Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

Con Gorozidis wrote:Check out the awesome photo in this article.

http://www.grenfellrecord.com.au/story/ ... 12#slide=1
Well done for finding that Con, but it's worth noting that the same photo appears in the article by Caro that is the basis of this thread.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Dave McNamara wrote:Pre-season matches against the likes of the GWoganS... ready to roll. 8-)
Unlikely, as it would be during the cricket season. I think these games would be at the revamped Moorabbin.

My concern with the move to the Junction is what is the AFL's real aim?
If their main priority is to get the MCG when they want it, (and not helping Stkfc) then we may be getting a second class deal just to fulfill the AFLs main aim.

I just hope we don't have to schedule training sessions around the times that the facilities are being used by cricket, etc.

I'm not against the move, I just think the club has to go hard to make sure our needs are met, so we don't get another "docklands" deal.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:Pre-season matches against the likes of the GWoganS... ready to roll. 8-)
Unlikely, as it would be during the cricket season. I think these games would be at the revamped Moorabbin.

My concern with the move to the Junction is what is the AFL's real aim?
If their main priority is to get the MCG when they want it, (and not helping Stkfc) then we may be getting a second class deal just to fulfill the AFLs main aim.

I just hope we don't have to schedule training sessions around the times that the facilities are being used by cricket, etc.

I'm not against the move, I just think the club has to go hard to make sure our needs are met, so we don't get another "docklands" deal.
What power do the AFL have over the MCG?
I think one big factor is the State Govt and possibly the MCC see the best ground in the world sitting there in Feb and March empty and are thinking of all that missing $$$.

So I think the main game is to shift CV to the Junction and the Saints are just going along for the ride... Just my opinion though.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Good points.

I think that what the AFL wants is clear... the MCG freed-up (from cricket) and available for round one of the AFL season.

To get the funding proposals up to re-jig the Junction, the ground needs to be used year round. So our Club is needed to float this boat for the AFL.

Cricket doesn't work as an outdoor winter sport in Melbs. (The Sri Lankan cricket tragics at the Silverton State School oval excepted. :lol: )

So we train over the road (via under the tunnel) in summer, and move back onto the Junction Oval in winter.

The District Cricket and Sheffield Shield seasons finish in late March, earlier if neither StK CC nor Victoria make the finals. Season starts are early and late October respectively.

I'm sure an arrangement could be made whereby if either the cricket or footy tenant/s make the finals, then the 'other code tenant/s' move onto the ground slightly later to start their season. A minor inconvenience IMHO c/f the upside to be gained. (Especially re district cricket, as the start of the season is often rained out anyway. :lol: )

Fine print and teething problems to be sure..., but the on-going gains from mutual synergy would far far outweigh these IMHO.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Dave McNamara wrote:Cricket doesn't work as an outdoor winter sport in Melbs. (The Sri Lankan cricket tragics at the Silverton State School oval excepted. :lol: )

So we train over the road (via under the tunnel) in summer, and move back onto the Junction Oval in winter.

The District Cricket and Sheffield Shield seasons finish in late March, earlier if neither StK CC nor Victoria make the finals. Season starts are early and late October respectively.

I'm sure an arrangement could be made whereby if either the cricket or footy tenant/s make the finals, then the 'other code tenant/s' move onto the ground slightly later to start their season. A minor inconvenience IMHO c/f the upside to be gained. (Especially re district cricket, as the start of the season is often rained out anyway. :lol: )
My concern is re the "elite training facility including pool and gym to be developed for St.Kilda Football Club and Cricket Victoria". There is only one of those, and as both sports are fully professional I would've thought it will be needed year round by both sports. I'd like to think a gentlemans agreement would work, but it could also go horribly wrong.

I just like the idea of having our own training facilities that are exclusive, which is what we currently have. That way there's no problem. Not sure how this would eventuate though, and would need a change in the current plan as outlined in The Age.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote: My concern is re the "elite training facility including pool and gym to be developed for St.Kilda Football Club and Cricket Victoria". There is only one of those, and as both sports are fully professional I would've thought it will be needed year round by both sports. I'd like to think a gentlemans agreement would work, but it could also go horribly wrong.

I just like the idea of having our own training facilities that are exclusive, which is what we currently have. That way there's no problem. Not sure how this would eventuate though, and would need a change in the current plan as outlined in The Age.
Wouldnt worry too much. The cricketers will hit the gym hard for a few weeks in October to keep up appearances that they are elite athletes and then wont set foot back in the gym for another 11 months So should be ours Nov-Sept. :D :D

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Check out the awesome photo in this article.

http://www.grenfellrecord.com.au/story/ ... 12#slide=1
Nice defensive set up in that photo.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

"The project would see the creation of the Victorian Cricket and Community Centre, a purpose-built facility that would consolidate CV's administration, development and training functions into a single location.
As well as state-of-the-art gym, nets and training facilities, the development would also house the National Centre for Diversity through Cricket, which has been designed to promote social inclusion and harmony in the community through cricket."

Will there be any room left for us?

and.....

"there is still a long way to go to work through the numerous issues that remain to determine if the football/cricket codevelopment model is viable."

"the funding gap is somewhere between $29 to $44 million, not $15 million as reported yesterday."

"The previous version, based on a cricket centre with a number of community facilities, was designed in extensive consultation with Parks Victoria and local stakeholders and enjoyed wide support.
We understand that ongoing support cannot be assumed, given the significant variations outlined by the AFL yesterday, and should be subject to further consultation."

From the CA website http://www.cricket.com.au/news-list/201 ... crossroads

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Good. I hope this is not happening for us due to the funding but then diverts to Moorabbin which is what we really want as a club to develop.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

A couple of things on this topic. Firstly Caro said we arent goung back to the JO surely. Arent we going to parkland over the road from the JO. As I have said since we moved to seaford I dont think it matters at all where you train. If the facilities are better at this new place then go for it. If they even slightly worse then dont go for it.

Now some simple questions for those thrilled with the move.
Why would players now want to come to our club? How does it really matter where we train?
Why will we get more sponsors?
Or more supporters?
Why does it matter at all where we train.

As I said happy to move but only if its a better place for the players.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:A couple of things on this topic. Firstly Caro said we arent goung back to the JO surely. Arent we going to parkland over the road from the JO. As I have said since we moved to seaford I dont think it matters at all where you train. If the facilities are better at this new place then go for it. If they even slightly worse then dont go for it.

Why would players now want to come to our club? How does it really matter where we train?
Or more supporters?

ok my slant
Why would players now want to come to our club? How does it really matter where we train?well it doesn't really except that if a heap of govt money is poured into this venture then the training facilities may be better and probably easier for players to get to.
Why will we get more sponsors?JO has a better profile, more recognizable, close to the CBD high volume of traffic passes by everyday...(can someone remind me where Seaford is?)
Or more supporters?Not sure what we can do to get more supporters other than winning more games but having said that referring back the point that it is more central and higher profile may entice more.

Legendary
Club Player

mullet wrote:Interesting that Caro says it is the brainchild of Gil.

I know that a certain Saints supporter has been working on this for a long long time. Perhaps he wants to stay in the background
as he so often does.

You are passing another junction oval
Correct.

I wouldn't worry about the funding gap. Already taken care of.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:A couple of things on this topic. Firstly Caro said we arent goung back to the JO surely. Arent we going to parkland over the road from the JO. As I have said since we moved to seaford I dont think it matters at all where you train. If the facilities are better at this new place then go for it. If they even slightly worse then dont go for it.

Or more supporters?

ok my slant
Why would players now want to come to our club? How does it really matter where we train?well it doesn't really except that if a heap of govt money is poured into this venture then the training facilities may be better and probably easier for players to get to.
Why will we get more sponsors?JO has a better profile, more recognizable, close to the CBD high volume of traffic passes by everyday...(can someone remind me where Seaford is?)
Or more supporters?Not sure what we can do to get more supporters other than winning more games but having said that referring back the point that it is more central and higher profile may entice more.

Still got get the sponsors thing at all. Yep we are close to the city but we are training in a park. It isnt the JO. Who are the ground sponsors at the pies? No one would know. Our ground will probably just still be called Linen house oval. Like I said if the facilties are better than why wouldnt you go but it isnt going to get better players IMO. You will get better players by winning games and paying more money that the club we are trying to get them from.

Legendary
Club Player

Ask most people in Melbourne what the "Lexus Centre" was and what the "Westpac Centre" is and they will answer you correctly.

It is one of Melbourne's most high-profile sites and it attracts $2m a year for the naming rights.

We will do a deal in conjunction with Cricket Victoria (and split the profits 50/50) and get some big bucks for naming the entire precinct. Signage, flags, logos etc.

The site will have the same profile as Collingwood's, because of the presence of both the Saints and CV.

So it's already worth $1m a year more than Seaford.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Ask most people in Melbourne what the "Lexus Centre" was and what the "Westpac Centre" is and they will answer you correctly.

It is one of Melbourne's most high-profile sites and it attracts $2m a year for the naming rights.

