3aw 5/9

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

3aw 5/9

so we had michael nettlefold on last night, and then a number of callers. one caller in particular disturbed me.
he stated he said the saints were a rabble, debt ridden, will get the wooden spoon, all the young players hate Scott Watters (how he would know I don't know) and top jobs were given out to their mates.

now that last bit sounds like in the 80's and i am unsure of that unless he is talking only about the the new president?

what does everyone think?

if you heard Finey last night, he was gong off abouttthe the dwarf, said basically that that from what he knew what had happened. that ACA left stuff out, and rejigged the story to make it bigger then it was as well as johnson getting paid for it.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re: 3aw 5/9

It's hard to argue that we are not a rabble. What have we got to show otherwise?

#1 Ryder fan
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If you subscribe to the rabble notion or otherwise, it's certainly the perception.

They've come down hard by all accounts, no drinking tonight, end of season trips tinkered with.

Punishing after the fact is all well and good, but you'd much prefer our club is on top of things before it joist rabble point.

I've heard older players aren't super keen on Scott, which doesn't bother me much.

Young guys like Gears, Armo, Steven, Newnes, Saunders, Hickey seem to be coming on well and content enough.

Maybe not if you speak to Ledger, who all the boys joked got the most sprays.

(Dal too, which may explain a bit)

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I only caught the 2nd half of the interview and Michael Nettlefold was making it VERY CLEAR that the club is LIVID with this and that it won't be tolerated in future. You have to really feel for Michael & others at the club who have worked their butts off through controversy after controversy trying portray OUR club as being a PROFESSIONAL OUTFIT only to have acts of stupidity like this undo it it all in about 2 seconds !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Believing anything you hear on talkback radio is your first mistake.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

A rabble??

What? We've just played finals for a decade, played in 3 Grand Finals, and during a severe rebuilding phase (with injury problems) won 5 games.

A rabble?? What planet are some people on?

Sainterman
Club Player

Eastern wrote:I only caught the 2nd half of the interview and Michael Nettlefold was making it VERY CLEAR that the club is LIVID with this and that it won't be tolerated in future. You have to really feel for Michael & others at the club who have worked their butts off through controversy after controversy trying portray OUR club as being a PROFESSIONAL OUTFIT only to have acts of stupidity like this undo it it all in about 2 seconds !!

I just can't help but wonder, with Nettlefold and the club being so professional, whether we had someone sober at the Mad Monday event making sure things like setting team mates and the strange choice of entertainment on fire didn't happen.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Society is a rabble. The Saints will be fine. You can't even fart any more without it getting into the media and then the do gooders will be upset about its effect on global warming.

Johnny Member wrote:A rabble??

What? We've just played finals for a decade, played in 3 Grand Finals, and during a severe rebuilding phase (with injury problems) won 5 games.

A rabble?? What planet are some people on?
Planet WAAH WAAH

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I only caught the 2nd half of the interview and Michael Nettlefold was making it VERY CLEAR that the club is LIVID with this and that it won't be tolerated in future. You have to really feel for Michael & others at the club who have worked their butts off through controversy after controversy trying portray OUR club as being a PROFESSIONAL OUTFIT only to have acts of stupidity like this undo it it all in about 2 seconds !!

I, for the life, cannot understand how any of this 'off-field' stuff suggests or portrays the club as unprofessional.

It staggers me.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You care enough to always be posing about this stuff johnny...if its no big deal, no need for you to be here defending them all the time.

Chillax.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Not sure if I'm defending them - or bagging those who seem to live their own lives through the public perception of the club.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

It all comes down to the fact clint jones is an idiot.
If he didn't do what he did we wouldn't be talking about it.
He is just well below average intelligence.
Probably not far off disabled himself.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Not sure if I'm defending them - or bagging those who seem to live their own lives through the public perception of the club.
You have an awful lot to say about it for someone who doesn't care.

I'm here for the convo, talking to fellow sainters about stuff, a bit of banter...most are, don't take it so serious.

