Surely we can get a forward off GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Surely we can get a forward off GWS

If GWS, as expected, get Tom Boyd, and then also Buddy Franklin, with Cameron and Patton, they will end up with a list of key forwards probably unprecedented at any club ever. It is actually astounding.

It was reported in the Age that Cameron would be happy to move to CHB to accommodate everyone, but to put an AA full forward at CHB just to make room seems rather absurd in itself.

Surely we can snare one of them? Any will do.

Kickit
Club Player

Re: Surely we can get a forward off GWS

They wont be in any great rush to get rid of them yet.
They'll get the value up higher, keep the best and get top dollar for the rejects.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

yeah even without Buddy, they would crazy not to take Boyd (assuming they don't trade it for players). Having watched some vision of Boyd recently I cant see him slipping to pick 3 at all. He looks the pick of the power forwards to have been drafted over the last 3 years.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Kickit
Club Player

Zed wrote:yeah even without Buddy, they would crazy not to take Boyd (assuming they don't trade it for players). Having watched some vision of Boyd recently I cant see him slipping to pick 3 at all. He looks the pick of the power forwards to have been drafted over the last 3 years.
So when Boyd becomes the clear FF, and Patton gets shitty for not getting a game, they trade him for a couple of round 1 picks.

FQF
SS Life Member

Kickit wrote:
Zed wrote:yeah even without Buddy, they would crazy not to take Boyd (assuming they don't trade it for players). Having watched some vision of Boyd recently I cant see him slipping to pick 3 at all. He looks the pick of the power forwards to have been drafted over the last 3 years.
So when Boyd becomes the clear FF, and Patton gets shitty for not getting a game, they trade him for a couple of round 1 picks.
Won't be worth anything near that if he isn't getting a game.

Kickit
Club Player

FQF wrote:
Kickit wrote:
Won't be worth anything near that if he isn't getting a game.
He'll get games.
But one of them will become the clear number one FF for them.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

WHY DOES everyone think that GWS will be an easy touch? Yeah they have some wonderful talent SO why would they want to release it. We are carrying on like the poor cousins visiting the rich relations and thinking they should just give us something because they have it !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
FQF
SS Life Member

WinnersOnly wrote:WHY DOES everyone think that GWS will be an easy touch? Yeah they have some wonderful talent SO why would they want to release it. We are carrying on like the poor cousins visiting the rich relations and thinking they should just give us something because they have it !
They might want to release them because no team would ever need four 195+cm power forwards, no matter how good they each are individually, when those players will have high currency to fill other gaps on their list.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:If GWS, as expected, get Tom Boyd, and then also Buddy Franklin, with Cameron and Patton, they will end up with a list of key forwards probably unprecedented at any club ever. It is actually astounding.

It was reported in the Age that Cameron would be happy to move to CHB to accommodate everyone, but to put an AA full forward at CHB just to make room seems rather absurd in itself.

Still think our 2004 forward line was ace:

Gehrig, Riewoldt, Kosi, Hamill, Milne, Guerra.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Kickit
Club Player

Munga wrote:
FQF wrote:If GWS, as expected, get Tom Boyd, and then also Buddy Franklin, with Cameron and Patton, they will end up with a list of key forwards probably unprecedented at any club ever. It is actually astounding.

Still think our 2004 forward line was ace:

Gehrig, Riewoldt, Kosi, Hamill, Milne, Guerra.
If only we had Schnieder instead of Guerra.

Kickit
Club Player

FQF wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:WHY DOES everyone think that GWS will be an easy touch? Yeah they have some wonderful talent SO why would they want to release it. We are carrying on like the poor cousins visiting the rich relations and thinking they should just give us something because they have it !
They might want to release them because no team would ever need four 195+cm power forwards, no matter how good they each are individually, when those players will have high currency to fill other gaps on their list.
That's true, but if they can hold onto them until they are finishing higher up the ladder they will be able to use the trades to improve their draft picks.
Right now they are really in a wait and see what happens phase.
Its hard to think that even the players they will need to delist to draft this year have been given a fair go.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Cameron is talking of playing down back, that would mean Jaksche and Aiden Corr will be waiting a long time for a game. They have davis and Mohr in front of them.

kimberly saint
Club Player

patton for ben , im telling you its a done deal

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote:patton for ben , im telling you its a done deal
Really? Or you wish? Reliable source directly connected to club or management?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
suss
Club Player

That's like having four Riewoldts in a forward line. Jesus. No wonder they want a ruckman, it's their only deficiency. That and time...

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

It's nice to think we can benefit from their embarressment of riches but a forward is the last thing that should be on the recruiters minds.

Lee has shown that he will go ok. We have Spencer White waiting in the wings with big wraps. Beau Namechange is handy on his day. We have smalls coming out of our ears.

If it's announced we've gone ahead and traded for a forward before a desperately needed defender or midfielder ill puke

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

We already did get a forward off GWS, he's called Tom Lee.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Hurricane wrote:It's nice to think we can benefit from their embarressment of riches but a forward is the last thing that should be on the recruiters minds.

Lee has shown that he will go ok. We have Spencer White waiting in the wings with big wraps. Beau Namechange is handy on his day. We have smalls coming out of our ears.

If it's announced we've gone ahead and traded for a forward before a desperately needed defender or midfielder ill puke

BANG BANG
Tommy Lee will be a much better player IMO if he can play as the 2nd tall & have another key forward to take some of the heat.

Spencer will be boom or bust IMO... Come to think of it, I reckon he'll benefit from being a freewheeling, up & down the ground target. We need a big rock for those two to play their natural game around.

Beau is purely & simply depth...

I think it's inevitable that we will take another key forward, be it this year or next year.

Adding Patton would be fantastic & give us a forward line to build the rest of the team around.

Comparing such a forward line to Hawthorns;

Lee plays the Gunston role
Patton plays the Roughhead role
White is Buddy Mark II

Kickit
Club Player

Gumby? but then there's the ASADA cloud.

lloyd21
Club Player

Would love Patton and think Mc Evoy is the key.

Like McEvoy a lot as a person , but the game is changing and they have recruited Pierce for the long term.

If Patton was available would take that in heartbeat.

Also Stkilda can get Adams very very easily , he does not agree to any trades , is delisted he then is picked up the same as Roberton from Fremantle***

***Player can not be traded unless agrees to terms as uncontracted. :D

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I've heard this too. From a fairly reliable source. Where there's smoke, there's fire......or a dwarf.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think if we trade McEvoy we will regret that decision in the next couple of years

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
gringo
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i think if we trade McEvoy we will regret that decision in the next couple of years

Possibly but could be a win win. We have Stanley and pierce to back up Hickey and get a super star forward. They get a leader and a potential a grade ruck.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:
I've heard this too. From a fairly reliable source. Where there's smoke, there's fire......or a dwarf.
Haha, needed a laugh tonight!

I wont believe anything until its signed off, but I would take that deal for sure.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
sainterinsydney
Club Player

If Buddy is going to GWS, and they also take Boyd, Patton would have to be on the trade table. If they are desperate for a decent, ready made ruckman, I think there are definitely legs to this rumour. A power forward is someone you can build a team around--I really hope this is true. It will get the membership going as well!