Late trade (not completed)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Late trade (not completed)

So The Age reports that we tried an 11th hour deal after Hooker said no to playing WAFL football for the next couple of years. The deal was to swap our pick 25/26 with Geelong and pick up their 16th pick in return, to be ontraded to WC. WC said they didn't have enough time to digest it so the deal wasn't done. It begs the question though, would our draft position have improved if we'd done the deal for us and are we really in such a poor position?

I'm going from memory here so forgive my inaccuracy but we started the period like this (just using 1st & 2nd round or live picks only),

12, 13, 37

Ended it like this,

25, 26, 41, 44 (with Hickey, Lee & TDL chucked in)

Could have been,

16, 41, 44 (with H, L, & TDL).

So looking at that we could have basically gotten Lee and Hickey with 12 & a 3 spot downgrade. I know there was a lot more at play here but just putting it out there.

The way it sits now, we are still in a relatively strong position but would seem with 25/26 we can get some very good players who could have been taken with 12/13 (we just wont get to be too choosey if we go with best available). It does give us a chance to have a high pick on a mid & also a kpp which tips the odds in our favour. Anyway, enough 3am ramblings for me. What are everyones thoughts on this. (I think we did fantastically well, once I get past losing BJ and expecting miracles).

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Late trade (not completed)

Pick 16 for a guy not getting a game at the Eagles would be way over the top IMO. Either The Age got it wrong or we did.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
lloyd21
Club Player

Goddard

I am intrigued by all the hype over losing a half back flanker for 800 k for 4 years forget listening to idiots like Damien Barrett to restructure the stkilda list was a 2 year process .One of the high paid had to go. Why not the bloke who refused all year to sign a deal.Really think young guys like Stanley. Sipposs. Steven. Simpkin. Newnes. Fitzgerald , Ledger. Saad will be all very very good players.if you put another year of development. Then bye bye Kosi. Gram. Blake . More development into Hickey 10 year player. Lee a 10 year player Markworth Webster. Gee. I think we are reasonable shape to stay around the mark.

lloyd21
Club Player

Goddard

I am intrigued by all the hype over losing a half back flanker for 800 k for 4 years forget listening to idiots like Damien Barrett to restructure the stkilda list was a 2 year process .One of the high paid had to go. Why not the bloke who refused all year to sign a deal.Really think young guys like Stanley. Sipposs. Steven. Simpkin. Newnes. Fitzgerald , Ledger. Saad will be all very very good players.if you put another year of development. Then bye bye Kosi. Gram. Blake . More development into Hickey 10 year player. Lee a 10 year player Markworth Webster. Gee. I think we are reasonable shape to stay around the mark.

SaintTom
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:Pick 16 for a guy not getting a game at the Eagles would be way over the top IMO. Either The Age got it wrong or we did.

Seems too random for the Age to make up. It's way over, I think the Saints and Eagles are equally stupid (us for tabling that offer, and them for rejecting it). And I prefer having 25 and 26 as opposed to 16. 16 is no guarantee of being a star, and 25 and 26 doubles our chances and is still fairly high in the draft (if what is said about this draft can be believed). Thinking we may use one of those picks on someone like Jacobs (seems to fit the mould and age group we're trying to bring in) and the other on the 'best available' talent. Neither of the other clubs who want Jacobs (Dons or North) have a pick before us (apart from North's pick 15 - but they steadfastly refused to trade that for Jacobs, so I don't see them all of a sudden using it on him in the draft) That's my bet, anyway.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

How in 3 weeks of this drawn out BS of a trade peroid does a club come in too late with a trade?

Im thankfull it didnt get done because it would have been stupid but still, they had 3 bloody weeks.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

SaintTom wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Pick 16 for a guy not getting a game at the Eagles would be way over the top IMO. Either The Age got it wrong or we did.

Seems too random for the Age to make up. It's way over, I think the Saints and Eagles are equally stupid (us for tabling that offer, and them for rejecting it). And I prefer having 25 and 26 as opposed to 16. 16 is no guarantee of being a star, and 25 and 26 doubles our chances and is still fairly high in the draft (if what is said about this draft can be believed). Thinking we may use one of those picks on someone like Jacobs (seems to fit the mould and age group we're trying to bring in) and the other on the 'best available' talent. Neither of the other clubs who want Jacobs (Dons or North) have a pick before us (apart from North's pick 15 - but they steadfastly refused to trade that for Jacobs, so I don't see them all of a sudden using it on him in the draft) That's my bet, anyway.
If Jacobs is best available then sure. But I'm hoping we get a slider or two. The good thing about spending 26 in the draft is that you at least know who is available or gone at that pick.

Strength through Loyalty
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:

the coach has confirmed that a deal was nearly done...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Thank God that WC "ran out of time to digest this trade". In 12 months time we will be greatful that this trade fell through. I cannot believe Watter's obsession with Mitch Brown. Other than size, he is a crap footballer. My brother is a WC supporter and he was hysterical with laughter at with how infatuated the Saints seemed to be over what he classifies as a "Dud".

defacto
Club Player

Kick-it-lace-out wrote:Thank God that WC "ran out of time to digest this trade". In 12 months time we will be greatful that this trade fell through. I cannot believe Watter's obsession with Mitch Brown. Other than size, he is a crap footballer. My brother is a WC supporter and he was hysterical with laughter at with how infatuated the Saints seemed to be over what he classifies as a "Dud".
+1 his wafl grand final was pathetic.

should have seen his awesome kicking. OOB on the full from a free kick under no pressure.

we ddint dodge a bullet on this one. we dodge a god damn world ending nuke.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

defacto wrote:
Kick-it-lace-out wrote:Thank God that WC "ran out of time to digest this trade". In 12 months time we will be greatful that this trade fell through. I cannot believe Watter's obsession with Mitch Brown. Other than size, he is a crap footballer. My brother is a WC supporter and he was hysterical with laughter at with how infatuated the Saints seemed to be over what he classifies as a "Dud".

should have seen his awesome kicking. OOB on the full from a free kick under no pressure.

