We're the Saints - 80s-90s theme song

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We're the Saints - 80s-90s theme song

Thread warning - historical nerds only

So the Plugger Brownlow thread below inspired me to ask this question...

We all remember our "We're Saints, We're Saints" theme from the late 80's-early 90's.

Another Saintsationalist uploaded a version of it here - https://soundcloud.com/loewebrow/were-t ... remastered.

However, I remember it being a little more...enlivening. With a guitar crescendo. Which (I think) is confirmed when you hear the opening seven seconds of this:

Then again, maybe I'm wrong and there was only one version. I can't say I loved it at the time - I think we all just wanted OWTS - but in hindsight, I now quite like it. And the "I wanna be there at Moorabbin" line rings truer than ever.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: We're the Saints - 80s-90s theme song

I preferred "show no mercy' from way back when choco had dreads.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
mambo2706
Club Player

There are at least two versions of this song (I have both on cassette). The version in soundcloud is NOT the original. The original is from 1986 when we were known as the Southern Saints. IMO the original is a lot better.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

mambo2706 wrote:There are at least two versions of this song (I have both on cassette). The version in soundcloud is NOT the original. The original is from 1986 when we were known as the Southern Saints. IMO the original is a lot better.
The original was used as a 'promo' to launch the 1986 season to a group of prospective sponsors. (I was at the function representing a company that was being wooed as a major sponsor)
The new President David ????? (I cannot remember his surname) spoke of turning ourselves into 'The Southern Saints' in an attempt to 'broaden our appeal' to the whole south of Melbourne.
He used Footscray and the Western Suburbs as the example.

The accompanying video had lots of vision of Paul Morwood IIRC?

mambo2706
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
mambo2706 wrote:There are at least two versions of this song (I have both on cassette). The version in soundcloud is NOT the original. The original is from 1986 when we were known as the Southern Saints. IMO the original is a lot better.
The original was used as a 'promo' to launch the 1986 season to a group of prospective sponsors. (I was at the function representing a company that was being wooed as a major sponsor)
The new President David ????? (I cannot remember his surname) spoke of turning ourselves into 'The Southern Saints' in an attempt to 'broaden our appeal' to the whole south of Melbourne.

I remember reading something similar this Mr. Magic. From memory we stuck with the name for the '86 season. I have photos of players wearing Southern Saints training tops and have some memorabilia calling us the Southern Saints. For those interested here is a Southern Saints autograph/photo book http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1986-St-Kild ... 6180834786 (I am not the seller nor do I know the seller.

The original song was one one they played over the PA at Moorabbin on match days.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

mambo2706 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

I remember reading something similar this Mr. Magic. From memory we stuck with the name for the '86 season. I have photos of players wearing Southern Saints training tops and have some memorabilia calling us the Southern Saints. For those interested here is a Southern Saints autograph/photo book http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1986-St-Kild ... 6180834786 (I am not the seller nor do I know the seller.

The original song was one one they played over the PA at Moorabbin on match days.
The President was the then CEO of McEwans Hardware Stores and the business I was associated with was a wholesaler in the hardware trade called Southern Wholesale Hardware - hence his desire to get us to sponsor the 'Southern Saints'.
We didn't go ahead with it as it was too difficult a 'sell' to our non-Victorian customers.

mambo2706
Club Player

I just listened to the soundcloud version again and I think it IS the original :oops: The quality at the start isn't great.

I was trying to find my cassettes to find the two versions but had no luck.

I found this on YouTube which I am 100% certain it is the original.

mcadam05
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Thread warning - historical nerds only

We all remember our "We're Saints, We're Saints" theme from the late 80's-early 90's.

Another Saintsationalist uploaded a version of it here - https://soundcloud.com/loewebrow/were-t ... remastered.

However, I remember it being a little more...enlivening. With a guitar crescendo. Which (I think) is confirmed when you hear the opening seven seconds of this:

Then again, maybe I'm wrong and there was only one version. I can't say I loved it at the time - I think we all just wanted OWTS - but in hindsight, I now quite like it. And the "I wanna be there at Moorabbin" line rings truer than ever.

