Forum Makeover - TOPIC RE-OPENED FOR REVIEW

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Forum Makeover

Whilst I don't know you, Simon, or the owners, anything that can be done to improve this site has my tick as well.

The technical side of who owns what, and who controls what would have to debated amongst the people who are in the know.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
Buckets wrote:Has this been posted on BigFooty Saints Forum?
This is an important suggestion. There are many great Saints posters over at the Saints BF site who wont come here because of the infighting.

There is a them and us attitude. If SS changes for the better i am sure we can get some of those quality posters from BF to have a look and maybe contribute.

Doesn't need to take traffic away from either site as we all benefit with more of us discussing the relevant Saints topics.

Stkildathunda's site is the same.

We need to pull our resources together and have more quality and less back biting.

I think this is a golden opportunity to clean up the firum, attract other Saints fans from other forums, and some rusted on SS'ers to look at the other forums.

A "fight" forum was used at BF (BAy13) but has been discarded over there. If they cant do it with their plethora of mods, I think itmay be a strain over on this forum.

Again, congrats BFUSA for taking the bull by the horns,. Goodwill allround from most and everyone wants a revamp.
I dont actually have anything to do with TrueSainters anymore, I left there at end last season.

I've always thought it would be awesome if all 3 sites were able to "get along" and I back in my days on TS we never really tried to make it "us against them" as reckon there is big enough audience to market it. But posters form their own ideas and thoughts and not much you can do with that. BigFooty are extremely tight arses about promoting outside websites, so not sure how long it would actually last if mentioned over there, and well it would probably turn into one usual threads about SS, same as if BF thread is ever started on here.

There's no doubting SS has the biggest amount of traffic and active contributing members, but think the "infighting" does put quite few people off, mainly the older generation. If SS can get back upto way it used to be, its only a good thing cos the more places that talk about our great club the better. The benefits far exceed just the actual forum.

FWIW, social media has killed off a lot of forum activity (in general) and for SS to be successful again IMO what ever changes the first and most important step is to embrace the world of social media. That means having one or two people that can start discussions and keep them going on Facebook and Twitter, but they need to be upto date with what they post. No point being 10hours behind in news, and cant flood peoples feeds (sure fire way to get people to block or hide what you post). Doesnt mean you have to always post links back to website, but just be active on all platforms. You'll probably be surprised at how quickly the "brand" of SS can grow and the perception change dramatically.

A new and improved Saintsational would be a good thing for everyone and all sites IMO.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

We need you thunda… would you get involved?

p.s. why did you leave truesainters?

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Principle of Q'uo wrote:its not my fault YOU cannot read n comprehend gramps.

... i take great care in presenting my thoughts articularly n without a 'this is how it is or should be' mindset.

i clearly argue for INTERDEPENDANCE
not dependance or independance.

basically , pull out a dictionary ,
learn the difference ,
n shove your intellectual disrespect up your arse.
Touche Gaz. :wink:

It may not be your fault, but it doesn't help when you post in haikus.

I'm sure that you do not verbally converse in such fashion.

Just post what you would say normally mate.

Help out a poor old fella to understand.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

THE FOLLOWING POST RESULTED IN A WARNING TO THE POSTER

THIS WAS AFTER THE POSTER REFUSED THE OPTION TO REMOVE THE POST OR HAVE THE POST EDITED TO REMOVE COMMENTS THAT BREACHED FORUM RULES.

the following is an example of how i do not communicate
face to face.

a) what 'fashion' u idiot ?

b) what ? .... help you comprehend plain english !
would you like me to heal the lame and the lost
as well as the lazy.

c) you are SURE i dont communicate as i express
but you cannot be **** bothered reading whats written
properly the first time before reeling out your ongoing condemation of my style.

d) the lowest common denominator i will leave for you to champion ,
You are so good at it :)

e) evolution is a personal responsibilty
therefore choose to drop your intellectual driven egoic positioning
n open your **** heart.

f) attempt understanding grasshopper ,
growth before hypocracy.

g) touche is french not japanese.

the following is an example of how i communicate face to face

a) listening , both externally n internally
b) maintaining open lines of communication
(even when dealing with the dull n ignorant)
c) paying attention by being present
d) asking questions
e) seeing / knowing that i am dealing with another human being
f) from a space of kindness n compassion that SEEKS to **** understand.

got the picture caveman ?

thankyou for this opportunity to practice my seemingly much needed
communication skills ... sincerely

i"d finish with a tittie or and arse joke
but as we all know
someone else is king of that domain.

good luck with becoming a fully involved member of humanity.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:We need you thunda… would you get involved?

p.s. why did you leave truesainters?
I'd be happy to try help out a little if people wanted.

