Saints: Lock Up Your Young Stars

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Fidelis
Club Player

Saints: Lock Up Your Young Stars

Didn't hear the SEN interview but not sad to read that Finnis is putting it out there that we'll aggressively pursue the brightest young stars from the northern states. In an article entitled "We're coming for your uncontracted players" on the AFL website, Finnis is reported as saying that the Saints will be ruthless and creative in finding the building blocks for their next tilt. He says that they'll be willing to pay overs for talent.

In the light of Dermott et al making noises lately about how hard it will be for the Saints to attract talent, it's good to hear Finnis planting the seed An early pick in the preseason draft might conceivably be the best thing to come out of this season (for those who remember us using the #1 PS pick to lever Hamill and Gehrig from their clubs before using it on Voss)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-28/s ... go-raiding

Faithful Even Unto Death
Richter
SS Life Member

Re: Saints: Lock Up Your Young Stars

Fantastic. Shiel, Patton, O'Rourke should be on that list for starters.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
andrewg
Club Player

Jeremy Cameron
6yr deal 1mil a year

This reeks of a big play for Jeremy Cameron, we desperately need a marquee player and he would be it.
Or
Shiel
Treloar
Reid (Sydney)

Gold Coast??
Last edited by andrewg on Sun 29 Jun 2014 12:15am, edited 1 time in total.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

When you bottom out as agressively as we have, you need to be more agressive on the counterpunch

Bring back the Lockett era
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:2015
Jeremy Cameron
6yr deal 1mil a year

This reeks of a big play for Jeremy Cameron, we desperately need a marquee player and he would be it.
Or
Shiel
Treloar
Reid (Sydney)

Gold Coast??

Treloar wants out. Didnt you say that? Reckon we may get one good young player for 2016 but we would have to massive odds to get one for next year considering we will be worse next season.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:When you bottom out as agressively as we have, you need to be more agressive on the counterpunch
Correct. And it's all about planning. If you expect to be bottom 4 for a few years, it helps enormously with the rebuild process.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Treloar most certainly doesn't want out unless he is going to blindside his club. He came out about a month ago and said he is committed to GWS long term and hopes his team mates all are too.

Northern States, I can only read this as GWS. I think with all of the media recently (Pelch commenting on how the first 7 Or so are vying for number one, us wanting to raid northern States) it is basically conditioning us for a pick downgrade imo... At least I bloody well hope so.

Only (marginally) getable players I could think of are Mitchell, Membrey, Towers from Sydney. GWS could be anyone from Patton, Jaksch, Tomlinson or Cameron to a mid like Shiel, Bugg or JOR. GC, well who knows, maybe a big play for someone we haven't spoken about like Swallow? As for Lions, I can see anyone who is getable to be honest.

We are certainly setting ourselves up for something big so far out from trade week!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Treloar most certainly doesn't want out unless he is going to blindside his club. He came out about a month ago and said he is committed to GWS long term and hopes his team mates all are too.

Northern States, I can only read this as GWS. I think with all of the media recently (Pelch commenting on how the first 7 Or so are vying for number one, us wanting to raid northern States) it is basically conditioning us for a pick downgrade imo... At least I bloody well hope so.

Only (marginally) getable players I could think of are Mitchell, Membrey, Towers from Sydney. GWS could be anyone from Patton, Jaksch, Tomlinson or Cameron to a mid like Shiel, Bugg or JOR. GC, well who knows, maybe a big play for someone we haven't spoken about like Swallow? As for Lions, I can see anyone who is getable to be honest.

We are certainly setting ourselves up for something big so far out from trade week!

Why is that? because we will be last. I havent heard any signs that suggest we are setting up for something big. Matter of fact havent heard our names linked with anyone really. We may get a player or two but still not reaching the bottom of our cycle makes it hard to be appealing.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:Treloar most certainly doesn't want out unless he is going to blindside his club. He came out about a month ago and said he is committed to GWS long term and hopes his team mates all are too.

Why is that? because we will be last. I havent heard any signs that suggest we are setting up for something big. Matter of fact havent heard our names linked with anyone really. We may get a player or two but still not reaching the bottom of our cycle makes it hard to be appealing.
I disagree with that sentiment. Heaps of very good kids have played very little footy at afl level. Most want game time more than a pay rise. s*** teams guarantee you access to a spot.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I disagree with that sentiment. Heaps of very good kids have played very little footy at afl level. Most want game time more than a pay rise. s*** teams guarantee you access to a spot.

He said setting up for something big. Heaps of young kids with very little footy at AFL level doesnt sound like it is big. Maybe I read it wrong because I do agree we will get a young kidd or two but i dont agree that is big.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Anyone watched Cameron closely this year? Been average at best and is not the sort of key/power forward I'd have at the top of our shopping list.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Money talks P66, read between the lines of what is coming out of Saints media (in particular the Pelch twitter chat and now Finnis' interview) - clearly in the next couple of years, we will be throwing cash at a young a grade junior and paying overs to lure him - yes, we are a bottom side, but everyone who has seen our plan is impressed by it so it's about many factors for a kid. I heard even Caddy who was previously 'a no way I want a big name club' was somewhat impressed when he visited Seaford when we tried to sell our plan to him.

