Any changes for next week?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Any changes for next week?

No changes based on that win.

BUT....

Consecutive 6 day breaks means that won't and can't happen.

Schneider and Mckenzie or Acres in (assume Monty still injured)

Two out - dunno who though
Last edited by saintspremiers on Sat 11 Apr 2015 11:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Re: Any changes for next week?

Hard to make changes without messing with the formula or dropping someone who performed. Not sure how paddy performed in seconds but could swap with membery, but membery is going apretty well as a 3rd option forward. Acres could come in but we won tonight based on speed and hustle so don't know what good swap there is for him.

citywest

There's no way they'll drop Shenton. Changes for next week...

Out
Saad - injured

In
Montagna

citywest

Griggsy wrote:Hard to make changes without messing with the formula or dropping someone who performed. Not sure how paddy performed in seconds but could swap with membery, but membery is going apretty well as a 3rd option forward. Acres could come in but we won tonight based on speed and hustle so don't know what good swap there is for him.
He kicked 4 and was one of the best on ground!!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Shenton was a different player this week. Vastly better.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Shenton was a different player this week. Vastly better.
Vastly. Best game for the club

You are garbage - Enough said
FQF
SS Life Member

Shents won't be dropped - was rock solid.

Nathan Wright has serious speed and good hands but his kicking is woeful at the moment. I assume we'll persist with him.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:No changes based on that win.

BUT....

Consecutive 6 day breaks means that won't and can't happen.

Schneider and Mckenzie or Acres in (assume Monty still injured)

Two out - Shents and dunno who else.
the reserves are coming off a six day break as well, so it's possibly less relevant this week.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintbob
SS Life Member

Schneids in for Saad, who did nothing wrong but Schneids offers more and his ball use is a lot better.

Monty may come back in at the expense of Wright.

RODOS
Club Player

Geeeze it's a tough one! A nice predicament.

Possible ins (stats may not be completely accurate, some places say one thing some another)

Schneider - Should be good
Monty - Injury dependent
Acres - Got a lot of it for sandy. Few clangers
Eli - 26 touches and 3 goals
Minch - 4 goals
Paddy - 4.3 and dished a few off
Hugh - Apparently very solid, great aerial presence
Saunders - 26 touches
Hickey - An average game according to some

Possible outs
Membrey - I thought he played a solid game but when everyone else is playing great..
Saad - (only if concussed)
Roberton - see Membrey, kicked a goal which doesn't hurt
Tom Curren - 13 touches but would have most probably been playing a defensive role, hard to say how effective he was

I think we might have a case where we have a few players that are deserved of a spot but will have to wait for an opportunity.. which is basically the opposite of last year. A nice change. I'm also a fan of giving players a three game run when the get their spot in the team. It's harder to get in and harder to get out.

I think it will be

Ins
Scheids
Monty

Out
Curren
Saad

The boys in the twos are doing well, injuries and the 1st's form will see them get their chance.

saintjake
Club Player

Wouldn't mind seeing Paddy stay in the twos and get some real confidence about him. Hopefully can string 3-4 games like today together

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I thought Membrey had a shocker all things considered, lots of delivery to him but ended up with only 0.3 to his name. I'm inclined to give him another game to make up for it but he could easily be dropped on that performance.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

someone comes in for joey if he is right
but why not give him an extra week?

saad would miss out
if joey not fit yeat and saad misses bring in acres or eli

FQF
SS Life Member

Membrey had a poor game but we don't have a like for like replacement who has his mix of tall forward and ground work ability. Happy to persist until someone bangs the door down.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
saad would miss out
In the first quarter Saad was arguably our best player. Had a very good game till he was KO-ed. I would be very surprised he was left out (except for concussion reasons).
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 12 Apr 2015 11:40am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
matrix wrote:
saad would miss out
In the first quarter Saad was argubably our best player. Had a very good game till he was KO-ed. I would be very surprised he was left out (except for concussion reasons).
He was the second most effective player on the ground using the fantasy football formula behind Bruce. He was using his pace really well and I remember one great run down on Ablett that pressured him into an ineffective kick that came back in. So many were better this week. Shenton was great, Saad etc. Even Eli had a blinder at Sandy.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:Shents won't be dropped - was rock solid.

Nathan Wright has serious speed and good hands but his kicking is woeful at the moment. I assume we'll persist with him.
Wright seemingly has a lead-foot. He runs quickly and kicks long.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Hardly saying we have an embarrassment of riches,but there will need to be some tough decisions made in the next two months.

We have Goddard,Acres,Mccartin and McKenzie all who we will want to give some exposure this year. Have Webster and Ross out injured who will be in.
Then those with experience who didn't play last night -Montagna,Schneider,Gilbert,Ray. Then there is the project forwards ,Hickey and project rucks.

