Keep Dal At Saints Campaign

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Newman
Club Player

Keep Dal At Saints Campaign

Not interested in a trade. I want to see Dal run out for his 300th game in 2015. Very likely as he's hardly missed a game. If he wants to stay ... I see keep him. I've already written my letters to to various people at the club and asked if they would PLEASE do all to keep him on as a Saint. I understand that we need to do some rebuilding but I think Dal Santo has been a great ambassador for the club. If you agree ... 'like' this thread and maybe we can pass onto club like the retired player tributes.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Keep Dal At Saints Campaign

Before Im 85
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

like!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
melton girl
Club Player

spiral3
Club Player

most definitely agree, after the amazing feeling and cultural boost of the Kosi, Blake, Milne retirement game I can't see any overwhelming benefit in trading Dal.
Culture and unity are far more important than a maybe defender and a maybe draft pick

spert
Saintsational Legend

Dal is a good bloke, but whatever it takes to win a premiership should be forefront in Sainter's minds

saintvic
Club Player

Agree :)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I admire Dal too, but sentiment never won a flag. Sorry folks, a fact of (AFL) life.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
spot on
Club Player

Keep him Scotty ! No draft picks are worth his service that he has gave us. Still hot some good footy ahead too

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

spot on wrote:Keep him Scotty ! No draft picks are worth his service that he has gave us. Still hot some good footy ahead too
What rubbish. If we could get pick 15 or better we'd be mad not to consider it.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lets wait and say whats on offer first.
I'm interested in the next opportunity to win the flag not feeling comforted by the last one.

Dal is a top bloke no doubts - but if we making decision based on feeling good for 5 minutes when Dal runs out and plays his 300th in 2015 or a few minutes of 'tribute games' for the class of 09 - well thats not something I want a part of.

I'm more interested in how I am going to feel during 4,500 minutes of actual football we will play in 2015 & 2016.

Romancing and reminiscing about the 'good old days' of 09/10 aint going to make me feel good and it is not going to attract a new generation of Saints fans and the new sponsors we so desperately need. If we don't embrace the future we may perish because the present isnt that flash.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm in,

Start a twitter campaign to his address, easy as.

#pleasestaydal can be the hashtag, I'll start the ball rolling

class of 2010
Club Player

I agree, if in 2015 we see dal, roo and joey running out for their 300ths and 250ths and all retiring together a la this years champions it could help grow momentum into a developing team in 2016 and hopefully lay the foundations for a premiership winning side.

I see it as a building block; in the early 2000s the 1997ish side taught the next generation what it took to lead st. kilda to success. Whilst we didnt quite achieve the end goal we had our most successful decade ever.

The next generation of saints, with the "best" generation of saints coming before them would have the opportunity to build to that elusive 2nd premiership. Whilst trading out dal may have the short term benefit of accelerating getting young talent to the club it also dilutes the fabric of the club. Creating an atmosphere of pride in the club is key to motivating the playing group for success.

oh when the saints
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I'm in,

Start a twitter campaign to his address, easy as.

#pleasestaydal can be the hashtag, I'll start the ball rolling
His twitter address is @NickDalSanto :)

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Our most recent "power" era followed immediately after the well-orchestrated public retirements of Loewe in 2002 and Burke in 2003. The ritual is morale boosting, reinforces a culture of respect, and should never be underestimated.

Dal deserves a similar send off, even if he never plays in another final (although I have a feeling he might last until our next finals appearance).

You get rid of your ordinary blokes, as Collingwood has just done. You shouldn't get rid of players who are (a) exceptionally skilled, (b) loyal servants, (c) good media performers, (d) popular within the club and (e) good blokes.

Kickit
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Our most recent "power" era followed immediately after the well-orchestrated public retirements of Loewe in 2002 and Burke in 2003. The ritual is morale boosting, reinforces a culture of respect, and should never be underestimated.

Dal deserves a similar send off, even if he never plays in another final (although I have a feeling he might last until our next finals appearance).

You get rid of your ordinary blokes, as Collingwood has just done. You shouldn't get rid of players who are (a) exceptionally skilled, (b) loyal servants, (c) good media performers, (d) popular within the club and (e) good blokes.

I'd love to have him still in the team next time we play finals. Half back flanker Dal Santo would be pretty OK.
But I'm also not phased if he wants to go elsewhere, as long as the team get something back.

If we lose him for next to nothing I'm not a happy camper.

busso mick
Club Player

Like.

If he wants to stay then he should. There is absolutely no proof that trading Dal will increase our chance of fast-tracking our next premiership.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

One point that seems to have been overlooked is his form over the season. In SOME games the guy just did not look interested (IMHO) and if it takes us hanging on to blokes just to give them a "good send off" to get us in the right frame of mind, then I'm wondering why we're yet to see a flag?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:One point that seems to have been overlooked is his form over the season. In SOME games the guy just did not look interested (IMHO) and if it takes us hanging on to blokes just to give them a "good send off" to get us in the right frame of mind, then I'm wondering why we're yet to see a flag?
Ahh the voice of reason. I'm sure you like Dal the player like I. But maybe he's lost his passion

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He was carrying something this year, couldn't walk up the stairs the other night.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:He was carrying something this year, couldn't walk up the stairs the other night.

Dal was fine this year.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Dal hasn't lost his passion he has always played with a laconic style. I think he loves the club and should be allowed to stay.

One year will be our year
maverick
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:He was carrying something this year, couldn't walk up the stairs the other night.
H'e just had an OP.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Like.....must keep

Greg T
Club Player

Like..providing he really wants to stay which seems the case.
He's got good currency on the market , but still feel he is valuable to our club.
I think the club wants him to stay especially for the young folk...

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key