Umpires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Umpires

That was a shocking game and most of our guys seem to have forgotten to wash the soap from their hands or put their stops in their boots as part of their pre game check - but I haven't yelled at the umps like I did tonight since 2013

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpires

saint6709 wrote:That was a shocking game and most of our guys seem to have forgotten to wash the soap from their hands or put their stops in their boots as part of their pre game check - but I haven't yelled at the umps like I did tonight since 2013
Same...

It's really a pity that Plugger66 has been banned, I need a laugh right now and his defence of that pathetic excuse for officiating would have made me split my sides.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

We got our first goal from a very soft free kick. Lots of bad decisions both ways.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Grimfang
Club Player

Really? How many goals did they get from soft frees? Let alone the umpires basically saving the game for them in the dying minutes. The umpiring was a crock of shyte. There's no defending it.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Grimfang wrote:Really? How many goals did they get from soft frees? Let alone the umpires basically saving the game for them in the dying minutes. The umpiring was a crock of shyte. There's no defending it.
.....I thought that the maggots must have backed the lions.....seb get decapitated.no free.....roo gets monster end and we mark the ball anyway.......not paid free to the lions,.......what bullsh1t......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Grimfang wrote:Really? How many goals did they get from soft frees? Let alone the umpires basically saving the game for them in the dying minutes. The umpiring was a crock of shyte. There's no defending it.
.....I thought that the maggots must have backed the lions.....seb get decapitated.no free.....roo gets monster end and we mark the ball anyway.......not paid free to the lions,.......what bullsh1t......
The a.wipes hated paying us obvious frees up forward.

The umps cost us 2 goals. But I blame our 1st half on the loss.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saint6
Club Player

yes if we had played better in the first half the umpiring would not have mattered but that was an appalling display of inconsistent biased umpiring if ever I have seen one.
You would think that if the afl are serious about wanting to promote the game in new zealand they would ensure that we at least had reasonable umpires sent over instead of these fools who have no idea of the rules and seem to want to blow the whistle in order to put themselves in the spotlight.
While I dont expect the umpires to be perfect I do at least expect them to be consistent. Towards the end of the game they seemed to be looking for excuses to give brisbane the ball and ignoring obvious free kicks to us.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

For the most part the umpires have been excellent this season, but not last night. As well as our game, I thought the umpires in the Freo vs Nth game were also crap.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:We got our first goal from a very soft free kick. Lots of bad decisions both ways.
Exactly. I thought it kind of evened out - except for Brown touching the footy goal but I suppose they give the benefit of the doubt to it being a goal. Monty got a couple of soft ones in the last quarter. The umpires rewarded you if you put your head over the footy and lions outdid us there for 2 and half quarters.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:We got our first goal from a very soft free kick. Lots of bad decisions both ways.
Exactly. I thought it kind of evened out - except for Brown touching the footy goal but I suppose they give the benefit of the doubt to it being a goal. Monty got a couple of soft ones in the last quarter. The umpires rewarded you if you put your head over the footy and lions outdid us there for 2 and half quarters.
Well...They didn't reward Newnes late in the last quarter. There were two clear head high tackles and the maggots ignore both and then ping him for holding the ball.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
Well...The didn't reward Newnes late in the last quarter. There were two clear head high tackles and the maggots ignore both and then ping him for holding the ball.
Ross and Webster. Both very costly. In saying that, Joey must have got 4 frees in the last qtr. All looked dubious to me.

Club Player

Feels weird without plugger in this thread :shock: :shock:

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
gringo
Saintsational Legend

They really should have sent the A grade umps to New Zealand. I sat next to some English guys last year and they were laughing at the umpiring as they thought it was ridiculously technical and to them looked as if the same thing happened 20 times then one would be randomly pulled up.

They should have been instructed to umpire lightly and consistently. For a developing market making very obvious and deliberate calls is the only way you can get new fans to feel like they understand it. I'm the same with RL, i need the umpiring to be obvious and not overly technical or it alienates me and makes me feel as if I don't get the game and I can't be bothered investing effort into it.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:For the most part the umpires have been excellent this season, but not last night. As well as our game, I thought the umpires in the Freo vs Nth game were also crap.
Good point !

The fans and the media have been saying its good that they've been letting things go this year .
But they've also been making allot of noise recently that the game has been too congested and at times becomes like a rolling maul .
So obviously the Afl have told the umpires to pay more free kicks . they wont say they have but that is what of course has happened .
Checking the stats from last week the average free kick total was just under 32 a match with the highest being 39 ; dogs v blues .
So far this week its 42.5 with the highest being last night north v freo .
Having only glanced at the early rounds , there average would be comparable to last weeks.

So if this weeks average continues look forward to many more BS decisions before the season's out .

In red white and black from 73
stinger
Saintsational Legend

GRAMophone wrote:Feels weird without plugger in this thread :shock: :shock:

no actually feels good to me....nice to be able to abuse and criticise the maggots without being criticised and abused in turn..... :wink: :wink: :D :D

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

GRAMophone wrote:Feels weird without plugger in this thread :shock: :shock:
Here i'll make up for it

"The umpires performed very well, we only have ourselves to blame"
/plugger66

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
saint6
Club Player

sorry anybody complaining about joey getting frees was clearly not at the game. The treatment he copped off the ball all night was appalling and should have been stopped far earlier.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint6 wrote:sorry anybody complaining about joey getting frees was clearly not at the game. The treatment he copped off the ball all night was appalling and should have been stopped far earlier.
Agree. It bordered on blatant cheating or bias against him.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

saint6 wrote:sorry anybody complaining about joey getting frees was clearly not at the game. The treatment he copped off the ball all night was appalling and should have been stopped far earlier.
It was me. Clearly you are correct, I was in Australia. From my couch he seemed to get a few soft ones in the last qtr. Didn't have enough pocket money to get to the game.