Contract extension - Tom Lee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintfox
Club Player

Contract extension - Tom Lee

Reported in the west that Ton Lee has just signed a 2 year contract extension.hope the surgery goes well and he can have a big preseason.

Be the best you can ... If not have fun trying....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Contract extension

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Wow! 2 years?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

April Fools in July?
1 year would be more than enough surely? Has Pelican lost the plot??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:...Has Pelican lost the plot??
Hard to lose if you've never had it.

We will still need to have at least 38 players on our senior list with up to 6 rookies. They will still have to be paid 95% of the salary cap, which next year will be just over $10 million or, an average, at least $250,000 per year for senior list players.

Tom Lee will never be a good player. The main reason is that he has very little defensive side to his game. Opponents can simply run away from him once the ball is on the ground. But I suppose the assessment is that, in the next two years, we might need someone to come in who can at least make a contest when the ball is in the air. Reinventing a playing list is a very long process these days unless you are very lucky and will take at least six to seven years.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:April Fools in July?

He has a break out game and kicks a bag and all of a sudden his value sky rockets and gets offered a bomb by freo. If they believe he needs that long it's smart money. We have nothing else to spend it on.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

He has a break out game and kicks a bag and all of a sudden his value sky rockets and gets offered a bomb by freo. If they believe he needs that long it's smart money. We have nothing else to spend it on.

If if . 2 years is a disgrace. We have to probably keep Simpkin and Siposs because they go to long a contract. same may happen with Lee. One year would have been more than enough based on everything we have seen.

saintkid
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

If if . 2 years is a disgrace. We have to probably keep Simpkin and Siposs because they go to long a contract. same may happen with Lee. One year would have been more than enough based on everything we have seen.

True. Hard to believe if this really is the case. As I said before the guy has limited ability, is slow, is in his prime age-wise and has not been able to get his body right yet. No wonder our club is quickly becoming the laughing stock of the AFL with decisions such as this.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Contract extension - Tom Lee

It makes sense if lets say Roo is injured or call it quits this year what tall forwards do we have? Markworth and White are battling injuries. Beau will almost certainly be delisted. Sippos and Simpkin seems a long way off it. Even if we got McCartin you may want to ease him in and don't want to have to play him just because we don't have any other forwards. Lee was showing a bit when he first started with a nice leap at the footy and good kicking. Maybe his shoulders have been troubling him. Get his shoulders right, a big preseason and a kick up the ass about his efforts, then he will have a clear two years to show exactly what he offers and we won't die wondering with the high draft pick we traded him for.
Last edited by Bluthy on Sun 13 Jul 2014 12:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:It makes sense if lets say Roo is injured or call it quits this year what tall forwards do we have? Markworth and White are battling injuries. Beau will almost certainly be delisted. Sippos and Simpkin seems a long way off it. Even if we got McCartin you may want to ease him in and don't want to have to play him just because we don't have any other forwards. Lee was showing a bit when he first started with a nice leap at the footy and good kicking. Maybe his shoulders have been troubling him. Get his shoulders right, a big preseason and a kick up the ass about his efforts, then he will have a clear two years to show exactly what he offers and we won't die wondering.

No issue with him getting another contract but what you said doesnt address why it had to be 2 years.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:It makes sense if lets say Roo is injured or call it quits this year what tall forwards do we have? Markworth and White are battling injuries. Beau will almost certainly be delisted. Sippos and Simpkin seems a long way off it. Even if we got McCartin you may want to ease him in and don't want to have to play him just because we don't have any other forwards. Lee was showing a bit when he first started with a nice leap at the footy and good kicking. Maybe his shoulders have been troubling him. Get his shoulders right, a big preseason and a kick up the ass about his efforts, then he will have a clear two years to show exactly what he offers and we won't die wondering.

No issue with him getting another contract but what you said doesnt address why it had to be 2 years.
Probably because one year isn't really enough for him to build his tank and body and genuinely show what he's got. And maybe its a show of confidence in him from the club. Big forwards often do take a bit of time to develop. And being a forward in the bottom team with Roo sucking up most of the few opportunities that come in is pretty damn hard work.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Probably because one year isn't really enough for him to build his tank and body and genuinely show what he's got. And maybe its a show of confidence in him from the club. Big forwards often do take a bit of time to develop. And being a forward in the bottom team with Roo sucking up most of the few opportunities that come in is pretty damn hard work.

The problem is he isnt a normal big forward. Surely at the end of next season he will be strong enough and fit enough for AFL footy. it will be the end of his 4th year of AFL footy and he will be nearly 25 years of age. Cant see any positive of a 2 year contract to be totally honest.

saintkid
Club Player

I disagree. All the good forwards showed plenty more than he has by the time they were 23-24 years old and certainly didn't have major body issues like Lee. He will be 24 in January. One year more was plenty to further invest on him. Don't get me wrong I had high hopes for him after being traded for an early pick but we have seen enough (even my mum included lol) that he hasn't got enough talent to play a key role in our future forward structure, not to mention his fragile body for someone already his age.

