Something Is Going On

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Something Is Going On

For the second time in a matter of weeks, a senior member of the St Kilda brains trust has said our number one pick is on the table.

First the coach and now the Pelican. The first time it was said I thought well he would say that wouldn't he.

But to hear it again makes me think they are very serious about bartering away our chance to get the best young footballer in Australia. In other words Christian Petracca.

Ok . If that is the case, what is the end game? At least one thread here suggested GWS want to get Petracca at any cost.

According to reports, St Kilda is interested in Jaksch and o'rourke. So would the deal be we get those two players as a swap for the number one pick? Or those two players plus a high draft pick?

Make no mistake Petracca is the goods. He would make a huge difference to our team.

If we took him with our pick one, he would play in round one of season 2015 guaranteed.

I would not want to give him up without getting something mega substantial in return.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Something Is Going On

i think you will find it has been suggested for several weeks and by more than oneof the St Kilda admin

it has also been stated and restated that they would like 3 pick in first round or near to- as they did last year and as pies also did.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I'd take most of it with a grain of salt. GWS said the same thing last year even though they were always taking Boyd. This is just Pelchan's way of saying 'if you want pick one you'd better come up with something good'.
You have to remember that at this time of year the great majority of what you hear doesn't end up happening.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
damienc
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:i think you will find it has been suggested for several weeks and by more than oneof the St Kilda admin

it has also been stated and restated that they would like 3 pick in first round or near to- as they did last year and as pies also did.
Sure. But does that mean we have to give up pick one so we can have three picks in the top 20? Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me. Surely if that is what the Pelican and Richo want then there must be other ways of achieving that outcome? Like trading Joey for instance. I don't see why we have to give up pick one to get the trading result the club wants unless no club with a top 20 draft pick wants Joey.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:
saintbrat wrote:i think you will find it has been suggested for several weeks and by more than oneof the St Kilda admin

Sure. But does that mean we have to give up pick one so we can have three picks in the top 20? Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me. Surely if that is what the Pelican and Richo want then there must be other ways of achieving that outcome? Like trading Joey for instance. I don't see why we have to give up pick one to get the trading result the club wants unless no club with a top 20 draft pick wants Joey.

but many have said there was no stand out for pick one anyway- so many within top 10-15 should be worthy.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
damienc wrote:

but many have said there was no stand out for pick one anyway- so many within top 10-15 should be worthy.
petraccais a standout....believe me....
Last edited by stinger on Wed 24 Sep 2014 11:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Tell me Marvin !

In red white and black from 73
stinger
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:I'd take most of it with a grain of salt. GWS said the same thing last year even though they were always taking Boyd. This is just Pelchan's way of saying 'if you want pick one you'd better come up with something good'.
You have to remember that at this time of year the great majority of what you hear doesn't end up happening.
not so sure that the pelican or the saints are as wordly wise as sos and gws,,,,,despite the youth of their side....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sainterryan

Pelchen said on SEN this morning we will be taking the best available player, we won't be trying plug gaps. That said I think we will either stick with Pettraca or trade for an A grade midfielder

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote: petraccais a standout....believe me....
How many times have you seen him play?

We'll trade pick one, believe me (and I don't use dots to make it look like I've left something out of my post)!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
sainter#4
Club Player

The rumour that dropped tonight was Dylan Shiel + Pick 3 for Pick 1 and i think possibly our third round pick

andrewg
Club Player

sainter#4 wrote:The rumour that dropped tonight was Dylan Shiel + Pick 3 for Pick 1 and i think possibly our third round pick
Would be good

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:The rumour that dropped tonight was Dylan Shiel + Pick 3 for Pick 1 and i think possibly our third round pick

He is a pick one so that has hairs on it.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Lots of rumours doing the rounds. I am not against trading 1 for a gws gun plus a pick. If pelchen can pull that off he is doing very well

If the Cameron rumour is correct then I have a sneaky suspicion Rhys may be traded to port.

