Time to pull the heads in!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Buckets
SS Life Member

Time to pull the heads in!

Ok folks enough is enough.

Sick off the continual sly digs at particular posters in a sort of one up manship. The game day thread was littered with it and it was not warranted.

I get that people have opinions and everyone feels the need to point where others may be wrong.

HOWEVER...

The attacks on posters to give ones self an ego boost will come to an end.

IMO it is baiting and so therefore as of now warnings will be given and banings as well if the need arises.

Please refrain and use this forum in a mature manner.

Buckets

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time to pull the heads in!

Surely you are letting your power go to your head.

The Hickey exchange is a great example. I had a vigourous exchange with BM about Hickey. He had previously insulted Hickey by calling him a gumby, not only inferring but being overt in his post that Hickey couldn't play.

He has constantly bagged the Macevoy trade and used Hickey as an example of a poor decision.

So now we cant refer to what other posters have said previously? Especially when the poster who has been bagging and rubbishing one of our players for 18 months is proven wrong? Spare me.

What a joke :roll:

Conversely, when a poster spams thread after thread with their assertion being correct (like one did about the Lovett trade), will you apply the same censorship?

One poster last year posted Jack Steven was the worst player ever to play for St.Kilda. So now we cant refer to that either?

This is a slippery slope to sterilisation of this forum and really dumb over the top censorship.

I did not agree with the thread about the sticky Hickey or whatever. Conversely I objected to skeptic involving me in that thread in his sooky post about attacking poor BM. I didn't attack anyone. I hd a robust exchange with BM regarding McEvoy and Hickey and then quoted his insulting derision of Hickey - gumby - when Hickey was starring against GWS.

So now we cant call other posters on poor posts. We have to say nothing when our players are called gumby or the worst players ever even if it is proven to be totally incorrect?

Teriffic. BFUSA wanted to rejuvenuate this forum. You are trying to kill it again by insane censorship.

Also does this now mean if anyone disagrees with my opinion I can report them especially if they quote what I have said in previous posts.

Absolutely ridiculous and heavy handed response from you.

Really disappointing response

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Buckets
SS Life Member

I have no issue with debate or opinion.

However there is a limit to proving one's argument. Most of the time there is plenty of fruitful argument and it is kept civil and mature.
There is also a time and a place. That is not during a game day thread where the said poster is not even posting! That is baiting pure and simple. As a result this sticky was placed just to make everyone aware.

It's not censorship it's making sure that people know the rules.

Power to my head? All i'm doing is trying to limit what has been over the last week constant attacks on certain posters which has been childlike. If that is not the role of a mod, well i'll be a monkey's uncle. The reporting feature is for posts that are abusive, baiting swearing etc. Not because of differing opinion.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Well said buckets.

Too many threads turn into a series of "look at me" posts.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

So responding to an insult of a player is childlike.

Calling a player a gumby is what then? An intellectual statement.

Cuts both ways.

A match day thread is a highly emotion live thread.

Our club has been bagged thread after thread about the McEvoy trade by a poster. McEvoys replacement called a gumby inferring (as this poster always does) that the Saints had once agin cocked up.

During the game it is apparent Hickey is almost BoG, beating Mumford and playing possibly the best ruckmans game by a Saints since Gardiner in 2009.

Posters want to support our club and tired of hearing from a certain poster of our clubs failing and his infallible prognostications on our players, vent a little steam.

Now you want to warn and ban posters for doing that.

Fair dinkum, nice way to kill passion and spontaneity. No you want a sterile environment where we are all cowed and wont point out this constant trolling of our club.

Yeah good one. Absolutely against this killing of game day interaction.

Oh BTW I take it you will give warnings and bannings for posters constantly spamming threads with how right they were on well you know the Lovett trade? Or does it only go the one way?

I object to a good high quality player like Hickey being insulted. The poster who insulted him should be called on it, but apparently even a gentle dig by some posters is "childlike".

What is a football forum for unless there is disagreement and pointing out posters inconsistencies. Had it done plenty of times to me, I don't complain.

Also I will admit when I am wrong. Some posters are incapable of that and will inflame other even more by never acknowledging it like calling Hickey a gumby was inappropriate wrong and deserved derision.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

My call for a sticky on Hickey was meant to be joke, clearly it can be considered baiting and although I do think probably crosses a line, most of the 'banter' on here could be considered 'baiting'. I didn't 'joke' about punching someone's head in, I was celebrating a great game by a player written off.

As for the match day thread, I haven't even opened it, let alone posted in there...

I think we can shelve the "poor Marto is ganged up on" schtick though... his own posting has lead to his "following", there is no agenda formed by a gang. As joff mentioned, the continuous spamming of threads about a couple of failed trades 5 years ago is the epitomy of baiting... As is bringing your own sporting memoirs/achievements into an argument about AFL football an invititation for people getting personal.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think we should have a group hug and then see who punches who. Im still also trying to work out who played well yesterday.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

how about you concentrate on updating the forum????
we've heard nothing for weeks yet 2 basic simple updates were meant to be done by the start of the season

i see its only you complaining about it
get over it i say
no one was abused
it was having a laugh at someone who made a call but cant stand by it and is a hindsight legend

saint-stu
Club Player

I have to agree with JB on this. There are some really hurtful things said about our players by cowards who wouldn't dare say it to the person's face. These comments shouldn't go unchallenged.

1ac46a38
Buckets
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:So responding to an insult of a player is childlike.

Cuts both ways.

Our club has been bagged thread after thread about the McEvoy trade by a poster. McEvoys replacement called a gumby inferring (as this poster always does) that the Saints had once agin cocked up.

During the game it is apparent Hickey is almost BoG, beating Mumford and playing possibly the best ruckmans game by a Saints since Gardiner in 2009.

Posters want to support our club and tired of hearing from a certain poster of our clubs failing and his infallible prognostications on our players, vent a little steam.

Fair dinkum, nice way to kill passion and spontaneity. No you want a sterile environment where we are all cowed and wont point out this constant trolling of our club.

Oh BTW I take it you will give warnings and bannings for posters constantly spamming threads with how right they were on well you know the Lovett trade? Or does it only go the one way?

I object to a good high quality player like Hickey being insulted. The poster who insulted him should be called on it, but apparently even a gentle dig by some posters is "childlike".

What is a football forum for unless there is disagreement and pointing out posters inconsistencies. Had it done plenty of times to me, I don't complain.

Also I will admit when I am wrong. Some posters are incapable of that and will inflame other even more by never acknowledging it like calling Hickey a gumby was inappropriate wrong and deserved derision.

No posting comments that are intended to be directed at posters to pot them when they are not apart of the thread and have not raised that issue in said thread is childish.

I'm all for being passionate. Hell that's why we are all here. FYI the match day thread wasn't the main thing that has raised its head. I get the passion and understand totally. They fact that we had to have a number of posts by people instead of really focussing on the fantastic effort by the boys said it all. Perhaps a thread like the Clint Jones one last week would have been more appropriate? One that wasn't solely directed at one individual. Would suggest there are a few posters on here that had doubted the move to get rid of McEvoy as is their right. And you have that right to say I told you so, but it can be done better. There have been a few threads where the intent of posters has been to belittle in a personal manner and that should not take place.

You are an intelligent poster who has great views and the ability to debate well. Why would I try to stop that? Don't try and make out that I'm out to stiffle this forum. I have no objection now or ever in sticking up for the club or players.

BUT...

It can be done in a mature manner. Play the ball not the man.
Yes you do have the ability to know when to admit error, and that is fantastic, not all have that ability - that unfortunately is the way of the world. We all have our views and are always free to voice them. But really we don't need a thread asking to be stickied just to rub it in to another poster - Even he admits that it probably wasn't the best idea. I've had people get personal in their attacks because that seems to be the thing to do. That is not on. Not now or ever. I would hope we don't act like that away from the keyboard so why should it be any different when we are using it!

Oh and to Matrix - I am a Mod not admin.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
joffaboy wrote:So responding to an insult of a player is childlike.

Cuts both ways.

No posting comments that are intended to be directed at posters to pot them when they are not apart of the thread and have not raised that issue in said thread is childish.

I'm all for being passionate. Hell that's why we are all here. FYI the match day thread wasn't the main thing that has raised its head. I get the passion and understand totally. They fact that we had to have a number of posts by people instead of really focussing on the fantastic effort by the boys said it all. Perhaps a thread like the Clint Jones one last week would have been more appropriate? One that wasn't solely directed at one individual. Would suggest there are a few posters on here that had doubted the move to get rid of McEvoy as is their right. And you have that right to say I told you so, but it can be done better. There have been a few threads where the intent of posters has been to belittle in a personal manner and that should not take place.

You are an intelligent poster who has great views and the ability to debate well. Why would I try to stop that? Don't try and make out that I'm out to stiffle this forum. I have no objection now or ever in sticking up for the club or players.

BUT...

It can be done in a mature manner. Play the ball not the man.
Yes you do have the ability to know when to admit error, and that is fantastic, not all have that ability - that unfortunately is the way of the world. We all have our views and are always free to voice them. But really we don't need a thread asking to be stickied just to rub it in to another poster - Even he admits that it probably wasn't the best idea. I've had people get personal in their attacks because that seems to be the thing to do. That is not on. Not now or ever. I would hope we don't act like that away from the keyboard so why should it be any different when we are using it!

Oh and to Matrix - I am a Mod not admin.

But as some have said we cant belittle posters but its ok to belittle a player by calling him a gumby and never once apologising. Surely as a saints forum its worse to belittle player of ours than a internet name that we dont even know. And people like BM and myself and some others give as much as they get anyway. people arent picking on a little kid with no defence. i cop it on here and the last thing I need is someone else telling people to stop it. If I dont like I can tell people to grow up or I can simply not read it.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Pluggs

I have no issue with people being called out on things. The problem is over the past week things have slowly become personal. That isn't on. That is why this thread is up at the moment.

Do I agree with statements about Hickey. No, but surely we argue those opinions in a mature way?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

buckets they havent even put you on the mod list

wtf is going on???
hopefully all is ok with admin in their lives away from here as we havent heard boo from them
everton is an admin he posts twice a week and has never weighed in on the update subject

and im sure bigmart can give out as good as he gets
if you make a rather strange call, you will get called on it if its wrong
if you try and wrangle out of it and never admit you were wrong youll cop it even more

dragit
Saintsational Legend

To be honest, the "post your apologies to Clint Jones" thread was very much in the same vein as my Hickey one... A couple of us were moaning about CJ's disposal putting team-mates under pressure... clearly we looked silly in the end when he finished with 39 decent touches.

The following 'apology' thread was created to highlight how wrong we were... it was personal, directed at those who had criticised the player... Is that baiting? Probably., but does it hurt my feelings... no.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

To me, it's not so much an issue of baiting... BM can certainly give as good as it gets.

It's not about the topic as i am of the same opinion RE Hickey as the majority here... Really big fan of Tom

Saint-stu that hurtful things need to be challenged... I agree with this but how many times do we need to challenge it.

This exact topic and the poster who expressed it is being debated in the Tom Hickey thread, and again in the match day thread in which BM hadn't even posted at that point, and has been mentioned in multiple other threads.

This isn't about Hickey anymore. The carry on is because of whose opinion it is... And it's getting really tiresome to read about it in multiple threads.

There are 1000 idiotic calls made regularly on this forum yet they're not highlighted to this extent... Why can't u just hammer BM in the relevant thread with out dragging it into every discussion. Look at the CJ thread... A robust discussion on a longer standing issue of contention... Everybody has their say, a debate is had and everyone moves on

stinger
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Well said buckets.

Too many threads turn into a series of "look at me" posts.
+1

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Nothing wrong with a post your apologies re player whatever. Or apologies to Finey re SW either for example.

Yes, it may be baiting but I'd call it "soft" baiting - the type that shouldn't end in tears or end in personal attacks.

It's human nature/Aussie custom to pay out those that make a seriously bad call. Yep, sometimes we are hindsight heros but your give back what you get where's the harm?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Great OP Buckets.

I'm sick of the tit-for-tat.

Personally, I think we should issue strikes and bans and encourage valued contributions to the board, not inane garbage.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

What a load of s***!

So what where not allowed to have our own say and have an opinion now??

stinger
Saintsational Legend

....well now...don't the bullying haters on here throw a tantrum when a mod does his job properly......whinge away guys.....i'm loving it... :mrgreen: .

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:....well now...don't the bullying haters on here throw a tantrum when a mod does his job properly......whinge away guys.....i'm loving it... :mrgreen: .
reported for baiting.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:....well now...don't the bullying haters on here throw a tantrum when a mod does his job properly......whinge away guys.....i'm loving it... :mrgreen: .

How can you see the posts?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

How can you see the posts?

thanks for quoting this P66

Buckets - shouldn't this poster be warned for baiting. Calling other posters bullying haters (ironic considering this poster has had numerous one month total bans from SS for his tiatribes).

This is against forum rules and the poster should be warned, especially considering he is attempting to incite flame wars, on a sticky about tempering flame wars no less :roll:

Do something about this recidivist troll and habitually banned poster please.

Lance or James??

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Time to update the banner.

Upgrade the forum.

Hope Simon is OK.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Here's an idea....... how about the absent admin come back and start running this forum properly...... and then you can tell us to pull our heads in.

This forum was once a great place to catch up with Saints news and indulge in a bit of frank and open debate about the issues of the day.

Despite BFUSA's promises, it's struggling.

It won't last 2015 at this rate.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.