Petracca Vs McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jarrydo7

Petracca Vs McCartin

Petracca Vs McCartin

Hi Everyone,

Ive recently read a number of articles mentioning that McCartin is almost a sure thing for the Saints No. 1 pick, I'm not convinced. In the light of Christian Petracca's 32 disposal, 5 goal game on the weekend perhaps the saints should aim for him and fill the fwd line void in some other way (perhaps buying a Boyd or Patton etc).

Im interested in everyones thoughts/insights?

Jarryd

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Petracca Vs McCartin

McCartin kicked 7.4 and took 10 marks on the weekend.

spot on
Club Player

I think we must play spencer the remainder or the year to find out a bit more if the key forward is such a desperate need, cos I think the midfield is pretty ordinary as well

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Petracca for me. Mids mids mids then to be sure more mids.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
dsav
Club Player

It's well publicised that McCartin has a diabetic issue - does anyone know if that has future implications for injury management (and recovery time) etc?
That would concern me a little.
Is there anyone else playing AFL currently managing a similar issue?

Dave.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dsav wrote:It's well publicised that McCartin has a diabetic issue - does anyone know if that has future implications for injury management (and recovery time) etc?
That would concern me a little.
Is there anyone else playing AFL currently managing a similar issue?

Dave.

Jamie Cripps and I think one or two others. Wont make any difference as he has managed it for many years. least of his problems if that is the biggest.
Last edited by plugger66 on Mon 14 Jul 2014 6:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

I like the sound of Petracca,but have been a big fan of mccartin and he would have a year to be mentored by Roo ,very professional lad re his diabetic issues apparently!

PADDLEPOP1000
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

If the pelican can't get us both he has failed and should be sacked.

Nah in all seriousness if the afl don't give us a priority pickat #2 then all this tanking we've been doing has gone to waste!

#1 Ryder fan
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

we are nevergoingto get apriority pick at #2 .... if we were to get one it would be at the end of the first round not directly after our first pick

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would only take Patraca with No.1 if we were to go after Reece McKenzie with our 2nd or 3rd pick. He kicked 10 the weekend before this.

oldie60
Club Player

It would be wise to see where Spencer is at so they could make a decision do we go strong forward or do we go strong mid. If Spence can show something we may have a good dual pronged forward set up for years to come ala Swans ( if we take McCartin). Petracca would be great to bolster the mids. I think its a tough call as we are obviously looking over the next two drafts rather than just one. As far as the diabetes thing McCartin, Dale Weightman from Richmond managed it and had a successful career when medicos were'nt as advanced so i'm sure it would'nt be an issue.Mr Pelchen has his work cut out over the next couple of years.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Petracca gets my vote!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Petracca gets my vote!

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Petracca gets my vote!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

So that's 3 votes for Petracca then

ChelseaGuy
Club Player

No use of having a marking forward if we can't deliver the ball to him. Mids first IMHO

dsav
Club Player

Thanks for the diabetes info guys - seems it doesn't warrant consideration (and I learnt something).
I haven't seen Petracca play live this year, but watched him as an under-age last year - seems to have continued to develop strongly from all reports.
Petracca for me...

Dave.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I have no idea… just get the good one.

The inside mid is the safest top 10 pick apparently, but I guess the upside of a superstar key forward is massive if they get there.

dsav
Club Player

dragit wrote:I have no idea… just get the good one.

The inside mid is the safest top 10 pick apparently, but I guess the upside of a superstar key forward is massive if they get there.
I'm glad the decision isn't mine!
So many downstream consequences - and a lot out of the control of the selection panel once a decision has been made.

Dave.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I like both but we'd be negligent not to take McCartin. Paddy had a down champs whereas Petracca dominated. But looking at the bigger picture, there are some very good qualities McCartin possesses that will make him a quality AFL forward. He plays in a tougher spot as well as a tougher position for teams to fill. Petracca will have the more immediate impact but that should have little bearing on selecting Paddy seeing as we are a while away from competing again. I get that Paddy is not seen in the same light as recent tall forwards but saying that Petracca is no way the talent of recent draftees such as O'Meara, Whitfield and Brad Crouch. If we had to choose between one of those and Paddy I would go the midfielder but we aren't. Paddy for me.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I really rate Petracca but it's up to the guys who do the analysis to decide not me. Petracca looks a gun.

older saint
SS Life Member

Aside from jack Watts there are not many early draft picks of key forwards that don't work out - Roughhead, Franklin, the multiple boys from GC and GWS , Kennedy, , however there is many many 2nd 3rd and 4 th round tall forwards that don't make it. That said i think you must go with McCartin, there are many mids that turn out very good in 2nd and 3rd round picks, plus we will have a top 3 pick in 2015 which we can use on a mid. given mids take 2-3 years to really hit straps and bigs a bit longer the timing all works well together.

lloyd21
Club Player

Love Petracca but think they will go McCartin providing his tests come thru during draft camp.

They will try and engineer trade to get Petracca but don't have currency unfortunately , but just keep thinking Johnno Brown
Geelong Falcon type 194 cms in AFL , aggressive forward they don't come along too often fantastic attitude .

PJ
SS Life Member

Currently we have Armo, Ross, Dunstan, Weller, Curran and the maestro in the middle - I'd be happy for us to look at fast outside mids with some picks around 20 to 40 and use #1 on Paddy.

but hey if we end up with Protractor then I'm good. It could be be a good angle.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Currently we have Armo, Ross, Dunstan, Weller, Curran and the maestro in the middle - I'd be happy for us to look at fast outside mids with some picks around 20 to 40 and use #1 on Paddy.

but hey if we end up with Protractor then I'm good. It could be be a good angle.
He's more of a proctologist though- he'll disembowel the opposition. He's an ox. I can see him being a superstar in a Judd meets Dangerfield or Fife way. He is a goal kicking attacking mid that can play forward just as well. Think a young Paul Chapman kind of bulldozer.