Anyhow, gives a bit of interest to the end of the season for us. Hopefully we can nab 2 guns this year, then next year offer the world to dangerfield, plus we'll have pick 1 or 2 also, that will bring some excitement back to the club

Bring back the Lockett era
matrix
Saintsational Legend

stanley at chf
cameron at ff

i could live with that 8-)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

look i hvae faith in the club having more info on every player then anyone on here to make the right choice but for me i look at the last time a pick 1 was traded and i have some worrys about it ....
when Freo traded pick one to Hawthorn they gave up a future premiership captain and out and out super star in Hodge in return they got a decent honest defender who had his decent moments and a sulking Trent Croad who at the first chance ran back to hawthorn (note they also gave pick 20(a dud) and 36 (sam mitchell) in this deal)... part of the thinking at the time was because they felt with pick 4 they could afford to trade pick one to get two legit players who were ready to go ...

history wil show that that draft was a total dog for freo as pick 4 was Polak (wouldnt say he was a dud but was not great)

i dont think we would be like freo as they basically went into that draft putting all the eggs into that pick 4 as they also traded pick 17 (that they got from us for Heath Black- that we got from the swans for Barry Hall) for Jeff Farmer who was good for freo but when you see the James Kelly went at 17 you gotta think they lost on that so after pick four their next pick was in the 50's ...

im really worried that we might be opening ourselves up for Freo like stuff up if we dont treat pick 1 smart

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Saint wagga
Club Player

There is no doubt that trading pick 1 for a pick and a player (ala Tyson and the demons) puts a lot of pressure on the player, but does it carry any more pressure than being a no.1 pick (and just wait till the comparisons with our other current no.1 pick, the skipper start being analysed), I don't think so. There will be a lot of pressure on any draft/trade decisions that we make, including last year, this year with the no.1 and probably next year as well because these decisions will have a significant impact on how quickly we rise up the ladder and challenge again...

Personally, I don't think making those 2018 or 2020 aspirational goals so public was in the clubs best interest, but I totally understand that that will be a forever mute point, but if we aren't right up amongst it by then, it'll take a mighty good spin doctor to deflect the heat...

Megamaguire
Club Player

Something Is Going On

plugger66 wrote:

Swap Petra for D.Shiel and P. Wright - ( assuming Wright goes @ #3 ).

Petra looked very strong and zippy in the limited footage that i saw on the Kevin Sheahan player highlights reel.
I always regretted us letting Judd slip through to the weagles with his injured shoulders while we sided with the rugged L.Ball who didn't keep progressing as much as Hodge and Judd did. Blasted luck!

I can't really blame the club for picking the 3rd. best option back then with the 2nd. Pick but I still wonder what if by the time R.Lyon became coach ? ? :(

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Megamaguire wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Petra looked very strong and zippy in the limited footage that i saw on the Kevin Sheahan player highlights reel.
I always regretted us letting Judd slip through to the weagles with his injured shoulders while we sided with the rugged L.Ball who didn't keep progressing as much as Hodge and Judd did. Blasted luck!

I can't really blame the club for picking the 3rd. best option back then with the 2nd. Pick but I still wonder what if by the time R.Lyon became coach ? ? :(
What im saying is GWS are not going to give us Shiel and pick 3 for pick one. Not a hope.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Megamaguire wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What im saying is GWS are not going to give us Shiel and pick 3 for pick one. Not a hope.
If they are desperate for Petracca and know they will lose Shiel anyway - I wouldn't say its never going to happen - but chances are less that 10% in my opinion.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
citywest

Forget getting GWS players. Trade pick 1 to GWS for pick 3 and 20. I'd be very happy with that. Then trade Joey for a pick 25 and Armo for a pick 15. St Kilda then go into the National Draft with picks 3, 15, 20, 25 and 38....Very nice!!!! :D

SinCitySainter
Club Player

They won't do Shiels and pick 3/4 for Pick 1. It is just too much to ask for but maybe if we threw in pick 20/21 we are getting closer.
It is all down to how highly GWS rate Petracca.
GWS are however aware that if they really want Pick 1 they will have to pay massively over the odds, so I doubt it will happen.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

No deal Citywest. If Petracca is such a standout pick one which is what he is now he has transitioned to the mids then pick 20 isnt enough compo to miss out on him.

In essence its Joey, Armo and pick 1 for 3, 15, 20 & 25.

Selling off Joey and Armo isnt the answer unless it was required to pick up a Treloar/Cameron type. Its overs, but id only trade Armo if it was something like Armo and pick 1 for Cameron, 3 and 20 - even then I'd think long and hard about it... Armo & 1 for Cameron & Shiel... ahh, thats embarrassing even to write it...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
andrewg
Club Player

citywest wrote:Forget getting GWS players. Trade pick 1 to GWS for pick 3 and 20. I'd be very happy with that. Then trade Joey for a pick 25 and Armo for a pick 15. St Kilda then go into the National Draft with picks 3, 15, 20, 25 and 38....Very nice!!!! :D
Joey not worth losing for pick 5...Armo okay for 15?

Need to be careful not to lose to many senior guys too quick though