Sainters keep the faith

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bbm
Club Player

Sainters keep the faith

it's hard to watch this again but we must keep the faith and stick tight. We are undermanned and are in for some tough seasons ahead. I know we all need to let our frustrations out and sometimes that means bag the players coach etc.

I think we are in good hands with Watters - we have been fairly competitive for most games -and they generally have a a good crack in most games. the turn around will take time - who knows how long - but as supporters all we can do is hope, support, and get in behind the people who are currently in charge.

I'm 48 and haven't seen a flag and wonder sometimes if I ever will - but that won't stop me barracking as hard as I can - being loyal and never giving up.

in my opinion everyone is tradeable if it means we can recruit younger, and better players in the long run - I don't care because it's a team game and every saints supporter needs tone rewarded eventually.

in adversity some people/clubs shine - stick at it Loyal Sainters.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Re: Sainters keep the faith

all moves in cycles guys we will be back up the top again playing great footy... it's not if but when.... cycles

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely. Never give up on the Saints. Ever. All the crap we've endured will only make us stronger as supporters. I've come this far as a supporter and there's no point in turning my back on the most resilient football club in history.

It'll be a golden day when we finally get our glory and all the past disappointments will be forgotten.

FORTIUS QUO FIDELIUS!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

good postt...

it will be difficult to keep the faith

we will be a bottom 3 side 2014,2015 and 2016

Hayes will retire, Milne will reire, Riewoldt will have to retire soon.We have no upcoming talent.

stanley is soft
sipposs is useless
saad has fallen into the abyss
milera is soft and as a result all his talent is wasted
armitage cant kick
jak steven, though fast and tries hard shanks it too much

it s misery and pain awaiting this club for the forseeable future.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Reckon we've been building to a thrashing.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

No.

It is much easier to just come on and pot players calling them soft. Or come on triumphantly claiming Jack Stevn is a dud, or even better, demand we sack the coach and we have the worst in the AFL.

Wouldn't you rather carry on like a child denied their lollies and have a big dummy spit than actually support the team and the club?

Easy to support them when they were up for ten years. Time to just pot them and all of us to be sad sacks and whine about how bad they are.

Cant expect supporters to actually support them when they are no good. thats not what support is about. Apparently support is to continually pot the players, team, club, coach and management.

Dont you get it?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

All aboard the reality bus :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Reckon we've been building to a thrashing.
Yep. Bottom 3 playing possibly this years premiers at their fortress whos players look like monsters next to most of our skinny kids. We lose Roo and Gwilt.

howlinwolf
Club Player

bbm wrote:it's hard to watch this again but we must keep the faith and stick tight. We are undermanned and are in for some tough seasons ahead. I know we all need to let our frustrations out and sometimes that means bag the players coach etc.

I think we are in good hands with Watters - we have been fairly competitive for most games -and they generally have a a good crack in most games. the turn around will take time - who knows how long - but as supporters all we can do is hope, support, and get in behind the people who are currently in charge.

I'm 48 and haven't seen a flag and wonder sometimes if I ever will - but that won't stop me barracking as hard as I can - being loyal and never giving up.

in my opinion everyone is tradeable if it means we can recruit younger, and better players in the long run - I don't care because it's a team game and every saints supporter needs tone rewarded eventually.

in adversity some people/clubs shine - stick at it Loyal Sainters.
I agree.
I think there were some real positives tonight.
We were obviously out gunned down back big time. Hawkins is a monster, add Pods and Vardy and we're behind the 8 ball.
Up until 3/4 time our clearances, tackles and contested ball weren't far off theirs but the inside 50's were grossly out balanced. Something like 51 to 19.
That put an undersized backline under extreme pressure.

On the positive side. we're in a state of rebuild. Full on. They are a premiership chance. It was their dung hill.
We competed well until we were overwhelmed.
Jack Steven looks A grade now !!
I reckon he was close to best on ground in a 100+ defeat.
Dal,Monty and Geary played well and gave their all.
Hickey clunks a few good grabs and i think for a 20 yo there is lots of potential.
Tom Lee looks a keeper.
All the kids will be better for that experience. Seeing the best on their turf.
Something to aspire to.

