Some Perspective

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Some Perspective

The boys were fantastic on Saturday night. The effort and implementation of the planning put in by the coaching panel was first rate. We have every reason to be optimistic of the future. But let's look at a bit of reality here. The pressure Gold Coast put on us was abysmal. This helped us hit targets with less pressure being put on us. I'm not trying to be the party pooper here but we are going to get a lot more pressure on Friday night. The opposition will now have had a game or two to work out the positives and negatives of Bruce up forward, of Lonie and Sinclair etc.
The effort will be there, just don't expect too much.
P.S. The NZ game is very important to us.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some Perspective

Even though I won't be there, it is the NZ game I really want to win.

The whole exercise is about marketing but for that to have any chance we have to start winning. Have to give those who we've convinced to come along a chance to cheer. A chance to rise from their seats. A chance to mumble through the words of the team song after the siren.

In fact I'd be happy to sacrifice a few home wins in Melbourne if it meant winning this game.

FQF
SS Life Member

Hey Tony, we all could see the way GC played and we aren't expecting much but are entitled to hope to take it up to a struggling Collingwood. Not sure why it's necessary for a person from the club to hose down our optimism - the very thing we've been trying to build all preseason?

Love your work mate, but I'm happy for us supporters to enjoy the week, even if it's misplaced hope.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:The boys were fantastic on Saturday night. The effort and implementation of the planning put in by the coaching panel was first rate. We have every reason to be optimistic of the future. But let's look at a bit of reality here. The pressure Gold Coast put on us was abysmal. This helped us hit targets with less pressure being put on us. I'm not trying to be the party pooper here but we are going to get a lot more pressure on Friday night. The opposition will now have had a game or two to work out the positives and negatives of Bruce up forward, of Lonie and Sinclair etc.
The effort will be there, just don't expect too much.
P.S. The NZ game is very important to us.

You're saying we are tanking again. I'm pulling my membership next year until they get grip. I don't want to go to the games now. I want the coach sacked too if he's prepared to tank.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood surely wont be as pathetic as the Suns were and coming off a loss against Adelaide and with Essendon the following week they will be pretty desperate to get the win

Looks like it could be great game if we bring the same energy and intensity that said it wont be easy coming back from an interstate trip and off a 6 day break

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

FQF wrote:Hey Tony, we all could see the way GC played and we aren't expecting much but are entitled to hope to take it up to a struggling Collingwood. Not sure why it's necessary for a person from the club to hose down our optimism - the very thing we've been trying to build all preseason?

Love your work mate, but I'm happy for us supporters to enjoy the week, even if it's misplaced hope.
I don't think you read my post carefully enough. I'm certainly not trying to hose down the optimism that the club, players and supporters are feeling. Just a bit of perspective.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

look, i'm happy enough with a win every second game. win - rest - win - rest, etc.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's amazing what "adrenalin & enthusiasm" can do for a young team. Add playing on the MCG and one never knows. You must be a realist, Tony 74. I am a "supporter."

Friday night will be a very big test off 6 days rest - for the second time. If the boys can handle the pressure that will be applied in the first quarter, anything can happen.

Can they hold up again for NZ the following week - I am not so sure.

A big effort from everybody, is all we ask. Close losses are acceptable. Big losses, less so.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:look, i'm happy enough with a win every second game. win - rest - win - rest, etc.
I want effort every game and to go down fighting. If not I won't attend games if they are telling people around the club they are choosing when to put in extra effort. Pathetic. Has completely ruined my expectations of any future we were heading towards. We are losers and have a poor mentality. I will have to try to enjoy the soccer finals now. We will complain we can't attract FAs like there is a mystery to why we are unattractive.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
desertsaint wrote:look, i'm happy enough with a win every second game. win - rest - win - rest, etc.
I want effort every game and to go down fighting. If not I won't attend games if they are telling people around the club they are choosing when to put in extra effort. Pathetic. Has completely ruined my expectations of any future we were heading towards. We are losers and have a poor mentality. I will have to try to enjoy the soccer finals now. We will complain we can't attract FAs like there is a mystery to why we are unattractive.

