Entry Song for Saints? AFL request

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Entry Song for Saints? AFL request

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/me ... 6551368889

THE AFL is following the lead of professional wrestling by asking clubs to find a pre-match entrance song for 2013.
While the song is not compulsory, clubs have been encouraged to find a suitable anthem that can inspire players and fans before teams hit the field this season.

Renowned in pro wrestling circles, the entrance song is common in US sports including Major League Baseball, National Hockey League, college football and the UFC.

Richmond tested the water last season by playing Welcome to the Jungle by Guns n Roses at some matches and Melbourne is exploring the possibility of a tribal theme for 2013.

The Demons made the brave (crazy?) move of asking for suggestions on its Facebook and Twitter accounts yesterday, and both were swamped with suggestions.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

any suggestions of something original for the Saints? of just a jazz version of our club Song.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Entry Song for Saints? AFL request

Shame Gardi retired ;)

StGoddard18
Club Player

There is a good green day song that says something like "the saints are coming". I personally would love Kashmir by Lez Zeppelin.

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Are You Ready- AC/DC Hells Bells AC/DC

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

StGoddard18 wrote:There is a good green day song that says something like "the saints are coming". I personally would love Kashmir by Lez Zeppelin.
Kashmir would be incredible.

But seriously, this is a terrible idea by the AFL. They're really trying to Americanize pre-game entertainment and the whole live game experience. Even the guy whipping up the crowd over the PA at Etihad is annoying enough. Just let people enjoy a day/night at the footy in (relative) peace, without bombarding them with loud adverts on the big screen, loud music and bands etc etc

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StGoddard18 wrote:There is a good green day song that says something like "the saints are coming". I personally would love Kashmir by Lez Zeppelin.

was tried around this time.... Can't believe it was 2006

must be time for a new youtube shoopdancer2504 - nothing for 2 years......
http://www.youtube.com/user/shoopdancer ... eos?view=0

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
philtee
Club Player

Vast ages of time ago, sometime in the 90s, Fitzroy or Footscray would pump up their crowd with AC/DC's Thunderstruck just before the first bounce.
It was a bad idea then, and it's a bad idea now.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I'm just a gigolo. David Lee Roth.

Club Player

We Weren't Born to Follow - Bon Jovi...
We weren't born to follow
C'mon and get up off your knees
When life is a bitter pill to swallow
You gotta hold on for what you believe
Believe that the sun will shine tomorrow
Even your Saints and Sinners bleed
We weren't born to follow
You gotta stand up for what you believe
Let me hear you say "Yeah!Yeah!Yeah!Oh Yeah"...

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

When the Saints come Marching In seems pretty appropriate.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

FFS, why isn't the traditional club song good enough? All the fans can identify with it and sing along and clap to it. This idea of piping some irrelevant tune is so CORNY and contrived. Typical of the AFL wanting to introduce more Mickey Mouse stuff to our game.

How clichéd can you get with 'welcome to jungle' or any rock anthem or pop song for that matter. This idea belongs (and should stay) with professional wrestling.

BS-free Australian Rules Football would be refreshing. But that's a little too much to ask for with the contemporary game being more and more saturated in crass commericalism.

Just my 2cents worth...

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/me ... 6551368889

THE AFL is following the lead of professional wrestling by asking clubs to find a pre-match entrance song for 2013.
While the song is not compulsory, clubs have been encouraged to find a suitable anthem that can inspire players and fans before teams hit the field this season.

Renowned in pro wrestling circles, the entrance song is common in US sports including Major League Baseball, National Hockey League, college football and the UFC.

Richmond tested the water last season by playing Welcome to the Jungle by Guns n Roses at some matches and Melbourne is exploring the possibility of a tribal theme for 2013.

The Demons made the brave (crazy?) move of asking for suggestions on its Facebook and Twitter accounts yesterday, and both were swamped with suggestions.

any suggestions of something original for the Saints? of just a jazz version of our club Song.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What a horrible idea!!!!!!

"While the song is not compulsory, clubs have been encouraged to find a suitable anthem that can inspire players and fans before teams hit the field this season."

What the hell are the club theme songs supposed to be????

They've played rock/pop hits at etihad right up until the first bounce before, some Jet songs, they even did play kashmir once, I think, and its absolutely s*** in regards to killing off the natural pre-game atmosphere of an AFL footy match, which is an entity all of its own. Every true football fan knows that feeling before a big match, with that gnawing at the gut and that restlessness to get into the contest, its an amazing thing unique to our amazing game. God damn the AFL to hell for bastardizing our game with this rubbish.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Pass the bong - Ween

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:They've played rock/pop hits at etihad right up until the first bounce before, some Jet songs, they even did play kashmir once, I think, and its absolutely s*** in regards to killing off the natural pre-game atmosphere of an AFL footy match, which is an entity all of its own. Every true football fan knows that feeling before a big match, with that gnawing at the gut and that restlessness to get into the contest, its an amazing thing unique to our amazing game. God damn the AFL to hell for bastardizing our game with this rubbish.
AMEN!

