Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

The $40 million cricket-only renovation will see the ground used as a base for Cricket Victoria and give the state a first-class cricket alternative to the MCG.

Under the AFL-cricket plan floated last year, some training facilities were to be shared by cricket and St Kilda, with the Saints to train on the adjacent Ian Johnson Oval.

The joint footy and cricket plan — costed at between $59m-$70m — faced a significant funding shortfall but was backed by the former Napthine Government and won $10 million of financial support from the AFL.
Hi Doc, to answer your question about how much more $$$ is in the JO deal for Cricket Victoria if they team-up with us...
With Saints = $59m-$70m.
Without Saints = $40m.

So Cricket Victoria is down somewhere between $19m and $30m on what could have been pumped into the JO development... because of their admin's short-sightedness.

And for what 'gain'... the ground freed-up for centre turf wicket cricket... in July... in Melbs'. :roll:

I repeat... CV's admin is not fit to run a bath, let alone an organization as important as CV.

But not to worry, the good news for BOTH parties... I don't reckon our Saintas are out-foxed yet. Keep the faith. :wink:

Now, cue a predictable response from everyone's favourite anti-visionary devil's advocate. :lol:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

It seems your "with Saints $59m - $70m" calculation is missing the "+ Napthine Govt" component Dave

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Dr Spaceman wrote:It seems your "with Saints $59m - $70m" calculation is missing the "+ Napthine Govt" component Dave Image
True, Doc.

But it does very clearly demonstrate the mutual value of organizations working together, to make joint submissions for their mutual benefit.

Now if CV's admin had the vision to run with the joint submission, I suspect that Dan the Man would be more 'inclined' to listen.

But as every good doubter of the Wright brothers would know, Rome wasn't built in a day. Nor JO. I'm keeping the faith that this time round, the fighters of the good fight have muscle and (considerable) guts on their (our) side.

This is little ill-considered 'no' is but a step on the path to 'yes'. 8-)

Keep the faith.

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7258965622

This might change things a bit.
Once Andrews got in things looked grim for the JO. It seemed Matthew Guy was the best opportunity to make that happen.
No way Andrews was going to give us a leg up.
The real villain in all of this remains one man. Archie effing Fraser.
There was never any compelling reason to leave Moorabbin in the first place.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
remboy wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7258965622

This might change things a bit.
Once Andrews got in things looked grim for the JO. It seemed Matthew Guy was the best opportunity to make that happen.
No way Andrews was going to give us a leg up.
The real villain in all of this remains one man. Archie effing Fraser.
There was never any compelling reason to leave Moorabbin in the first place.
All true I reckon Con, except point 2 is too finite IMHO.

Don't forget that the local state and federal ALP members are rabid Saintas. And certainly their local small business constituents want us there.

I must make a visit to them to rally their support, remind them of where there primary loyalties lie. :D

Besides, when Dan the Man caves in, and builds that east-west drain pipe thingee (you heard it here first), well, the $1billion in compo that the outgoing government committed us to... will no longer be an issue. So another $20 million thrown at JO would then be neither here nor there to Danny boy.

Keep on truckin' right. Keep the faith. 8-)

Our favourite naysayer and profit of gloom is either showing incredible (and unprecedented) self-restraint, or is still waiting in the queue at KFC. I'd suspect the latter. :lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
The $40 million cricket-only renovation will see the ground used as a base for Cricket Victoria and give the state a first-class cricket alternative to the MCG.

Under the AFL-cricket plan floated last year, some training facilities were to be shared by cricket and St Kilda, with the Saints to train on the adjacent Ian Johnson Oval.

The joint footy and cricket plan — costed at between $59m-$70m — faced a significant funding shortfall but was backed by the former Napthine Government and won $10 million of financial support from the AFL.
Hi Doc, to answer your question about how much more $$$ is in the JO deal for Cricket Victoria if they team-up with us...
With Saints = $59m-$70m.
Without Saints = $40m.

So Cricket Victoria is down somewhere between $19m and $30m on what could have been pumped into the JO development... because of their admin's short-sightedness.

And for what 'gain'... the ground freed-up for centre turf wicket cricket... in July... in Melbs'. :roll:

I repeat... CV's admin is not fit to run a bath, let alone an organization as important as CV.