Easy to say after last night's performance- things always seem brighter after a win, but we're quietly accumulating a little bit of depth ,we just need to go whack with a couple of explosive mids in the next 18 months and I am quite happy with where the next decade is headed. I think we've ticked the boxes the last 2-3 years recruiting, just need to top it off with 2 out and out gun mids now,and maybe 1-2 or two classy speedsters

Bring back the Lockett era
FQF
SS Life Member

jonesy wrote:Hardly saying we have an embarrassment of riches,but there will need to be some tough decisions made in the next two months.

We have Goddard,Acres,Mccartin and McKenzie all who we will want to give some exposure this year. Have Webster and Ross out injured who will be in.
Then those with experience who didn't play last night -Montagna,Schneider,Gilbert,Ray. Then there is the project forwards ,Hickey and project rucks.

Easy to say after last night's performance- things always seem brighter after a win, but we're quietly accumulating a little bit of depth ,we just need to go whack with a couple of explosive mids in the next 18 months and I am quite happy with where the next decade is headed. I think we've ticked the boxes the last 2-3 years recruiting, just need to top it off with 2 out and out gun mids now,and maybe 1-2 or two classy speedsters
Form and injuries will allow for a natural rotation of the squad I think. Guiding principle must be to pick a team each week that can win the game — exposure etc. is secondary to that.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

It's interesting after a good win. I read with interest after the team was picked last week, and it was almost universal that Richo had made mistakes at selection. I was o/s for out first game and didn't see any of it, so didn't comment. Not saying posters were wrong bc many backed with solid reasons as to why Saad, Shenton and Longer shouldn't have got a second chance last night.

There will be some sore boys after last night. I reckon with a young list those that are sore may need to make way every now and then when there are others available - not that I'd expect anyone to willingly hand over their spot in the team because they are sore. I'd like to see Joey back in the team asap, if for no other reason he adds a bit of class and experience to the midfield. Schneids the same. Having said that I thought that Saad was fantastic last night when on the ground. He has great sideways speed. Maybe Roberton and Curran are in a spot of danger. Wright was very good at winning the ball and I love his attack on the game. Just needs to tidy up his disposal.

falka
Club Player

FQF wrote:
jonesy wrote:Hardly saying we have an embarrassment of riches,but there will need to be some tough decisions made in the next two months.

Form and injuries will allow for a natural rotation of the squad I think. Guiding principle must be to pick a team each week that can win the game — exposure etc. is secondary to that.
Is it? It is a delicate balance
We could pick Scneider every week for example instead of Sinclair which may help us win, but what about individual development and that of the team.
The young players definitely shouldn't be gifted games either.

We need to get 50 games into McCartin, Goddard, Lonie, Bilings, McKenzie, Acres, Dunstan, Bruce, Sinclair, Webster etc asap also.

That said winning is great for development.

Saintberra
Club Player

For me, and this is taking into consideration that we're playing Collingwood and the type of players that have, Curren will hold his position in the team. Longer, Shenton, Roberton will all hold their position - I don't see Goddard coming in this week. If anything, Roberton to start as sub, while Wright will play on the flank. Penetrating long kicks will beat Collingwood.

For this reason, Monty needs to come in if ava., most likely for Saad.

I don't really rate Collingwood's back in comparison to some other teams in the comp, so would be happy to keep Membrey in the forward line, just for another big body that can outmuscle the smaller collingwood defenders. However, for that reason, Paddy might be a smokey to come in and play - for Membrey, since I didn't really rate his game against GC.

Whilst templeton had a good game, I would keep him in the 2's to let him know that unless he performs at AFL, then he will be playing in the VFL. But, Richo might be looking to give Lonie a rest this weekend, and bring in either Schneids or Templeton.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Gee, so good of you to keep Longer, Shenton and Roberton in the team Saintberra. I thought the first two played their best matches for the club while the injury-free Roberton is back to where he was in 2013.

Selectors will leave well alone with the team, only injuries will warrant a change. I don't think Saad was too bad because the game was as good as over at half-time and there was nothing to gain by risking him. If he is any better than 50/50 I reckon Saad will play as he needs more game time to build his confidence. Monty will benefit with another week off.

Saint supporter since '62
spot on
Club Player

Id be disappointed if schieder came back in, it sounded like we had soon good small forwards in templeton and minch. Would love to see macqenzie get and opportunity too. Im not sure theres a spot in the team atm for big paddy

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Membrey sustained a rib injury early he did well to finish the game! He may not come up being a 6 day break - perhaps Paddy will get his chance this week?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!