(Is BBM... Baker, Bruce and Moore ?) :wink:

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No coincidence that Lee Saunders Newnes played well in the first quarter...

howlinwolf
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Reckon we've been building to a thrashing.
Never a truer word spoken. We have indeed and we got it.
Your man gave it everything though. Well done Gears.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I intend to upgrade my membership in 2014 (if God spares me) Because of economics it was necessary for me to downgrade to an 11-game membership for this year. As soon as the renewals are sent out I intend to go for a 16-game, reserved seat, membership again. Sorry Ralphsmith you're just a wee bit TOO negative for me to go along with your view that we'll be bottom 3 for the next three seasons. While its hard to argue with the facts you cite, You're not taking into account the talents of the coach and football director Chris Pelchen to begin getting us competitive in a relatively short space of time. I'm NOT saying we will be playing-off for a flag anytime soon, but I believe that we will see progress (albeit slow) rather than the scenario you put forward.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Basil Zempilas for coach. That bloke has the goods. He's a fantastic communicator and doesn't sound like a tosspot at all.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I intend to upgrade my membership in 2014 (if God spares me) Because of economics it was necessary for me to downgrade to an 11-game membership for this year. As soon as the renewals are sent out I intend to go for a 16-game, reserved seat, membership again. Sorry Ralphsmith you're just a wee bit TOO negative for me to go along with your view that we'll be bottom 3 for the next three seasons. While its hard to argue with the facts you cite, You're not taking into account the talents of the coach and football director Chris Pelchen to begin getting us competitive in a relatively short space of time. I'm NOT saying we will be playing-off for a flag anytime soon, but I believe that we will see progress (albeit slow) rather than the scenario you put forward.

Well said jiggler. We got absolutely belted tonight. Flogged. However we got mauled by a far bigger stronger team who applied intense pressure, then banged it long and high to their forward monsters.

Our backline was terribly undermanned and when Gwilt went down it was even worse. Then Roo and Lenny got injured.

Not making excuses, our disposal was appalling, but really would we have been flogged if we had Fish, and Gilbert, and Gwilt with Stanley in the ruck or forward, Schneider running about etc?

probably by 6 or 7 goals but not by 17.

I have supported this team for 47 years. Through the worst of the 80's and the early 2000's.

I think some of the younger supporters have had it too easily and dont know what real support is.

Well now is the time. I'll never give up on my team.

I'll never outright bag and disrespect our players, be dissapointed and critisise their game? yes, but the personalised crap I read on here from supposed supporters (rampant egotists or sad little people whose self worth is wrapped up in the results of their football team) really show their lack of character and committment.

Support the Saints and keep the faith.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Posters always vent after a bad loss, by midweek, somehow, they reposition the rose coloured glasses and everything is good in the footy world.

That is an admirable quality of long, long, long suffering Saints supporters, vent away, it's going to be awhile until we climb above crapola

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
but the personalised crap I read on here from supposed supporters (rampant egotists or sad little people whose self worth is wrapped up in the results of their football team) really show their lack of character and committment.
and a lack of self esteem.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I reckon there's not a lot of hardship in taking up membership when the club are on a roll, like say...2004-2010; regular finals appearances, and just missing out in 2007 and 2012. However, it's when the wheels are looking decidedly wobbly and things are not so good results-wise that the club need us MORE THAN EVER! I joined in 2000, (when we finished 16th coincidentally) and apart from wee grizzles from time-to-time with aspects of the membership team, have NEVER regretted my decision to put my money where my mouth was! HANG TOUGH FOLKS!!! it WILL get better!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Actually good point about the younger supporters. It hadn't occurred to me that BM and WO are kids. It all makes sense now.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Actually good point about the younger supporters. It hadn't occurred to me that BM and WO are kids. It all makes sense now.
Good work on sticking up for the players Cairnsman. Also, good one on taking on the scum bag supporters in Cairns when they had a go at Milne.

