Senior player exodus

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Senior player exodus

During the trade period there was rumours of Monty and roo et al leaving. Does anyone think there was a bit to that and they were coach related? When they were quashed by the club do you think those players were told there'd be a new coach?
Let's be honest the hiring of the dwarf was aimed at watters the burning is a different story...

#1 Ryder fan
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Senior player exodus

Bit late for Dal? He's gone....

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

One paper reported that Montagna was trying to get out - Monty was the guy who hired the dwarf (whether his idea or not he implemented it). I don't think they were told Watters would go but everyone inside would have known the tension between him and Pelchen and suspected something had to give. Playing under Lyon was like being a Scientologist - here are your instructions, this is what you believe, this is what you will do - do not deviate from this! I think some of the older players need some cult deprogramming. Compared with Brisbane we've been a player magnet this trade with the only ones going basically being pushed out for draft picks.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Does anyone think there was a bit to that and they were coach related? ...
Posted by a Carlton supporter on Bigfooty:
Sorry to intrude. But I just wanted to let you guys know that this was probably the best decision for the club. My mum works with Dal Santo's wife and she made it quite clear the reason Dal left was Watters. He didn't want to leave St Kilda. He loves the club. But Watters treated him very poorly. Hopefully now that Watters is out, the club can get someone in who will help develop your young kids but still maintain a good relationship with the older players.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:During the trade period there was rumours of Monty and roo et al leaving. Does anyone think there was a bit to that and they were coach related? When they were quashed by the club do you think those players were told there'd be a new coach?
Let's be honest the hiring of the dwarf was aimed at watters the burning is a different story...
All that and the about face on trading Fisher.
Fisher and Armitage meeting that bogan in Bali.
Smacks of some body high up telling players he(WAtters) won't be here next year.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
MC Gusto wrote: Does anyone think there was a bit to that and they were coach related? ...
Sorry to intrude. But I just wanted to let you guys know that this was probably the best decision for the club. My mum works with Dal Santo's wife and she made it quite clear the reason Dal left was Watters. He didn't want to leave St Kilda. He loves the club. But Watters treated him very poorly. Hopefully now that Watters is out, the club can get someone in who will help develop your young kids but still maintain a good relationship with the older players.
well if that's the case... Watters getting the ass was the right move... you can't treat leaders of the group like that.

so it seems Watters was a bit of a sick pill in there. lets hope a fit Fisher will come out firing next year.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
StGoddard18
Club Player

I really feel for Dal.

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

crying all the way to the bank? NO! a quality young man who has maintained his dignity and integrity throughout! same for Big Ben!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
slider
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:During the trade period there was rumours of Monty and roo et al leaving. Does anyone think there was a bit to that and they were coach related? When they were quashed by the club do you think those players were told there'd be a new coach?
As i posted well before trade period

Watters will be lucky to last 6 months

Monty wants out

Milne wanted to play on

Never heard anything about Roo

And Dal was told his options early, and that was to go put his toe in the water and test the market, and good on him he gets another chance at a flag.

There were a few other little snippets i didnt bother with because i thought they were a bit left field, including no love at all for Watters and Watters was going to put a broom through the senior playing group
These (rumors at the time) were straight from an ex player, i thought maybe things had settled when Monty didnt go then BANG!!!! bye bye Cuddles

Time to move on its all water under the bridge now.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hang on....

I thought Pelchen was the boss of the list make up decisions.....

So Milne, Joey, Roo, Ben, Dal.... Whoever.... Pelchen calls??

slider
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Hang on....

Ahh but Cuddles wanted total control of the playing group hence hes not there.
We dont know who had the last say on what at the time but i can say one player in a presser
said he was told by the coach he was only a 50/50 chance to reamin on the list and to go look elsewhere.

I would be glad for you to categorically state some facts and figures rather than i thought..

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
interesting.....thanks for sharing sr....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Hang on....

fiik..... :cry:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:
I would be glad for you to categorically state some facts and figures rather than i thought..

ledger....

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

StGoddard18 wrote:I really feel for Dal.
Maybe but he didn't exactly help himself with a lack of application on the field, a hands off approach to his game and certainly list the desire to tackle or hinder his opponent.

Coach or no coach, he left net disappointed with his effort this season.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

ozrulestrace wrote:
StGoddard18 wrote:I really feel for Dal.
Maybe but he didn't exactly help himself with a lack of application on the field, a hands off approach to his game and certainly list the desire to tackle or hinder his opponent.

Coach or no coach, he left net disappointed with his effort this season.
Surely not?

He was the first tagged every week and we had limited backup

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

so from the above, can it be looked at, that it was that the players are ruling the club.

shouldn't it be the other way round. we did need a rebuild didn't we? so if the older players noses were out of joint , so what?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

so from the above, can it be looked at, that it was that the players are ruling the club.

shouldn't it be the other way round. we did need a rebuild didn't we? so if the older players noses were out of joint , so what?

Im not sure how Dal being treated poorly means the players are ruling the club. Just looks like a player was treated poorly if true of course.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

maybe not if hatred is involved

Greg T
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:
Does anyone think there was a bit to that and they were coach related? ...

... re=related

Boy if that's true,it's very disappointing .
Probably makes a lot of sense ,as it seemed the playing group this year weren't to
Happy as indicated in our results.Dal especially seemed less interested .
Far cry from the RL days of saints footy.
Least they were a tight bunch who loved their coach .
Would love to hear from Dal re SW ,but he's too ethical for that.

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:MC Gusto wrote:
Does anyone think there was a bit to that and they were coach related? ...

... re=related

Boy if that's true,it's very disappointing .
Probably makes a lot of sense ,as it seemed the playing group this year weren't to
Happy as indicated in our results.Dal especially seemed less interested .
Far cry from the RL days of saints footy.
Least they were a tight bunch who loved their coach .
Would love to hear from Dal re SW ,but he's too ethical for that.

so that basically says its the players who are running the club?

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Sen reporting that Watters wanted to take the captaincy Of Rooey?

Before Im 85
slider
Club Player

I think it says the players wern't treated well by the coach, not the tail wagging the dog.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sounds to me like Watters might have been a bit too up-front with some players and probably told a couple of senior players that they are not guaranteed a game on reputations alone. NDS could have done a lot better this year especially with a young, raw midfield- not only was he an easy tag, his opponents became attacking players- something a coach hates. Anyway, if the tail is wagging the dog, then it's due to poor leadership at the top, and hopefully the new president will lead a bit more from the front than his predecessor did.