Rod Owen Story

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Rod Owen Story

Just listening to The Couldabeen Champions on the wireless (ABC) and a bloke rings in with a story about Rod Owen.

It seems Rod was sitting in a bar at a Port Melbourne hotel having a few quiet ales. A couple of fellows recognised him and invited him down to play footy with their team.............think it was something like Port Rovers, don't know what level they are.

Rod pulled on the boots and played a game and kicked 5 goals 4 behinds!

So Rod still knows how to slot them through. This fellow said Rod would be aged about 50 now. If so, a sterling effort eh?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Rod Owen Story

He was 16 in 1983, so that would make him about 47 now. I'll never forget him kicking 5 goals in the first quarter against North at Moorabbin. Super talented. Shame injuries couldn't allow him to show his full abilities.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
loris
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:He was 16 in 1983, so that would make him about 47 now. I'll never forget him kicking 5 goals in the first quarter against North at Moorabbin. Super talented. Shame injuries couldn't allow him to show his full abilities.
The Coodabeens were saying that Tony Lockett said Rod Owen was the best person kicking for goal he had seen. That high praise coming from Plugger, who had a few skills in that area.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote:
remboy wrote:He was 16 in 1983, so that would make him about 47 now. I'll never forget him kicking 5 goals in the first quarter against North at Moorabbin. Super talented. Shame injuries couldn't allow him to show his full abilities.
The Coodabeens were saying that Tony Lockett said Rod Owen was the best person kicking for goal he had seen. That high praise coming from Plugger, who had a few skills in that area.
Plugger is still the best kick for goal I've seen. When he was on he didn't miss. If Owen was better he must have been amazing. Unfortunately didn't get to see as much of him.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saint6709
Club Player

I used to play footy with him as a kid - if not for some poor turns of fate he would've been one the leagues absolute greats

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

just yesterday I watched a game from 1987 and Rob kicked as many as Plugger as we defeated North/

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:I used to play footy with him as a kid - if not for some poor turns of fate he would've been one the leagues absolute greats
Alas, the real story is somewhat different, too bad really.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
saint6709 wrote:I used to play footy with him as a kid - if not for some poor turns of fate he would've been one the leagues absolute greats
Yes having one's dad die when about to launch a football career would not be a "poor turn of fate" would it?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
PJ
SS Life Member

Rod was a very talented player that struggled with issues. Could have been anything.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

These things are always subjective and of course can now never be proven one way or the other.

Tragically a knee did Rod's career in very prematurely. :(

So how good would he have been otherwise...? IMHO... Saint's Team of the Century good.

Easily!

( Bill Stephenson, Graham Gellie and John McIntosh are in the same boat... knees curtailed superstars before they really got going. :cry: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

He was such a good player. Remember him playing a blinder at Moorabbin against the WCE in about their first year. Very wet and muddy, but he ran around beautifully and kicked 4 or 5 if I'm not mistaken. Think I have the tape of that game somewhere.

Don't really know the details of what happened to him later on, but he was certainly an unfulfilled talent.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:These things are always subjective and of course can now never be proven one way or the other.

So how good would he have been otherwise...? IMHO... Saint's Team of the Century good.

Easily!

( Bill Stephenson, Graham Gellie and John McIntosh are in the same boat... knees curtailed superstars before they really got going. :cry: )
Surely you jest, naming Graham Gellie in the same sentence as Bill Stephenson and John McIntosh?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
Yes having one's dad die when about to launch a football career would not be a "poor turn of fate" would it?
Don't blame me for a wasted career, sounds like an excuse...

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Bernard Shakey wrote:Surely you jest, naming Graham Gellie in the same sentence as Bill Stephenson and John McIntosh?
Hi Bernard, no, not jesting at all.

As I've posted several times before, along with George Young, I'd have all three of the above in our Team of the Century.

Before doing his knee Gellie was fantastic. He'd get his 30+ possessions (when possessions actually meant something), but he was way ahead of his time... if he got a possession, you just knew that the next possession would also be to a Saint's player.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:These things are always subjective and of course can now never be proven one way or the other.

Easily!

lot more than that..... barry pascoe, jimmy gyatt and brian gleeson are just three more...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Just listening to The Couldabeen Champions on the wireless (ABC) and a bloke rings in with a story about Rod Owen.

