Seb Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Seb Ross

I didn't see the game (radio) but I'm interested in peoples thoughts on Seb.

He's only young and hasn't played many games, but my concerns with him from what I've seen are his pace/tank, and his disposal (kind of loopy - up and under).

His stats for yesterdays game were;

8 kicks, 10 handballs, 11 contested possessions, 55% disposal efficiency, 1 mark, 2 clearances, 2 tackles, 4 inside 50's and time on ground 72%. (Stats from AFL website.)
To me, those stats sounds like a reasonable game for a young guy.

For those who saw the game, how did you rate him? Did he impact the game at all? Strengths/weaknesses?

Freebird
Club Player

Re: Seb Ross

Needs to develop a weapon or 2.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

too early to tell imo might not make it might blossom into something great... more time on the park and few more preseasons...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
noob
Club Player

His spread is terrible. When he runs, it looks like he jogs on the spot.. Although when he gets the ball he generally has good composure. Hopefully he can turn into a player like cunnington from north.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:His spread is terrible. When he runs, it looks like he jogs on the spot.. Although when he gets the ball he generally has good composure. Hopefully he can turn into a player like cunnington from north.
Spread is just terrible....And he's a one way player and cannot keep up with his opponents when they are spreading. Pace is a massive, massive issue for Seb. He really gets exposed when the game opens up. Other than that, he's a real footballer. Finds the footy, good distributor in tight and tackles well in congestion. I'm not sure if he'll make it. Again, pace the issue, which I don't see improving enough. He's going to have to be an extremely dominant ball winner to compensate for his major flaw to make it as a consistent AFL footballer IMO.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
noob wrote:His spread is terrible. When he runs, it looks like he jogs on the spot.. Although when he gets the ball he generally has good composure. Hopefully he can turn into a player like cunnington from north.
Spread is just terrible....And he's a one way player and cannot keep up with his opponents when they are spreading. Pace is a massive, massive issue for Seb. He really gets exposed when the game opens up. Other than that, he's a real footballer. Finds the footy, good distributor in tight and tackles well in congestion. I'm not sure if he'll make it. Again, pace the issue, which I don't see improving enough. He's going to have to be an extremely dominant ball winner to compensate for his major flaw to make it as a consistent AFL footballer IMO.
They don't all make it

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
wally
Club Player

I think you need in & under players and all players lack something.
I watched the game on tv and did not notice him much.
He probably gives Lenny a cut out so that's good.
A replacement may be faster but never get a contested possession.
People on here bagged Luke Ball,too slow, cant kick,etc,but he's still going.
Give him another go.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:Needs to develop a weapon or 2.
This. He seems generally proficient, but lacks one outstanding quality. He's good in close, but he seems to be just average in all the other areas. He's still got time on his side. He may be the type who needs plenty of time or several preseasons to get up to speed. His cousin Jobe was the same. Almost got delisted/traded after his third year. Got serious about his preparation and you all know the rest.

Maybe the way Billings and Dunstan have started, has raised our expectations of Seb a bit too much.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:I didn't see the game (radio) but I'm interested in peoples thoughts on Seb.

He's only young and hasn't played many games, but my concerns with him from what I've seen are his pace/tank, and his disposal (kind of loopy - up and under).

His stats for yesterdays game were;

8 kicks, 10 handballs, 11 contested possessions, 55% disposal efficiency, 1 mark, 2 clearances, 2 tackles, 4 inside 50's and time on ground 72%. (Stats from AFL website.)
To me, those stats sounds like a reasonable game for a young guy.

For those who saw the game, how did you rate him? Did he impact the game at all? Strengths/weaknesses?

i thought he was okay...lot better than several other saints......needs a bit more game time and confidence...is on the slow side...but very quick brain and hands make up for it....part of our future when guys like geary, jones and ray aren't....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Seb is not a natural runner and looks like running at anything other than a jog is really hard work for him. In todays endurance running game it's looking more and more like Seb just doesn't have the tools to make it! I have had my doubts regarding Seb since he was drafted and nothing he has done in the interim has changed that opinion. I believe Tony Elshaugh's Essendon background may have swayed this recruiting decision but don't believe Seb ROSS will prove to be a successful one?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

He's going to struggle trudging around like he does atm. He needs to either find some tricks or get as ferocious as Lenny, Armo and Dunstan. He seems a very intense kind of kid. Cant remember him smiling too often. Maybe he's puting too much pressure on himself. Chill out Seb.

Have watched him really closely ever since he started and I'm hoping the coaches back him in and give him afl game time. I was reading something the other day on dunstan and how it took lenny Hayes 2-3 seasons to have a 20+ possession game. Ross is going to be a really solid unit physically, shows quick hands and good tackling ability, appears to still lack confidence to go for his kicks and be more aggressive by foot (I reckon I could count the number of penetrating aggressive kicks he's gone for in his 10 or so games on one hand) but that'll only come with afl game time...obviously fitness and run need more time, but what better training than afl match hardening, he comes across as having a very sound character, shows good physicality on the field and I like the young group of 'no dickheads policy approach' that seb seems to tipify of our young brigade...I know they don't all make it, but my fingers are crossed that seb will really blossom over the next couple of seasons to be a really strong on field contributer in our best 22!!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

<edited by mods>

<warning issued for swearing>

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Not sold on Ross, find him frustrating, slow and has no impact on the game.

Seems to have no tank and gets led to the ball.

Not a fan

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Obviously his pace is a worry so it's very important that he builds a tank and gets a few games into him whilst doing it so he understands the workload needed!

PADDLEPOP1000
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:<edited by mods>
Nice one. :shock:

<please do not quote blatant breaches of rules - just adds to the moderating workload>

He was well suited to the 1st half when teammates couldn't handle the ball or the wind.

When skills are on show at Etihad he'd be no good.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ive been wrong a lot before - but Seb worries me.
I assumed hed be a late bloomer like his cousin and like Lenny and be ready to go next year for when Lenny does go.
He has one big game in the VFL - So he can play well at that level - and it might just be a matter of time before he is able to replicate his VFL form at AFL level.
But right here right now I'm not seeing much. Clearly he is slow but pace doesnt matter when ur like Lenny and Jobe and know how to find space and run into it flat out - but Seb is just running in straight lines at the minute and not finding space. Needs to learn the Lenny loop - where he takes possession and does a turn into space before composing himself.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:[quote="magnifisaint"<edited by mods>
Nice one. :shock:[/quote]
to the point

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Very good in the first half... Creative by hand.... In the best 5 players at quarter time

With Dunstan, Armitage, Hayes, Ross... We have too many slow inside mids....

Two will need to go IMO

He needs more games to accurately assess where he is... 18 possessions in his first game... Not a disaster

oldie60
Club Player

His cousin had the same problem when he first started at Essendon.

saint6709
Club Player

He made a nice block on riewoldt's man to allow riewoldt's an easy mark - but otherwise thought he wasn't up to much - needs to bring a lot more intensity an vigour I would think - given that there are about 4 blokes ready to take his spot

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think the important thing is to get some games into him and see if he can take a step forward

FQF
SS Life Member

From today's Age - written by Lloyd.

Jobe Watson stunned everyone at Essendon, including myself, with his ability to transform his physical weaknesses through dedication and a desire to fulfil his full potential. Like Rioli, Watson continually broke down due to soft-tissue injuries, but over just one off season his use of a boxing coach, sprints coach and a dietitian catapulted him to levels that no one ever thought he could reach
I’m not suggesting Rioli needs to lose weight like Watson did - Rioli looks in good shape - but the Bomber's lung capacity and ability to run all day was not there to complement the exquisite touch that he had when the football was in his hands. Once he was able to fix this problem, he became Essendon’s best and most important player in the space of three years.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... z302n4Dnyy

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

FQF wrote:From today's Age - written by Lloyd.

Jobe Watson stunned everyone at Essendon, including myself, with his ability to transform his physical weaknesses through dedication and a desire to fulfil his full potential. Like Rioli, Watson continually broke down due to soft-tissue injuries, but over just one off season his use of a boxing coach, sprints coach and a dietitian catapulted him to levels that no one ever thought he could reach
I’m not suggesting Rioli needs to lose weight like Watson did - Rioli looks in good shape - but the Bomber's lung capacity and ability to run all day was not there to complement the exquisite touch that he had when the football was in his hands. Once he was able to fix this problem, he became Essendon’s best and most important player in the space of three years.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... z302n4Dnyy
I have always seen Seb following a similar pathway to his cousin. Tall, strong inside mid who will grow into his AFL career, I remember looking at Jobe thinking he only got a game thanks to his dad (see Darcy Daniher), then just went bang after a few years!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!