Say we offer Cameron, Boyd, Shiel or Treloar 6 years at 6mill, my guess is they'll be forgetting that the Saints are on the bottom of the ladder. I'll use Cameron as an example, he might not want to share a fwdline with Patton and Boyd, he might want more influence being the main man - note he was more influential last year with no Patton or Boyd, maybe Patton and he keep running into the same spots. Maybe Cameron loves Melbourne and wants to live in a bayside suburb. Maybe his girlfriend wants a gig on neighbours. Just making things up, but players have gone to bottom clubs before and will again so you can't say we aren't appealing. I see Hawthorns list and see Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell, Lake, Etc and think, eventually they will fall to the bottom half when their stars drop off. Geelong still rely on the SJ, Bartel, Kelly etc combo when games are close. For a 21 year old, surely they aren't stupid enough to think, this team is challenging now with a bunch of 30+ year olds as stars, I better go to them to get a premiership. Look how quickly it fell away for us (granted we've dug that hole somewhat by losing BJ, Dal, Mac etc.

Realistically, noones name is going to be genuinely linked with another club at this stage of the season and nor should it be. Had Bruce, Savage, Longer or Delaney been linked with us last June?

Every so often a club is linked with a player by a reporter, ie Fyfe and Sydney - then Fyfe re-signs anyway.

We have some great operators at the club, and considering how cashed up we are, it would be unrealistic to assume we aren't heavily in the hunt to nab a gun a grader.

Strength through Loyalty
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Money talks P66, read between the lines of what is coming out of Saints media (in particular the Pelch twitter chat and now Finnis' interview) - clearly in the next couple of years, we will be throwing cash at a young a grade junior and paying overs to lure him - yes, we are a bottom side, but everyone who has seen our plan is impressed by it so it's about many factors for a kid. I heard even Caddy who was previously 'a no way I want a big name club' was somewhat impressed when he visited Seaford when we tried to sell our plan to him.

Say we offer Cameron, Boyd, Shiel or Treloar 6 years at 6mill, my guess is they'll be forgetting that the Saints are on the bottom of the ladder. I'll use Cameron as an example, he might not want to share a fwdline with Patton and Boyd, he might want more influence being the main man - note he was more influential last year with no Patton or Boyd, maybe Patton and he keep running into the same spots. Maybe Cameron loves Melbourne and wants to live in a bayside suburb. Maybe his girlfriend wants a gig on neighbours. Just making things up, but players have gone to bottom clubs before and will again so you can't say we aren't appealing. I see Hawthorns list and see Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell, Lake, Etc and think, eventually they will fall to the bottom half when their stars drop off. Geelong still rely on the SJ, Bartel, Kelly etc combo when games are close. For a 21 year old, surely they aren't stupid enough to think, this team is challenging now with a bunch of 30+ year olds as stars, I better go to them to get a premiership. Look how quickly it fell away for us (granted we've dug that hole somewhat by losing BJ, Dal, Mac etc.

Realistically, noones name is going to be genuinely linked with another club at this stage of the season and nor should it be. Had Bruce, Savage, Longer or Delaney been linked with us last June?

Every so often a club is linked with a player by a reporter, ie Fyfe and Sydney - then Fyfe re-signs anyway.

We have some great operators at the club, and considering how cashed up we are, it would be unrealistic to assume we aren't heavily in the hunt to nab a gun a grader.

Havent seen much from Pelchen to say he is a great operator but I admit bias because i beleive he has told 2 lies whilst at our club. The problem i have with getting players from GWS is to get them you have to give them something. We can only offer draft picks. Some other clubs can offer players. My feeling is GWS now want players. And lots of maybes and hopes in your post. Still havent seen enough from those in charge to suggest we will bag a gun in the next year or two.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Patton is an interesting choice, because his family, including himself were massive St.Kilda fans, probably still are, they cheer on Patton, not the Giants.
Personally, a big power forward is more appealing to me.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Plugger what are these so called lies Pelchen has told?

8856brother wrote:Plugger what are these so called lies Pelchen has told?

Well i think he was sacked from the hawks and have said that previously and the second one I base on dates. I dont think Allan Jeans said to him go and save my club and have said that previously. The first on base on what I have actually heard and the second is probably more of an opinion based on all the dates involved. Could be wrong on one or both. Im sorry but i dont trust him. Again only an opinion and most seem to disagree but thats fine. It would a boring world if we all had the same thoughts.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Havent seen much from Pelchen to say he is a great operator but I admit bias because i beleive he has told 2 lies whilst at our club. The problem i have with getting players from GWS is to get them you have to give them something. We can only offer draft picks. Some other clubs can offer players. My feeling is GWS now want players. And lots of maybes and hopes in your post. Still havent seen enough from those in charge to suggest we will bag a gun in the next year or two.
I feel we are going around in circles, both of our posts are largely opinions, feelings, maybes and hopes, to simply dismiss these options in unfair and downright boring tbh, you might think you are being realistic but unless you are on our staffing panel, you are just as clueless as us so is there a problem with a few hypotheticals or trying to read between the lines of what snippets we hear from our actual staff?