Credit where credit is due.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was fortunately out to dinner but last I heard we were in the match still. I was in a bit of shock at the result but if I had to miss a match this season this was a good one. Looks like Jack Steven had a killer game at least 37 disposals is a fair effort against the cats.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:No.

It is much easier to just come on and pot players calling them soft. Or come on triumphantly claiming Jack Stevn is a dud, or even better, demand we sack the coach and we have the worst in the AFL.

Wouldn't you rather carry on like a child denied their lollies and have a big dummy spit than actually support the team and the club?

Easy to support them when they were up for ten years. Time to just pot them and all of us to be sad sacks and whine about how bad they are.

Cant expect supporters to actually support them when they are no good. thats not what support is about. Apparently support is to continually pot the players, team, club, coach and management.

Dont you get it?
i'm sick of it... sick of the fickle so called saint supporters on this site. that love bleeding misery. That can't understand that we have ups and downs. Blame everything aprt form the fact that we going to have redevelop a team. Same people crying sack this sack that.. He’s crap he's soft.. Trade him trade them... where saying this same dribble in 06 and in 02/03.. Man up accept where we are at and take it on your chin till be rise again... I heard all this talk in 06 07 where this where that... then comes 08 09 10... yes we missed the big prize but we will get it again one day.

There’s a heap of positives, jeez we just played the cats at skilled... not like Melbourne just flogged us. in 07 they flogged a developing tigers by more than 150 points.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I can remember being at Kardinia park in 2002 (when it was called Skilled Schithole) and us getting FLOGGED by 122 points. It hurt. I was embarrassed and angry. I felt sick to my stomach with the efforts. The one thing I never felt was a need to call for the coach to be sacked or to bag the players. It was a BAD loss during a period of rebuilding, similar in some ways to this one. A short two years later we won our first trophy in 8 years, won the first ten games of the H & A and played off in a PF at Adelaide! KEEP THE FAITH!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Actually good point about the younger supporters. It hadn't occurred to me that BM and WO are kids. It all makes sense now.
Good work on sticking up for the players Cairnsman. Also, good one on taking on the scum bag supporters in Cairns when they had a go at Milne.

Credit where credit is due.
Thanks. I just don't get the whole sack the coach thing. Ok so we are only 3 wins but this was always on the cards and we need stability over the next few years and mindless coach bashing or bashing young players that could still be a big part of the future is like poking yourself in the eyes as far as I'm concerned.

I also don't mind having a crack back at the tools that clearly love coming on here after a loss and posting antagonistic statements. It's a sport within a sport.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I can remember being at Kardinia park in 2002 (when it was called Skilled Schithole) and us getting FLOGGED by 122 points. It hurt. I was embarrassed and angry. I felt sick to my stomach with the efforts. The one thing I never felt was a need to call for the coach to be sacked or to bag the players. It was a BAD loss during a period of rebuilding, similar in some ways to this one. A short two years later we won our first trophy in 8 years, won the first ten games of the H & A and played off in a PF at Adelaide! KEEP THE FAITH!
Hey Jiggster, check out my post in the Great Game post, just posted the stats from that game and asked if we should have sacked the coach then and trade some of the players.
Yes it hurts, but I was expecting to get thrashed, so it came as no surprise, and was just a little excited in the 1st quarter because I though we just might make a bit of game of it.
Wasn't to be sadly.
Yes I'll be renewing my membership, if I could afford it I'd get a spare one with the seat next to my reserved seat, which has been empty all these years, so I'd have a seat for my brother when he comes down from Sydney, or for my wife.
Now is the time to buy memberships, because this is where the club can remain strong and you have the excitement like we had to see a great team be built and crawl their way back to the top and into contention.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

It's like we're in the early eighties again. Loved the early eighties (away from the footy field anyway)!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "