have been the better bet today. And the selectors should be rewarding those who play well at Sandringham, otherwise what incentive do they have?
We should give Acres a chance as he can play wing or half-forward.
Tomorrow's match in VFL is important to see who will press for a place next week

One year will be our year
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It looks like McCartin was designated to be subbed out as part of a plan. Hopefully not one the match committee will repeat

Curren was lucky to play today.

Who we have fit enough to play will determine the changes. My guess is there'll be only one or two.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:It looks like McCartin was designated to be subbed out as part of a plan. Hopefully not one the match committee will repeat

Who we have fit enough to play will determine the changes. My guess is there'll be only one or two.
Id love to see the match commitee meeting.
'Ok so I think we bring Saady on - by half time the game will be over so we can afford to have him as a passenger again'

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:It looks like McCartin was designated to be subbed out as part of a plan. Hopefully not one the match committee will repeat

'Ok so I think we bring Saady on - by half time the game will be over so we can afford to have him as a passenger again'
Give it a rest Con, you think the club has no idea and f**** every single thing up - we get it.

Why do you bother following such a s*** club? Just like BigMart, I think you deserve to follow a team of winners.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Give it a rest Con, you think the club has no idea and f**** every single thing up - we get it.

Why do you bother following such a s*** club? Just like BigMart, I think you deserve to follow a team of winners.
Yeah yeah yeah. We all know it doesnt work like that. And I judge each individual on their merits.
I just think Saad has had a charmed run at the selection table thats all.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:We have to give Minch a genuine sustained opportunity.
He is 21 and on the last year of his contract. We need to find out if he can play.
Playing Saad and Schneider week in week out is a complete waste of time going fwd.
If Minch is no good well at least we will find out.
Right now we are just learning nothing.
Spot on Con. The 3 games Schneider has played we have lost. What ever happened to "players learn more from a win blah blah". Its not even that Schneider is not the future...he's not the now. His speciality was reading the play and getting on the end of things but we can't afford to carry a player with little run or pressure and now quite sloppy disposal. HE's become a passenger.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Let make next weeks home game "Future Fest: The game". Lets play Goddard, McKenzie, Eli and Acres along with Paddy, Billings, Lonie, Sinclair, Dunstan et al. How exciting to see them all out there pulling together. It will be statement to say "This is the future - get on board!". Even if it goes a bit pear shaped so what. Doubt it would be any worse than the 70 point drubbing by Collingwood. The more the young players play together the more they bond and develop coherence.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Goddard,Webster,Acres and Minchington are a must next week, out goes Paddy, Curren, Membry and Saad

realdeal
Club Player

saintbob wrote:Goddard,Webster,Acres and Minchington are a must next week, out goes Paddy, Curren, Membry and Saad

Agree with the Outs but who plays key forward with Bruce? Your not going to play a 1st gamer in a position he hasn't been training for all pre season. Webster may need another week in the 2's.

Acres and Minch May be worth a go, likewise Hickey. I also think White needs a go in the seniors, he seems like a player that steps upto the level of competition he plays in. Paddy definitely needs a few games with Sandy instead of playing half a game in NZ. He needs game time not playing as a bloody sub.

I wouldn't mind freeing up Fisher to be more attacking in defense, maybe Goddard comes in to play chb?

It will be interesting to see what changes are made this week.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saintlester wrote:Con, you make a fair point but everything I've seen Sinclair do says quality AFL player. OK, maybe star is a stretch but he may well be. I don't think that about a lot of the others. We see them play either at AFL or at Sandy and wish them to be good. We'd make finals next year if hope matched reality. In the end a solid list wins you games consistently. Hawthorn can't be broken down because of the depth they have. Not because of the amount of stars they have. We failed to win a Grand Final because our bottom tier were'nt good enough. Get enough players up to a an acceptable level and you will find that some will become your cream.

We know it takes time but patience is a diffcult virtue.
I like Sinclair thats for sure.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Minimal changes. Saints tradition.
Stick with the formula.
Then when Saad flukes a few goals - that gets him another 12 games credits of not touching the ball.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Saady has a better chance if he goes on Masterchef.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
sax
Club Player

Out: McCartin, Saad, Curren, Membrey, Roberton (inj)
In: Riewoldt, Montagna, Weller, Lee, Goddard

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296