looking for old 1990 game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

langers1971
Club Player

looking for old 1990 game

guys

i am searching for a copy of the replay of r1 1990 footscray v st kilda at western oval, it was footscrays first game since avoiding the merger the previous season, and st kilda had a big win.

if anyone has a copy of either vhs or dvd (i can convert vhs tapes to dvd) i would love to hear from you

thank you

longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: looking for old 1990 game

I thought I may be able to help, but on checking it appears I have nearly every win since 1991.
I remember the game and I was there.
Lockett was playing his first game for the year after being injured pre season.
He was only half fit and still kicked a lazy 10!
In those days only the top matches of the round were telecast and I don't think that match would have been.

One year will be our year
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I think it was Kenny Sheldon's first game as coach. We were standing under the coaches box on the Hawkins wing. Kenny won me over that day. After the win he climbed down the ladder from that stupid coaches box with a pair of St Kilda footy socks on, pulled up high with his slacks tucked into them. Pretty sure he did it for the crowd.

Think I've got the right game. Pretty sure Cuz had a big game too.

longtimesaint wrote:I thought I may be able to help, but on checking it appears I have nearly every win since 1991.
In those days only the top matches of the round were telecast and I don't think that match would have been.

i can confirm that the game was played on the sunday of round 1, and it was a 1 hour replay at 5pm.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:I thought I may be able to help, but on checking it appears I have nearly every win since 1991.
Reasonably big crowd with the majority following the Saints. Especially on the wing and behind the goals at the SIMS metal sign end of the ground. Back in those days we had a much more feral following than we do now. Rod Owen came in as a late replacement for somebody too. Remember Kenny Sheldon climbing down the fireman's ladder from the Lifesaving box they used to call the visiting coaches box on the wing during the breaks.
It was televised by the way. I remember watching it later that evening on TV. I also remember that Lockett had been in a car accident leading up to the match.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

I remember Lockett laughing at the Bulldogs defenders when he took yet another mark with about 3 of them hanging off him!
Geez I loved Plugger, we won that game but if he kicked a bag I was happy win, lose or draw!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

I was there that day. It was the Saints very first AFL game (also Chris Grants debut for the Dogs) It was during the height of Pluggers reign at St Kilda
Good times

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
Majority
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:
Reasonably big crowd with the majority following the Saints.
Who else would I follow? :wink:

The Western Oval was one of my favourite VFL grounds.
Apart from two days there when Templeton, and then years later Beasley kicked big bags of goals.
It was easy to get to, and the walk from the car to the ground was always entertaining looking at the local houses,
and their various uses for concrete where there was once gardens, or lawn.

Scoop
Club Player

langers1971 wrote:guys

i am searching for a copy of the replay of r1 1990 footscray v st kilda at western oval, it was footscrays first game since avoiding the merger the previous season, and st kilda had a big win.

if anyone has a copy of either vhs or dvd (i can convert vhs tapes to dvd) i would love to hear from you

thank you
I have the game on VHS langers.

In fact, I have most winning games (and some losses) from 1987 to about 2005, when I ran out of steam!! All on VHS.

PM me langers, if you are interested, and we can make the necessary arrangements.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Debut match for Chris Grant and Justin Charles. Not that I'm answering anyone's question with that. Also the first game I ever attended.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
paulski
Club Player

We need to get this game onto Youtube.

It was one of my favourite footy games to attend.

English soccer-like atmosphere where I was standing under the visiting coaches box!

Wish Saints fans were still that feral! I miss these days. :cry:

sainter27
Club Player

Hi guys, it would be great to get the last game of 1995 against Footscray as well on youtube if possible. Great win and
Spud's last game, if anyone has it that would be great