But not to worry, the good news for BOTH parties... I don't reckon our Saintas are out-foxed yet. Keep the faith. :wink:

Now, cue a predictable response from everyone's favourite anti-visionary devil's advocate. :lol:

As the Doctor said it matters little about the 70m because it isn't on the table from Labor but lets play your game Dave. How do you know CV are down that much money. Im guessing they have seen both and are very happy with what they are getting for their 40m. Just one other thing Dave you do realise that part of that extra money was to set up our ground over the road from the JO or do you think they will just train the park with a little steal fence around it? And it isn't devils advocate, its logical. Something you continue not to be. You bring emotion and no current facts at all. And im no ones favourite unlike you who pulls at heart strings even if they are totally illogical. And of course CV will let us play practice games on their ground while they are still playing. Another illogical comment. Still haven't heard any reason why they would even let us use the ground when they aren't playing. What benefit is it to them?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

JO not looking good at all according to this report:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7258965622

"ST KILDA and the AFL have been told the door is shut on the league’s plan for a Saints training base at the historic Junction Oval.

The Herald Sun can reveal the club has had an initial discussion with the City of Kingston about the prospect of the Saints returning to their other former home base, Moorabbin

The Saints left for Seaford in 2010 after a bitter dispute with the council. However St Kilda’s social club and poker machines remain at Moorabbin.

Plans are already in place for an $11 million upgrade of Moorabbin as a community facility and home of football in Melbourne’s south-east.

The AFL and St Kilda have continued to lobby the State Government and St Kilda and Albert Park community and sporting groups in a bid win approval for a joint development with cricket at the Junction Oval.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL and St Kilda have been informed the Andrews Government will not consider the joint development option....."

karnak
Club Player

F..k, gutted.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

There must have been some glimmer of hope that JO remained a chance as the club had continued to angle in that direction. If the HS are correct then Moorabbin it is and it is not the worst 2nd choice. Isn't there a march planned for the 14th - what will happen with that?

My concern is what will become of Seaford? Will we continue to meet the lease etc payments or does the AFL & St Kilda FC have a plan to pass it onto another organisation?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Common Sense prevails.

JO was never a goer once Naptime was booted.

Get back to Moorabbin, Junction Oval was never a good option.

You are garbage - Enough said
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

How good will it be to watch a sAints VFL Side play at Moorabbin again!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Good, we can now concentrate all our efforts on Moorabbin. Anybody who feels gutted about the JO and who voted for Labor or the Green monsters has only themselves to blame. You there Dave?

linz
Club Player

We can still have a presence in St. Kilda. Why don't we open a Saints shop in Fitzroy Street or Ackland Street which sells our merchandise, memberships and other related items.
We could even sell ice-creams or coffees if we wanted. The shop could also be staffed by players on a roster basis.
That way our presence will be noted and hopefully rewarded by the local community.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:We can still have a presence in St. Kilda. Why don't we open a Saints shop in Fitzroy Street or Ackland Street which sells our merchandise, memberships and other related items.
We could even sell ice-creams or coffees if we wanted. The shop could also be staffed by players on a roster basis.
That way our presence will be noted and hopefully rewarded by the local community.
Agree linz.

Have said all along that if there are benefits to be had with linking ourselves to the trendy/funky/vibrant suburb of St Kilda, it doesn't have to rest solely on us training there.

We don't have to change a damn thing to be St Kilda. We already are St Kilda 8-)

Many ways we can increase our presence there (some of which we're already doing) and seek to gain benefits from re-establishing the links to our birthplace :wink:

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Is this the second or third time that the Herald Sun has totally written off our chances of being involved in the Junction Oval development? I'll wait until I hear from the club before giving up all hope.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Common Sense prevails.

Well Matt Finnis and Gil McClachlan disagree with you.
Both must lack common sense.

JO was always a hail mary but it was a very good option if they could have pulled it off.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

JO is the GO....C'mon guys start chanting it...c'mon Plugs...let's hear it nice and loud.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Good, we can now concentrate all our efforts on Moorabbin. Anybody who feels gutted about the JO and who voted for Labor or the Green monsters has only themselves to blame. You there Dave?
Nothing to do with the Groovy Greens, S.

I must admit though that I was concerned what their attitude might be, so I asked 'em about it. The answer was that they have no policy on the matter, and that the funding would be an executive matter... i.e. it wouldn't have to go before parliament to be voted on.

And since I didn't vote for Dan the Man... I'm innocent on this matter. :wink:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:As the Doctor said it matters little about the 70m because it isn't on the table from Labor but lets play your game Dave. How do you know CV are down that much money. Im guessing they have seen both and are very happy with what they are getting for their 40m. Just one other thing Dave you do realise that part of that extra money was to set up our ground over the road from the JO or do you think they will just train the park with a little steal fence around it? And it isn't devils advocate, its logical. Something you continue not to be. You bring emotion and no current facts at all. And im no ones favourite unlike you who pulls at heart strings even if they are totally illogical. And of course CV will let us play practice games on their ground while they are still playing. Another illogical comment. Still haven't heard any reason why they would even let us use the ground when they aren't playing. What benefit is it to them?
I don't think that extra $15-$25 million odd was going to be spent on the oval over the road, Pluggs. The lion's share would have been on bigger and better facilities as there would be more beneficiaries using them. So, a short-sighted loss to the blinkered morons running CV.

I've never written that CV would (nor should) let us play praccy matches on JO whilst they (the cricketers) were still playing in season. In fact, I went to the effort (twice) of looking up and posting the cricket season dates. Cricket finishes late March at latest (if the Vics or St K CC scoured a home final), and early March if they don't make the finals. So no problem there for CV.

One thing though... maybe I should have just spoken only for myself... you are my favourite SS devil's advocate. :D

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Is this the second or third time that the Herald Sun has totally written off our chances of being involved in the Junction Oval development? I'll wait until I hear from the club before giving up all hope.
This!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:JO is the GO....C'mon guys start chanting it...c'mon Plugs...let's hear it nice and loud.
... and this. 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:As the Doctor said it matters little about the 70m because it isn't on the table from Labor but lets play your game Dave. How do you know CV are down that much money. Im guessing they have seen both and are very happy with what they are getting for their 40m. Just one other thing Dave you do realise that part of that extra money was to set up our ground over the road from the JO or do you think they will just train the park with a little steal fence around it? And it isn't devils advocate, its logical. Something you continue not to be. You bring emotion and no current facts at all. And im no ones favourite unlike you who pulls at heart strings even if they are totally illogical. And of course CV will let us play practice games on their ground while they are still playing. Another illogical comment. Still haven't heard any reason why they would even let us use the ground when they aren't playing. What benefit is it to them?
I don't think that extra $15-$25 million odd was going to be spent on the oval over the road, Pluggs. The lion's share would have been on bigger and better facilities as there would be more beneficiaries using them. So, a short-sighted loss to the blinkered morons running CV.

I've never written that CV would (nor should) let us play praccy matches on JO whilst they (the cricketers) were still playing in season. In fact, I went to the effort (twice) of looking up and posting the cricket season dates. Cricket finishes late March at latest (if the Vics or St K CC scoured a home final), and early March if they don't make the finals. So no problem there for CV.

One thing though... maybe I should have just spoken only for myself... you are my favourite SS devil's advocate. :D

And you are again proven wrong. And how are CV short sighted. The money isn't on the table. There was no decision to make about taking one or the other. I think need to explain that because I certainly don't get it. Still haven't heard what the benefits are for CV if they let us use the ground in June.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I don't understand why the state government wouldn't want another party involved as another potential revenue source to cover cost of development and ongoing.
The AFL would have contributed significant cash and then potentially nab games and interstate games played there which is more revenue into the hat.
The AFL could quite rightly through teddy into the corner and withdrawal completely. Who gives a baboons foreskin if the season starts one week early?
It will be great to go there and watch the cricket but what's happening through winter? I like Andrews but isn't he a dirty essendon supporter?
At least this would mean Moorabbin is a definite for the VFL and one might expect to find a decent pie and coffee.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
saynta wrote:Good, we can now concentrate all our efforts on Moorabbin. Anybody who feels gutted about the JO and who voted for Labor or the Green monsters has only themselves to blame. You there Dave?
Nothing to do with the Groovy Greens, S.

I must admit though that I was concerned what their attitude might be, so I asked 'em about it. The answer was that they have no policy on the matter, and that the funding would be an executive matter... i.e. it wouldn't have to go before parliament to be voted on.

And since I didn't vote for Dan the Man... I'm innocent on this matter. :wink:
You are hardly innocent unless you voted for the party that was going to fund our return mate

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Common Sense prevails.

Oh please, can we?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q247 ... ure003.jpg

Living in the past, a little? Maybe? (Thanks for the image CALL ME SNAKE over on BigFooty. Respect.)
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 14 Mar 2015 1:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.