I posted that song awhile ago

Here it is in all it's goodness

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Thread warning - historical nerds only

I posted that song awhile ago

Here it is in all it's goodness

Gee I like that song as I was there in the 80's, thanks for that. (Two thumbs up).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The opening lyrics have merit and should perhaps be reinstated. As it stands our song is the briefest in the league and could do with some expanding.

But a re-recording would need to include a full orchestra, not two guys and a synthesizer.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Agree ^^. Update it and bring it back in. I remember being a wee lil tacker at moorabbin singing it.

OWTS Is a great tune but it's a chorus but combine the 2 and it could rival the tigers song which I believe is the best in the league.

older saint
SS Life Member

I remember this from the 80's unfortunately only heard it around 2 and rarely around 5pm. Good for the crowd but not a real song you can sing in a huddle after a win with passion. To me all great theme songs have one constant a trumpet( or similar instrument)

St Lenny
Club Player

I love it, but its not a song you can belt out after a win, to slow.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:The opening lyrics have merit and should perhaps be reinstated. As it stands our song is the briefest in the league and could do with some expanding.

But a re-recording would need to include a full orchestra, not two guys and a synthesizer.
It's short, but on the plus side the Fable Singers version has both trombone and banjo solos to help it stand out from the crowd.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

mambo2706 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

I had one of those very autograph books.

And that song has no place at the club today.....apart from whatever historical worth it has.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

ugh, was only talking about how crap and cringeworthy this song was last week at a barbecue

smacks of cheap marketing and desperation, and the AFL push at the time to modernise and 80s-a-fy s*** that shouidnt be touched

Like the Eagles or Dockers songs - even when we lose, I gain some solace at how pathetic it would be to celebrate a win to such crap team songs

"We're Loyal to our Mates - cos we're the Saints" cough, ummm, someone get Brady off the lazy pills please

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

St Lenny wrote:I love it, but its not a song you can belt out after a win, to slow.
True but won't hurt before the start of the game. Esp as they run out then followed by the normal song.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

A band like Bodyjar would be able to do a fantastic rendition of this. I remember they did a cover of our club song when they once played an all-ages show at Moorabbin Town Hall. It went down a treat.
HardSaint wrote:ugh, was only talking about how crap and cringeworthy this song was last week at a barbecue

smacks of cheap marketing and desperation, and the AFL push at the time to modernise and 80s-a-fy s*** that shouidnt be touched

Like the Eagles or Dockers songs - even when we lose, I gain some solace at how pathetic it would be to celebrate a win to such crap team songs

"We're Loyal to our Mates - cos we're the Saints" cough, ummm, someone get Brady off the lazy pills please
Geelong's "Cat Attack" song was far, far worse. And then there was Sydney's putrid one in the 80s that they'd play after every goal they kicked at the SCG. It went "you're my mighty one!" or something along those lines, whilst the Swanettes did their cheer leader schtick.

There's something almost Christmassy about the keyboard part in the verse of the Southern Saints song haha.
Last edited by Sainternist on Mon 26 Jan 2015 5:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Brilliant stuff chaps - agreed it wouldnt hurt for the club to look at expanding the song! A new song similiar to the Mike Brady version could be become a fresh marketing tool!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Interestingly, the Swans have taken to playing their temporary song - "Up there for Sydney" - at 3-quarter time after the fans petitioned the club to have the song live on rather than consigned to history.

I would love to see us do something similar.

(And it also cuts through the ads for at least a minute with something footy-related)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Interestingly, the Swans have taken to playing their temporary song - "Up there for Sydney" - at 3-quarter time after the fans petitioned the club to have the song live on rather than consigned to history.

I would love to see us do something similar.

(And it also cuts through the ads for at least a minute with something footy-related)
I would like the club revive this old ditty and have it coincide with our current club song. I guess it would have been perfect if the move back to the JO happened, but nevertheless, it seems as though we need something else, with more words, to sing along to.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!