I cant work out why you are saying these things from what was originally posted. Im not reading anything into at all apart from the Pies are a much better side than the GC at the moment so it maybe a hard game to win. We will be trying every game. I don't think I have ever seen a player not trying. Even Melbourne players were trying when they got caught tanking.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks Plugger. I think a few may have taken a different view of what I was trying to say. We will be against a much better team and as our new players are scrutinised by opposition coaches it becomes harder for them to perform. There will be no lack of effort, I can assure you. We have future sponsors always watching.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Getting a fit Schneider, Montagna, and Gilbert playing regularly would help us to guide these youngsters through, particularly with our undermanned midfield. I still don't think we'll win more than three games, so I wasn't carried away by Saturday night's performance. Just hope our youngsters have enough support around them on the field as we ride out the rough patches

FQF
SS Life Member

Are Collingwood really a much better team than Gold Coast? I reckon most tipsters would have had GC finishing the year above them on the ladder.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

FQF wrote:Are Collingwood really a much better team than Gold Coast? I reckon most tipsters would have had GC finishing the year above them on the ladder.

GC have changed their game plan enormously. Will take a while.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Are Collingwood really a much better team than Gold Coast? I reckon most tipsters would have had GC finishing the year above them on the ladder.

They would but after playing the bottom 2 sides from last year and losing I think we can say at the moment the GC are terribly.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Its the over the top expectations that can easily turn into resentful back lash. Sinclair is a rookie who has played one full game and yet everyone has him pencilled in as a superstar. Eli started red hot but has come back to the pack. There will be lots of ups and downs with our young players. When the whole team is on song, everyone looks good. The mark of a genuine AFL player is that when the game is getting away, they find ways to make an impact (win a hard ball, a tackle, bottle it up, get vocal) and start turning the momentum.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I cant work out why you are saying these things from what was originally posted. Im not reading anything into at all apart from the Pies are a much better side than the GC at the moment so it maybe a hard game to win. We will be trying every game. I don't think I have ever seen a player not trying. Even Melbourne players were trying when they got caught tanking.
I assume it's the reference by Tony74 to us really wanting to win the Carlton game. You might imply from that we are not trying as hard in other games.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I assume it's the reference by Tony74 to us really wanting to win the Carlton game. You might imply from that we are not trying as hard in other games.

I suppose but I didn't think that. Anyway players always try.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Think Tony is suggesting that we need to 'pick fights we think we can win' ! Perhaps the coaching staff dont believe we will back up and win against Collingwood, but are setting the team for a win against Carlton?

I for one would be very disappointed if that were the case! Hopefully it is just Tony's humble opinion?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Collingwood surely wont be as pathetic as the Suns were and coming off a loss against Adelaide and with Essendon the following week they will be pretty desperate to get the win

Looks like it could be great game if we bring the same energy and intensity that said it wont be easy coming back from an interstate trip and off a 6 day break
consecutive 6 day breaks (including Qld trip)

will be very tough this week.

saint4life
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Think Tony is suggesting that we need to 'pick fights we think we can win' ! Perhaps the coaching staff dont believe we will back up and win against Collingwood, but are setting the team for a win against Carlton?

I for one would be very disappointed if that were the case! Hopefully it is just Tony's humble opinion?
Yeah because coaches wouldn't have any opinion about what looks a more winnable game and what isn't so much. YOu think army generals don't pick and choose their battles carefully so they can manage the resources of their troops and win the war? Get a bit of realism instead of rose coloured "give it the old college try" naïve mentality. Our players had to fly to Queensland, play an incredibly intense game in warm conditions and fly back and recover in just 6 days. Its gunna be tough. you can't expect extraordinary intensity every game from such a young group and the oldies with tired legs as well. It takes a long time for a group to get that level of consistency.

evo
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Think Tony is suggesting that we need to 'pick fights we think we can win' ! Perhaps the coaching staff dont believe we will back up and win against Collingwood, but are setting the team for a win against Carlton?

I will be very suspicious if we have an "honourable loss'' to Collingwood then next week play out of our skins in NZ.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We should be trying our arses off while we have a reasonably fit team an are up against the beatable teams. We will still struggle for more than 6 wins or so as the kids tire. Tony has said a few thing to suggest we have decided to go for picks in other posts. He is also apparently an employee or very close to one. If we are deliberately losing games or even holding back I'm not happy.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I hope we don't forget that the game on Friday night is on free to air (i.e. full off ads) TV and is usually the main game of the weekend. We really need to show up and play as well as we can. Having said that, the heat/humidity from the Qld game will take it out of us as it did to the pies last week returning form Qld. We should be back to normal for the NZ game and hopefully beat the blues.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
#gosaintas
Club Player

Fortunately I am going to NZ and I am sick of seeing us lose there. Beating Carlscum will be a joy.