Shoenmakers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

Shoenmakers

With News hat Brian Lake has just resigned, Frawley looking for all intense and purposes a Hawk in 2015 - surely with Gibson, Suckling and the fan favourite Spangher all seemingly ahead of him, could he be a potentially good relatively cheap pickup at the trade table? He's certainly got side, age is on his size and he's played a good amount of games which would suit our needs profile. Looks to have made a successful rehab from his knee, and lets not forget BJ did a knee earlish in his career and hasn't been hindered at all.

I'd certainly be looking into it. We need KP depth, and could certainly do worse. With good recent trade history witht the Hawks, there couldn't be something in this one...

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Shoenmakers

Has been mentioned in another thread by either tony74 or Jaxons (one of the guys generally "in the know") that it was happening, for a very late pick (80-ish)

He will provide some depth down back, but i'm hoping we could find a key defender who can use the ball a bit better long term.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Yeah a very late pick and he can come but if your behind Spangher your struggling.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Saint wagga
Club Player

nice...cheers St Chris - lets hope their mail is as reliable as usual.

FQF
SS Life Member

Hate to be a pedant but this is such a widespread misuse of English that I feel compelled to point it out.

It is "for all intents and purposes" not "intense" or "intensive purposes".

On the topic, if the info re him coming for next to nothing is true then I see good value in him. We are still quite short on KPD and with Fisher and Dempster coming to the end, the loss of Gwilt and Simpkin becoming less and less likely, it is a position that we certainly need to fill. Even more so if Bruce, who was recruited as a KPD, becomes a forward.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Ha Ha - i knew it was wrong even as I typed it, don't think i'd actually ever written it in a sentance before, but it seemed appropriate at the time ;-) I will bear the correction in mind for next time!!

I agree with your 'on topic' comments too ;-)

dragit
Saintsational Legend

God I hope not.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Hate to be a pedant but this is such a widespread misuse of English that I feel compelled to point it out.

On the topic, if the info re him coming for next to nothing is true then I see good value in him. We are still quite short on KPD and with Fisher and Dempster coming to the end, the loss of Gwilt and Simpkin becoming less and less likely, it is a position that we certainly need to fill. Even more so if Bruce, who was recruited as a KPD, becomes a forward.
He does cost something though, a spot. We know this guys ability and you are right he gives us depth but surely we are better taking a punt on a Fisher type that may end up like a Sweeney than just getting more depth. We already have probably 4 upgrades in our draft picks and are likely to get at least one GWS player. That's 5 with previous AFL experience. Isnt that enough? Those types aren't going to help us up the ladder but more importantly most are unlikely to be around or get a game when we finally improve. The Sam Fisher type will and yes I know the Justin Sweeney type wont but isn't it better to try and fail than play safe and not improve the list.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 02 Oct 2014 5:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Dont rate him Dragit? He's a whipping boy for fans, but a lot of young defenders often are...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Rather Simpkin, seen enough hawks games to know he's shaky as under pressure.

old enough now to be a trait of his game.

Saint wagga
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:Hate to be a pedant but this is such a widespread misuse of English that I feel compelled to point it out.

He does cost something though, a spot. We know this guys ability and you are right he gives us depth but surely we are better taking a punt on Fisher that may end up like a Sweeney than just getting more depth. We already have probably 4 upgrades in our draft picks and are likely to get at least one GWS player. That's 5 with previous AFL experience. Isnt that enough? Those types aren't going to help us up the ladder but more importantly most are unlikely to be around or get a game when we finally improve. The Sam Fisher type will and yes I know the Justin Sweeney type wont but isn't it better to try and fail than play safe and not improve the list.
I thought he might still be young enough to come on and become a very good player for us Plugger, so for me there still is the diamond in the rough possibility with Shoenmakers. the fact he's played a couple of seasons, i don't think he's plateaued, thats my opinion and happy to be disagreed with, he is certainly a whipping boy for fans.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

I used to tease my Hawks mates about how bad this guy is. When he got dropped I predicted he'd end up at St Kilda in 2015.

Sigh.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He does cost something though, a spot. We know this guys ability and you are right he gives us depth but surely we are better taking a punt on Fisher that may end up like a Sweeney than just getting more depth. We already have probably 4 upgrades in our draft picks and are likely to get at least one GWS player. That's 5 with previous AFL experience. Isnt that enough? Those types aren't going to help us up the ladder but more importantly most are unlikely to be around or get a game when we finally improve. The Sam Fisher type will and yes I know the Justin Sweeney type wont but isn't it better to try and fail than play safe and not improve the list.
I thought he might still be young enough to come on and become a very good player for us Plugger, so for me there still is the diamond in the rough possibility with Shoenmakers. the fact he's played a couple of seasons, i don't think he's plateaued, thats my opinion and happy to be disagreed with, he is certainly a whipping boy for fans.

Well if you think that way then fair enough. He has been in the system though for 6 years so he had a lot of time to prove himself.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote: he is certainly a whipping boy for fans.
Based on his play or pony tail? The pony tail is like creating a rod for your own back :-)

loris
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Saint wagga wrote: he is certainly a whipping boy for fans.
Based on his play or pony tail? The pony tail is like creating a rod for your own back :-)
Agree........ I heard a commentator (think it was Cometti) say about Josh Bruce (when he had that stoopid hair cut & pony tail).......... well Bruce had better be a good player with a hair style like that, as he is only bringing attention to himself and if he makes errors the fans won't forget him.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:I used to tease my Hawks mates about how bad this guy is. When he got dropped I predicted he'd end up at St Kilda in 2015.

Sigh.
He actually looked pretty good when they moved him forward. He towelled us up from memory.

Then again, everyone in brown and gold towelled us up that terrible day.

Always loyal
saintjake
Club Player

If we draft him after getting rid of Gwilt I will be filthy!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

All the skills of Maxwell minus the run and leadership.
Known on Big footy as "clangermakers"
enough said!

Richter
SS Life Member

He reminds me of Raph in the way he lopes about. I wouldn't mind him for a cheap pick up or as steak knives.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:All the skills of Maxwell minus the run and leadership.
Known on Big footy as "clangermakers"
enough said!
So he's a Turnip

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
citywest

No thanks.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Trade week is the gift that keeps on giving.

We get this spud and I am loading up on us for the spoon in 2015..

What he could possibly bring to our side not even god knows.. absolute potato.

SAAD
Club Player

Schoey as a forward only. He cracks under pressure and makes poor decisions but can lead up, take a mark and kick a goal.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Would love him for a cheap pick, better than about 20 blokes currently on our list and still has upside.

Has good versitility and is a great kick (even if he is clanger prone).

I would hope that we'd pick up around 5 kids in the national draft and another player on the psd so my only concern is list space.

Having said that though the haircut might be enough to make me think twice.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saintjake wrote:If we draft him after getting rid of Gwilt I will be filthy!
But Gwilt was terrible for 3 years +

Shoenmakers would do a suitable job. Granted I have not seen too much however when I have he has been serviceable at worst.