It seems Rod was sitting in a bar at a Port Melbourne hotel having a few quiet ales. A couple of fellows recognised him and invited him down to play footy with their team.............think it was something like Port Rovers, don't know what level they are.

Rod pulled on the boots and played a game and kicked 5 goals 4 behinds!

So Rod still knows how to slot them through. This fellow said Rod would be aged about 50 now. If so, a sterling effort eh?

It was Port Colts.

Had a roller coaster ride has Rocket. His missus won tatts about ten years ago too.
A great guy. Met him one night at the Espy after Trevor Barker died and had a beer with him and he told me that he was back playing for Cheltenham. I checked the results the following Monday in the paper and he'd kicked some enormous bag of goals. My favourite all time St.Kilda player, although I have to admit Lockett is the best player I have ever seen, with Winmar a close second.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

He certainly knew how to have one hell of a bender.

oh when the
Club Player

I was in the Sinners Group in the 80's - we sponsored Rod, he always came into our room,freely talked to everyone.

damienc
Club Player

Rocket Rodney Owen. Aaah the memories. Thank you so much for posting. The Rocket was magnificent.

saint6709
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
That was certainly the main problem IMO - most of the other ones could have been avoided had that not happened

Gurgman
Club Player

When did Rod do his knee , Just wondering as I got told be an ex mate that Plugger used to live with that he actually did his knee at Greg Burns place while driving a trotter in one of their crazy weekends ,

And i thought this was a forum
Johnny Favier
Club Player

I remember Rod kicking 7 against Carlton at Princes Park back in '87...almost won the game for us off his own boot, except the dodgy timekeeper there seemed to think quarters of footy went for 37+ minutes - blew the siren immediately after Carlton goaled and we lost by a point.

He was unstoppable that day and as tough as nails, and it's a damn shame he didn't reach his full potential.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Favier wrote:I remember Rod kicking 7 against Carlton at Princes Park back in '87...almost won the game for us off his own boot, except the dodgy timekeeper there seemed to think quarters of footy went for 37+ minutes - blew the siren immediately after Carlton goaled and we lost by a point.

He was unstoppable that day and as tough as nails, and it's a damn shame he didn't reach his full potential.
Yes, that is my favourite Rocket Owen memory. A heartbreaking loss that day. We lost another by only 1 point at The House of Pain in 1989. The time keep once again took his sweet time blowing the siren. It great finally getting some revenge over the Scumbaggers. The last time he played them there we annihilated them by around 100 points.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
eel33
Club Player

My memories of Rod go back a little further than most. First came across him playing in an interschool (primary) prelim final - Cheltenham vs Bowie. We (Chelt.) were a couple of goals up for most of the final quarter, and the Bowie coach spent the entire time screaming at his players to "kick it to Rod!" A year or so later he turned up at MGS, and was always a star player throughout high school. Still remember walking past between periods as he was cleaning out his locker because the Saints wanted him to play, but the school were refusing and were going to force him to play for them. He never came back to school. Can't help but think that both parties could have managed things better. In the end, injury cruelled his career, but maybe some things could have been different with some better support and measured guidance. He was extraordinarily talented on the football field.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:...Surely you jest, naming Graham Gellie in the same sentence as Bill Stephenson and John McIntosh?
John McIntosh was a class of his own, but Graeme Gellie wasn't too far behind. In fact, I would rate him around the level of Joel Selwood. Graeme was the full package - quick, tougher than nails, skilled on both sides, especially with handball and he could take a contested mark with an excellent leap. He won the B&F in his first year in 1978 - his first year! - and there were some good players in that side. Alas, as we all know, he did his knee pre season 1979, and although there were a couple of attempted comebacks, he could no longer run. The last game he played in 1978 was against Carlton in Round 22. They were third and we were 6th (there was a final 5 then). Whilst it was still possible that we could make the finals, we needed Fitzroy to beat Geelong at Cat Park, something they was rare. However, we smashed Carlton, in probably our best win for the year, and Graeme Gellie was BOG. Not only did he have 17 kicks but he had 14 handpasses, just to illustrate the point I made above.