I still think gws will be happy with picks. Pretty sure I've heard they want to spread the absolute top line quality over a longer period - having that top line quality coming through and not all turning 22 at once means they can spread the load more evenly (talking salary cap pressures going forward) with that in mind, that is why they took players like Plowman, McCarthy, Corr, Tomlinson when they didn't really need them because they are a type of player who is in demand for resale for want of a better word.

We could offer players like Stanley, Armo, Pierce, Curren, Joey - admittedly they aren't worthy of a first rounder in return, but they might be steak knives to fill their need if they were keen.

Basically you want Finnis coming out and breaking the afl rules by saying we believe we can nab Jeremy Cameron and are talking to his management, anything but that and you are just going to try to ridicule any discussions? He has said as much as he can legally say - that we are looking to pay overs or a gun kid north of the border - yet you are still not happy. Give me a spell...

Strength through Loyalty
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:Plugger what are these so called lies Pelchen has told?

Well i think he was sacked from the hawks and have said that previously and the second one I base on dates. I dont think Allan Jeans said to him go and save my club and have said that previously. The first on base on what I have actually heard and the second is probably more of an opinion based on all the dates involved. Could be wrong on one or both. Im sorry but i dont trust him. Again only an opinion and most seem to disagree but thats fine. It would a boring world if we all had the same thoughts.
Fair enough. I have no idea. Would be disapointing if the Alan Jeans story was made up.

St Ick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I feel we are going around in circles, both of our posts are largely opinions, feelings, maybes and hopes, to simply dismiss these options in unfair and downright boring tbh, you might think you are being realistic but unless you are on our staffing panel, you are just as clueless as us so is there a problem with a few hypotheticals or trying to read between the lines of what snippets we hear from our actual staff?

I still think gws will be happy with picks. Pretty sure I've heard they want to spread the absolute top line quality over a longer period - having that top line quality coming through and not all turning 22 at once means they can spread the load more evenly (talking salary cap pressures going forward) with that in mind, that is why they took players like Plowman, McCarthy, Corr, Tomlinson when they didn't really need them because they are a type of player who is in demand for resale for want of a better word.

We could offer players like Stanley, Armo, Pierce, Curren, Joey - admittedly they aren't worthy of a first rounder in return, but they might be steak knives to fill their need if they were keen.

Basically you want Finnis coming out and breaking the afl rules by saying we believe we can nab Jeremy Cameron and are talking to his management, anything but that and you are just going to try to ridicule any discussions? He has said as much as he can legally say - that we are looking to pay overs or a gun kid north of the border - yet you are still not happy. Give me a spell...

So lets get this straight. You say im dismissing your opinion and its boring and unfair but arent you doing the same to me? If we are discussing things then lets discuss it but dont suggest my opinion is boring and unfair unless of course you think the same about your opinion because from where I stand I cant see the difference. I am just suggesting that havent seen anything from our club to suggest we will gat a name player. You disagree which is your right. I also think GWS will want players. You disagree which is your right. I think I have given valid reasons previously why I dont think GWS will want picks. I aint just disagreeing without reason. And i dont want Pelchen coming out and saying we will will nab Cameron even though he is allowed and no AFL rules are broken. You said he may get a big name but I say why apart from opinion.And when did I say I wasnt happy. Please dont get like a couple of others on here who take it personally when people disagree or suggest that what you say may not happen. I would rather you be right and me wrong. Doesnt mean I have to think it will happen.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Paying overs doesn't sound like strategy to me! Sounds f-ing stupid

#1 Ryder fan
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Paying overs doesn't sound like strategy to me! Sounds f-ing stupid
The strategy is fine and necessary. EVERY club has a minimum amount salary cap requirement....Our players combined are being paid as much as Hawthorn's. We are already paying massive overs to our players. Finess didn't spell it out but it was obvious he has our unique list in mind when suggesting we can and will pay overs for young talent north of the border. Due to our poor list our young talented players and ones coming in can earn some good bucks early on in their careers as long as they show longterm commitment.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Also, by paying or offering overs you drive up prices meaning if gws do say, give an extra 100k per year for Cameron - it could flush out another kid in a year or two. Its far from crazy

Strength through Loyalty
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:Anyone watched Cameron closely this year? Been average at best and is not the sort of key/power forward I'd have at the top of our shopping list.
He is a much better player than his output this year. He is either unhappy with GWS or playing with injury!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:Anyone watched Cameron closely this year? Been average at best and is not the sort of key/power forward I'd have at the top of our shopping list.
He is a much better player than his output this year. He is either unhappy with GWS or playing with injury!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!