Lets not play the Swans in NZ next year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lets not play the Swans in NZ next year

As stated in another post the last thing the saints need is to play the Swans again next year. I know people may point to the success of the Essendon and pies game but this is completely different. The place where we are playing dont follow the game. They will easily jump off us and follow the Swans if we keep playing them and they keep winning which is more than likely in the next few years. the last thing we wont is a home game with an away game feel. We get that enough at Etihad against the big sides. Next year lets play Brisbane or GWS.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lets not play the Swans in NZ next year

Do you honestly think Demetriou understands or even cares about our team getting the support, as opposed to just turning up and supporting AFL in general?

I don't.

Therefore it's up to Netters and Casper to convince the AFL that we aren't automatically locked into Sydney every year.

They love locked in annual fixtures.

Ess Pies Anzac Day
Cats Hawks Easter Monday
Dees Pies Queens Bday
Tigers Carlscum Thursday Round 1
Saints Carlscum Monday post Mother's Day

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:As stated in another post the last thing the saints need is to play the Swans again next year. I know people may point to the success of the Essendon and pies game but this is completely different. The place where we are playing dont follow the game. They will easily jump off us and follow the Swans if we keep playing them and they keep winning which is more than likely in the next few years. the last thing we wont is a home game with an away game feel. We get that enough at Etihad against the big sides. Next year lets play Brisbane or GWS.
couldn't agree more

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Playing Sydney, and losing, won't help our popularity but it won't naturally lead to an increase in support for the Swans.

If the NZers are so anti Australia that they have to rename Auskick Kiwikick to get kids to play, then I can't see them supporting a team named after Australia's biggest city and who only fly in once a year as the away team.

But yes, let's play a team we can beat!

SaintTom
Club Player

Absolutely agree. We can easily make this part of our top request regarding fixturing going into next year.

What was the support like for us there tonight? Where we the majority or the minority? And for those who were there - where the Kiwis mainly neutral or leaning one way or the other?

Liam_G
Club Player

SaintTom wrote:What was the support like for us there tonight? Where we the majority or the minority? And for those who were there - where the Kiwis mainly neutral or leaning one way or the other?
I talked to my parents this morning, who went over, and they said Saints colours easily outnumbered Swans 15-1. This included St Kilda supporters (both Aus and NZ based) and a lot of locals. H said he talked to many locals wearing Saints beanies and scarves who said they were excited a single club was prepared to play games over there for a few years and they'll support them every year.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'm not so sure that Sydney will be better than us in say 2 years time. They seem to have as many, if not more veterans than us. For them, like us, 2 years is a bloody long time in footy !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

suss
Club Player

Tough one. If we mix up the teams we play each year, then we don't allow any other team to get a foothold. At the same time, ANZAC day is a pretty special day to be involved in. If we make Sydney the
regular opponent then the game should, in theory, become a pretty special annual fixture. I hope it is on FTA next year - it would've had great ratings last night.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

NZ will ask that we play a different side each year to maximise the tourism potential I would imagine.

A lot of people would go once to watch their team & have a holiday, but repeating it each year would be unlikely for many. GWS wouldn't be ideal for Wellington I am guessing... Maybe a Richmond or Geelong match would be good? If we get used to the ground we might be better to play a side that shares Etihad...

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Thought the same thing last night, think we need to mix it up to try and get a real stronghold over there. If in 10 years we have 10,000 3 game NZ members then we will be in a much better position financially. Once we have consolidated our position as the only supported team then we can look at making it a traditional game against the same team every season

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

We play two games there anyway. We will clearly be the Wellington regulars

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SaintTom
Club Player

Liam_G wrote:
SaintTom wrote:What was the support like for us there tonight? Where we the majority or the minority? And for those who were there - where the Kiwis mainly neutral or leaning one way or the other?
I talked to my parents this morning, who went over, and they said Saints colours easily outnumbered Swans 15-1. This included St Kilda supporters (both Aus and NZ based) and a lot of locals. H said he talked to many locals wearing Saints beanies and scarves who said they were excited a single club was prepared to play games over there for a few years and they'll support them every year.
Fantastic news! This is exactly what we're after. Although we didn't take the points last night, I reckon we played a game of footy that new supporters can rally around. Honest football with a few flashes of brilliance (like the Steven and Monty goals). I'm happy to permanently play 2 games a year in Wellington if we can build to a solid NZ membership base. Great initiative by the club.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Playing Sydney, and losing, won't help our popularity but it won't naturally lead to an increase in support for the Swans.

If the NZers are so anti Australia that they have to rename Auskick Kiwikick to get kids to play, then I can't see them supporting a team named after Australia's biggest city and who only fly in once a year as the away team.

But yes, let's play a team we can beat!
You forget Doc that there are nearly as many Kiwis in Sydney as in NZ, they all have relatives there.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Brisbane on Anzac day next year which is great. GWS is the other ideal team for the second game. It sounds like they want a side from the eastern border which makes sense. And there is no point at all playing a Victorian side.
Last edited by plugger66 on Sat 27 Apr 2013 9:22am, edited 1 time in total.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We were supposed to be playing Brisbane there in the first place, weren't we?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
lloyd21
Club Player

Quiet word is next year will be a Queensland team

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Looks like Brisbane on Anzac day next year which is great. GWS is the other ideal team for the second game. It sounds like they want a side from the eastern boarder which makes sense. And there is no point at all playing a Victorian side.
Is next year's FIXture out already? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Looks like Brisbane on Anzac day next year which is great. GWS is the other ideal team for the second game. It sounds like they want a side from the eastern boarder which makes sense. And there is no point at all playing a Victorian side.

I doubt it. No one has mentioned it.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:

I must have a reading difficulty !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:

I must have a reading difficulty !!

Eastern I think that is one game. The fixture is 23 rounds. I think you are right.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Talk about thinking in the moment.

Who is to say that GC or Bris are going to be easy beats in a year.

This time last year you would have said lets play port adelaide.

We should be thinking we can beat any team, and forget the crystal ball stuff

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
70s sainter
Club Player

The saints couldn't be that soft to allow us to play sydney there again next year could they?.........then again it could happen. Before we know it sydney will be pencilling the game in every year and promoting themselves in n.z.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:As stated in another post the last thing the saints need is to play the Swans again next year. I know people may point to the success of the Essendon and pies game but this is completely different. The place where we are playing dont follow the game. They will easily jump off us and follow the Swans if we keep playing them and they keep winning which is more than likely in the next few years. the last thing we wont is a home game with an away game feel. We get that enough at Etihad against the big sides. Next year lets play Brisbane or GWS.
100% agree. I know the AFL has stated it wants 'strong clubs' to showcase in NZ, but I would much prefer to play someone who we might actually have a chance of beating so that we can actually build a following and hopefully a membership base. Melbourne would be the club I would be requesting.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Disaster written all over it if we play Sydney every year.

Sydney is also full of NZ expats,

Playing a regular opponent:

* minimises any growth in membership

* gives any sponsors keen on Aust/NZ branding two teams to pick from, and they will go with the one playing finals

* gives them effectively the same home ground benefits as us...but we have to give up an actual home game for a neutral benefit

The game is meant be about what is good for the Saints.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gee the white flag is up, isn't it??

Surely the swans are ready for their natural decline as suggested is the excuse for us...

They've been up since 2003

I suggest he GC.... But they beat us, maybe GWS

Maybe the AFL will let us play Frankston Dolphins to ensue us a win??