Josh Bruce

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Josh Bruce

Out last night, couldn't watch the game live, afl app at the ready to deliver the increasingly depressing news. Read all the articles today (and all the SS threads), put the replay on tonight, prepared to watch us be awful.

We weren't awful. Yes, some depressing skill errors in slippery conditions, but not awful. Not like a few weeks ago. We didn't give up.

If we'd won, I suspect there would have been a thread for Josh Bruce. Because to my mind he played his best ever game for us by far.

Clunked the marks, threaded some goals and, most importantly, tackled hard and shepherded.

So here's cheers to one of our SS sponsored players.

May there be many more.

Always loyal
sasaint
Club Player

Re: Josh Bruce

+1

Patience young grasshopper
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

+2. 8-)

Yes, took some strong marks (and in slippery conditions too :idea: ), including marks close to goal.

I also noticed that on a few occasions he managed to get himself a mismatch in height against his Sons of Beaches opponent... keep that up Josh, and not only will you kick many more goals, but the opposition's defence will be forced to pay you more respect... rather than heading-off to double/triple team Roo or Rhys (or Jeremey? :mrgreen: ).

For us that's win:win.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He plays like his personality.

Alive.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Great thread. Nice to see some positivity from posters.

Should be more of it.

Bruce was excellent.

Move over Tommy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
FQF
SS Life Member

Frankly it is surprising that it has taken this long to commend him.

He played a great, hard fought game both offensively and defensively, and if we can get that sort of return out of our third tall then we are a long way to fixing our forward structure.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I liked his game, but I'm just wondering where we are heading if Bruce is a forward…

Lee & White will never be defenders, maybe we should try to trade one out?

We're still desperately thin for young tall defenders IMO, with all of Dempster, Fisher, Gwilt & Gilbert all finishing up soon.

Hopefully we are circling more GWS KP players that are craving opportunity.

SMS
Club Player

Josh was excellent. Even better news Spencer White BOG for the winning Sandy team.

Saw the game we are young, inexperienced and have no chemistry as a team (to be expected) ... but we have heart and there is excitement in them for the future. I believe we are going in the right direction. Something is brewing. Will take years but something is brewing. We are not melbourne or richmond.

SMS
Club Player

White, Bruce are KPP forwards
Stanley?? I just dont know about that guy. Again he was good and bad. When he takes the game he smashes it but often than not whimps out doesnt do the hard things.

We need full backs, centre half backs and a full forward.
Newnes is a gun and savage has gone from worst pick to best pick in the space of 5 weeks.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:I liked his game, but I'm just wondering where we are heading if Bruce is a forward…

We're still desperately thin for young tall defenders IMO, with all of Dempster, Fisher, Gwilt & Gilbert all finishing up soon.

What I like about Bruce is his potential to play forward and back. Could be a genuine swingman, which will help us plug gaps depending on the fitness and experience of others during this god-awful rebuilding phase.

I am still very hopeful that White will make it up forward, less confident about Lee, but we've extended his contract and I wonder what sort of value he would have given the dodgy shoulders. A big kid like Acres might fill that rebounding defender role, and we've got Jimmy Webster to come back. But I agree we need another Very Big Defender. Or two.

Always loyal
FQF
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:I liked his game, but I'm just wondering where we are heading if Bruce is a forward…

I hope Gilbert isn't finishing up soon - he is only 27.

Not sure we are that short on defenders with Gilbert, Roberton, Webster, Geary, Wright, Delaney and even Simpkin who are all young. I think if we draft one more 195cm+ key position defender then we will be fine.

In fact, I think defence (and ruck) are the most covered positions. Mids and forwards require much more urgent attention.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:

Not sure we are that short on defenders with Gilbert, Roberton, Webster, Geary, Wright, Delaney and even Simpkin who are all young. I think if we draft one more 195cm+ key position defender then we will be fine.

In fact, I think defence (and ruck) are the most covered positions. Mids and forwards require much more urgent attention.
Gilbert is 28 this month, chronically injured and not really a key defender, nor are Roberton, Webster, Geary & Wright. Simpkin is a full back but just too small for AFL Full Forwards, but worth keeping as a back up IMO.

FQF
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
FQF wrote:

Gilbert is 28 this month, chronically injured and not really a key defender, nor are Roberton, Webster, Geary & Wright. Simpkin is a full back but just too small for AFL Full Forwards, but worth keeping as a back up IMO.
Gilbert isn't a pure key defender but he is actually a perfect match up for guys like Cameron, Darling and that mould.

I don't think a club actually needs more than 2 pure key defenders in the side and we already have one in Delaney. Yes, that might come up a bit short against Sydney but we can't match them so it isn't worth trying.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote: I don't think a club actually needs more than 2 pure key defenders in the side and we already have one in Delaney. Yes, that might come up a bit short against Sydney but we can't match them so it isn't worth trying.
What about injuries though?

FQF
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
FQF wrote: I don't think a club actually needs more than 2 pure key defenders in the side and we already have one in Delaney. Yes, that might come up a bit short against Sydney but we can't match them so it isn't worth trying.
What about injuries though?
Yeh you're right, depth is important and we should strive to have it in all areas. That's also the beauty of having a good swingman like Bruce who can be shifted if necessary. But in terms of our first 22, I think we're only lacking one KPD.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Its been mentioned already and I agree 100% - I think Bruce's opportunity up forward has come about through injury and form through a host of our other forward options. His good form has allowed him to play more senior games and contribute in a very positive way up forward. This is great for our list as he continues to develop and be able to play at both ends...Hopefully he can be a very good swingman in the mould of Lachie Handerson who i rate a lot. Its a good thing for our list and it's great to see him doing well, as he seems to be a popular member of the playing group!