Longer and Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Longer and Hickey

It appears and for good reason they cant play in the same side togther. Its a dilimma the club will have to work out because they are both to good to just ply one in the seconds as back up in case of injury. Also if one does play mainly seconds then their market value will decrease. Im unsure what the answer is but I dont think both could possibly be at our club for the start of the 2016 season.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Longer and Hickey

Yes both are good enough to be the No 1 ruck, and both will only get better and better. Meanwhile Stanley is growing as a forward/ruck making the use of two pure ruckman in the one team less likely.

Future could well be decided by whichever club is keenest to over a trade that we cannot say no to.

That we have the young Pierce developing in the wings, only deepens the possibility that one may ultimately goo.

Early days yet, Longer looks at present to be the better tap ruckman and Hickey better around the ground and below his knees etc (ie once the ball hits the ground Hickey gets more involved).

It is a very good problem to have.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 20 Jul 2014 1:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Draft Peter Wright and trade out one ruckman for a good pick and get another young gun. Rucks and forwards fixed.

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Draft Peter Wright and trade out one ruckman for a good pick and get another young gun. Rucks and forwards fixed.
I would much rather either a McCartin or a Petracca than a Wright. Stanly is filling the niche that Wright would slot into.

Players of Petracca's type we desperately lack.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think the answer is if one, or both, develops as a part time forward option. I saw a bit of Billy in the U/18's and he was an excellent overhead mark, which I think was a factor in him being drafted by Brisbane, as early as he was. He often played forward with good effect, but he seems to have lost that ability for the time being. Billy's hardly taken a contested or overhead mark in his ten to eleven games so far for us.

I see Hickey as our number one going forward and I think he will become a genuine gun. With Rhys showing plenty of good signs and the talk that we will pursue another tall forward, it tightens things up in the race for spots in the team. As you said, P66, and you're provably right, there isn't room for both in the side at once. Throw in the fact that Lewis Pierce is developing as well and has enormous potential as a forward/ruck man, we gave a dilemma, albeit a good one. I think we will keep Billy around for a while, as the threat of injury and depth issues are ever present. He may end up as trade bait around 2016/7.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saint6709
Club Player

Don't forget J Holmes - I would not be blown away by surprise if both Longer and hickey traded before 2017 season and pierce/Holmes becomes our ruck combo

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

This year has shown that young players get injured and injured heaps.

Therefore it would not be a stretch to suggest that Hickey and Longer could be injured at times in 2015/2016.

The big 'problem' is Stanley. He played the perfect game for a ruck-forward yesterday and with this form, is a fantastic chop out for the first ruck.

One of the rucks will surely be trade bait in a couple of seasons after development. This works fantastically well as we can look to trade to fix a problem on the list with young player too.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:Don't forget J Holmes - I would not be blown away by surprise if both Longer and hickey traded before 2017 season and pierce/Holmes becomes our ruck combo

I would be shocked not surprised.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saint6709 wrote:Don't forget J Holmes - I would not be blown away by surprise if both Longer and hickey traded before 2017 season and pierce/Holmes becomes our ruck combo

I would be shocked not surprised.
And CJ might win the brownlow.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saint wagga
Club Player

Disagree a bit with you plugger...I think it's too early to call how our tall stocks will look in 18 months...I'm a pretty big fan of both ruckman so far, with Hickey when fit looking the more likely to go forward and kick goals as a resting ruck, but both look to have 'potential' in that area...given Longers games tally will only be around the 35-40 mark by the end of next season at best and hickey projecting to around the 50 mark, I think either or both could develop into stong forward targets and work in the same team...I think with Pierce and Holmes in the VFL it is inevitable they won't all make it and remain on the list at the end of 2015...but I think it will highly depend on who comes knocking and offering as opposed to us shopping these talented players about...with Roo gone and any potential KP forward drafted going to take time to develop I think Longer and Hickey can coexist...weather they are both in the best 22 in our next big tilt is another question that probably couldn't be answered with any confidence at present...

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's a good position to be in right now - two good developing ruckmen. Let's just see how they go next year, as injuries will inevitable occur.

