Stick With Petracca

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Stick With Petracca

All of us are up to the wazoo in draft trade speculation. i know it's that time of year. Exciting, frustrating, crazy and maybe, just maybe the start of our climb out of the doldrums.

So with that in mind I say this. Do not relinquish pick one. Do not relinquish it under any circumstances. Do not let Petracca go to the GWS. They don't deserve him and we do.

In my mind Petracca and McCartin are the two stand outs for us. Sadly, we can only get one. I firmly believe we will get greater value from Petracca. Here's why? He is a ball magnet who kicks goals. Lots of goals. He can take a grab. He can win his own footy. He is tough, resilient and is always trying to improve his skills and endurance. To make himself a better player. That kind of attitude is what we need. That kind of attitude you can't buy. That kind of attitude wins football matches. That kind of attitude will get you a premiership. One day.

He's also a smart,likeable kid. He is also humble. If we take him he will play in round one and never be out of the team. I believe he could be another Luke Hodge. I know we've said pick one is on the table. I also know why we have said it.

I have read endless speculation about what that might mean. GWS gives us Jaksche and O'Rourke and we give them pick 1. Two for the price of one. I say don't do it. Petracca is a better midfielder, will be a better midfielder than O'Rourke will ever be. Let's stop all the nonsense and just read out his name in November.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Stick With Petracca

I think you will get your wish. The Saints are just giving the other clubs a bit of hope in case one of them wants to offer something ridiculous. This time last year people were worried we were going to trade pick 3. It was never going to happen. We've had one top ten pick in 10 years, I can't see us letting pick one go.
The only minor possibility would be if we were offered a player and a top five pick. But the player would have to be someone like Cameron and I can't see that happening.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
andrewg
Club Player

Agree
The article in the age was a fantastic endorsement. .could be as good as Daingerfield. Keep petracca...looks like a 250 gamer.

I am convinced now that this is our best option.

Unless Cameron is put on the table..apart from him or Parker Petracca is our man

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I hope we do. I like the idea of backing your self in.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

its pretty simple to me.

Unless Cameron/Boyd gets tossed in keep Petracca. From what Ive read (not seen)Im not sold on McCartin.....appears tad undersized for an AFL KPF for mine...and we simply see to many sides win games cause the midfield bats 10 deep with quality. We have to start ours now.

I do like the idea of dreaming how Cameron becomes available next year anyway...

“Yeah….nah””
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I agree 100% with Damienc. We have to keep our number 1 pick and not trade it away. All I can see in trading for the pick is that we'll get stiffed by some bastard club (as bloody always) and come out looking the chumps a decade down the track.

We have to build a future, not trade it away.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Just looking at his highlights package and he doesn't seem to be able to hit a target with no pressure on him at that grade. Not a good set shot and even some of his handballs missed. Not many highlights really. I hope I'm wrong.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
evo
Club Player

Boring...........

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Jacks Back wrote:Just looking at his highlights package and he doesn't seem to be able to hit a target with no pressure on him at that grade. Not a good set shot and even some of his handballs missed. Not many highlights really. I hope I'm wrong.
I wouldn't worry about his kicking... it's no bad enough to stop him kicking plenty of goals. 8-)

Those highlights you saw Jack are from every possession of one game(?) For the whole comp' he was the stand-out best player... it was Petracca, then daylight... and he actually finished with a very high efficiency percentage.

To add to Damien's excellent post (some really good points re attitude, work ethic, and leadership by example, that I'd hadn't thought of :oops: )... look at how Nought Power nearly upset the Dawk's applecart...

Fast, hard-running on-ballers, who kick goals whilst playing on-ball... plus... kick goals whilst resting up forward. :idea:

With absolutely no disrespect to their killer young on-ball brigade... Petracca has two extra weapons...
- he's a better contested mark.
- he brings a bit of aggression... he has real grunt. :twisted:

I want him in our round 1 2015 side. Foregoing Petracca would require one hellova' special offer!

(And after the 2015 PSD, Christian can kick a few to Jerry C also. :twisted: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
andrewg
Club Player

Read this from Emma Quale today in the age. Ggreat article giving a brief description of most players in the draft and their coaches opinion of them
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... 0pj9n.html

Then I read this about CP....I especially like his coaches take on him which is Mark Neeld. Just think we need to take this kid..he seems like a dangerfield mixed with a pendlebury. Big stat is he is 92kg....massive bodied midfielder...a must for today's footy!

Let's draft this guy number 1...give him the number one guernsey and move on.

Christian Petracca (Eastern Ranges)
Born 4.1.1996, 186cm, 92kg
AFL biography: Powerful inside midfielder/forward who is strong overhead and is a clearance star. Breaks tackles with his elite agility and tackles strongly. Vic Metro MVP and Larke Medallist of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Kicking has become a real asset. Averaged 25 disposals, 5.4 marks and five clearances on his way to winning All-Australian Under-18 honours.
Mark Neeld, Eastern Ranges: "Christian is a really bubbly personality and when people talk about footballers who want to be the best they can be, he's the perfect example of that. He asks an abundance of appropriate questions, he trains really hard, he's super competitive and I think he actually has massive upside because of his basketball background. He might be physically mature but he's really only focused on footy for the last couple of years, and as a result he has a lot of improvement still to come in every area. I think he'll be really hard to match up on an AFL level because he's very strong in one on one contests, he keeps his feet, he has an aggressive streak and he also has enough class to use the footy well. This has been his first year in midfield and he's taken all before him. It's what he wanted to do and he's really worked hard to do it. He has pace, he's aggressive and he's a very busy personality but he's under no illusion as to where his future lies and wherever he goes I think he'll make a difference next year."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... z3EzehuI6t

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Last 2 number one picks for us... A guy named Riewoldt and another named Goddard.