I still can't fathom that we were willing to lose 25, 26 and Cripps for Brown. The guy can't even crack a regular game at the Eagles. I am so glad that this deal fell through. Thank you, West Coast!

Scoop
Club Player

sainterinsydney wrote:
defacto wrote:

I still can't fathom that we were willing to lose 25, 26 and Cripps for Brown. The guy can't even crack a regular game at the Eagles. I am so glad that this deal fell through. Thank you, West Coast!
I agree....

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I'm telling you they were obsessed with spending every decent pick this year....like there was no tomorrow

Nee!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

For crying out loud is it so friggin hard for you numbskulls to see that it was Pelch hutchy and Elsh decision to go hard for brown ..NOT WATTERS !! He is the coach his job is to coach the players his recruiters get for him ! Yes he has a say in who is picked but the recruiters the football manager build the team ! It's not 2004 anymore we don't have a GT style coach who does every thing ... If its all Watters doing the heck lets save some big $$$ and get rid of the recruitment team and Football manager roles because if they are not doing their job what's the point of having them ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:For crying out loud is it so friggin hard for you numbskulls to see that it was Pelch hutchy and Elsh decision to go hard for brown ..NOT WATTERS !! He is the coach his job is to coach the players his recruiters get for him ! Yes he has a say in who is picked but the recruiters the football manager build the team ! It's not 2004 anymore we don't have a GT style coach who does every thing ... If its all Watters doing the heck lets save some big $$$ and get rid of the recruitment team and Football manager roles because if they are not doing their job what's the point of having them ??
Stop getting personal!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
St Lenny
Club Player

Because one person thinks he is a dud, doesnt make him one. A lot of people think Raph Clark is a great player, yet how many offers did we get for him..................

|Andy|
Club Player

I think the point of this thread is to say that even though everyone is up in arms about us trading our first round picks, the reality is that Geelong was willing to trade pick 16 for our two second rounders that we got. So all up, we really only used the equivalent of one first rounder pick (12) and a 3 spot downgrade on another (13) for Tom Lee and Hickey, which isn't as bad a move as people were claiming it was.

defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:For crying out loud is it so friggin hard for you numbskulls to see that it was Pelch hutchy and Elsh decision to go hard for brown ..NOT WATTERS !! He is the coach his job is to coach the players his recruiters get for him ! Yes he has a say in who is picked but the recruiters the football manager build the team ! It's not 2004 anymore we don't have a GT style coach who does every thing ... If its all Watters doing the heck lets save some big $$$ and get rid of the recruitment team and Football manager roles because if they are not doing their job what's the point of having them ??
out of interest how would you rate brown?

personally i think hes an over-rated spud definetly not worth cripps + pick 25 + pick 26.

kos
Club Player

Re: Goddard

lloyd21 wrote:I am intrigued by all the hype over losing a half back flanker for 800 k for 4 years forget listening to idiots like Damien Barrett to restructure the stkilda list was a 2 year process .One of the high paid had to go. Why not the bloke who refused all year to sign a deal.Really think young guys like Stanley. Sipposs. Steven. Simpkin. Newnes. Fitzgerald , Ledger. Saad will be all very very good players.if you put another year of development. Then bye bye Kosi. Gram. Blake . More development into Hickey 10 year player. Lee a 10 year player Markworth Webster. Gee. I think we are reasonable shape to stay around the mark.
Fitzgerald?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

|Andy| wrote:I think the point of this thread is to say that even though everyone is up in arms about us trading our first round picks, the reality is that Geelong was willing to trade pick 16 for our two second rounders that we got. So all up, we really only used the equivalent of one first rounder pick (12) and a 3 spot downgrade on another (13) for Tom Lee and Hickey, which isn't as bad a move as people were claiming it was.
Cheers, I think my original points were lost somewhere along the way!

Strength through Loyalty
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Goddard

kos wrote:
lloyd21 wrote:I am intrigued by all the hype over losing a half back flanker for 800 k for 4 years forget listening to idiots like Damien Barrett to restructure the stkilda list was a 2 year process .One of the high paid had to go. Why not the bloke who refused all year to sign a deal.Really think young guys like Stanley. Sipposs. Steven. Simpkin. Newnes. Fitzgerald , Ledger. Saad will be all very very good players.if you put another year of development. Then bye bye Kosi. Gram. Blake . More development into Hickey 10 year player. Lee a 10 year player Markworth Webster. Gee. I think we are reasonable shape to stay around the mark.
Fitzgerald?
Ferguson?

Strength through Loyalty
Scoop
Club Player

With all due respect Trav.....when it comes to trading for established AFL players....the coach has a lot of say....

It's the drafting of unknown kids (to them) that they defer to the recruiting staff....

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!