As others have said, game time well develop both players a lot further and we could eventually trade one for a required player. Unfortunately, not much loyalty in footy anymore.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Stanley forward only....

Keep Both...... can play both once they develop more... Hickley has already shown he can mark up forward and kick goals.. Longer in time could drift down back and forward.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
1433davids
Club Player

I love the Problem of too many ruckmen to early to tell who is the better and come on guys the are both not up to scratch yet . I think both will be great ruckman . Stanley should not play in the ruck when Reiwolt retires I think he will be used else where. In short keep both longer & Hickey if they turn into good ruckmen the saints could get a fortune for one of them

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

One of the two will adapt to play another position as well. I have no doubt they can both play in the same side with Stanley.
When Gwilt and or fisher are gone Bruce will play back and resting rotating ruck men up forward will work.
It's Richos problem and as thy develop he will find the answer.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Well, it seems as though we have an embarrassment of riches after one really good win. Guys, you need two very good ruckmen to win a Flag (or two). We still have our forward line to sort out as well. Both Hickey and Longer to stay; draft a KFF this year and CHF next year. Bruce looks like he will durable enough to play both ends which is a bonus. Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:It appears and for good reason they cant play in the same side togther. Its a dilimma the club will have to work out because they are both to good to just ply one in the seconds as back up in case of injury. Also if one does play mainly seconds then their market value will decrease. Im unsure what the answer is but I dont think both could possibly be at our club for the start of the 2016 season.
This is completely disingenuous. Sorry, but this is claptrap.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Neither will make a half decent forward IMO. They are both pure ruckman. I would trade one, probably Hickey at this early stage. He may get us another McEvoy deal in two years and by that time Pierce will be decent backup to Longer and we should have another developing ruckman learning his craft at Sandy.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I believe that at the end of the 2015 season the AFL will dump the sub rule and reduce the rotations to 80 or at the most 100. If this happens could you play a second ruckman off the bench?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Well, it seems as though we have an embarrassment of riches after one really good win. Guys, you need two very good ruckmen to win a Flag (or two). We still have our forward line to sort out as well. Both Hickey and Longer to stay; draft a KFF this year and CHF next year. Bruce looks like he will durable enough to play both ends which is a bonus. Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

That isnt true at all. There is no way both will play in the same side. neither are good enough overhead. As I said one will lose value if the y play in the seconds.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:It appears and for good reason they cant play in the same side togther. Its a dilimma the club will have to work out because they are both to good to just ply one in the seconds as back up in case of injury. Also if one does play mainly seconds then their market value will decrease. Im unsure what the answer is but I dont think both could possibly be at our club for the start of the 2016 season.
This is completely disingenuous. Sorry, but this is claptrap.

Thanks for your reasons. You have turned me completely.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't think you are qualified to judge that. Longer may not be so great around the ground, but he is only 20. Hickey is good overhead, and he is good at ground level too. Longer is a very good tap ruckman given his inexperience. I think your post is pure sophistry.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:I don't think you are qualified to judge that. Longer may not be so great around the ground, but he is only 20. Hickey is good overhead, and he is good at ground level too. Longer is a very good tap ruckman given his inexperience. I think your post is pure sophistry.

Sorry I didnt realise you were qualifield to say what you said. By the way how many times have they played together? Silly no reasons.

#gosaintas
Club Player

A good problem as all have said and we will have to wait and see whether they can learn to have more impact in the forward line. If not then at least one of them will have to go. Ruckmen need to do more than contest taps and lumber.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I wouldn't play both in the same team either, not unless one can somehow become a decent forward target. How would hickey go if he beefed up and sat in the forward line and came in when longer needs a break from tap work.
Wouldn't be my first option as Stanley can do that, yet is a possibility.

Can't decide between the two which to trade as both are so young. Can't afford to play at sandy week in week out for a player worth a 1st round pick

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Ruckmen take far too long to develop for any of us to know what sort of players they will be at this level
How old was Minson last year when he went from Dud to AA?
Even if they can't play in the same side (I think they can) it won't hurt keeping them both for three more years to see which ones the best.