Left cos just didnt have the time anymore, my work with Sandringham and TrueZebras takes up quite bit time (in between work etc) so thought was best if i stepped back from TS.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Classic. A thread about improving the site becomes a chance for people to start flinging insults. There, your honour, is your problem.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

As for the ideas, I thought I had posted earlier but cannot see the post anywhere.

With respect, you need to build from the foundations up, even with a rebuild. The site has fallen in status and conduct in the last couple of years because the owners & moderators either aren't here or don't give a s***. You want to improve? Improve them. Follow the rules and implement them. Once you have those foundations stones in place, you can add to the structure with the bells and whistles that will make this place great again.

Have a proper News forum, for example. Saintbrat would be a great person to run a forum where we would go for all news and announcements regarding StKFC. Adding multimedia facilities and the like would also enhance the site.

But I stress, implementation of the rules and the Mods should be first, second and third on the agenda.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

Principle of Q'uo wrote:the following is an example of how i do not communicate
face to face.

a) what 'fashion' u idiot ?

b) what ? .... help you comprehend plain english !
would you like me to heal the lame and the lost
as well as the lazy.

c) you are SURE i dont communicate as i express
but you cannot be **** bothered reading whats written
properly the first time before reeling out your ongoing condemation of my style.

d) the lowest common denominator i will leave for you to champion ,
You are so good at it :)

e) evolution is a personal responsibilty
therefore choose to drop your intellectual driven egoic positioning
n open your **** heart.

f) attempt understanding grasshopper ,
growth before hypocracy.

g) touche is french not japanese.

the following is an example of how i communicate face to face

a) listening , both externally n internally
b) maintaining open lines of communication
(even when dealing with the dull n ignorant)
c) paying attention by being present
d) asking questions
e) seeing / knowing that i am dealing with another human being
f) from a space of kindness n compassion that SEEKS to **** understand.

got the picture caveman ?

thankyou for this opportunity to practice my seemingly much needed
communication skills ... sincerely

i"d finish with a tittie or and arse joke
but as we all know
someone else is king of that domain.

good luck with becoming a fully involved member of humanity.
This thread is about improving the forum.

Therefore I decline to take your bait.

Go in peace, brother.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Reasonable comments PoQ. The GF could be a good forum for discussions, and its not always the Mods responsibility to make sure it's discussions and debates don't get into the realms of abuse etc. THAT responsibility lies with US! in being reasonable in our choices of terms and language when addressing each other. As I've said, I'm as guilty of mischief making and causing hassle as anyone, but have CHANGED after some wise words of criticism from another poster who I had the utmost respect for.
don't mention it mate...all good.... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

it is about improving the forum gramps.

... its a pity YOU took it off track with your initial slander.

but none the less ... Peace , also to you.

bye.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

OPENING COMMENT BREACHED FORUM RULES AND HAS BEEN REMOVED BY MOD WITH PERMISSION OF THE POSTER. NO WARNING ISSUED.

Yes, self-moderation is hugely important. Posters far too often take the "free speech lets me post whatever I like and its up to the mods to sort out the abuse and get rid of it" thats bollocks IMO..its give and take..if people behave like grown adults then theres not much need for strict moderation, but sadly thats wishful thinking I think its been proven.

Yes thunda is spot on..the site must be integrated more with modern Social Media if you want to encourage younger posters. Its a vivid illustration of how fast technology moves that in the early 2000s when I first started posting here, forums such as there were as modern as it got. BBSs and IRC were the dinosaurs....move on 10 years and I doubt few people under 30 would consider joining a Forum such as this or even stumble across it unless it was somehow linked to a more modern form of Social Media. Wants kids involved? get linked to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc etc

Oh and one other suggestion.How about we get rid of that archaic "Jennifer Love Hewitt" thread eh? Great look for new younger folk or women to the Forum. A thread full of middle-aged blokes lusting over lingerie models. Awesome. Its 2013 and a football forum..not 1973 and a mechanics workshop.