We seem pretty good at nailing the 1st pick

I say keep it unless u get something absurd

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

So he's got an adult body and is mature aged and will be 19 at the start of next season.

Could be a round 1 starter and play many games in 2015.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The flipside is 2008:

Get Jack Watts at No 1 when some shrewd trading might have landed Stephen Hill at 3, Daniel Rich at 7 and Jack Ziebell at 9 (although come to think of it none of those are superstars either).

stinger
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:All of us are up to the wazoo in draft trade speculation. i know it's that time of year. Exciting, frustrating, crazy and maybe, just maybe the start of our climb out of the doldrums.

So with that in mind I say this. Do not relinquish pick one. Do not relinquish it under any circumstances. Do not let Petracca go to the GWS. They don't deserve him and we do.

In my mind Petracca and McCartin are the two stand outs for us. Sadly, we can only get one. I firmly believe we will get greater value from Petracca. Here's why? He is a ball magnet who kicks goals. Lots of goals. He can take a grab. He can win his own footy. He is tough, resilient and is always trying to improve his skills and endurance. To make himself a better player. That kind of attitude is what we need. That kind of attitude you can't buy. That kind of attitude wins football matches. That kind of attitude will get you a premiership. One day.

He's also a smart,likeable kid. He is also humble. If we take him he will play in round one and never be out of the team. I believe he could be another Luke Hodge. I know we've said pick one is on the table. I also know why we have said it.

I have read endless speculation about what that might mean. GWS gives us Jaksche and O'Rourke and we give them pick 1. Two for the price of one. I say don't do it. Petracca is a better midfielder, will be a better midfielder than O'Rourke will ever be. Let's stop all the nonsense and just read out his name in November.

yep....you need that x factor.....supporters need hope....the club needs bums on seats.......petracca could be/do all of those things.....the other two are just footballers....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
rodrocket
Club Player

Ticks all the boxes. Sensible kid to boot. Can't see a suitable swap of picks.When on a good thing stick to it!(Apologies to Louey the fly)

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Unless an offer is to good to refuse we have to take Petracca. Do we really want to be like fremantle giving away hodge?

A star midfield will take you a long way

Bring back the Lockett era
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

No need to panic guys.

We'll be taking Petracca. Or we'll be getting a stupendous offer that goes way above what Pick 1 is worth, and may have another top-five pick involved.

Both are good outcomes.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote:No need to panic guys.

We'll be taking Petracca. Or we'll be getting a stupendous offer that goes way above what Pick 1 is worth, and may have another top-five pick involved.

Both are good outcomes.
Yeah have to agree there with you mate. Wouldn't be trading pick 1 unless it involves two top 5 selections.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Unless an offer is to good to refuse we have to take Petracca. Do we really want to be like fremantle giving away hodge?

Or it could be like Melbourne getting Scully or Watts. There is no guarantee either way.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
jonesy wrote:Unless an offer is to good to refuse we have to take Petracca. Do we really want to be like fremantle giving away hodge?

Or it could be like Melbourne getting Scully or Watts. There is no guarantee either way.
Okay well lets look at the math...

SInce 2000 the number 1 picks have been

Riewoldt
Hodge
Goddard
Cooney
Delidio
Murphy
Gibbs
Kruezer
Watts
Scully
Swallow

With Patton, Whitfield and Boyd over the last few years

Of that list - all of them are starting 22 players

I would say that at a pinch arguments could be made that Riewoldt, Goddard, Cooney, Murphy, Hodge, Delidio, Gibbs, Lids, Swallow - are all clear number 1s or at least very good players in their teams

Watts, Scully and Kreuzer... still starting 22 players - with the exception of Scully... the other 2 look capable at times of taking the next step

Pretty much guarantee that if deemed a clear number which which I believe that he is... Petracca will at least be a starting 22 player... if not closer to a clear top 5

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

evertonfc wrote:No need to panic guys.

Both are good outcomes.
... or..., we could go with the opinions of some (generous SS negotiators), and give him away for a bloke whom we can get in the PSD (J), plus another bloke whom has been 'euphemistically' described as 'lacking a hunger for the contest' (J'OR)...

Tough decision...?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

the right deal pops it head do it.

A little worried about petracca a highlight package containing three out of bounds on the full doesn't inspire confidence, seems good at getting the ball but a bit of a butcher with his kicks with only 68% efficiency in the championships

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Gary Lyon on triple M said we were right into Boyd. Dont you love this time of year?

You are garbage - Enough said
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:the right deal pops it head do it.

A little worried about petracca a highlight package containing three out of bounds on the full doesn't inspire confidence, seems good at getting the ball but a bit of a butcher with his kicks with only 68% efficiency in the championships
sounds like Priddis......I wouldn't touch him....

“Yeah….nah””
matrix
Saintsational Legend

heard him today on trade radio
read the stats

we have to take him
the end
full stop
done