Unfortunately, the wowzers who are the AFL never seem to care about what the real grass roots footy supporter feels passionately for.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hot potato, hot potato
By the wiggles.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I still love anything by doctor alban - melbourne tigers style or venga boys would be good. The guys that choose musical themes for sporting clubs are always on the money leave it to the experts.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

hungry for a premiership wrote:
saintbrat wrote:http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/me ... 6551368889

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

What a horrible idea!!!!!!

"While the song is not compulsory, clubs have been encouraged to find a suitable anthem that can inspire players and fans before teams hit the field this season."

What the hell are the club theme songs supposed to be????

They've played rock/pop hits at etihad right up until the first bounce before, some Jet songs, they even did play kashmir once, I think, and its absolutely s*** in regards to killing off the natural pre-game atmosphere of an AFL footy match, which is an entity all of its own. Every true football fan knows that feeling before a big match, with that gnawing at the gut and that restlessness to get into the contest, its an amazing thing unique to our amazing game. God damn the AFL to hell for bastardizing our game with this rubbish.
Sainternist wrote:FFS, why isn't the traditional club song good enough? All the fans can identify with it and sing along and clap to it. This idea of piping some irrelevant tune is so CORNY and contrived. Typical of the AFL wanting to introduce more Mickey Mouse stuff to our game.

How clichéd can you get with 'welcome to jungle' or any rock anthem or pop song for that matter. This idea belongs (and should stay) with professional wrestling.

BS-free Australian Rules Football would be refreshing. But that's a little too much to ask for with the contemporary game being more and more saturated in crass commericalism.

Just my 2cents worth...
Thank Gawd for HFAP and Sainternist for some sanity on this thread!!!

Both your posts are worth infinitely more than '2 cents worth'!
:idea: :idea: :idea:

Why, why, why are we so intent on embracing the most cringe-worthy elements of American society???

What's next, bring back pom-pom girls in their tacky outfits performing their embarrassing routines to make sure that young women get the message as to their true standing in society!?! Hey, why not? Coz it seems clear to me that too many of them have forgotten...! :idea:

Then we can go all leatherheads to once and for all address the interchange bench issue. Again, why not??? As soon as one of our few remaining poor kicks turns it over... stop the match... everyone off... on comes our defending team, and on comes their offensive team (except for the Skunks who's whole team/whole club is offensive)... and so on...

Why play 120 minutes, when you can play an actual 11 like gridion???
TV advertisers' dream.
So much more time for certain of our 'more gregarious' Saintsationalists to introduce themselves to young ladies in their vicinity.

Come on Andy D, you know it's a good idea... do it!!! Start this fall. :idea:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :roll: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

saintbrat wrote:The Demons made the brave (crazy?) move of asking for suggestions on its Facebook and Twitter accounts yesterday, and both were swamped with suggestions.
What? Is that rabble actually still in the league!?! :shock:

Why ever for??? We already have the annual 'Richmond will make the finals' running-joke for comic relief?

Oh well, if that's case, what's wrong with the perfectly acceptable and appropriate theme song they already have??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... GCoAFZiYMw

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

So when the umpires come out they'll play " send in the clowns !"

Bulldogs " who let the dogs out "
Swans " Horse with no name "
Suns "windmills of your mind "
Gws " the nosebleed section "
Port " Your beautiful "
Blues " in the navy "
demons " the only way is up "
Pies " gansta's paradise "
Crows " achy breaky heart "
Hawks " shud uppa ya face "
Cats " whats new pussycat "
Bombers " you spin me round "
Brisbane " the lion sleeps tonight "
Wc " cocaine "
tigers " don't worry be happy "
north "walk like an egyptian "
Freo " stuck with you "

And of course the mighty Saints can come out to " don't dream it's over "
or maybe " blame it on the rain "

In red white and black from 73
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote: The Demons made the brave (crazy?) move of asking for suggestions on its Facebook and Twitter accounts yesterday, and both were swamped with suggestions.

"Tanks for the memories, Tanks for the memories...."

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

They should run onto the ground with neck to knee swimsuits and bowler hats to the tune of "I do love to be beside the seaside"

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saintbrat wrote: The Demons made the brave (crazy?) move of asking for suggestions on its Facebook and Twitter accounts yesterday, and both were swamped with suggestions.

"Tanks for the memories, Tanks for the memories...."
Brilliant!!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

StGoddard18 wrote:There is a good green day song that says something like "the saints are coming"
Actually U2 featuring Greenday I think. Remember hearing it at Etihad at a U2 gig a fee years ago, great song. Starts with a kind of haunting rendition of house of the rising sun which would send goosebumps up ya before a game. I believe the song is anti American government for the debacle that occurred down South after the New Orleans hurricane. Very little to be inspired about apart from a reference to Saints in the chorus - good enough for me! haha

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Baby Elephant Walk. Demetriou as band leader. College style big band following.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Pass the bong - Ween
A Tear for Eddie would be perfect. Everyone could just mellow out and relax before getting down to business.

Quixote
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:Pass the bong - Ween
Maybe 'Your Party' by the same band. Just to add a surreal element to an already silly idea.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo