Time to fight BACK!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Time to fight BACK!

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I've had a gutful of this negative crap emanating from the Herald Sun and SEN regarding our club.
I believe it's time to make up our minds, to either sit quietly and let these "merchant bankers" (rhymes with.....? :wink: ) prattle on and spread rumours and innuendo about our club with no opposition, OR we go right on to the front foot and get on to SEN and bombard THEM with a positive vibe! You know, it doesn't matter one iota what the media THINK or SAY, what MATTERS is that the club are supported during this period! I intend to upgrade my membership ASAP for 2014, who's with me?! It's us and them now, and I can tell you, as far as this Sainter is concerned....."it ain't gonna be THEM"!
GO SAINTS! (to hell with the rest!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Halo
Club Player

Re: Time to fight BACK!

+1

DWOODROW
Club Player

What are they saying? I live in the north and I'm working away

#gosaintas
Club Player

I guess that was you on SEN this morning - well done.

howlinwolf
Club Player

Unfortunately the ONLY thing they understand is revenue. They have no morals.
It's strange as they make their income off the back of AFL clubs and sinking one would not be in their best interests but on the balance of things they figure they make more money out of headlines.
Fact or not.
The only way to change them and get them to be more responsible in reporting is to tune out to them and affect ratings/readership.
The herald sun is really a trash paper. They made a fortune out of headlines that were proved to be false.No apologies, just further crap.
That's enough for me to never bother reading it again.

SEN the same. They have some average commentators at all hours of the day. I listen to radio and read news to learn facts. I've no time for fairy tales.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

As I say, time to give it right BACK!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I don't get all this paranoia. Finey just looked ridiculous calling for Watters to be sacked and KB goes on a bit but it seems to have cooled off somewhat now. There are obviously some issues with the internal machinations at St Kilda as well as our list and the papers and radio talked them up a bit because people are interested in this stuff and they've got to talk about something for 20 hours a day. They've done the same with Collingwood Buckley rift, Brisbane, Melbourne has been hammered all year, Malthouses struggles with Carlton, Port were constantly labelled a basket case, GWS aren't developing etc. Dwarf gate put us squarely in footy fans consciousness as a club that is out of control. No ones fault but our own.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

As I say, time to get some positive vibes out there!

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I've had a gutful of this negative crap emanating from the Herald Sun and SEN regarding our club.
I believe it's time to make up our minds, to either sit quietly and let these "merchant bankers" (rhymes with.....? :wink: ) prattle on and spread rumours and innuendo about our club with no opposition, OR we go right on to the front foot and get on to SEN and bombard THEM with a positive vibe! You know, it doesn't matter one iota what the media THINK or SAY, what MATTERS is that the club are supported during this period! I intend to upgrade my membership ASAP for 2014, who's with me?! It's us and them now, and I can tell you, as far as this Sainter is concerned....."it ain't gonna be THEM"!

Spot on Jiggster..I actually wish we would just announce a contract extension for Watters, show a united front, and focus on the goal of rebuilding a side to win a premiership.

Nee!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't always agree with journos from the HS but Jon Ralph said something on "hungry for sport" that I thought had some merit and it went something like: "D'you want to win a premiership or not?" and I for one, think that it's time to accept that we are in for some hard times and that tough calls have to be made regarding the list, if we're ever to become a flag-winning outfit. It does NOT mean that I have to LIKE it! But if we can't keep our nerve and BACK THE CLUB then the struggle will go on ad-nauseum! (IMHO of course)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if the right way to counter the negative media is to counter with constant positive spin bulletins. As an example here is an extract from a post by The Other Thomo from another thread which I thought was well done:

the warmly received strategy evening at Seaford, smooth transition to a new Pres, Sir Leonard re-signing, NZ deal for 5, Watters and Co getting more involved with local schools etc, kids already back in the gym, Roo grassing up Maguire, Dal and the club handling his future maturely and respectfully, the players publicly taking responsibility for the incident with the small chap).

I'm no expert but I think if you counter negative with negative it becomes a race to the bottom...as well as you incentivise the creators from the negative side even further.

One thing I think this site can actively do is pull apart any negative media reports in forensic detail to illustrate how and where the report was crafted to manipulate thinking. The Roo versus McGuire event last week is a good example of not only how the media are able to manipulate your thinking, but also how skilled operators outside the media are able to manipulate your thinking through the clever use of the media.

This is a real pet subject of mine and I have long felt that the schools should be offering subjects that teach the next generation how to filter modern media.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote: There are obviously some issues with the internal machinations at St Kilda
Hey Bluthy, not having a go but just curious, you say "obviously"...care to expand?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I don't always agree with journos from the HS but Jon Ralph said something on "hungry for sport" that I thought had some merit and it went something like: "D'you want to win a premiership or not?" and I for one, think that it's time to accept that we are in for some hard times and that tough calls have to be made regarding the list, if we're ever to become a flag-winning outfit. It does NOT mean that I have to LIKE it! But if we can't keep our nerve and BACK THE CLUB then the struggle will go on ad-nauseum! (IMHO of course)
Jigster I think the key to the next few years is about maintaining two things (1)realism (2)stability. As is in politics, the key to good leadership and governance is about creating a viable plan and then selling it with a strong and consistent message.

The admin and football departments need to remain solid and at this stage it would appear that is the case.

We've just had a successful transition to a new Pres and it looks like the transition to a new CEO is being handled very professionally and I'm confident that the outcomes from the review being held by Andrew Thompson will organise and focus Pelchin and Watters to the job at hand for the next few years.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I wonder if the right way to counter the negative media is to counter with constant positive spin bulletins. As an example here is an extract from a post by The Other Thomo from another thread which I thought was well done:

the warmly received strategy evening at Seaford, smooth transition to a new Pres, Sir Leonard re-signing, NZ deal for 5, Watters and Co getting more involved with local schools etc, kids already back in the gym, Roo grassing up Maguire, Dal and the club handling his future maturely and respectfully, the players publicly taking responsibility for the incident with the small chap).

I'm no expert but I think if you counter negative with negative it becomes a race to the bottom...as well as you incentivise the creators from the negative side even further.

One thing I think this site can actively do is pull apart any negative media reports in forensic detail to illustrate how and where the report was crafted to manipulate thinking. The Roo versus McGuire event last week is a good example of not only how the media are able to manipulate your thinking, but also how skilled operators outside the media are able to manipulate your thinking through the clever use of the media.

This is a real pet subject of mine and I have long felt that the schools should be offering subjects that teach the next generation how to filter modern media.
I spend a lot of time with clients halping them with exactly this. You are right. Need to change the story.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

LOVE it!

howlinwolf
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:I don't get all this paranoia. Finey just looked ridiculous calling for Watters to be sacked and KB goes on a bit but it seems to have cooled off somewhat now. There are obviously some issues with the internal machinations at St Kilda as well as our list and the papers and radio talked them up a bit because people are interested in this stuff and they've got to talk about something for 20 hours a day. They've done the same with Collingwood Buckley rift, Brisbane, Melbourne has been hammered all year, Malthouses struggles with Carlton, Port were constantly labelled a basket case, GWS aren't developing etc. Dwarf gate put us squarely in footy fans consciousness as a club that is out of control. No ones fault but our own.
I don't get you think it's paranoia ?
The over the top beat up over the "school girl" issue was not paranoia.
SEN and the Herald Sun had no qualms with running headlines that were just not fact.
Then the lopsided defence of Essendope ad nauseum from Watson and Fine when there were actually facts but they tell us differently. Not balanced reporting by any stretch.
Dwarfgate,while stupid behaviour wasn't all it made out to be.

So we've had some issues to deal with but they haven't been on the scale as reported.
I have no doubt we cop more and over the top reporting than bigger clubs.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I've had a gutful of this negative crap emanating from the Herald Sun and SEN regarding our club.

Spot on Jiggster..I actually wish we would just announce a contract extension for Watters, show a united front, and focus on the goal of rebuilding a side to win a premiership.
I agree figs I, I reckon if they announced a contract extension for Watters that would help reduce some of this negative rubbish, but I am also sure they will find something else to cheap on about

I love this club