He had the preseason before last year and his body failed. Same thing in 2014. He is a fringe player at best and that's not what we need now.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Concerned its 2 years, what's the need?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:I disagree. All the good forwards showed plenty more than he has by the time they were 23-24 years old and certainly didn't have major body issues like Lee. He will be 24 in January. One year more was plenty to further invest on him. Don't get me wrong I had high hopes for him after being traded for an early pick but we have seen enough (even my mum included lol) that he hasn't got enough talent to play a key role in our future forward structure, not to mention his fragile body for someone already his age.

He had the preseason before last year and his body failed. Same thing in 2014. He is a fringe player at best and that's not what we need now.
I agree with you but I'm looking at the rational from the club. They must rate him based on the trade and feel he hasn't been able to have a full crack at it and two more years with everything right they will know for sure. And it gives us a bit more forward cover if Rooey finishes. We don't want to be relying on Stanley.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Concerned its 2 years, what's the need?
I know everyone cans him in here but I imagine that he would have had interest from other clubs... Even a lucrative WAFL deal would have trumped an offer of only 1 year from us.

We currently have
Reiwoldt - 1 year left?
Stanley
Maister - likely gone
Lee
White - playing VFL dev league this year.

I can't see the problem with 2 years for Lee at all, if Reiwoldt & Stanley get injured then Lee & White are all we have.

Lee has a lot more currency than Siposs, Milera, Markworth & Dunell.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
I know everyone cans him in here but I imagine that he would have had interest from other clubs... Even a lucrative WAFL deal would have trumped an offer of only 1 year from us.

We currently have
Reiwoldt - 1 year left?
Stanley
Maister - likely gone
Lee

I can't see the problem with 2 years for Lee at all, if Reiwoldt & Stanley get injured then Lee & White are all we have.

As with all the others they all have zero currency. Even what you says doesnt really explain 2 years.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

I know most of you won't believe me, but I have stated this quite a few times before. When Tom was drafted they felt he needed 2 full years in the VFL. Nothing really has changed.

saintjake
Club Player

Happy to hear, battled a few injuries but I think shows promise. Hopefully a big preseason for him. Gets his body right and with some luck has a big impact next year

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:I know most of you won't believe me, but I have stated this quite a few times before. When Tom was drafted they felt he needed 2 full years in the VFL. Nothing really has changed.

Yep so why does that mean he gets another 2 years and it seems strange anyway. We draft a 21 year old at pick 12, and yes I know we got other picks, but he has to play 2 years in the VFL. It makes no sense especially as the way he plays requires little strength because he will never be a pack mark.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:I know most of you won't believe me, but I have stated this quite a few times before. When Tom was drafted they felt he needed 2 full years in the VFL. Nothing really has changed.
Last year he played 10 AFL games and 6 VFL games.
This year he played 3 AFL games and 10 VFL games (so far).

Across both years he's missed a total of about 6 games with injury, nothing too much to hold him back.

So does that mean that next year he'll hit his straps?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm with saintjake on this one. I hope he proves a few folk wrong.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintkid
Club Player

Look if he makes it I will gladly say I was wrong about him. You say 2 years in the VFL but both 2013 and 2014 have been injury riddled. If he was 18- 20 years old I would say fair enough but not someone tuning 24 at season's end. Jarryd Allen showed heaps more than him before he was cruelly injured with a freak serious hip injury in the 2008 final against Collingwood. Lee hasn't proven much in the way of ability yet and his body is continually breaking down.

We all have opinions but Jonathan Brown, Roo, Carey, Hawkins and Cloke were killing them at Lee's age. I know he's nowhere near the ability of these players but at his age his suspect shoulder and body issues are always going to have to be carefully managed, so not a good sign going forward after already 2 years being stuck on the sidelines or showing very little in the VFL. His 2014 preseason did not prepare him well so why should 2015 be radically different with further surgery? Look at Cameron Cloke, he went to Carlton and still kept having the same recurring shoulder injuries. Never really made an impact in the end after several years of ongoing shoulder management.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

We currently have
Reiwoldt - 1 year left?
Stanley
Maister - likely gone
Lee

As with all the others they all have zero currency. Even what you says doesnt really explain 2 years.
It's pretty simple, he had other offers which would have trumped a 1 year deal from us... If we wanted to keep him, we needed to give him 2 years, which isn't a big deal?

Love him or hate him, along with Stanley he's currently our most promising key forward under 30. Until we have a handful if better options we need to retain Lee.

Any young key forwards we draft will be years away from holding up our forward line.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

We currently have
Reiwoldt - 1 year left?
Stanley
Maister - likely gone
Lee

Yeah I was just thinking maybe it's harder for the club to negotiate a 1 year deal than we think, especially for young players.