Rory Sloane

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Rory Sloane

Crows looking to trade to get an early pick - Rory Sloanes name being thrown around. Interesting but not sure I want to give up our first pick for him. Anybody disagree ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rory Sloane

He's stated he wants to remain a crow, loves Sanderson and Dangerfield.

Very good player

SunburySaint
Club Player

was a saints fan growing up and still loves the saints...... Also loves and is happy at the Crows, doubt he will leave...

Now lives in Geelong...
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Yeah read that article.
Would love him at the saints. One of my favorite players.
Was a sainter as a kid but from all reports is very happy at the crows.

Richter
SS Life Member

I'd happily snap him up for our 2nd rounder... likely to be in the early 20s...

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
gosaints
Club Player

Star but would cost us more than we are willing to offer.

Siposstar#2
Club Player

Would trade pick 3 for him straight away.
Unfortunately the crows want pick 1

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

hes perfect for us - but i dont see any way we could get him
(maybe macca + pick 22 would get it done.... but cant see that happening)

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Is worth a top 10 pick...

Not our top 10 pick however...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would do it. You get a genuine ready to go A grader. He is only behind Dangerfield at the crows and will continue to play good footy for another 8 years. All draft picks are risky that is a good deal for us.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

the crows definitely want this matt scharenberg bloke...

for us it would come down to sloan v aish?

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't want to give away pick 3 but maybe the pelican could whip up some sort of multi again. Gun
Player worth a top 10 IMO

#1 Ryder fan
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Tough call. I certainly rate him but not as much as others on here. I wouldn't part with a top 5 pick for Sloane I just don't value him that highly. Perhaps a pick around 10. If Dal Santo did leave as a FA (not sure if he can based on his contract status) we would likely get a second rounder for him (around 22). Combine our second rounder with Dal Santo compo (picks 21 and 22) and trade for one lower pick then on-trade that pick for Sloane. I'm not sure this rumour has legs though. Is the rumour the Crows are offering him up or has Sloane asked for a trade? His value changes under different circumstances.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:the crows definitely want this matt scharenberg bloke...

for us it would come down to sloan v aish?
Aish everyday of the week, Con. Where did you hear/read the rumour the Crows want Sharenberg? I understand he'd make a good fit given he's a South Aussie and fits a need down back for them.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Siposstar#2 wrote:Would trade pick 3 for him straight away.
Unfortunately the crows want pick 1

jesus I wouldn't :shock: :shock:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Not pick three.
Not worth that high a pick IMO
Maybe something like ten or twelve?.... I'd consider that

gringo
Saintsational Legend

What if you got another Richard Tambling with pick three. He is elite and young. Takes some of the variables away. Scharamberg is a gun and he will do otherwise.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Interesting comparing Steven and Sloane's careers. Steven selected at pick 42 in the 2007 draft as an under-ager and Sloane pick 44 in the 2008 draft. Both born in March 1990 and played similar amount of games. Steven 65, Sloane 71. At a glance without getting into all the stats this season, Steven is tracking slightly better averaging a few more touches, slightly above in tackles and goals. Almost dead-even though.

It just shows how underrated Steven is considering the praise Sloane receives. Of course I'm slightly biased and watch more Saints games than Crows games but I reckon Steven is the more damaging of the two and I'd have him just above Sloane. Geez the more I think about it how good would it be having Sloane alongside Steven in the centre bounces? Still don't reckon he's worth pick 3 though, not even close unfortunately.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:Interesting comparing Steven and Sloane's careers. Steven selected at pick 42 in the 2007 draft as an under-ager and Sloane pick 44 in the 2008 draft. Both born in March 1990 and played similar amount of games. Steven 65, Sloane 71. At a glance without getting into all the stats this season, Steven is tracking slightly better averaging a few more touches, slightly above in tackles and goals. Almost dead-even though.

It just shows how underrated Steven is considering the praise Sloane receives. Of course I'm slightly biased and watch more Saints games than Crows games but I reckon Steven is the more damaging of the two and I'd have him just above Sloane. Geez the more I think about it how good would it be having Sloane alongside Steven in the centre bounces? Still don't reckon he's worth pick 3 though, not even close unfortunately.
Steven is better than Sloane IMO, and will be a lot better in 3 years time, when I expect Steven to be a top 5 mid in the comp, considering his skill-set, drive and tenacity..

Question marks on Sloane kicking too, more so than Steven, who is improving by foot very rapidly... Or perhaps he's just gaining confidence, more likely...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Serious?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Interesting comparing Steven and Sloane's careers. Steven selected at pick 42 in the 2007 draft as an under-ager and Sloane pick 44 in the 2008 draft. Both born in March 1990 and played similar amount of games. Steven 65, Sloane 71. At a glance without getting into all the stats this season, Steven is tracking slightly better averaging a few more touches, slightly above in tackles and goals. Almost dead-even though.

Steven is better than Sloane IMO, and will be a lot better in 3 years time, when I expect Steven to be a top 5 mid in the comp, considering his skill-set, drive and tenacity..

Question marks on Sloane kicking too, more so than Steven, who is improving by foot very rapidly... Or perhaps he's just gaining confidence, more likely...
Can't argue with that. I'm only really starting to rate Steven's output this year and taking notice of him.

Looking at the 2007 draft, it's only Cotchin and Dangerfield who stand above Steven in terms of midfield talent taken from that draft. There's a few other mids around his mark - Callan Ward, Scott Selwood and Brad Ebert - then non-mids - Rioli, McEvoy, Henderson, Walker, Taylor and Reid. I believe Steven is tracking inside the lower half of the top 10 players from that draft. Not bad for pick 42.

Rosco
Club Player

Callan Ward is very good, I'd have him ahead of Jack S

Richter
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:Not pick three.
Not worth that high a pick IMO
Maybe something like ten or twelve?.... I'd consider that
Yep.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Would anyone do:

Talia and Sloane (two genuine guns and exactly what we need) plus pick 44/45/46 (their first pick

for

Our pick 3, 20, 38 and a player (either under 21 or post 27 years age)

Gives Adelaide draft picks (they are out of the draft 2 rounds otherwise)

It accelerates our rebuild filling our immediate need - genuine 196cm defender and jet in and under midfielder

Midfield of built around Steven, Armo and Sloane would be good for 6 to 7 years.

Then next year we target Patton from GWS for a trade ... after his recovery and after he has to play 3rd string to Franklin / Cameron when he is back in 2014.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Munga
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Would anyone do:

Talia and Sloane (two genuine guns and exactly what we need) plus pick 44/45/46 (their first pick

for

Our pick 3, 20, 38 and a player (either under 21 or post 27 years age)
Pretty much. I'd prefer another hard ball getter to replace Lenny, but Sloane is still a tough nut. And Talia, gun.
I'd give our 1st, 2nd and 3rd pick for Talia, Sloane and one of their picks.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"