Props again to Simon ( a terrific fella who Ive met numerous times) for getting the ball rolling. We already have an up to date banner..wasnt that hard was it?? :-)

Ps. Gaz most definitely doesnt talk like he posts. A good guy that Ive had run ins with on here over the journey but has never failed to shake my hand and have a beer and some Saints chat the times our paths have crossed..and thats what its all about I reckon!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

And well said to you! Much-needed common sense!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote: Ps. Gaz most definitely doesnt talk like he posts. A good guy that Ive had run ins with on here over the journey but has never failed to shake my hand and have a beer and some Saints chat the times our paths have crossed..and thats what its all about I reckon!
I am sure if we knew our fellow posters better, we would be less inclined to take umbrage at their posts. 66's post seems to indicate that.

There was once a "20 questions" thread which gave us an insight into fellow SS identities. Perhaps in the mooted revamp this could be a weekly feature. Knowledge like that might be a moderating influence on some of the personality clashes.

Buckets
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:As for the ideas, I thought I had posted earlier but cannot see the post anywhere.

With respect, you need to build from the foundations up, even with a rebuild. The site has fallen in status and conduct in the last couple of years because the owners & moderators either aren't here or don't give a s***. You want to improve? Improve them. Follow the rules and implement them. Once you have those foundations stones in place, you can add to the structure with the bells and whistles that will make this place great again.

Have a proper News forum, for example. Saintbrat would be a great person to run a forum where we would go for all news and announcements regarding StKFC. Adding multimedia facilities and the like would also enhance the site.

But I stress, implementation of the rules and the Mods should be first, second and third on the agenda.

Sounds good to me!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
saint66au wrote: Ps. Gaz most definitely doesnt talk like he posts. A good guy that Ive had run ins with on here over the journey but has never failed to shake my hand and have a beer and some Saints chat the times our paths have crossed..and thats what its all about I reckon!
I am sure if we knew our fellow posters better, we would be less inclined to take umbrage at their posts. 66's post seems to indicate that.

There was once a "20 questions" thread which gave us an insight into fellow SS identities. Perhaps in the mooted revamp this could be a weekly feature. Knowledge like that might be a moderating influence on some of the personality clashes.
Spot on to the power of umpity billion. While its everybodys right to stay "anonymous" on here, Ive met some genuinely awesome people through SS and seen at least one Forum spat sorted by a face to face meeting, discussion and a shake of hands.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

:D You lost me at 'getting rid of the JLH' thread.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for all the positive comments and good vibes.

Also the poll is brilliant. Thanks for that. Really helps focus the direction for the future and hopefully reflects the desires of the majority of posters.

Battye (who is happy to stay on board to do all the techie stuff for the forum) has said MOST of the ideas are possible.

We will try to devise strategies to:

(a) avoid spam attacks
(b) prevent trolls from impacting our forum
(c) minimise multiple personalities!

Of course, Rome (or Seaford) was not built in a day, but we will be working every day (technically nights) to make improvements to Saintsational.

Battye and HSVking and I (and others) are in discussions re the best way forward.

Priorities are:

1) Improve the level and volume of moderation on Saintsational Fan Forum (more outlined below)
2) Add features to the forum (to reflect the desires of the majority of members as outlined in this thread and the poll)
3) Re-structure the Forums and create an ANIMAL ENCLOSURE (the idea of which is evolving further) where some argy-bargy can even be entertaining
4) Re-introduce the Saintsational website (content driven) that is independent to the Club and is a hub for facebook, twitter, instagram AND this forum.
5) Make the website and forum smart phone friendly
6) Generate donations to make all of these changes possible on a long term basis (possibly even including small payment for a web manager and content)

At this stage the only thing that I am shying away from is a chat room due to the dynamic nature of these and the danger presented without full tine moderation. With the forum, twitter, facebook etc available - I think there are enough ways for anyone to communicate and interact - if they want to :-)

HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT!

Technically WE ALL own Saintsational. It is fully funded by our own donations. So when you blame the "owners" you are actually blaming ... all of us!

The admin and mods are all VOLUNTEERS.

While we (the current admins and mods and I) are working out a new (hopefully fruitful) relationship, I have become a MOD on the fan Forum, because (tragically) I am on every night and may as well put some challenge into my relaxation time! Be kind to me. Be warned I have a thick skin and I am well aware that I cannot please all of you. I shall try to be fair and give everyone an equal chance and a fair go.

My attitude to being a MOD is this (remembering that I am not speaking for other MODS - just myself) ...

(a) the rules are clearly stated at the top of the fan forum

(b) if I see you breach the rules e.g. baiting / personal abuse, then I shall PM you. NOT with a warning (at first) but a request that YOU modify your post

(c) if the post is modified, then there will be no warning at that stage (and it was all done in private), if it is not modified, then a warning will be issued

Please note: repeat behaviour of this type, where I am having to ask you to modify your post to stay within the rules, MAY result in an immediate warning

(d) a blatant MAJOR breach of rules e.g. swearing, sexism, racism etc - well I think it is only fair constitutes an immediate warning

Warnings will eventually be published on the website as will the sin bin. Whether we use 3 strikes (like the AFL drug policy) or MRP points system or the yellow card / red card system is up for debate ... this transparency will be designed to be a reference tool to what is inappropriate behaviour on the forum.

REMEMEBER - YOU OWN THIS FORUM!

I am hoping that everyone can MODIFY THEMSELVES with no insults, baiting, inappropriate sexual comments or other distasteful comments - please write in such a way that you would be happy for an 8 year old or own mother to read the content. Ideally stick within the rules on the Fan Forum PLEASE.

I am also lobbying for some additional MODS and soon I hope we can have a MOD SQUAD who have different time availabilities with perhaps 2 MODS to cover morning / noon and night times ... in an ideal world that will mean that at least 1 MOD would be around within an hour or 2 of an incident.

PLEASE use the ALERT function to report what you deem to be inappropriate content, baiting, personal insults etc because it is hard for the mods to read EVERYTHING!!!! It is anonymous to the forum, but the MODS know who has made the report. With the alert, the MODS can review the thread / comments and PM those involved to discuss appropriate behaviour. We will NOT report back to the person who raised the alarm unless they were involved.

As such, every member of Saintsational is a semi-MOD!

AND EVERY MEMBER IS A PART OWNER OF SAINTSATIONAL!

On a final note, we should all aim to make Saintsational the best fan website and fan forum in the AFL.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
markp
Saintsational Legend

Well said and good work, comrade! :wink:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Good stuff, just one thing… the ability to modify posts has recently disappeared, maybe battye can reinstate that?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Good stuff, just one thing… the ability to modify posts has recently disappeared, maybe battye can reinstate that?
Yup. As well as having to sign in everytime I visit the site.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Great work BFUSA

Stepping up to the plate and not just words.

Love the fact that multiple nics can be replaced.

One more suggestion if I may.

We need a clean slate. There are many here with long histories.

If we go to a new platform, is it possible to remove all post counts and all start from zero?

Two reasons

1) So any new poster wont be intimidated and get the obligatory n00b accusation thrown at them.

2) We are all beginning from scratch. A new forum, a new site, a new attitude, a new way of approaching this place.

Anyway as I said, I am willing to abide by any rules of moderation.

I firmly believe that one poster on here has caused an incredible amount of damage with his abuse and spamming of forums, jacking threads, and starting flame wars.

if this is stamped out, it will vastly improve the site and attract may posters who have left.

Again great work and I think we can all see there is an appetite to improve and revamp.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:

Battye and HSVking and I (and others) are in discussions re the best way forward.

care to name the others bftusa....????

there is a group on here who are bullies.....cowards really...one repeatedly posts lies about me and makes a lot of accusations...including that i use mutiple nicks...i don't.....you can look at a number of posts on this very thread....

..it is my belief that these clowns will target me if they get the chance..they are already trying.....so you can see the reason for my question.......

asiu
Saintsational Legend

haha
... already running to the new mod.
how funny.

at least , i suppose , its in public this time !

the tony abbbot of ss.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

the rat pack is starting to form...true to form......i find it disturbing that they would use a thread about reforming the forum as a means to continue their bullying and harrassement