We will do a deal in conjunction with Cricket Victoria (and split the profits 50/50) and get some big bucks for naming the entire precinct. Signage, flags, logos etc.

The site will have the same profile as Collingwood's, because of the presence of both the Saints and CV.

So it's already worth $1m a year more than Seaford.

Yes everyone knows the centre but that is right on Swan street. This is in a park. You are guessing the figures especially since the ground and deals isnt even close yet. I hope you are right but this isnt going to help us climb up the ladder. Better players is how the club will make money.

Legendary
Club Player

You're correct - it's right on Swan Street.

But this is right on Fitzroy Street, Queen's Way and Lakeside Drive. Very easy to get some signs along Queens Way and Fitzroy Street.

This article quotes figures of $1.6 - $2m a year for naming at the Lexus/Westpac Centre:
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/sports/2010/ ... incidence/

So I'm not making up figures. If we do a joint naming rights agreement with Cricket Victoria, it will absolutely be worth $2m for the new facility. Could even be more.

This article quotes figures of $5m for the Blues and $2m a year for the Dockers at their new facility:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport ... r-dockers/

So now that we are instantly going to generate $1m+ a year more revenue from being located @ the Linfox Centre (whoops), does anyone have any other objections?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:You're correct - it's right on Swan Street.

But this is right on Fitzroy Street, Queen's Way and Lakeside Drive. Very easy to get some signs along Queens Way and Fitzroy Street.

This article quotes figures of $1.6 - $2m a year for naming at the Lexus/Westpac Centre:

So I'm not making up figures. If we do a joint naming rights agreement with Cricket Victoria, it will absolutely be worth $2m for the new facility. Could even be more.

This article quotes figures of $5m for the Blues and $2m a year for the Dockers at their new facility:

So now that we are instantly going to generate $1m+ a year more revenue from being located @ the Linfox Centre (whoops), does anyone have any other objections?

Thats an if and I hope you are right. The main thing that must happen for us to move is the facilities are better. Money is nice but we must keep up with all the other sides and try and get ahead of some of them. I dont have an objections about the move at all. As long as people realise it isnt the JO and there will never be any AFL games played there.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

My thoughts as well Legendary..you explained it a bit better than me.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Thats an if and I hope you are right. The main thing that must happen for us to move is the facilities are better. Money is nice but we must keep up with all the other sides and try and get ahead of some of them. I dont have an objections about the move at all. As long as people realise it isnt the JO and there will never be any AFL games played there.
It will be known as the JO and there are no AFL games at Lexus.

Legendary
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Agree - must ensure facilities are better. Absolutely no compromise.

Also agree with you that there won't ever be AFL games played there.

If the AFL were ever going to revive an inner-city Melbourne venue, they would use Princes Park. Half the cost as most of the infrastructure is already there.

Ballarat will be the next AFL stadium in Victoria - Vic clubs will end up hosting games there against interstate sides.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It will be known as the JO and there are no AFL games at Lexus.

Why would it be called the JO? Its a park opposite the JO and I know there are no games at the Lexus centre. No idea what that means though.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Why would it be called the JO? Its a park opposite the JO and I know there are no games at the Lexus centre. No idea what that means though.
C'mon Plug...you would be naive to think it wouldn't be called the JO even though we may train across the road and we are talking about a training facility and you mentioned no AFL games would be played there...?? I pointed out that no AFL games are played at another major training facility...can't believe I had to explain that

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
C'mon Plug...you would be naive to think it wouldn't be called the JO even though we may train across the road and we are talking about a training facility and you mentioned no AFL games would be played there...?? I pointed out that no AFL games are played at another major training facility...can't believe I had to explain that

Yes and I said that because there are still a few who live in this fantasy of footy being played at the JO. Dont anyone have suggest AFL footy would be played at the Lexus centre. I think people will say we train in St Kilda or who ever is the main sponsor of the ground. Certainly the sponsor will be hoping that. I doubt people will say the JO but we may well find out in about 3 or 4 years.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

all good
everyone can call it the junction except you pluggs
yeah sure its across the road or whatever
but for christ sake its as close to getting home as we will prob get so everyone will call it the J.O

nothing wrong with that imo

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Agree - must ensure facilities are better. Absolutely no compromise.

Also agree with you that there won't ever be AFL games played there.

If the AFL were ever going to revive an inner-city Melbourne venue, they would use Princes Park. Half the cost as most of the infrastructure is already there.

Ballarat will be the next AFL stadium in Victoria - Vic clubs will end up hosting games there against interstate sides.
I think it should be called FoxPark.
Sounds better lol!

Does this effect the Saints ressies team and where we will play, or is Moorabbin still on the agenda?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.