The club doesn't share your view this time, just reading on Bigfooty that members that complained have received sorry calls from senior players.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

I, for the life, cannot understand how any of this 'off-field' stuff suggests or portrays the club as unprofessional.

It staggers me.
It's all about PERCEPTION. And we all know that PERCEPTION can be sometimes more powerful than REALITY !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:It all comes down to the fact clint jones is an idiot.
If he didn't do what he did we wouldn't be talking about it.
He is just well below average intelligence.
Probably not far off disabled himself.
Nobody disputes that Clint Jones acted like an idiot but that sort of comment is uncalled for.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

You see Con, I agree.

And that's the reason I get so baffled about the hysteria around these sorts of things.

These dudes are not employed for their intellect. They don't do an IQ test at draft camp.

People want their football club to win football matches. Coaches, and players are sacked if they don't.

So a club's sole business is to win football matches. In order to do this, they need to exist. In order to exist, they need money.

So making money, and being 'big', is not what a club is meant to be doing. They're aiming to win games.

Somewhere along the line, supporters have been conned into 'barracking' for their club off-field. Like supporting a successful club, somehow is a reflection of you.

**Newsflash**: It's not.

If Clint Jones is a d**khead. If Leigh Montagna is a s*** bloke. If Nick Reiwoldt is greedy. If Sam Gilbert lets his girlfriend use the web on his PC. If Nick Dal Santo flogs himself in his hotel room. If one of his mates takes a photo of it.

None of this, has any relevance to the club winning footy games. None of it.

None of it reflects on the supporters.

None of it reflects on the club and those who are employed for their minds and their business skills.

It reflects on the players as people. And it reflects on their parents.

If anyone emotionally 'supports' these guys as people, without knowing them personally, simply because they wear a Saints jumper each week - then frankly you're either a teenage groupy, or a d**khead that needs to get a grip on reality.

To think a sporting organisation in the biggest code in the country, that has been around for over 100 years, that has played finals for the last decade, that has played in 3 GFs, that has produced multiple AA players, that has produced Brownlow Medallists, that has just built multi-million state of the art facilities, that 10s of thousands of people watch play each week, is a 'rabble' because one or a few players are dickheads during their own time - is seriously the height of idiocy.

savatage
SS Life Member

Beno88 wrote:Believing anything you hear on talkback radio is your first mistake.
Logic.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Not sure if I'm defending them - or bagging those who seem to live their own lives through the public perception of the club.
You have an awful lot to say about it for someone who doesn't care.

I'm here for the convo, talking to fellow sainters about stuff, a bit of banter...most are, don't take it so serious.

The club doesn't share your view this time, just reading on Bigfooty that members that complained have received sorry calls from senior players.

The entire context of my posting on these topics is "don't take it so serious."

That's precisely what I'm saying. Get a grip. Get some perspective.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

To me we are and have been a rabble off field not all through our own fault but they are our players Rooey,Dal,Milne,Gram ,Lovett,Nixon,Fisher?,Jones and Joey!

PADDLEPOP1000
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

That's precisely what I'm saying.

Nobody really has lost a grip.

It's just banter for the most part, nothing else to talk about.

Me personally, I just get itchy fingers cause my ego reckons it could run that place better ;)

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:That's precisely what I'm saying.

Nobody really has lost a grip.

It's just banter for the most part, nothing else to talk about.

Me personally, I just get itchy fingers cause my ego reckons it could run that place better ;)

It's hysterical nonsense, that what it is.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

As a club St. Kilda does a great job maintaining it's reputation.

Netters can spin like a spider but it's all spin.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Even i didn't beliw the bit about the rabble, but I was concered about the Huge Debts, jobs for the boys and noone liking Watters

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:Even i didn't beliw the bit about the rabble, but I was concered about the Huge Debts, jobs for the boys and noone liking Watters

Why?

If you have debt - the AFL will sling you a couple of million, then you get priority picks and can pay a coach $1.5m to come and save the day!