Question regarding Leigh Montagna.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

citywest

Question regarding Leigh Montagna.

Would you agree to trading him if say a top 4 team came to us and said they would give us their first pick in the draft in exchange for Montagna and our fourth round pick?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Question regarding Leigh Montagna.

Be hard with Hayes obviously retiring

Now Gilbert.......

“Yeah….nah””
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

I think that drugs should never be tolerated in sport. Essendon should cease to exist.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Sobraz
SS Life Member

As you mentioned a top 4 team, I guess that rules Essendon out. Still wouldn't do it for anything over pick 1 or 2.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:I think that drugs should never be tolerated in sport. Essendon should cease to exist.
I'd keep Montagna and trade Seb Ross to Essendope for a decent draft pick, he can have a kick with his cousin and we get a more polished player.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Watching the Freo and Norf game tonight the two anchors on the wings look a bit rude.

Anyone know what game show Basil Zemplis hosted before they moved him over to footy. Was it Wheel of Fortune?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Would you agree to trading him if say a top 4 team came to us and said they would give us their first pick in the draft in exchange for Montagna and our fourth round pick?
For sure and I reckon Pelchen would too in a heartbeat.
But when was the last time someone traded a first round pick for a 31yo?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
satchmo wrote:I think that drugs should never be tolerated in sport. Essendon should cease to exist.
I'd keep Montagna and trade Seb Ross to Essendope for a decent draft pick, he can have a kick with his cousin and we get a more polished player.
Why would Essendon give us a decent draft pick for Seb Ross?
Bendigo Bombers might be interested in him.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Essendon are banned from the draft still so it couldn't be them.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It's not going to happen so who gives a stuff.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
citywest

Con Gorozidis wrote:
citywest wrote:Would you agree to trading him if say a top 4 team came to us and said they would give us their first pick in the draft in exchange for Montagna and our fourth round pick?
But I'm saying that we would give them our 4th round pick as well as Montagna. So if we finish 16th then that would be pick 59 and Montagna for say pick 18. Maybe it should be Joey and our 3rd round pick which could be 41.....So, Montagna and pick 41 to a top 4 team for their first pick which would be around 14. I would do it.....Thoughts?

citywest

And to all those posters that have been fooled by Joffaboy into thinking I'm an Essendon supporter....I'm Not. I have barracked for St Kilda since 1971 and was a member for 22 consecutive years until Lyon's first season.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Pick 59 isn't worth anything, so I don't see how that changes the trade.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:And to all those posters that have been fooled by Joffaboy into thinking I'm an Essendon supporter....I'm Not. I have barracked for St Kilda since 1971 and was a member for 22 consecutive years until Lyon's first season.
A question and a task for you then .

The question , Why is everyone of your posts reactionary ?

Secondly , post a photo of you and all your memberships .

I will believe you then !

In red white and black from 73
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
But I'm saying that we would give them our 4th round pick as well as Montagna. So if we finish 16th then that would be pick 59 and Montagna for say pick 18. Maybe it should be Joey and our 3rd round pick which could be 41.....So, Montagna and pick 41 to a top 4 team for their first pick which would be around 14. I would do it.....Thoughts?
yes id do it in hypothetical world.
so we would then have say picks 5,14,23.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He is a great saint... Unless he wants out

Why would you trade him? Do we want to see another ex saint success story

He was bog in his last game...

And why could a top 4 club afford him/need him.... Obviously the already have a great list.

You didn't see North pissing Boomer off, when they weren't any good?

Sometimes you can't sell your soul for hope and potential ...... Joey is quality, what guarantees would there be that a reasonably high DP will be near that level
Tom Lynch, Nicholas Winmar, Jamie Cripps, Seb Ross, Spencer White.... Imagine if we traded Joey for someone like that. He would contribute more in a year....Bethan any of those in a career

oldie60
Club Player

Would not trade as he will be fill in captain when Roo goes so that Dunstan could slot into the role similar to Ling and then Selwood. We will still need some experienced heads on the park. He has been lucky that he has not had any serious injuries and his body will probably hold up well and has the football smarts and pace to make an impact on a game.

citywest

But the point is Big Mart, Montagna will not be around by the time we play finals again. And more importantly, if we did happen to get pick 14 for Joey and our third round pick (probably pick 41), the player we draft could be another Dunstan. Even if he turns out to be a Lynch or Winmar or Cripps so what? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Were you happy with the outcome of the McEvoy trade? I sure as hell am. With that one trade we fixed up our ruck stocks and picked up 1 super star in the making plus Savage.

If we can either trade or be compensated for the loss of a Free Agent of one superstar per year (that is over 28 years old), to improve our draft picks then I'm all for it. Even if we still had Goddard, Dal and McEvoy we would still be in the bottom 4.

citywest

I have a question for you Big Mart. What is the net result from us losing Goddard, Dal and McEvoy?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You are never guaranteed a superstar.... Selling off all of your talent in the hope of getting more?
Don't see Geelong, Sydney, Freo, Hawthorn.... Just trying to offload stars... No they just keep adding talent to their list

It's inevitable that you might lose one or so.... But looking to continually get rid of champions is ridiculous....

Kruzer, Watts, Scully, Patton.... All have two things in common.... They were #1 picks and none are going to be stars... So compensation is never guaranteed?!

And
Trading Ben did not 'fix' our ruck stocks...

Billy Longer wanting out over Brisbane and us getting him for pick 25 did

Savage is hopeless and basically cut by Hawthorn... Dunstan is not a superstar yet, looks a very good footballer... Not sure he has any superstar qualities?

Yes we do need to trade smart

No we don't need to chop the top off the list to hope we hit some gold....

citywest

Well, firstly I don't agree with your answer at all and secondly you did not answer the question.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Billings has spoken highly of Joey's mentoring so far this year. It's nice to have experienced blokes around, especially guys like Joey who had to learn how to work hard (his career had a pretty slow start).

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Continuity of team ethos and experience is important for those coming through and has a value. Joey has still got another few years of good football left in him - when Roo, Lenny and a couple of others are gone. I would keep him and as others have said, there is no guarantee that a trade for him would deliver an equal replacement.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would get Jobe tested after seeing what penalties Essendon receive then get that bald greek guy, Jobe and Goddard bundled plus their first pick. That would just about do it. I can't think of anyone else essendon has that you would want.

ace
Saintsational Legend

A top 4 team first pick would be pick 15 to 18.
Their 4th round pick would be a worthless pick 69 to 72.
These could be increased by compensation picks.
So the question becomes would I trade Montagna for a late teens pick.

My answer is only if Montagna requested it.
He has served the club well, so if he wants premiership glory we should not stand in his way.
He must NOT be forced out.

I would be hostile if he were to behave like that #$%^& Luke Ball.
Collingwood used their first round pick to get Darren Jolly not Luke Ball.
Collingwood could have traded players and picks for another first round pick to secure a fair trade for Ball.
But Ball and his agent decided to assist Collingwood to dud St Kilda with a pathetic offer of a compromised second round pick worthy of a late third round in a normal draft.
If Montagna did not ensure St Kilda got reasonable value for his trade then I would be hostile again.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.